Diablo® III

1.0.4 Witch Doctor Thorn Builds

08/28/2012 09:21 PMPosted by Rhest
Nice input and build. Never thought of using horrify much as well as medusa spiders. How is the self-healing without LoH going for you?

As I said earlier, I'm healed by the thorn damage, about 11k per sec (when the thorn triggered). and also getting a bonus from health globe, also healing journey for emergency. thats all. all i do is just stay out of trouble using horrify, grasp, spirit walk, and medusa spiders. the great thing with medusa spider is, after the patch, the spider move quite fast, swarming the monsters and i just get out from the danger. n of course, dont have to aim much.
Reply Quote
08/28/2012 09:41 PMPosted by Imhotep
Nice input and build. Never thought of using horrify much as well as medusa spiders. How is the self-healing without LoH going for you?

As I said earlier, I'm healed by the thorn damage, about 11k per sec (when the thorn triggered). and also getting a bonus from health globe, also healing journey for emergency. thats all. all i do is just stay out of trouble using horrify, grasp, spirit walk, and medusa spiders. the great thing with medusa spider is, after the patch, the spider move quite fast, swarming the monsters and i just get out from the danger. n of course, dont have to aim much.

Hold on, you are saying that thorns trigger your LoH?
Reply Quote

I think he is referring to the life steal that leeching dogs do. 20% of 10k thorn dmg x 5 pets. (forgot.. need to half it again...)

Not really LOH.
Edited by loboSG#6944 on 8/28/2012 10:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Posted by Imhotep

Yes, I'm referring to the leeching dog. I'm not sure about LoH
Reply Quote
Posted by Imhotep

Yes, I'm referring to the leeching dog. I'm not sure about LoH

Oh I totally forgot about that. 50% of the life leech also goes to YOU, don't they? The life gained can help you survive better, considering that it is more difficult to keep you alive than your pets. Combine that with the damage that thorns do, this is starting to look VERY interesting.

08/28/2012 10:40 PMPosted by Reek
Peter's world about to be shattered. Must buy thorn gear before confirmation.

lol I'm not against this build. I'm just not sure if it is efficient. For example, this is guaranteed to be great on trash mobs and certain elites, but not sure about bosses.
Edited by Peter#1403 on 8/29/2012 12:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Oh I totally forgot about that. 50% of the life leech also goes to YOU, don't they? The life gained can help you survive better, considering that it is more difficult to keep you alive than your pets. Combine that with the damage that thorns do, this is starting to look VERY interesting.

08/28/2012 10:40 PMPosted by Reek
Peter's world about to be shattered. Must buy thorn gear before confirmation.

lol I'm not against this build. I'm just not sure if it is efficient. For example, this is guaranteed to be great on trash mobs and certain elites, but not sure about bosses.

Yes, i do gain a lot of life due to leeching dogs n health globe.
Also, the build really work wonders with mob. the more the better! there are time that i just afk n let them do the work. ;-) because of i still in early act 2, the only boss that i have experienced was the butcher. and like u said, my pets survived better than me. haha. while i was running around dodging attacks like there's no tomorrow, my pets laugh at me while taking a stroll kicking the butcher's round butt. hahah.

Btw, what concerns me the most is the ratio of damage output to monster HP. i'm afraid that in higher levels, the damage output can't do massive damage...somehow, I still need to upgrade to a better eq, getting more INT for damage. but for experimental thorn build, i think we have proven that it works
Edited by Imhotep#6272 on 8/29/2012 12:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
08/29/2012 12:36 AMPosted by Imhotep
Btw, what concerns me the most is the ratio of damage output to monster HP. i'm afraid that in higher levels, the damage output can't do massive damage...somehow, I still need to upgrade to a better eq, getting more INT for damage. but for experimental thorn build, i think we have proven that it works

The other concern is the number of mobs that do NOT deal melee dmg. Those you have to kill yourself. and if you gave up some dps, or defence for thorns...
Reply Quote
So last night I tried out dropping Jungle for Blood Rit. It worked well, until I ran into elites or molten, or anything not melee. The extra 20% really seems to help my build.

This morning, I put Jungle back in and am doing better. Currently, I'm in Zultan's Archives and anything fire related just kills my pets. I mean destroys them, all of them included the garg.

I'm not sure if it is due to a lack of Resist All (i know mine is low) or what. Not sure how well this build is going to work for me unless I improve armor and resist all.

I'd appreciate any feedback :). I think my DPS and Vitality is in check for what you'd expect to see from a thorns build.
Reply Quote
hey rodolpho, i looked at your build/items etc and yeah you have pretty low resists, but great vitality. id reccomend looking for armor pieces that have lower int and higher resist all. even though i dont have a 60 WD yet, i found some gear that is pretty good for a thorns build WD with either very low int or even no int if the +allresist/vitality/%life/thorns is good enough
im gearing up so that when i hit 60 with my WD i can try out this build haha but im pretty sure the idea is to get more resists/armor/life over intel to start with (thorns does all the damage to begin with) and then once you have good tanking ability you can start trying to get epic gear with good resists/armor/thorns/vit/%life as well as int
if you have a look on the AH for some of the low int gear you can get really good deals for this build (i geared up with a good helm, two rings, shoulders and bracers for 200k and im sure you can get better deals if you shop around i was just impatient)
Reply Quote
True, i think once his resists are up he'll have a blast with it. My thorns are about 1/3 of his but they do the job for my balanced build. Really interested in seeing how well a nearly full thorn will do.
Reply Quote
can someone post a video of what it plays like? im a little bit curious on this build
Reply Quote
hey guys, does pierce the veil stack with thorns? and if so does it work with pets' thorns and attack damage?
Reply Quote
I'm not nearly as geared as some of you, but here is the build I've been using in the beginning of act 2.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WRUPYT!WgV!baZZYa
I will probably switch to healing journey, and leeching beasts when my pets start dieing more.

A couple of questions that I haven't been able to figure out.
-Does the thorns damage transfer to fetishes? I'm not sure because they are not just duration pets like spider queen, from what I can tell they can die to damage.
-Does Pierce the Veil affect the thorns damage?

I haven't really been able to figure either of these out.
Nice to see others using the thorns build.
Reply Quote
I'm not nearly as geared as some of you, but here is the build I've been using in the beginning of act 2.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WRUPYT!WgV!baZZYa
I will probably switch to healing journey, and leeching beasts when my pets start dieing more.

A couple of questions that I haven't been able to figure out.
-Does the thorns damage transfer to fetishes? I'm not sure because they are not just duration pets like spider queen, from what I can tell they can die to damage.
-Does Pierce the Veil affect the thorns damage?

I haven't really been able to figure either of these out.
Nice to see others using the thorns build.

thats what i was wondering, because if fetishes count as pets then the fetish sycophant passive choice and the fetish army rune choice u have would be a great increase in dps
ill come back and check on this thread in a while to see if anyone knows if thorns/life regeneration transfers to fetishes/if thorns gains increased damage from pierce the veil

EDIT: can someone test out the fetishes & whether they trigger thorns by equipping thorns gear with no weapon/a terrible weapon and summoning the fetishes in act3/4 normal? i would but my witch doc is underlevelled
Edited by beauzulu#6152 on 8/29/2012 6:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks for the input again! Ive been caught up with GRE studying lately but ill find time this week to make a video highlighting the playstyle and to test those theories mentioned above.

Cheers
Reply Quote
hey rodolpho, i looked at your build/items etc and yeah you have pretty low resists, but great vitality. id reccomend looking for armor pieces that have lower int and higher resist all. even though i dont have a 60 WD yet, i found some gear that is pretty good for a thorns build WD with either very low int or even no int if the +allresist/vitality/%life/thorns is good enough
im gearing up so that when i hit 60 with my WD i can try out this build haha but im pretty sure the idea is to get more resists/armor/life over intel to start with (thorns does all the damage to begin with) and then once you have good tanking ability you can start trying to get epic gear with good resists/armor/thorns/vit/%life as well as int
if you have a look on the AH for some of the low int gear you can get really good deals for this build (i geared up with a good helm, two rings, shoulders and bracers for 200k and im sure you can get better deals if you shop around i was just impatient)

08/29/2012 04:52 AMPosted by Kushinade
True, i think once his resists are up he'll have a blast with it. My thorns are about 1/3 of his but they do the job for my balanced build. Really interested in seeing how well a nearly full thorn will do.

So I spent gold in the AH and upgrade my gear. I dropped a ton of Vit (not sure how comfortable I am with this yet, but I guess time will tell) and got a ton of All resists. The only item I need to increase my AR on is the belt (which I have a bid on one).

Thoughts on the gear now?
Edited by Rodolpho#1977 on 8/29/2012 8:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote

08/29/2012 04:52 AMPosted by Kushinade

So I spent gold in the AH and upgrade my gear. I dropped a ton of Vit (not sure how comfortable I am with this yet, but I guess time will tell) and got a ton of All resists. The only item I need to increase my AR on is the belt (which I have a bid on one).

Thoughts on the gear now?

it looks much better now! go and give it a go and if it doesnt feel right or you are dying too much then have a look into your vitality/AR/armor (maybe you might need to use horrify with the armor rune for a while untill you get epic gear, im not sure - you need to judge this yourself) and if you are breezing through then maybe look into changing out jungle fortitude for pierce the veil

also, you can go the route of rhest (his build is http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#RhUYdT!gcd!aaccYa ) who is taking advantage of life on hit with his locust swarm to heal damage he takes from blood ritual. this allows him to keep constant DoT's on enemies as well as use acid cloud more and also gives more life regen to his pets. so have a look at what he is doing and see if you want to emulate anything there

tell us how it goes and if you like the changes you made

EDIT: remember that dropping some vit for AR is sometimes a good thing because AR benefits your zombie dogs, which means more sustained healing/completely self sustaining tanks
Edited by beauzulu#6152 on 8/29/2012 9:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Yes!!! Won the belt. I also managed to grab a new set of gloves.

My resist is now pretty damn good total. It could obviously be better but it is a good start at 3x what it was originally.

I may very well drop grasp and pick up locust swarm. RoT gives me my LoH so I need to keep that. I may need to throw in Horrify for another "o crap" option too. Going to give this armor and build a shot after I get home from work and report back later tonight.
Reply Quote
Just did some testing and I did not see thorns damage go off for fetishes, and Pierce the Veil did not affect thorns damage. oh well tine to adjust the spec/
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]