Diablo® III

1.0.4 Witch Doctor Thorn Builds

This is an AMAZING build. Pretty awesome stuff. I'm testing it on Act 2 right now, the single yellows take awhile to kill cause my DPS is down to about 11k, but the thorns definitely shines through on the normal mobs.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/FriskyFerret-1375/hero/235418

My LoH is only 508, but it's a great feeling watching my pets HP almost NEVER drop.
Reply Quote
Loving this thread. Cleared inferno with a similar build. I sport 2.3k life regen instead of LoH. I have a problem with breaking the 10k thorns barrier without sacrificing DPS or vit. Any tips?
Reply Quote
Great thread, I absolutely love this build. I've been playing a glascannon Demon Hunter and after stumbling upon this thread yesterday I immediately switched to my old Witch Doctor to try it out - been having a blast ever since.

I think I got some decent deals on the auction house for only 1 day but obviously there are some item slots missing. For example I only have about 300 LoH and 0 life reg.
Right now it looks like this:

~52k hp
~700 all res
~35k dps unbuffed & ~7k thorns if I use my mojo (solo play)
~25k dps unbuffed & ~10k thorns if I usy my shield (party play)

I am doing full a3 runs at the moment and if I pay attention I basically don't die at all. Some elites take a little longer to kill but overall it's going very smooth.

Thanks a lot for this thread and keep it going!
Reply Quote
Just wanted to jump in with my 2c.

Been playing thorns since before 1.0.4 and it is MASSVELY improved now... no LOH needed, hungering beast means my 20k thorns nearly replenishes all life lost.
However I am the first to admit that at only 16k dps it is SLOW on certain mobs. makes you want to just skip em like the bad/good old days of inferno. Currently my build will solo seigebreaker with no dmg taken (damn guy LOVES my doggies) and I have been helping my friends through act 3 inferno (as I grind through it myself) And here in I come to the point.

This is not great solo because of the low direct and targitable dmg, although you can slowly grind your way through). but get in a group and you increase EVERYONES survivability 10x and thats where the fun truely starts. as you can probably see my build focusses around pet/my survivability and targeted CC (ignore PtV it is just for solo) this kind of build is invaluble to any group in inferno pets need next to no baby sitting I just have to keep myself alive (and my abilities that do that also help out the dogs)

Love thorns... love what the patch has turned me into... yeah just love the WD tank!

edit: also that is my weak shield for a bit of extra dmg,
Edited by Wookiee#1827 on 8/29/2012 11:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
If you're having some trouble with damage, try swapping locusts with something like spirit barrage/phantasm and a 2H weapon. In most cases your thorns will be fine with other gear, but the high weapon damage there can help.

The stationary attack of barrage is good when the pets are tanking. Also haunt's high damage is worth a shot at its long range.
Reply Quote
Well, I just read this post and saw some mistakes, (I don't know if someone said anything about them later)...

I'm a very casual player, but I like the summoning way, so I've made some "test" to see some things.

First:
-Zombie dogs can´t heal with their thorn dmg, because a proc doesn´t proc a proc. (tested)
So you don't heal yourself nor the dogs with Leeching Beasts... (talking about thorn dmg)

Second:
-Fierce Loyalty gives your pets thorns and life regeneration benefits from ITEMS, so things like Healing Journey or Blood ritual have no effects on them.
Edited by DaemonRah#1372 on 8/30/2012 9:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Second:
-Fierce Loyalty gives your pets thorns and life regeneration benefits from ITEMS, so things like Healing Journey or Blood ritual have no effects on them.

Not true.
Look at your life regen stat when you use these. It goes up. I have noticed a massive spike in my pets HPs when i hit healing journey.
Reply Quote

Second:

Not true.
Look at your life regen stat when you use these. It goes up. I have noticed a massive spike in my pets HPs when i hit healing journey.

I'll experiment on that then. (Act I inferno, 1 dog, wait till hes almost dying...)

EDIT: is as Vragspark said, the accelerated regen can be seen with both, healing journey and blood ritual... so one more time, the passive tooltip is deceiving, I hope the case is not that it's bugged and it should'nt be doing that.

08/30/2012 10:13 AMPosted by superpescado
One thing I'd like to know is how to get a more precise damage metric. Is there a way to factor in the thorn damage into the equation?

If you are trying to get a flat number of DPS including thorn is a little too difficult, that depends on how many meelee attacks per second take each dog...

What I can tell you is that the thorn dmg is exactly what you see in "details", but you already knew that.
Edited by DaemonRah#1372 on 8/30/2012 3:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I've cleared Act 1 Inferno so far with this build. The only times that I died in Act 1 were with Arcane Jailers, that locked me in the path of one of the arcane gizmos. Having just started with Act 2, I think I might need to update some pieces of my equipment. Can anyone give me some pointers on what pieces I should look into updating first?

my profile:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/asidewalk-1531/hero/21230547

quick stats at a glance:
25k dps
30k health
720~750 on most resistances
13k thorn dmg
25 pickup radius
11k health globe
18k intel

My armor is only 3k though. I don't know /think that this will be enough to carry me through.

This is a lot of fun so far though. Far easier than running my other characters
Reply Quote

quick stats at a glance:
25k dps
30k health
720~750 on most resistances
13k thorn dmg
25 pickup radius
11k health globe
18k intel

Should be a walk in the park with these stats. I was able to finish act 2 with about:
12k dps
25k hp
500 ra
13k thorns

Only problem I had was on Belial. For him I had to switch out my thorns gear a bit and change my build to a more direct damage spec. With around 16k dps I was able to kill him.

Also I wanted to know how this build was standing up in Act 3. So far I've found it still more efficient to solo farm A1 with my wizard but the thorns build works much better for groups.
Reply Quote
Here's my build. http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/snurrfint-2384/hero/18865158

I swapped "Zombie Handler" (:O, you mad?) with "Pierce of Veil" to get an extra boost in dmg.
"Zombie handler" is good, but when you use the rune "Leeching beasts" you'll have an extra zombie dog to divide the hp you'll get back from thorns with. Plus, I find an extra 20% hp for pets is unnecessary (they take 24 hit before they die without it, and that's without life regen), and another zombie dog is less valuable than you should think. That passive is better suited for a sacrifice build if you ask me.

Anyway, here's how I think the thorns dmg return works.

I have 16k thorns. When an enemy hits my dogs they take around 11k dmg after armor reduction. This 11k dmg is devided by 2 (50%) to get 5.5k hp back from the attack. This 5.5k hp is then divided between you and your dogs, 5.5/4 = 1.3k with 3 dogs and 1.1k with 4.

I've calculated that my dog takes around 900 dmg/hit. So whenever they fight a melee pack of monsters they can't take dmg what so ever.

So the lesson is to get rid of the ranged monsters first.

My stats:

16.2k thorns
~730 all resist unbuffed (830 buffed)
4.1k armor
27k hp
20k dps unbuffed (29k buffed)

Gear costed me around 3M, so it's not expensive at all.

I think Soul Harvest is a must have for this build. With my current setup I get almost 10k more dps and around 100 all res from this buff alone. That's insane actually. If you use the rune that increase the duration to 1 minute you don't need to recast it so often and you can save your spirit walk for escape, which is nice.

This builds only weakness is the relatively low dmg output, but with 29k dps and practically no kiting what so ever the dmg output is more than enough I think. I like this build more and more.
Reply Quote
Check out my profile. I'm all thorny with low dps. If you play in groups, and your team mates have decent dps, you can support them really well. My dogs and garg tank anything and I do more dps being hit than hitting things.

850 res
4300 armor
28k hp
20.5k thorn

Out of all the WD builds I've tried - this one just kills it.
Edited by AelxProter#1725 on 8/31/2012 12:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Dude, you have 950 all res not 850. Isn't that overkill?

You can reduce that to 600 and your pets can still tank everything.

Nice thorns dmg though.
Reply Quote
A point for this build:

If a monster cleaves and hits all your pets, all of them will reflect thorns.

And Diablo cleaves.
Reply Quote
A point for this build:

And Diablo cleaves.

I always wondered if those spinning "mage something" guys in Act2 (often found in Oasis or VotA) would just insta-gib themselves if they hit thorned up pets. Would be hilarious to see.
Reply Quote
A point for this build:

And Diablo cleaves.

That's one reason I really like zombie handler. One more dog to take dmg, one more dog to deal thorns dmg with. Also I wanted to verify the leaching dogs thing. Does this only proc on the damage they do with their attacks? does it work for thorns? sacrifice?
Reply Quote
A point for this build:

And Diablo cleaves.

That's one reason I really like zombie handler. One more dog to take dmg, one more dog to deal thorns dmg with. Also I wanted to verify the leaching dogs thing. Does this only proc on the damage they do with their attacks? does it work for thorns? sacrifice?

Leeching + Thorns worked in 1.03 for sure. I personally haven't tried it in 1.04. The leeching does suffer from the 80% reduction in Inferno, though.
Reply Quote
I'm using a balance of dps/defense/thorns and I'm absolutely loving it. Keep this thread goin.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]