Diablo® III

1.0.4 Witch Doctor Thorn Builds

Successful Pet based Life regen/thorns tank build for inferno MP2 farming.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Metabolical-1139/hero/11560511

Working on polishing off the remaining MF gear as I gain paragon levels.

feedback welcome.
Reply Quote
Wow, I've never seen anyone using a Topaz in a weapon.
Reply Quote
Oh yeah, finally have my thorn witch doctor with good dmg and hp.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Invictus-6348/hero/30806328
Reply Quote
Congratz!
Reply Quote
Did anyone else see this question in the Q&A:

Why do we even have thorn damage and why is it not addressed in 1.0.7? Whenever I see Melee attackers take x damage on an item I crinch. It's the most useless stat EVER. Not even if a barb maxed out thorn damage on all slots and had the +50% thorn dmg passive would it be viable!?
Edited by OioxFûl#2919 on 30/01/2013 10:05 GMT

It made me "crinch" a little myself.
Edited by Kamasuture#1426 on 2/6/2013 12:19 AM PST
Reply Quote
Did anyone else see this question in the Q&A:

Why do we even have thorn damage and why is it not addressed in 1.0.7? Whenever I see Melee attackers take x damage on an item I crinch. It's the most useless stat EVER. Not even if a barb maxed out thorn damage on all slots and had the +50% thorn dmg passive would it be viable!?
Edited by OioxFûl#2919 on 30/01/2013 10:05 GMT

It made me "crinch" a little myself.

I also added a question asking what happened to the Thorn buff, not really expecting much from the Q&A at this point.

On a side note, the latest patch notes buffed the final topaz gem from 2200 thorn damage to 2500. Not sure why they bothered since no one will be using them... Maybe it's an indication that an actual fix is in the mix.
Reply Quote
@ Wachati

Yeah it makes me sad every time I see posts like that of people stating how useless a stat it is. It is fantastic and you can have balanced stats with thorns as a main focus despite what everyone seems to think!

I also noticed this change with the topaz and was hoping it is the start of something! We can only hope!
Reply Quote
My WD is the only toon I play that I like thorns on my gear.
Reply Quote
How does the thorns build work in PvP Rhest?
Reply Quote
@ JangBahadur

Ha! Barbs WW themselves to death on my thorns its rather comical. Monks take a beating as well. Its fun to stand back and watch the melees perish at their own hands!
Reply Quote
Oh nice! Man they should make thorns hit ranged as well. Simply "attackers take 1250 damage"

What's the highest mp level you can do?
Edited by JangBahadur#1968 on 2/9/2013 8:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
@ Kamasuture

That's some nice gear you've got there for a Fierce Loyalty build. Tell me, are you having as much trouble finding upgrades as I am? It's not that they're all too expensive, simply that some of them don't seem to exist.

I guess that's the problem when you're looking for 6 or 7 specific stats on an item.
Reply Quote
@ JangBahadur

lol I can do 5 really well, haven't tested out much higher tbh I mean really whats the point? Guaranteed Uber drops I guess but I really like the 50/50 chance. Seriously if it worked on all attackers...oh man. Just oh man. The sort of response to Wachatis Q&A post though has me very intrigued...

@ fDoug

Wow thank you for saying that! It has been a slow progress that is for sure! I have been lucky to have found myself or have had friends find a good chunk of my gears but yeah definitely difficult to find anything that would be better! If I make or find better gloves with higher stat rolls on them they wont roll stun for example or something will have good rolls but I would lose thorns or regen or I will actually find something on the ah that is perfect but well out of my price range lol...definitely a balancing act but I really really enjoy the challenge!
Reply Quote
I know this is a old thread, but the Dev Q&A hinted that they might make primary stat affect thorn damage...for a normal WD that's between a 2000-3000% increase.

Hang on to that gear guys, it might get REALLY viable in an upcoming patch :)
Reply Quote
Any updates to this build? How does it work with LOH? Why Leeching dogs specifically?
Reply Quote
I use leaching dogs because they survive the best. Thorns helps them survive the best with fierce loyalty. Any melee damage they take returns significant life, shared with you.

No updates because they didn't change Thorns damage like they said. It still won't last above a certain MP threshold.
Reply Quote
I know it sounds rediculous but i've been trying to craft thorn bracers... No luck so far have made about 30 of them.
Reply Quote
Ya I'm totaly trying for some better gloves/bracers/shoulders.

Pluse if I can ever a new weapon like the one I have pluse life steal and I think I can totaly roll all mp levels with my Thorns build.

My Thorns build for higher mp's http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#egYfUT!gcf!cZcccc
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]