Diablo® III

+x% Elemental Damage mechanic: blue clarify!

(Locked)

So it turns out that any item that says that it "adds +x% to elemental damage" actually works by multiplying your non-elemental ("black") weapon damage by 1.0X (so if you have +6% to poision, and you have a weapon with average 950 regular damage, you will get 106% times 950 = (950 regular + 57 poison) damage as your base weapon damage. Basically, if your weapon is all nonelemental damage, you will receive a +6% damage increase as poison damage.

MANY players are very curious as to whether this is how the modification is actuallly supposed to work. Because it is in fact, counter-intuitive for it to function in this way when its wording suggests that it should increase the amount of base poison damage by 6%, instead of adding a flat percent increase to your non-existant poison damage.

I want to know if this is going to be changed or if it is going to continue to function like this indefinitely, because if it is supposed to be this way, things like zunimassa's boots and triumvirate (otherwise mediocre items) are the absolute best-in-slot items for certain classes.

Blue please enlighten us!!
Also curious. Looking for some confirmation.
Most people, espeically wizards, are curious. Because the value of these items is based on the fact that they function in this counter-intuitive way, and we don't want to invest lots of effort into acquiring these items and have the mechanic "fixed" two weeks later and wipe out our investment. Really, it seems bizarre. But stranger things have happened.
I am curios as well.
Please post here if you want to know the answer to this! It seems like it is very difficult to get a blue to respond to a post. The only way is if hundreds of people persist in inquiring. This is a very big issue for a lot of players and it deserves an answer because of the strangeness of the situation.
You don't need an official response for this.

You need a piece of gear with +x% elemental damage and about five minutes of time.

Turn on damage numbers, use some skills with and without it, average the numbers, find a delta. If the delta roughly matches the %, the answer is yes. If it's statistically insignificant, the answer is no.

There are much, much more important things they should be addressing, like:
(still) lame items
poor itemization/stats/affix priority
abysmal drop rates
pvp
proc coefficients
un-randomized areas
end game solutions
bots
hacks
scams
hyperinflation
massively dwindling player numbers
etc, etc, etc.

Don't detract from real issues to get an answer to something you or someone else can easily find out.

You need a piece of gear with +x% elemental damage and about five minutes of time.

Turn on damage numbers, use some skills with and without it, average the numbers, find a delta. If the delta roughly matches the %, the answer is yes. If it's statistically insignificant, the answer is no.

(still) lame items
abysmal drop rates
pvp
proc coefficients
un-randomized areas
end game solutions
bots
hacks
scams
hyperinflation
etc, etc, etc.

Don't detract from real issues to get an answer to something you or someone else can easily find out.

Did you read his post at all?
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Just thought I would throw this out there as I ran quite a few hours of testing last night for a Monk-forum discussion about our legendary fist wep Won Khim Lau:

I spent all last night doing math because ... NERD!

As it turns out, there are about 10000000 bugs associated with this silly stat and they make good calculations much harder to come by until you figure out how to "fix" the bugs.

Conclusions of several hours of testing the stat "Adds x% to <elemental> damage"
Note: All tests done with my Legacy Zunimassa's Boots (+5% to poison damage).

1. +x% <elemental> damage DIRECTLY increases the damage of your weapons.
Note: This essentially functions just like the +xx% damage stat found on many weapons.

2. It will increase the DPS of your weapon by 2x weapon MIN damage * weapon attack speed.

3. It will NOT count ANY +elemental damage when finding the min damage of your weapon.
Note: despite previous misleading information, it will NOT count elemental damage of the same element as the stat.

4. It WILL count the +min damage and +xx% damage stats when finding the min damage of your weapon.

5. It will add <element> to your attack damage type. However, your attack will always SHOW the effect of whatever your highest elemental damage is. Due to the low amount of elemental damage this stat provides, if your wep has an elemental damage type on it already, that will almost always be the element that is used when determining the graphic of how mobs die.

Due to the number of bugs I encountered while testing this stat, I am inclined to say that it is NOT working as intended. However, I would also really appreciate a blue response on the matter.

I am more than happy to answer any/all questions regarding my testing if anyone has them!

-Druin, the happy monk
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile

(still) lame items
abysmal drop rates
pvp
proc coefficients
un-randomized areas
end game solutions
bots
hacks
scams
hyperinflation
etc, etc, etc.

This would be an absolutely horrible way to determine any information regarding this stat as you would have to run thousands of hours of tests to get specific numbers and even then you would never know if your findings were "true" or just a very unique string of statistical chance.

Furthermore, the official response requested has nothing to do with HOW it works but instead regarding whether or not the way it currently works is INTENDED.
I had always assumed an item that says "Adds 8% to Poison Damage"

Would simply add 8% damage to any spell that did poison damage.

Not that it would add 8% poison damage to my base weapon damage, which essentially adds that 8% to ALL abilities.
@Oceanchief

I guess I misread it. Didn't realize he was asking whether or not that was intentional. I would assume play it safe and save your money, because the game is definitely going to change when 1.1 launches. Whether or not this will change as well is a good question, sorry for discounting it.

Although, by the wording of the affix, it sounds like it's supposed to function that way. Otherwise I would think it would read: +% TO elemental dmg. Which I think exists as well as, but independently from, +x% elemental damage (could be wrong, I don't really play anymore)?

@Druin

No, it wouldn't. It's not dealing with variable data or unknowns or anything else that has to be tested and re-tested. It's a very simple check to see if the average is affected. It can be reasonably determined with a very small sample size. As the sample size increases, you would converge on the percentage. It's a limit function. Really not hard.
Edited by Mayde#1748 on 8/30/2012 1:45 PM PDT
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile

@Druin

No, it wouldn't. It's not dealing with variable data or unknowns or anything else that has to be tested and re-tested. It's a very simple check to see if the average is affected. It can be reasonably determined with a very small sample size. As the sample size increases, you would converge on the percentage. It's a limit function. Really not hard.

If you perform this test with a wep that has ~200-600 damage and you think you will somehow notice a 5% change over a small sample size you are insane.
Community Manager
The "+x% Elemental Damage" affix works by adding "x%" of your physical damage to your attack, in the form of the damage type listed.

So, really basic example:
  • Your physical damage is 100, and the item adds +3% Fire damage.
  • You gain 3 extra damage to your attacks as Fire damage.

Things this takes into account:
  • Rings, mojos, orbs (etc) that have an "X-Y" damage affix (e.g. "1-2 Damage")
  • The base damage range of your weapon, before any elemental damage is added from the affix
  • +Min or +Max affixes on weapons

(Note: It doesn't benefit from "+X-Y Elemental Damage" affixes on weapons.)

We realize the current wording for this affix can be confusing, and it's something we'd like to make more clear in the future. If you have any suggestions for how this affix could be better worded, we're definitely interested in your suggestions. Just keep in mind that space is limited in item tooltips, and that whatever we use would need to be translated into all of our supported languages.
But does it actually work? I spent 5 hours over the last two days doing methodical tests. I even posted in the bug report forum.

I see how it's supposed to work. But does it actually work that way?
Wording should be "Adds X% damage AS [elemental type]"
The "+x% Elemental Damage" affix works by adding "x%" of your physical damage to your attack, in the form of the damage type listed.

• The base damage range of your weapon, before any elemental damage is added from the affix

We realize the current wording for this affix can be confusing, and it's something we'd like to make more clear in the future. If you have any suggestions for how this affix could be better worded, we're definitely interested in your suggestions. Just keep in mind that space is limited in item tooltips, and that whatever we use would need to be translated into all of our supported languages.

Does that mean when you got full tal rasha's set bonus, you do 9% additonal damage regardless of what type of skill you use?
+x% Damage as Fire

Rings, mojos, orbs (etc) that have an "X-Y" damage affix (e.g. "1-2 Damage")
The base damage range of your weapon, before any elemental damage is added from the affix
+Min or +Max affixes on weapons

So if your character sheet shows you doing 10,000 dps and your weapon damage is 1000-1000 with 1.0 weapon speed to make it easy and so as avg makes it 1000dps and if you upgrade one of your items which happened to have exact same affixes but one extra which was +10% cold damage

Will your dps in character sheet show 11,000dps or will it be 10,100 ?
Edited by Grimraven#1853 on 8/31/2012 11:56 AM PDT
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile

Can you please explain why it is coded to add 2 * (x%) min damage instead of x% min + x% max?

Note: I have personally done the math and I can tell you, without doubt, that it currently adds 2 * (x%) min and ignores the max damage on your wep.
I still have a question.

If I have a 900 dps weapon with no elemental dmg, will it receive better boost than one with 900 dps arcane dmg?
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]