Diablo® III

+x% Elemental Damage mechanic: blue clarify!

(Locked)

So, in other words, physical damage type weapons are actually the best ones because the extra elemental damage does not get buffed from "Add X% to [Element]" affixes? This is totally opposite of the misconception that you should use a poison type weapon for "Add X% to Poison" affix to work.
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
08/31/2012 03:00 PMPosted by Grimraven
The question remains - will that %x damage be directly multiplied to your total current dps that shows on your character's sheet or not?

If your weapon has the same MIN and MAX damage, and it has ZERO elemental damage on it, then yes, the affix will increase your paperdoll DPS by +x%.

If your wep has a lower MIN than MAX (it does) and / or it has +elemental damage on it, the affix will increase your paperdoll DPS by LESS than +x% (usually something like 50%).

08/31/2012 03:00 PMPosted by Raiden
So, in other words, physical damage type weapons are actually the best ones because the extra elemental damage does not get buffed from "Add X% to [Element]" affixes? This is totally opposite of the misconception that you should use a poison type weapon for "Add X% to Poison" affix to work.

Yup.
85 Tauren Druid
The "+x% Elemental Damage" affix works by adding "x%" of your physical damage to your attack, in the form of the damage type listed.

So, really basic example:
  • Your physical damage is 100, and the item adds +3% Fire damage.
  • You gain 3 extra damage to your attacks as Fire damage.

Things this takes into account:
  • Rings, mojos, orbs (etc) that have an "X-Y" damage affix (e.g. "1-2 Damage")
  • The base damage range of your weapon, before any elemental damage is added from the affix
  • +Min or +Max affixes on weapons

(Note: It doesn't benefit from "+X-Y Elemental Damage" affixes on weapons.)

We realize the current wording for this affix can be confusing, and it's something we'd like to make more clear in the future. If you have any suggestions for how this affix could be better worded, we're definitely interested in your suggestions. Just keep in mind that space is limited in item tooltips, and that whatever we use would need to be translated into all of our supported languages.

omg thank you, please fwd this to the websites front-end so it can be added,

as a supplement to the game you should really just link to the websites "FAQ" as a more robust area for further knowledge on affixes etc, there is just no way to have it all in game ? (unless some type of 'dungeon journal' is added to d3)
so this is why my effective damage improved when i switched my offhand to The Butcher's Sickle compared to the usual rare weapon with +elemental damage (since TBS has no elemental damage but adds a lot to your weaps min/max physical damage). Good combination for my Won Khim Lau fist then. And all this time i was only searching for weapons with lightning damage. Lucky for me then.
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
08/31/2012 03:13 PMPosted by Kythe
so this is why my effective damage improved when i switched my offhand to The Butcher's Sickle compared to the usual rare weapon with +elemental damage (since TBS has no elemental damage but adds a lot to your weaps min/max physical damage). Good combination for my Won Khim Lau fist then. And all this time i was only searching for weapons with lightning damage. Lucky for me then.

Yup.
Edited by Druin#1518 on 8/31/2012 3:19 PM PDT
If your weapon has the same MIN and MAX damage, and it has ZERO elemental damage on it, then yes, the affix will increase your paperdoll DPS by +x%.

If your wep has a lower MIN than MAX (it does) and / or it has +elemental damage on it, the affix will increase your paperdoll DPS by LESS than +x% (usually something like 50%).

thanks, this really clarifies how good this affix really is.
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile

thanks, this really clarifies how good this affix really is.

Your welcome :D

Just glad this is getting some attention!
No reason to go all fire skills or all poison skills,, got it...

Epic fail in terms of customization to your character...

At least i learned this before i grabbed some +fire items for my fireball build with my WD.
I kinda wish that they would have stuck to the model that elemental damage has negative status effects. Like fire burning or reducing healing, poison applying a dot, or frost/ice slowing enemy movement/atk speed, but they didn't.

Either way, this clarification is really quite nice, because it gives us more dps to play with that we didn't think of before. Thanks Blizz! :)
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
No reason to go all fire skills or all poison skills,, got it...

Epic fail in terms of customization to your character...

At least i learned this before i grabbed some +fire items for my fireball build with my WD.

Can still get Maximus + Magefist for uber fire build!!!!
I didn't read all the way through it, but I'm gonna say this now... This is why we needed an offline mode. So that people could more easily take the game, and rip the coding to shreds, to figure out how it works.

I got to the D2 scene way late, so when I was learning about the game, I refused to go on trolly forums, I instead just got hero editor, and started messing with stats (By recommendation of a friend) and that's how I learned what did what in D2, even though it was very clear in D2.

Hopefully I'm not crowing what someone else said. I'm taking the tl:dr to half of this threat.
Wow, this thread (mostly reading what Druin posted) was really helpful.

TLDR: physical damage on weapon is best, elemental dmg is quasi handicap. pure physical damange weapon wins or is always at least equal to comparable physical + elemental dmg weapon.

did i get it right?
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Wow, this thread (mostly reading what Druin posted) was really helpful.

TLDR: physical damage on weapon is best, elemental dmg is quasi handicap. pure physical damange weapon wins or is always at least equal to comparable physical + elemental dmg weapon.

did i get it right?

#winning
+x% of physical as Element
89 Troll Hunter
i see they're getting smart and starting to copy path of exile.
The "+x% Elemental Damage" affix works by adding "x%" of your physical damage to your attack, in the form of the damage type listed.

So, really basic example:
  • Your physical damage is 100, and the item adds +3% Fire damage.
  • You gain 3 extra damage to your attacks as Fire damage.

Things this takes into account:
  • Rings, mojos, orbs (etc) that have an "X-Y" damage affix (e.g. "1-2 Damage")
  • The base damage range of your weapon, before any elemental damage is added from the affix
  • +Min or +Max affixes on weapons

(Note: It doesn't benefit from "+X-Y Elemental Damage" affixes on weapons.)

We realize the current wording for this affix can be confusing, and it's something we'd like to make more clear in the future. If you have any suggestions for how this affix could be better worded, we're definitely interested in your suggestions. Just keep in mind that space is limited in item tooltips, and that whatever we use would need to be translated into all of our supported languages.

Can you please explain why it is coded to add 2 * (x%) min damage instead of x% min + x% max?

Note: I have personally done the math and I can tell you, without doubt, that it currently adds 2 * (x%) min and ignores the max damage on your wep.

I noticed this a while ago that it adds the same amount that got added to you min dmg to your max dmg as well. I think it's just one of the random elements which got screwed up (like min-max dmg socket through ametysts or the +physical dmg part in combination with %ed on wpns which results in 15-40% higher dps than it should!).
Could you also clarify how to add in the damage added by legendaries such as these?
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/won-khim-lau

I can't figure out how to add the "Lightning skills do X% more damage" to my DPS.
Could you also clarify how to add in the damage added by legendaries such as these?
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/won-khim-lau

I can't figure out how to add the "Lightning skills do X% more damage" to my DPS.

I also want to know this.
08/31/2012 11:43 AMPosted by Lylirra

I suggest do this like on screenshot:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/191/propositioni.jpg/
Edited by Pan#2116 on 8/31/2012 4:49 PM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]