Diablo® III

HAunt vs spirt barrage vs locust swarm?

ok which of these three has the best dmg potential with a 2 hand set up
Reply Quote
Locust swarm by far and away. I have tested all three including the supposedly OP manitou.

Haunt only hits 1 target, then if that target dies, moves to a new one. 1 target at a time is ok for bosses but not for much else.

Manitou vs locust swarm is the one I am trying to clear up around the forums - 2 fire and forget spells, which one is better? Neither are affected by ias so obviously 2 handed weapon will get the most bang-for-buck.

Manitou spirit barrage does 1667% weapon damage over 20 seconds, flinging blobs at individual targets. So it does roughly 83% weapon damage per second for 20 seconds - to all the monsters collectively. This is important. 83% damage per second, all monsters collectively.

Locust swarm searing locusts does 468% weapon damage over 8 seconds, spreading to every single target on the screen. Roughly 58% weapon damage per second, to every monster individually.

so you get 83% damage per second total, or you get 58% damage per second multiplied by the number of monsters. If there are 2 monsters on the screen, locust swarm will do more damage, plus you can recast it effectively after 8 seconds whereas manitou you can only recast effectively after 20 seconds.

Locust swarm is way way better than manitou, in any scenario. Both are fire and forget but the damage will ramp up on locust swarm much quicker and affect way more enemies.

Here is an example build; very efficient a3 farming machine. With updated post-patch gear (more than just the weapon i mean), I think I will be able to run this build faster than a barb through a3. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Skylark-6766/hero/22227193

Also note - locust swarm makes the 2 hand 5-6 lifesteal very very effective, even with the 80% decreased effectiveness in inferno. Because it doesn't proc LoH very often, but it affects all enemies on screen, the lifesteal very quickly stacks up.
Edited by Skylark#6766 on 8/25/2012 12:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
How about manitou -and- locust swarm?
Reply Quote
Hey, in case youre going Locust Swarm, i have an excellent Helm for sale:

453 Armor, i63 Archon Helm
+161 INT
+6% Crit (Max)
+10% Locust Swarm Damage
Open Socket

Online now, pm me
Reply Quote
how does locust swarm play with LoH?
Reply Quote
Locust swarm by far and away. I have tested all three including the supposedly OP manitou.

Haunt only hits 1 target, then if that target dies, moves to a new one. 1 target at a time is ok for bosses but not for much else.

Manitou vs locust swarm is the one I am trying to clear up around the forums - 2 fire and forget spells, which one is better? Neither are affected by ias so obviously 2 handed weapon will get the most bang-for-buck.

Manitou spirit barrage does 1667% weapon damage over 20 seconds, flinging blobs at individual targets. So it does roughly 83% weapon damage per second for 20 seconds - to all the monsters collectively. This is important. 83% damage per second, all monsters collectively.

Locust swarm searing locusts does 468% weapon damage over 8 seconds, spreading to every single target on the screen. Roughly 58% weapon damage per second, to every monster individually.

so you get 83% damage per second total, or you get 58% damage per second multiplied by the number of monsters. If there are 2 monsters on the screen, locust swarm will do more damage, plus you can recast it effectively after 8 seconds whereas manitou you can only recast effectively after 20 seconds.

Locust swarm is way way better than manitou, in any scenario. Both are fire and forget but the damage will ramp up on locust swarm much quicker and affect way more enemies.

Here is an example build; very efficient a3 farming machine. With updated post-patch gear (more than just the weapon i mean), I think I will be able to run this build faster than a barb through a3. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Skylark-6766/hero/22227193

Also note - locust swarm makes the 2 hand 5-6 lifesteal very very effective, even with the 80% decreased effectiveness in inferno. Because it doesn't proc LoH very often, but it affects all enemies on screen, the lifesteal very quickly stacks up.

How about acid rain dealing 115% + 150% over 3 seconds to every enemy in 24 yards. It's 265/3=88.3 DPS to every enemy in 24 yards. According to this calculations its much better than locust swarm
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
There's that, but you have to take into account that acid rain targets a specific "area" so if the mobs move out of it, it does no extra damage to them. Locusts dots the enemy specifically and sticks with them when they move. Acid rain is fun though for quick bursts of aoe damage though.

...huh, I still have my old WoW avatar...
Edited by SEN#1900 on 8/25/2012 3:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
see the whole reason i asked was i have 1 open spot in my build currently im using is this
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#TZRhbY!cUT!ZZacZY and from what i found is that locust seems to do more dmg.
Reply Quote
Upon reading this thread, it made me wonder how powerful is Locust Swarm. So what I did, I substituted LS with Searing Locusts rune my SB+Manitou and find it more damaging to mobs only. But when it comes to one on one like an elite leader or Act/Mini bosses, Manitou still is the best option.

Not to mention, Manitou is more mana-friendly for my build since I'm not utilizing any mana-regen equips nor VQ/Spiritual Attunement passives.
Reply Quote
I said that manitou is better 1v1 but how often is that? Also, locust swarm doesn't have to be cast as frequently as acid cloud so while it does less damage, you can cast it once then use your low mana spam attack of choice. Check out my build. No mana regen, never go OOM.
Reply Quote
I tried to use LS as a secondary skill, but I am having troubles to cast it quickly (I have to get very close to the mob, which is usually faster than me)

I am using Manitou in my build as an extra-dmg (fire and forget) and I like it

My base DPS is 55k and everything literally melts before I even throw a jar of spiders in act 1. For act 2 I have to throw a couple of jars ;). Yesterday I got my personal best at the jar of souls with 134 deaths

Main skill: leaping spiders
Secondary: GotD death is life
Extra-dmg fire and forget skills: Humongoid and Manitou
Nuke: fetish army (for elites)
Defensive: spirit walk healing journey

Passives:
PotV - no comments
Gruesome feast that goes very well with GotD death is life
and spirit vessel that saves my *** when I nuke a reflector elite pack :)
Reply Quote
The cast distance can be a problem - I spirit walk in, soul harvest then pump one locust swarm. Does the job. Also, locust swarm cases through Waller affix walls which is handy.
Reply Quote
you'll likely want spirit walk or horrify or some other utility ability at some point, so whatever you pick, have fun with it while you can.
Reply Quote
Locust Swarm is awesome and still underrated I feel. The damage is obviously really nice with Searing rune, but the 'mechanic' is what makes it underrated. Cast it on one mob, and it spreads to the *entire pack* and does damage over time. Traditionally, most AoE are tied to a specific cast location, and most DoT (that "stick to the mob") are single target.

That said, I use Locust and Manitou (Manitou replaced Haunt for me), but Locust is the one you would have to pry from my cold, dead hands.
Edited by BigRed#1100 on 8/25/2012 8:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Agreed. I tried switching it out after the patch but its just so damn effective, especially with the new awesome 2 handers.

For the guy above asking about loh, locust swarm only procs loh when it jumps to a new target, so get a 2 hander with high life steal and crit damage, and stack crit chance on your other gear for best results. I guarantee you won't be disappointed. It's pretty versatile too; you can use anything around it and just have it as an added group damage bonus. Definitely my favourite wd skill.
Reply Quote
Guys, i would like to ask, thsese skills like Locus swarp or Acid Rain, from the tooltip they gain dmg from weapon dmg, but it is bad to use 1h +mojo ??? Is it big dmg increase from 2H ? how does it work ?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
locast does amazing damage in the act3 since there are so many "swarm" packs so one cast will generally spread to 80% of the packs snaking through doors or even on a semi spread out pack, which is probably one of the highest efficiency spells in the game in such a scenario

its only weakness is its very short cast range.
Reply Quote
08/25/2012 09:28 AMPosted by tomino
Guys, i would like to ask, thsese skills like Locus swarp or Acid Rain, from the tooltip they gain dmg from weapon dmg, but it is bad to use 1h +mojo ??? Is it big dmg increase from 2H ? how does it work ?

I had a good ukapian serpent (8.5 crit chance, 90 int, extra damage to elites) and a 1 hander with 970 dps and 70ish crit damage. I went to a 2 hander with 970 dps (higher base damage tho), 200 base crit damage with an 80% crit socket jewel, and my damage just from the extra crit damage, even taking away the mojo, was 20k.

That is a buttload of dps. Also, consider attack speed doesn't factor into locust swarm, the damage added to locust swarm went up by a lot. and the weapon only cost me 5 mil (considerably less than the 1 hander).

Use a 2 hander, unless you want a shield or the pickup radius from thing of the deep imo. Regardless of skill choice. Crit damage > every other damage modifier.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]