Diablo® III

2h Cleave/Rend build is AMAZING + FUN

- Diablo III
View profile
I spent this weekend farming act 3 inferno all the way up to paragon level 18 using a couple different builds. I started off trying a build using a Bash/Seismic Slam(Rumble rune) build and even though it produced some huge crits I found the animation a little too slow for my liking, usually putting me in danger every time I used it. I had even bought my Skorn with +7% chance to Seismic Slam since I heard so much praise for this build. Oh well the weapon is still amazing in itself and have no regrets getting it.

After a couple runs trying different runes I decided to check out a Cleave/Rend build similar to what I used while leveling to 60 to begin with. The results were amazing. Cleave was dishing out huge damage to anything in front of me usually critting for 300k-400k a swing while Rend paired with the Blood Lust rune was keeping me topped off but also providing almost too good to be true damage. Whenever I ran into a pack of elites I'd pop Wrath(Insanity) throw up a Rend and Cleave down the entire group in about 5-10 seconds. I could literally stand in a desecration, plague puddle, and fire chain at the same time and stay topped due to the amount of damage I was putting out. Even on bosses where I was only using Cleave on a single target they would melt.

I couldn't even tell you how many act 3 runs I did over the weekend with this build but all I know is I won't be switching out Cleave or Rend for quite some time (maybe play around with a couple different cleave runes). I was lucky enough to find a Windforce, 2x lvl 59 legendary weapons, a really nice pair of Depth Diggers, and found my pretty amazing rare gloves/chest.

If anyone is looking to switch from a WW build to something different I highly recommend giving it a try.
Reply Quote
This is heartening to hear. I've been having fun with Bash/HotA with my sword and board Barb, but I've been wanting to do 2h for a while now. I will definitely be giving this a look.

Thanks!
Reply Quote
You play similar to me, but with much better gear, so I struggle in Act 3 for now. Though I use Earthquake instead of Battle Rage. EQ and WotB simply melt elite packs.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III
View profile
I was a sword/board barb since release only switching to a dps build a day after patch 1.0.4. Needless to say i'll never be going back. Handed my Helm of Command, Stormshield, loh weapon, and resist gear to another barb struggling in Act 2 and won't be looking back.

Just realised I had been using the Relentless passive, not sure if I'll swap it out or not for Ruthless next time I play for the extra crit/crit damage. I was happy with how much damage I was putting out already so maybe not.
Edited by Monstrous#1404 on 8/27/2012 8:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Ruthless will have a nice impact to your damage. Unless you spend quite a bit of time <20% life (sounds like you don't with Rend keeping you healthy), I would make the switch.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III
View profile
08/27/2012 08:05 AMPosted by Drayven
You play similar to me, but with much better gear, so I struggle in Act 3 for now. Though I use Earthquake instead of Battle Rage. EQ and WotB simply melt elite packs.

Nice yeah we do have a very similar build. Have you tried using Ignore Pain with Ignorance Is Bliss? It works really well for me to get my life back up to full or when I'm face tanking elite groups.
Reply Quote
Proud user of a 2H Rend/Bash build, just cleared Act 4 Inferno with the build and equips in my profile: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Shidoshi-1966/hero/10199876

Bash-Punish really increases your damage output, it's also a faster Fury generator than Cleave. I don't need the AoE of Cleave since Rend just kills everything anyway.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III
View profile
Oh and I forgot to mention, if you don't already have one get a life steal belt. It was huge for keeping me topped off as well. I'm saving up for an IK belt with 3% life steal and the +14% cleave damage, can't wait.
Reply Quote
08/27/2012 08:12 AMPosted by Monstrous

Nice yeah we do have a very similar build. Have you tried using Ignore Pain with Ignorance Is Bliss? It works really well for me to get my life back up to full or when I'm face tanking elite groups.

I was using that and Revenge (Provocation) prior to the Rend buff. Rend is working well enough for me that I use the extra reflect damage rune instead of Ignorance is Bliss.

It's working well enough that, even with my crappy gear, I can solo Belial. I just don't have myself geared up enough to handle Act 3 without getting my butt handed to me by trash mobs yet. I'll get there eventually. If I stop buying gear for my brother to help him get to lvl 60, and the same for my DH and Wizard, I might be able to save up some gold to get an upgrade on the AH. Problem is, at this point in my life, I don't have nearly as much free time to game as I used to, so it's a slow process.
Reply Quote
08/27/2012 08:18 AMPosted by Monstrous
Oh and I forgot to mention, if you don't already have one get a life steal belt. It was huge for keeping me topped off as well. I'm saving up for an IK belt with 3% life steal and the +14% cleave damage, can't wait.

Yeah, I have a belt with +5% life steal, but I swapped it out for the one I have on now, just to play around with the bonus to Cleave and the added AR.
Reply Quote
I run a slightly different build.

I sprint in with run like the wind letting the winds generate my fury while doing dmg, Rend for healing so i can stay in battle and cleave away or continue making tornados.
Reply Quote
I run a very similar build and have been destroying Act III since 1.04 landed. I've always been a 2H barb and before 1.04 I couldn't sustain myself but with the buffs to rend and cleave this build is very Act III doable. I like leap more than ignore pain for the escape, and I use revenge for the additional heal since I dont have any more life steal.
Reply Quote
I agree with the OP, been using this build since 1.04, I run with a conviction mantra monk. Rend can top 3mil total damage if it run 5 sec.

I would suggest using leap for mobility and some fury generation to kick start wotb+rend in an elite pack.
Edited by Fabuloso#1997 on 8/27/2012 8:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Revenge is kind of a big deal with my build (still leveling, though). I'm guessing Blood Lust kind of fills the niche of Revenge, with Ignorance is Bliss as a back-up. Also, I've seen a lot of barbs passing up WotB since 1.0.4; how often do you feel you need it? I'm thinking Leap would be a could skill to throw in to have a good distance closer/escape. Something like this:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#acXRki!ZYV!bZaacb

Added Bash//Punish since I thought a single-target primary would better complement Rend. Still kind of a noob as a barb, though. Thoughts?
Reply Quote
just finish farming act3 up to azma using 2h cleave+rend elites die in seconds.
Reply Quote
I have had a very similar experience. Before 1.04, I was using Cleave/Revenge, and having trouble getting through any part of Act 3. With the Cleave/Rend build, and, in my opinion, gear that is mediocre at best (though my weapon is 1300/100% Crit/200 Str), I rolled through Inferno. I have beaten every boss except Diablo, and easily farm either Act 3 or 4.

The only real drawback is that, as a Dota player, I still animation cancel, and this causes me to miss my Rends, since they need a moment to cast animate. Other than that, I can Rend and kite to recover hp, and with IP/WOTB up, I can use Rend plus Cleave to clean out just about any elite (except maybe a Corrupted Angel; those things suck).
Reply Quote
We use the exact same build other than I use bash instead of cleave. I haven't used cleave since the new patch came out so maybe Ill give it a try again. That said I agree this is the best build I have tried, rend is just absolutely nuts with its combination of huge DPS and huge healing. There isn't a pack in the game that lasts more than a few seconds when I pop WOTB + rend and bash a few times.
Reply Quote
I tried this build on my barbarian but unfortunately, I ended up dying more and it was kinda difficult for me to kill elites. Is it because my DPS is too low?

Also, I'm starting to dislike the rend animation cancellation. I always thought that it was instant.... :( I guess I'm sticking with the SS/Revenge build first.
Reply Quote
Nice build Monstrous. I just tried it out but with ruthless and marauder's rage instead of into the fray on battle rage. I now kill elite packs most of the time without even using wrath of the berzerker. I had tried out a bash, seismic slam build but I didn't like it at all. Yours is much better for my play style.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]