Diablo® III

2h Cleave/Rend build is AMAZING + FUN

Been running a similar build since 1.04, the damage on cleave/broad sweep is just awesome, not to mention that loh procs on every mob hit each swing,

And Rend is just OP, its practically better than revenge, no cd, more damage and better healing.

Tried bash, but its just too slow.

I tried broad sweep, and while it certainly hits harder, I like exploding them with rupture. I find it hit some of the mobs out of the range of cleave and generally explodificates things more efficiently.

I also removed revenge from my build, but I do miss one aspect of it. Revenge is instant and Rend has a fairly long animation. I find, due to that animation, that Rend is a bit unreliable at times with interrupts from mobs.
Edited by BadPathing#1360 on 8/27/2012 2:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
08/27/2012 01:31 PMPosted by Monstrous
I am detecting sarcasm.

lol you guessed it. Very nice gear sir.

Thx. Rings and Ammy need work, everything else is just marginal upgrade (with the exception of maybe a ridiculous Skorn).
Reply Quote
I don't see this as being a good build, all you are saying is that if you have high damage and lifeleech, you win...
Reply Quote
08/27/2012 02:10 PMPosted by UndeadFred
I don't see this as being a good build, all you are saying is that if you have high damage and lifeleech, you win...

Good is relative. To me, a build that gives me that visceral feeling of stuffing monster faces into their respective behinds, with mobility and finally a degree of ease, is fun.

So yeah, with good gear and LL, a lot of builds will work. What is wrong with stating that?

Rend got a huge buff and is a large contributor to the success of builds like this. This was not the case before. Nothing wrong with someone posting about how something works now, that did not before, and is having fun.

The forums need more of this to heal the wounds.
Reply Quote
I'm using a similar build with great success (former double tornado here).
Cleave with fury rune. Much faster fury generator than bash imo because of ability to hit multiple enemies at once.
Rend with increased radius rune. (Increases range by a lot, don't need blood lust rune)
Hammer of the ancients (for massive damage against elites, crit over 800k without using wotb)
Battle rage with marauders rage
War cry (duh)
Wotb with insanity. This slot is not set in stone for me but the damage is impressive. Since I switched to passive life steal skill I didn't need to use ignore pain.

My biggest challenge was staying alive because our attacks are so slow. So I upped my AR and switched to passive life steal skill instead of ruthless. The damage decrease is relatively minor but my survivability shot through the roof. Not saying I don't die but I fare much better now. If I had life steal skorn I could probably go back to ruthless. No big deal
Reply Quote
It works pretty well, I did a run with it although I didn't change any gear and just used my WW gear/duel wield. Maybe using 2hand+more damage items in LoH slots gives it a run for the money vs. WW, but using my build+WW is still faster.
Reply Quote
Cleave with fury rune. Much faster fury generator than bash imo because of ability to hit multiple enemies at once.
Rend with increased radius rune. (Increases range by a lot, don't need blood lust rune)
Hammer of the ancients (for massive damage against elites, crit over 800k without using wotb)
War cry (duh)
Wotb with insanity. This slot is not set in stone for me but the damage is impressive. Since I switched to passive life steal skill I didn't need to use ignore pain.

My biggest challenge was staying alive because our attacks are so slow. So I upped my AR and switched to passive life steal skill instead of ruthless. The damage decrease is relatively minor but my survivability shot through the roof. Not saying I don't die but I fare much better now. If I had life steal skorn I could probably go back to ruthless. No big deal

I find the healing from rend keeps me alive quite a bit..more than my life steel is able to support. Until that changes, I will have to keep blood lust I think.
Reply Quote
I tried this build, but i keep dying, all im missing is the life leach belt. Is it really that big of a difference?
Reply Quote
08/27/2012 03:15 PMPosted by Luis
I tried this build, but i keep dying, all im missing is the life leach belt. Is it really that big of a difference?

I think the key thing to know is that with my Skorn, my build works pretty well since a single Seismic Slam 1-shots, or at least brings to 90%, most mobs when it crits; and it crits a lot with 45% crit chance (or so, forget exact).

So, I kill a lot of stuff before it even gets to hit me. If it gets close, they get rend and they melt. If things get really messy, pop zerker and everything and its children's children die horrible deaths.
Reply Quote

...everything and its children's children die horrible deaths.

That is why I like this. SMASH FACE more than a few different ways. And I too am a fan of having SSlam as an option to throw in wherever.
Reply Quote
Can you guys post your stats and attack sequence for this build? I can roll thru act 1 and 2 just fine with my Frenzy/revenge build, but have alot of trouble in act 3 so I would want to give this a try. With my build, I can pretty much take out most monsters by Leaping in, Frenzy up my
Maniac rune which adds another 5k dmg while constantly spamming Revenge at all times to regain health and land big crits, then hit Ignore pain if my health starts to drop, leap out to dodge or kite etc. If Im fighting elites I hit Wotb as well. It works great in act 1 and 2 but cant seem to get that far in act 3 solo this way. So if you could tell me how you are using these skills
Reply Quote
War cry (duh)

I find the healing from rend keeps me alive quite a bit..more than my life steel is able to support. Until that changes, I will have to keep blood lust I think.

Yea, rend is how I get a lot of my healing as well with the radius rune. I can hit more enemies and with my 3% ls belt and 3% passive it seems to do the trick for me.
I don't know if the bleeding ticks heal me (passive says Gain 3% of all damage done as life) but I seem to get more health this way then with the bloodlust rune.

Either way, it's been fun to experiment and a nice change from ww'ing everywhere.

Exiter:
83k dps unbuffed (around 115k with Battle Rage and over 250k with WoTB =D), 660 AR unbuffed, 6.4k Armor unbuffed with 37k life.

I'll start by using cleave to get some fury then use rend. If there are elites I will get max fury, pop a rend then spam Hammer til I'm out of fury then cleave again etc. Also have to keep Battle Rage going and pop WoTB if elite is annoying. Something like that. Just have enough fury to use rend and/or Hammer.
This is in a full party btw. White enemies usually die after 1 rend and 1 cleave when going solo. With dps this high most builds will probably work =p.
Edited by PettyCash#1345 on 8/27/2012 10:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
So I've been a full-tank barb since release. Walking around with 900 AR unbuffed and 1500 LoH with 40% block rate means that I pretty much never die but with only 8k DPS...they don't die either (but I always play in group).

With the new legendaries, my group's been collecting random things that seem fun. MAXIMUS SO FUN. I learned that if I tweeked my gear a bit, it could kill much faster. Then I saw this post, I bought a Skorn...

TOO MUCH FUN. It's like I'm playing nightmare again!

I'm just wondering why no one uses Ground Stomp? I mean, I've been using it since my tank days but it works so well with rend. I feel that it has more farming efficiency than any other skill.
Reply Quote
So thanks to everyone! Last night I went home and bought a 1300 DPS 2H weapon with 200 STR and 290 VIT (2-3 Million? prices are soooo cheap now)

Then, because of the +290 VIT, I upgraded my gloves on the cheap to add crit chance, removing AR and VIT thus saving gold.

DPS jumps from 42k to 51k

Then... I played... holy momma it took maybe 2 or 3 deaths before the process hit me. and when it hit me... It hit them. 150k-200k crits and when you Berserk I see 400k and an occassional 500k crit.

I may just drop my magic find set. Things die so quick I often don't have time to swap. In fact, you sometimes don't notice 'elites' (can they even be called that anymore?) Near the end of the run I died unexpectedly and was like 'What happened'? When I got back I realized I was fighting 2 packs of elites at once, and they were both nearly dead. Hadn't even noticed

This is amazing, and I haven't even tweaked my belt for life steal and more resist wouldn't hurt but it certainly isn't super important. Why does someone need armor when they aren't getting hit?

@Exiter - First thing that 'jumped' out at me was when you said you leap in to battle. If you keep dying, I would just walk in and if things get hectic I would save my leap for the exit.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
how much dps should i be looking for on the character sheet in order to sustain my HP with this build? what amount of lifesteal? im currently a loh spinning barb. I think i would just need a lifesteal weapon and belt
Reply Quote
I love reading posts where people state that they are having great success with their current build. This in turn causes me with great excitement to click on their profile and view their said build. Then I see something like this...

Str: 2146

Vit: 1792

I am then let down and realize that with stats like that I could probably farm medium to large packs of Belials . . . ef·ficient·ly.
Reply Quote
Switched from S/B and not going back... Only changed my rings,gloves and belt.

Working on an amulet, but yeh this spec is awesome been using it since I found my skorn 2 days ago. Noticed this post and had to post something D: .

Rend is too good at the moment, 20k to 100k ticks ( bit random but w/e) healing from 1k to 10k per sec as well, pretty OP, nerf inc?!?! ;P

Kept revenge as it helps heal when in massive packs of mobs, rend can't be cast when ur being whacked by 20 mobs. Damage is good too, 200k crits.

Kept leap to chase after runners and oh shiet moments.

Dps is pretty good, 60k white damage average, 250k average crits on cleave.

Don't see myself going back to sword and board ever..
Edited by sWapple#6512 on 8/28/2012 10:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
tonight im gonna change my build i was using frenzy, but with the changes in 1,04 im incline to try some new builds.

Thanks for the info in the thread.
Reply Quote
With high enough dps, I feel like you can take out wotb and replace it with something else. I use a cleave/rend/charge(merciless assault) build that's alot of fun and provides good mobility with charge and leap. Vs large groups you just rend the front of the pack, charge thru, rend the end of the pack (especially ranged), then keep charging thru them till they all die. Finish off the rest of the group with cleave/rend. Killing in this way never gets old for me. It also helps to have a little life steal too.

The build is especially effective vs kiters as you can leap, rend, charge, rend all the kiters.

Dangerous elites can be handled by using the classic leap/ignore pain/leap combo while cleaving/rending. Furious charge out to escape and reset your cooldowns.
Edited by Xanderprime#1986 on 8/28/2012 11:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]