Diablo® III

2h Cleave/Rend build is AMAZING + FUN

08/28/2012 11:04 AMPosted by Xanderprime
With high enough dps, I feel like you can take out wotb and replace it with something else.

I thought about this, but the first time I got frozen or nightmared removed me of this thought.
Reply Quote
So I've been a full-tank barb since release. Walking around with 900 AR unbuffed and 1500 LoH with 40% block rate means that I pretty much never die but with only 8k DPS...they don't die either (but I always play in group).

With the new legendaries, my group's been collecting random things that seem fun. MAXIMUS SO FUN. I learned that if I tweeked my gear a bit, it could kill much faster. Then I saw this post, I bought a Skorn...

TOO MUCH FUN. It's like I'm playing nightmare again!

I'm just wondering why no one uses Ground Stomp? I mean, I've been using it since my tank days but it works so well with rend. I feel that it has more farming efficiency than any other skill.

You were exactly like me sir, I had 1600 loh, 43% block, and 900 AR and only 8k dps. I was a huge help in the group I play with using ground stomp and keeping mobs on me while my group killed everything. I bought a Skorn and changed some of my gear and the game is so much more fun now.

Just picked up my belt for 18mil which I think is a steal. Perfect resist, 15 max fury, 2.9% life steal, AND 14% cleave damage. Yes it has low strength but I hope the cleave damage makes up for it. Can't wait to try it out when i'm home from work. Now I just need to start saving for a an IK chest and I'll be laughing at like 1k resist all.
Reply Quote
I use Rend/bloodlust + Bash/clobber + EQ and it is amazing. ACT3 is on farm status and my gear is nothing great. With this build I am also able to maintain a high level of MF. I never liked the double nado build and this build is much funner to play.
Reply Quote
I love reading posts where people state that they are having great success with their current build. This in turn causes me with great excitement to click on their profile and view their said build. Then I see something like this...

Str: 2146

Vit: 1792

I am then let down and realize that with stats like that I could probably farm medium to large packs of Belials . . . ef·ficient·ly.

Isn't that the truth. See all these comments about changing getting more efficient, get excited click on their profile only to see their DPS is over 100K with 75K HP and all the other bells and whistles, well no kidding you can farm anywhere using probably any build with those stats/gear...let down, not everyone has/can afford/wants to buy billionaire gear!

I feel compelled to review both of your gear, since you're putting on the sad panda face.

@jerjabs - is your gold find gear on? Or is that your normal stuff? You're not that far away from having the needed pieces. Up your All Resist another 100 (Bracers and Helm could use it obviously) and you're practically set.

@Devilspawn - Get a 2H, add All Resist on the bracers and helm

You both should be able to run Act 1 in that, I would think.
Edited by Lukaim#1833 on 8/28/2012 11:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Grandfather just dropped for me last night (Act III Sin tower, from the chest at the bottom on the first flight of stairs).

I must say it is was a good build for 1H but is a great build for a 2H, making up for the loss of crit.
Reply Quote
08/28/2012 11:35 AMPosted by Lukaim
With high enough dps, I feel like you can take out wotb and replace it with something else.

I thought about this, but the first time I got frozen or nightmared removed me of this thought.

Yeah I can understand this. If I do die, it tends to be because of frozen. But really that's my own fault too as I can dodge it (or charge/leap out). Nightmare is a pain too, but it seems much better than before (not getting chain feared anymore). Nightmare cooldown seems to be longer.

I guess for me I'd prefer not to wait for the wotb cooldown before moving on. Especially with high enough dps with wrath up, you'll can just melt the pack then have to wait for most of the cooldown since you killed them so quick.
Reply Quote
Been using a slight deviation from these builds the last couple of days and it works really well:

Warcry-Impunity
Rend - Bloodlust
Battlerage - Into the Fray
Sprint - Run like the Wind

Bash - Punish
Leap - Iron Impact

Have about 49k dps, 2000LoH, 35k life, 250 AR. Weapon is high dps but nothing special and can be had for pretty cheap (bought mine for 900k).

Ton of fun with lots of mobility, good defense and health regen, good dps and rend just demolishes stuff almost instantly (especially with buff from Bash rune)
Reply Quote
Only real reasons I have WotB is for chasing goblins and breaking CC in the situation where it means certain death otherwise.

Not that I don't enjoy seeing the occasional 500k crit though ;)
Reply Quote
I can farm Act 1 reasonably well with my current build, but Rend never seems to refill me to full when I most need it to. I have a feeling it's because my 16K+ DPS means it can't keep pace with my 21K+ HP, but I can't help but feel that the fact it's a Heal Over Time is working against it since the critters are still beating on me while they dissolve. I don't have any Life Leech, which may also be a factor (I do have 300 LoH (gem in weapon), but it doesn't seem to contribute much against Elites).

That said, it's been a huge help against Elites in the Halls; I have to kite some of them (Dark Berserkers and Hulks, for example) due to their heavy hits, and the damage keeps on ticking while I draw them out which shortens the fights.
Reply Quote
[quote="64122168427"]
Yeah I can understand this. If I do die, it tends to be because of frozen. But really that's my own fault too as I can dodge it (or charge/leap out). Nightmare is a pain too, but it seems much better than before (not getting chain feared anymore). Nightmare cooldown seems to be longer.

You, and others, may have missed in the LENGTHY patch notes that in 1.04 if you get nightmared you become immune to another nightmare for 6 seconds. No more chain nightmare!

There were also some changes to the shielding affix, like the last elite alive can't shield himself and other stuff.

I'll think about dropping Wrath, but as someone also mentioned, it's great for chasing the mighty goblin! Maybe I should add Seismic Slam instead?
Reply Quote
I can farm Act 1 reasonably well with my current build, but Rend never seems to refill me to full when I most need it to. I have a feeling it's because my 16K+ DPS means it can't keep pace with my 21K+ HP, but I can't help but feel that the fact it's a Heal Over Time is working against it since the critters are still beating on me while they dissolve. I don't have any Life Leech, which may also be a factor (I do have 300 LoH (gem in weapon), but it doesn't seem to contribute much against Elites).

That said, it's been a huge help against Elites in the Halls; I have to kite some of them (Dark Berserkers and Hulks, for example) due to their heavy hits, and the damage keeps on ticking while I draw them out which shortens the fights.

@Gmasters I have a couple suggestions which might help make act 1 a little easier for you.

- replace Warcry Invigorate with Warcry Impurity
- replace Rend with Revenge Provocation (it will heal a lot more with your gear)
- replace Frenzy Maniac with Frenzy Sidearm rune
- Replace Ignore Pain Ignorance is Bliss with Ignore Pain Iron Hide

Add me in game, while I'm farming tonight if i run into anything that I don't need and will be an upgrade for you I'll make sure to save it and filter some gear to you. A lot of your gear could use some work (more life and higher resist especially) and I'd be happy to help you with it.
Reply Quote
I love reading posts where people state that they are having great success with their current build. This in turn causes me with great excitement to click on their profile and view their said build. Then I see something like this...

Str: 2146

Vit: 1792

I am then let down and realize that with stats like that I could probably farm medium to large packs of Belials . . . ef·ficient·ly.

Isn't that the truth. See all these comments about changing getting more efficient, get excited click on their profile only to see their DPS is over 100K with 75K HP and all the other bells and whistles, well no kidding you can farm anywhere using probably any build with those stats/gear...let down, not everyone has/can afford/wants to buy billionaire gear!

Well to the two of you, I would say my stats yesterday before my weapon were about ~1700 Str, ~35k Life, 7k armor and 45k DPS. I was doing just fine. Had a 1200 damage Mace with only 2.7% LS (pre-patch oldie).

I just had a friend give me my current Axe (I know it's just 883 damage) but added a ton to my stats and now I am mowing down things even faster and can carry groups of lower geared friends too. I think both of you are a couple of upgrades away from ~1700 str levels.

Also note that more ridiculous stat 2H weps are being added to the game per hour than being sold for millions. Hold tight, prices are tumbling and all of us can score something great in a matter of week or so.
Reply Quote
y not just kill them before they can even touch u?

cleave(rupture)
battlerage(bloodshed)
leap(call of arreat)
rend(bloodlust)
EQ(call)
Wotb(insanity)

passives: wpn master, ruthless, superstition

jump in, rend off and whack. rupture+bloodshed will make everything xplode mostly in 1hit.
against elites, they will melt in EQ+rend. basically u can alternate between EQ & Wotb when cd. this is way faster in killing & more fun compared to waiting for little tornadoes to spin.
Reply Quote

I feel compelled to review both of your gear, since you're putting on the sad panda face.

@jerjabs - is your gold find gear on? Or is that your normal stuff? You're not that far away from having the needed pieces. Up your All Resist another 100 (Bracers and Helm could use it obviously) and you're practically set.

@Devilspawn - Get a 2H, add All Resist on the bracers and helm

You both should be able to run Act 1 in that, I would think.

I can play act 1-4 now. I was just pointing out that some people's gear is over the top good and any build will kick !@# for them.
Reply Quote

@Gmasters I have a couple suggestions which might help make act 1 a little easier for you.

- replace Warcry Invigorate with Warcry Impurity
- replace Rend with Revenge Provocation (it will heal a lot more with your gear)
- replace Frenzy Maniac with Frenzy Sidearm rune
- Replace Ignore Pain Ignorance is Bliss with Ignore Pain Iron Hide

Add me in game, while I'm farming tonight if i run into anything that I don't need and will be an upgrade for you I'll make sure to save it and filter some gear to you. A lot of your gear could use some work (more life and higher resist especially) and I'd be happy to help you with it.

Funnily enough, most of the switches you recommend are what I had before going to the current setup. The reason I use IiB is because I don't have any regen to speak of on my gear, and Maniac is to help my DPS against Elites.

As for Revenge vs Rend: you're probably right that I need a lot more damage for Rend to really work well, but it does have the advantage that it can be used while kiting while Revenge really can't as it needs to be activated first. On the other hand, that same nature means that the additional incoming offsets the healing gained while 'waiting' in my case, as I'm not sufficiently 'positive' survival-wise vs the critters to gain the full benefits. I am probably going to revert anyway, as with my current gear I haven't enough Aspd to properly maintain Fury for Rend use against single hard targets.

As for my gear overall: yeah, it's lagging a bit, but then I deliberately don't use the AH so am currently behind the curve. I can get by in early A2 with some careful play, but it's rough so I've been farming A1 for upgrades (and tomes/plans) in preparation.

EDIT: appreciate the gear offer, will definitely add you and will be on tonight as well.
Edited by gmasters#1185 on 8/29/2012 10:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I know this thread is old but I just bought D3 about a month ago and have been roaring through it. Up until last night I had cleared Inferno completely using a axe/board build with frenzy/SA, rend/BL, and overpower. My DPS was around 48k with my scoundrel, had about 48k HP, and 450ish resists (over 600 physical). I'm using the same passives now as I was then. I didn't use WotB because I hate waiting on the cooldown. I'd use leap/II to start the fight or to escape and use IP/IIB as my OH CRAP button. I was farming A2 and A3 solo with little to no deaths (except the occasional triple freeze or something like that).

Anyway a Pox dropped and I sold it for 34m and my whole life changed lol (my previous gear had a collective worth of maybe 5m). I saw this post and wanted to try something different so I tried to copy the OP as much as possible.

My DPS now is 74k (I think) with my scoundrel. So obviously that went WAY up (over 200k with WoTB). My thing is I am dying now...and I don't like it. I never died before. So can all of you theorycrafters out there tell me (outside of gear because I'm now down to 3m gold) what I can change skill-wise to improve my survivability?

I was thinking of trying an idea someone else on this thread posted about changing the rend rune to the increased distance and switching ruthless out for the passive LS as well as dropping WoTB (because I effing hate waiting on CDs) for Hammer.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for the great build ideas!
Reply Quote
my spec is a lot of fun and i kill very fast.. and don't recall the last time i died, however it doesn't work very well with high MP in 1.0.5 so keep that patch in mind. it's around the corner
Edited by Servindix#1727 on 10/9/2012 8:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Oh I forgot to mention my resists all went up by about 100 since I switched builds as well so I'm really scratching my head about how I used to be able to stand in whatever I wanted to basically...I know my HP went down about 17k so maybe that's the issue?

@Servindix - My gear isn't quite up to snuff with yours and your DPS is about 50k more than mine lol so I don't know that I can use your build just yet.

I'm just asking for advice on what I can do to tweak my build with my current gear to increase survivability until I can increase my gear a bit more. Just so everyone knows my next upgrades will be the IK chest and helm. I'll probably swap those gloves out for something better but I only gave up 32% crit dmg (which I picked up from another piece) from my old gloves so it was a HUGE upgrade last night.
Reply Quote
leap instead of ignore pain. better mobility, less cool down. gearwise, u need more hp, its on the low-end. i'd say replace your boots with additional vit and movement speed.
Reply Quote
since you're upgrading your helm, don't forget to find one with crit chance and a socket.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]