Diablo® III

DOTA 2

View profile
So not long ago I decided I'd like to try out MOBA games. Got League of Legends downloaded, seems fun and competitive but I'm not sure about the long grind to get in-game currency.

I'd consider DotA, but I can't find my old Warcraft 3 CD and would rather not buy Warcraft 3 again to play it. Can you play DotA without having Warcraft 3? Also, how much better is DotA 2? Does it play much the same as other MOBA games? Is it worth waiting for the official F2P release, or is it worth it to buy the beta now?
Reply Quote
View profile
08/31/2012 10:11 AMPosted by Revan
Yes, you do need WC3 to play Dota 1. Dota 1 is still being patched regularly, so it is a very balanced game. Is it still that hard to get a dota 2 beta key these days?

When I looked into getting a beta key, you have to fill out a survey on how often you play Dota, how good you are at it, what level your hero usually is at the end of a game, etc. Kind of gave me the indication that they wanted beta users to be familiar with the first game.
Reply Quote
So not long ago I decided I'd like to try out MOBA games. Got League of Legends downloaded, seems fun and competitive but I'm not sure about the long grind to get in-game currency.

I'd consider DotA, but I can't find my old Warcraft 3 CD and would rather not buy Warcraft 3 again to play it. Can you play DotA without having Warcraft 3? Also, how much better is DotA 2? Does it play much the same as other MOBA games? Is it worth waiting for the official F2P release, or is it worth it to buy the beta now?

Look out for Heroes of Newerth, is pretty much the same game as Dota 2 and recently has became free. And Dota 2 is exactly the same game as Dota with better graphics and UI. I believe Dota 2 is having some problems with monetization so maybe can take a little while to release. But buying the beta key is worthwhile since the game is fully functional.
Reply Quote
Dota 2 is 10 times more complex and deep than LoL.

Lol is casual but makes you grind for IP to buy champions or dump real money because the grind is slow.

Dota 2 has all the heroes unlocked by default and you just optionally buy or grind cosmetic items but it's just a bonus.

LoL

Easier to learn
Easy to become average player
Simpler strategies
More casual
Fun MOBA
More 'customization' - runes and talent trees

Dota 2

Very Complex
Difficult to become a medium skilled player
All heroes available
Much more active items
More strategies
Better graphics/animations/music
Better replay and spectator modes with broadcasters available right in the game

------

I myself spent about 50 euros in LoL and I find it a fun game
But I find dota 2 much better for my taste
Reply Quote
View profile
I guess I'll stick with LoL for awhile longer since at least I can learn the ropes without heading right into pvp.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]