Diablo® III

Upcoming Change to Trail of Cinders

How is it a bug when it was clearly 1500% in the patch notes?
Vault

Skill Rune - Action Shot

Will now always shoot 4 arrows

Skill Rune - Trail of Cinders

Now leaves a trail of fire behind the player dealing 1500% weapon damage over 3 seconds

If you guys are making nerfs based on the fact that you didn't test something before releasing it, that's fine. But at least be honest about it.
Reply Quote
I suppose legacy nat prices should come down a bit now.
Reply Quote
Do bugs usually come with matching tooltips and patch notes? So you overbuffed it, okay. But that's not quite the same thing as a bug, is it?

I'd understand the claim that it is a bug if the patch notes had said 500% over 3 seconds, the in-game tooltip sayd 500% over 3 seconds...but it was actually doing 1500%.
Edited by Tiakatt#1643 on 8/31/2012 5:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
08/31/2012 05:00 PMPosted by GreenY
What a silly change. If you see anyone using Trail of Cinders when it does 300% tell me. Half our skills are already useless. A good amount of our passive is worthless making 2-3 passive pretty much mandatory.

Unfortunately, you're totally right.
Currently build diversity is very poor compared to the numbers of skills / runes.
Edited by Cam#1198 on 8/31/2012 5:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
300% means nobody will be using it as it is ridiculously low. Blizz keeps talking built diversity but the definition of diversity is diffrent in everybody's mind or so it appears. ToC is immense fun as is but everybody knew that a nerf was coming as soon as everybody has it in their DH builds (just check everybody's profile and it is obvious that everybody has it :) Now I am starting to really think that Blizz is treating Diablo like an MMO and these balaning changes are getting very annoying. Grrrr

PS If it was April 1st I would think that this blue post was April's Fool joke :)
Edited by rsim#1286 on 8/31/2012 5:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Does nobody find it strange that every time DH come up with a fun and interesting way to play their class, it's pretty much nerfed into the ground?

How come there isn't more of a fuss being made about this and WW Barbs remaining as strong as they are (even getting buffed in the last patch)?
Reply Quote
So much hypocrisy in this post.... You wanna provide more build variety ? Then un-nerf LoHunters and nerf gloom instead.
Reply Quote
08/31/2012 05:05 PMPosted by Nuitara
Does nobody find it strange that every time DH come up with a fun and interesting way to play their class, it's pretty much nerfed into the ground?

Probabily because DH are one of the class with highest dps
Reply Quote
08/31/2012 05:04 PMPosted by rsim
300% means nobody will be using it as it is ridiculously low. Blizz keeps talking built diversity but the definition of diversity is diffrent in everybody's mind or so it appears. ToC is immense fun as is but everybody knew that a nerf was coming as soon as everybody has it in their DH builds (just check everybody's profile and it is obvious that everybody has it :) Now I am starting to really think that Blizz is treating Diablo like an MMO and these balaning changes are getting very annoying. Grrrr

No. Not everyone has it. Unless you're quite tanky or lots of +discipline, it becomes quite clear you can easily get yourself killed by using it.
Reply Quote
not good
Reply Quote
I don't think Blizz knows the meaning of "bug."

Just be honest and say you miscalculated and did not intend to release such a fun ability that lets DHs be able to hold their own and deal so much damage. For us players, it's a case of being too good to be true. When I saw that 1500% damage distribution, my first thought was this can't last. It's a trap! And sure enough. Bait and switch much? Given all the "tuning" in the past two patches, I guess the answer is Yes.
Reply Quote
It does need changed, but 300% is not nearly enough, consider 750% over 3 to make it even a consideration.
Reply Quote
Seriously saw this coming...

But to call it a BUG is an insult to the community.
Someone messed up and should take responsibility for it. A bug doesn't change the description and the output of the skill itself.

How do I know?

Because for awhile smokescreen still read 3 seconds even though it was nerfed to 1 in game.. confused a bunch of DHs.

This wasn't a BUG, it was someones mistake for not realizing (again) that it would be the dominant build.

EVERY TIME casters find a decent build Blizzard has nerfed it.
Surprisingly WDs still deal TONS of damage, but dont expect that to last lol.

Apparently if you aren't a glass canon you aren't meant to play D3 as a caster. And if you're melee (I assume) you HAVE to run LoH. Brilliant... how long does Blizzard plan to spend "balancing" this game?

Just a side note... expect to go through ALLLLL of this again when PvP is released... Except 10 times worse cause everyone will rage on forums that this class is better than that class (hell it even happens now lol)
Reply Quote
08/31/2012 05:06 PMPosted by Hanfresco

No. Not everyone has it. Unless you're quite tanky or lots of +discipline, it becomes quite clear you can easily get yourself killed by using it.

Of course "everybody" was used as a generalization by me and you are right that not everybody has it but it is quite popular :)
Reply Quote
LOL @ BLizzard, your documentation even says 1500% yet you call it a bug. DH's have happily been using this since 1.04, the first positive thing done to the DH since the IAS nerf, and you go destroy our hope again by taking it away.

You said you wanted to make all skills viable, well 300% is not viable because of the danger you need to put yourself in to use it effectively. Yes its nice, but now it will be totally useless again.

Meanwhile, Barbs, who were already insane with their 2000% earthquake + WW + many other things, got a nice buff with 2h weapons.

Barbs are now insane, yet its the DH that gets the nerf.

LOL @ Blizzard.
Reply Quote
08/31/2012 05:05 PMPosted by Nuitara

so people will spend a lot of money on the RMAH to adjust to the new(and temporary) reality
Reply Quote
Community Manager
08/31/2012 04:54 PMPosted by JTB1965
Agree not a bug a bug is something that is doing something not as intended. It is dealing 1500% damage it is working as it was designed.

We did not intend for the rune to deal 1500% weapon damage over 3 seconds. The value we're reducing it to (300% weapon damage over 3 seconds) is what we originally designed for the rune in 1.0.4.

So what's bugged? The fire on the ground deals damage 5 times a second, and we set a value for how much damage we wanted Trail of Cinders to do in that period of time. Unfortunately, that value was incorrectly added to the individual ticks instead. So, the amount of damage currently done by each of those 5 ticks is actually the total amount of damage it's supposed to do over the entire second. That part is a bug.

We didn't catch this during testing, which is absolutely our fault. There are still very good reasons for fixing this issue, and they're outlined in the main post.
Edited by Lylirra on 8/31/2012 5:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
you call this a bug? it should be a better excuse if you just want to nerf something LOL
Reply Quote
I do not approve of this.

Many wont be happy about this.
Edited by Ketchup#1231 on 8/31/2012 5:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
:(

I was having so much fun with it, writing my Zorro "L" into the demons.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]