Diablo® III

Upcoming Change to Trail of Cinders

08/31/2012 05:09 PMPosted by SBC
Does nobody find it strange that every time DH come up with a fun and interesting way to play their class, it's pretty much nerfed into the ground?

so people will spend a lot of money on the RMAH to adjust to the new(and temporary) reality

@%*$ this, I learned from the yo-yo balancing of WoW never to go down that road.

3 more weeks Blizz, after that you will be but a memory to a lot of us.
Reply Quote
A bug? Why don't you just say that you buffed it too much? The change is written on the patch notes goddam it.
Reply Quote
I don't play DH but I have to speak up for the DH players... Why is DH the only class that always gets the nerf bat? Their skills are not very OP as compared to other classes as it stands right now and by nerfing their skills, it is making them more gear dependent than ever.

The DH that was advertised prior to launch and the DH now is completely different. I thought that DH was a cool class to use because it looks like it was able to kill hordes of demons in a blink of the eye with their massive aoe and unlimited magical arrows. Right now,the game play of DH feels like a sissy running around with cloak between his legs trying to flee from hordes of demons - the exact opposite of what was advertised.
Reply Quote
08/31/2012 05:06 PMPosted by Hanfresco
No. Not everyone has it. Unless you're quite tanky or lots of +discipline, it becomes quite clear you can easily get yourself killed by using it.

Actually most players still use Vault + ToC as a defensive / kitting ability.
Reply Quote
Didn't the patch notes clearly state the damage was going up to 1500%?
How is that a bug?
Reply Quote
In further news, Blizzard found out a class was nearing WW barbs in terms of farming efficiency.

"We're going to deal with this problem hard and fast. We're trying to promote build diversity across the 4 classes. Since players found a skill that works we're going to nerf it to be as bad as the other skills."

Barbarian imbalances are expected to be addressed in the future. Sometime around patch 2.0, or whenever Jay has farmed enough gear, whichever comes first.
Edited by budxors#1451 on 8/31/2012 5:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Bull!@#$, how you gonna try to say that it was a bug, the damn patch notes noted 1500%, that's not a damn bug, maybe a mistake, or maybe they didn't realize that the majority of DH's would take advantage of this, but don't call it a damn bug!!!!!

I normally don't get mad but that's a damn slap in the face!!
Reply Quote
900% over 6 seconds.

That would be fine.
You guys should stop going from "over9000" to "lessthan100" or vice versa with your "balancing" all the time.
Edited by FeiLing#2693 on 8/31/2012 5:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
No don't nerf it.

Its a fun build that takes good and very specific gear to pull off.
Reply Quote
thats quite a nerf...thing about this skill is its difficult to use, it requires timing and can only be used after proper setup, spamming this skill gets you killed.

Some skills should be hard and dangerous with a good reward....its a fun skill but with that damage nerf, wont be on any of my builds.

This is a knee jerk reaction the same as the IAS, and repair builds, somone needs to either A. test these things before launch, or B. stop nerfing things so !@#$%^- much.
Reply Quote
08/31/2012 05:10 PMPosted by Lylirra
Agree not a bug a bug is something that is doing something not as intended. It is dealing 1500% damage it is working as it was designed.

The fire on the ground deals damage 5 times a second, and we set a value for how much damage we wanted Trail of Cinders to do in that period of time. Unfortunately, that value was incorrectly added to the individual ticks. So, the amount of damage currently done by each of those 5 ticks is actually the total amount of damage it's supposed to do over the entire second. That part is a bug.

We didn't catch this during testing, which is absolutely our fault. There are still very good reasons for fixing this issue, and they're outlined in the main post.

It is a bug, see above.
Reply Quote
Bug my !@#.

Let me guess, you went through inferno act 1 and realized that it destroys white mobs and elites and figured "hey, might as well piss off DHs again."

Without legacy nats and LOH or gloom, ToC is pretty much suicide in act 3.

Congrats on nerfing that build diversity that you like to parrot so much.

Good thing you're leaving your precious WW barbs alone.
Edited by Arsenic#1199 on 8/31/2012 5:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Agree not a bug a bug is something that is doing something not as intended. It is dealing 1500% damage it is working as it was designed.

The fire on the ground deals damage 5 times a second, and we set a value for how much damage we wanted Trail of Cinders to do in that period of time. Unfortunately, that value was incorrectly added to the individual ticks. So, the amount of damage currently done by each of those 5 ticks is actually the total amount of damage it's supposed to do over the entire second. That part is a bug.

We didn't catch this during testing, which is absolutely our fault. There are still very good reasons for fixing this issue, and they're outlined in the main post.

Thanks for clarifying.

I don't have a problem with this: I used ToC before 1.04 and will use it in 1.05 onwards (or whatever Blizz decides to call the next patch). To me, ToC was always just an enhancement to Vault, which I've been using for the vast majority of the time I've been playing.
Reply Quote
The problem is less the skill damage and more the set bonus for Natalya's set. Any discipline skill will appear more overly powerful when these items are used. It will make PVP balance difficult too. Nerf the set bonus and leave trail of cinders at least more viable than what is proposed.
Reply Quote

OK, so your saying basically you still want it to do 1500% damage over its full duration, and not per tick, that's fine, so the tool tip was right, and you just have to fix the mechanics on your side right?
Reply Quote
Another DH Nerf. Great.

Meh (Me before 1.0.4)
YEY ( Me @ 1.0.4)
Meh (Me right now - before 1.0.5)
Reply Quote
Nothing needs to be nerfed. With this change i can finally keep up with a barb friend of mine who has similar gear.
Reply Quote
could you atlest up the time to 7 or 8 sec. I think otherwise 300 is way to big a nerf for the only fun skill we had.
Edited by Stonewall#2143 on 8/31/2012 5:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest

I can live with this getting changed, as it trivialized boss encounters and packs as well, but could you at least give us DHs back our jagged spikes LoH procs? Without it we're stuck going right back to glass cannon, which to say the least, just isn't very fun. Most of our skills don't even make use of LoH well if at all, and losing JS really hurt us. I know that once the ToC fix goes live, I'm probably done if JS isn't brought back to its former state simply because I don't enjoy the other skills that got the "buff" in 1.0.4 (and hardly a buff at that), and things like rapid fire which I do like simply do not proc LoH at all (it's said to have a 17% coefficient, but it never procs for me. Ever.)

Without JS/LoH, reflects damage just owns us and it really isn't fair that a single class gets royally screwed by that affix while the others laugh at it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]