Diablo® III

Upcoming Change to Trail of Cinders

The fire on the ground deals damage 5 times a second, and we set a value for how much damage we wanted Trail of Cinders to do in that period of time. Unfortunately, that value was incorrectly added to the individual ticks. So, the amount of damage currently done by each of those 5 ticks is actually the total amount of damage it's supposed to do over the entire second. That part is a bug.

So its actually doing 4500% damage in all??
Reply Quote
Anyway, inferno is so nerfed that we can now farm act 3 with a 10M budget .. without gloom and ToH. Come on, that's what 1.0.4 is all about .. pleasing glasshunters who fail at farming act 3 and threaten to leave.
Reply Quote
This is not okay, of course it's powerful, but come on. It's not overly powerful. In fact its best use is very much defensive in nature. I use it to vault away from creatures, and find the damage it deals to be a nice addition. It's never enough to make a difference in a tough elite fight, and mass murdering trash mobs this way is very fun. Add in a Reflect Damage mob though and the whole method falls apart. It has its weaknesses, and its bonuses.

The point, it's a lot of fun, and does not need to be nerfed. Additionally, it fosters creative builds, which should be, and have been hinted at being encouraged by blizzard staff.

I don't understand these nerfs to one of the most creative builds in the game. Why can't there be a tank DH? Is there any reason why? Please, explain.

Give us our procs back on Caltrops if you're going to do this. Or maybe just give us Nether Tentacles back? This is getting old, DH is a fun class to play, but it's so narrow mindly the same across the board that I desire deeply to move on to other classes.
Reply Quote
Does nobody find it strange that every time DH come up with a fun and interesting way to play their class, it's pretty much nerfed into the ground?

How come there isn't more of a fuss being made about this and WW Barbs remaining as strong as they are (even getting buffed in the last patch)?

Fun and interesting? You mean forever smoke screen, making you invincible forever with no gear needed (You can be almost SS'd the whole fight now, but with gear),

or nether tenticles that was ticking 3 times instead of once like it's suppose to (It's suppose to have the utility of lifesteal, having both more damage than ball lightning and lifesteal made it a must).

And now a disciplined skill out damaging most of the hatred using and building skills (They clearly explain why a discipline skill shouldn't be stronger than one that uses the offensive resource)

This is most likely a bug, that they noticed before the patch, and left it in to please everyone, however players found ways to make it nearly a must skill that did far more damage than they hoped for.

Maybe They could of tested it better, yes, but this was a large patch, and they are still working on new content patches, 1.1 pvp patch , AND having some expansion planning and systems to work with.

While I may not agree with HOW they are explaining why this nerf is happening, I fully understand WHY, and this is the correct decision.

Now they need to buff a normal, non-CM wizard some, some heavy spenders for WD (like haunt and stuff), non WW barb, monk still needs some spender buffs, and DH's are close to the most balanced, but no one plays DH as much because they don't have an amazing broken build.
Reply Quote
08/31/2012 05:20 PMPosted by Jibikao
Why should Trail of Cinders do 1500% over 3s?

Because Demon Hunters fall over dead a lot faster.

I'm not going to claim that 1500% is acceptable, but Blizzard doesn't offer much for a Demon Hunter where as all the other classes get always on mitigation and a fair amount other defensive stuff. They expect us to constantly run away to live, I thought vault helped a lot in that regard, especially for multiplayer where they have more health and are tougher to kill.
Reply Quote
LOOOOOL saw it coming. Calling it a bug is hilarious though. Is it a bug that the toottip says 1500% as well? Is it a bug that the patchnotes said 1500%?

I agree with the change though. It's doing ridiculous damage and people (including me) are spending and finding ways to spend discipline over hatred to do damage.
Reply Quote
Lyr, how does this promote build diversity?

Tank DH = dead
Suicide Vault build = soon to be dead. This was the most fun I had playing DH. Going into a pack of trash mobs/elites with my 20k hp and 200AR knowing I might not survive was exhilarating!

There is now only 1 legitimate way of playing DH now :

Group Play: Sit behind the tank and Left click to victory
Solo Play: kite shoot kite shoot

Shadow power/gloom
HA w/ any rune
CA w/ LFB or CB
SS w/ w/e
Prep w/ w/e
Any skill that will be used rarely

Way to seriously ruin the fun.

We player's don't care if the developers don't like it.
We want to have as many options as possible to play this game how WE PLAYERS FEEL IS RIGHT. NOT HOW BLIZZARD WANTS IT

Jesus, do you guys actually think about asking the community whether or not they want it?

If you nerf it, nerf it to something still viable, like 1000% damage over how ever many seconds. You just don't nerf, you completely kill it and go way overboard.

Send that message to the devs and tell us what they think about that.

Once again blizzard, thank you for promoting "diverse" builds.
Reply Quote
This is not okay, of course it's powerful, but come on. It's not overly powerful. In fact its best use is very much defensive in nature. I use it to vault away from creatures, and find the damage it deals to be a nice addition. It's never enough to make a difference in a tough elite fight, and mass murdering trash mobs this way is very fun. Add in a Reflect Damage mob though and the whole method falls apart. It has its weaknesses, and its bonuses.

The point, it's a lot of fun, and does not need to be nerfed. Additionally, it fosters creative builds, which should be, and have been hinted at being encouraged by blizzard staff.

I don't understand these nerfs to one of the most creative builds in the game. Why can't there be a tank DH? Is there any reason why? Please, explain.

Give us our procs back on Caltrops if you're going to do this. Or maybe just give us Nether Tentacles back? This is getting old, DH is a fun class to play, but it's so narrow mindly the same across the board that I desire deeply to move on to other classes.

They nerfed procs coefficients because of the new legendary procs..
Reply Quote
haha bound to happen
Reply Quote
You have got to be kidding me. Demon Hunter was relatively a pain to play for me up until 1.0.4. I never had LoH gear so Im not sure how powerful LoH was prior to the latest patch but I heard a lot of people not happy with the changes. Then 1.0.4 comes out and I notice that ToC actually made DH somewhat useful and fun to play (much like what I see barbs doing with WW and wizards with CM) and now you're going to leave barb and wiz to be pretty much invincible and OP and DH will still be way too squishy and now worthless compared to what I see people doing with barbs and wizards in act 3.
Reply Quote
So the bug is that it's doing more damage per second that as intended? Why don't you jut fix it and leave it at 1500% over 3 seconds? What's the point of bringing it down to 300%?
Reply Quote
I'm really confused.

Blizzard and the tooltip states it is supposed to do 1500% damage over 3 seconds. That is what it is currently doing.

Now you say that is a bug (even though that was what it was announced to be), and that it is doing 5 times more damage than it it supposed to.

Why did Blizzard say it was supposed to do 1500% if it was only supposed to do 300%? That is not a bug. That is development error. Please don't call things a bug that are not bugs.
Reply Quote
You guys could pull an "ArenaNet" and just ban everyone who used trail of cinders exploit.
Reply Quote
08/31/2012 04:43 PMPosted by Lylirra
Ultimately, we want to continue to provide players with more build options and ways to feel creative with their skill/gear selections,

well one way you can do that is undo the ridiculous breakage that was done to LOH builds with nerfing of shuriken cloud, gas grenades, and caltrops.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
08/31/2012 05:31 PMPosted by Alexithymia
So the bug is that it's doing more damage per second that as intended? Why don't you jut fix it and leave it at 1500% over 3 seconds? What's the point of bringing it down to 300%?

It was never intended to deal 1500% weapon damage over 3 seconds (that's the bug). The actual value we designed for Trail of Cinders in 1.0.4 was 300% weapon damage over 3 seconds.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]