Diablo® III

Fix the UI! $220 weapon accidentally sold

Community Manager
While this thread is a bit old, I saw that it’s been bumped a few times recently, so I wanted to jump in really quickly with some clarification about a new feature that went into patch 1.0.7 that might have slipped your notice.

As SirCris pointed out, one of the changes we made in patch 1.0.7 was that you can now identify items while in the vendor window. So if you talk to a vendor, you will be able to identify it using right click, and then you can also choose to sell it with a second right click. As usual, if you accidentally sell an item, you can still retrieve it from the vendor’s buy-back tab.

While you are in the vendor window, you should no longer be able to right click on an item in your inventory and accidentally equip it. Effectively, having a vendor window open while identifying your items should help ensure that you do not inadvertently equip items while you are identifying them.
Reply Quote
blizz , you guys could just add a LOCK button to the players items .
Reply Quote
@fmf sorry brah it feels mandatory so it wont happened ask around anything that feels mandatory wont happen
Reply Quote
So tonight the horrific happened. While identifying and selling a swath of rares, I right clicked once too often and accidentally switched the garbage mace i had just identified with my primary weapon axe I paid $220 for 2 months ago on the rmah. Oblivious to my mis-click, I sold the swath of crap ilvl 63 rares, my $220 axe included.

So I accept the fact that my carelessness led to this result. That said, the UI should never have let me get in this situation.

A. It is a very common scenario for players to identify large numbers of rares in one sitting. Aside from the new paragon ranks, that is the endgame.

B. There is no way to identify those items outside of right clicking. Accidentally right click twice on the same item though....and you just switched the piece of gear you identified with what you had equipped.

How does this happen?

You identify something, confirm its crap, then try to identify the thing next to it, but wing it and accidentally hit the thing you just identified and confirmed was sell bait. You right click again on the next unid piece and continue on your merry way. Then you go sell (carelessly counting on the fact it was all crap when you identified it so you don't review it again_ and BAM just sold a piece of your equipped gear).

The right click to equip/swap items from inventory to equipped is a horribly dangerous UI element. It should be altered by one of the following:

1. Exclusively requiring drag and drop to equip items. Since you very rarely equip something new (especially compared to identifying things) this wouldnt really be burdensome.
2. If there must be a key combo, force the user to shift right click to alter equipped slots. Then its different then the identical mouse stroke used to identify something (save for the item context, id vs. unid)
3. Alter how items are identified from right clicking on them to some other keystroke or combo keystroke

Could also flag items purchased through the RMAH and prompt a warning before selling to a merchant.

I love d3, have been enjoying it since launch, was a long time d1, d2 (even spiritual cousins HGL and HGG) fan and player. I think you have created a great game Blizzard and 1.04 is a great improvement, but honestly after traveling the last week and not being able to do more than AH surf over hotel wifi. I was really looking forward to playing a bunch this weekend and raising paragon ranks, now.... I feel gut shotted and dont really want to play at all.

The UI can be improved to prevent this situation from happening. It should be.

Blizzard can't fix stupid.
Reply Quote
Customer Support won't do !@#$, this has happened to my brother and his echoing fury, all they told him was tough luck
Reply Quote
If you had played the game and earned the gold i might have felt sorry for you. Since you paid $$ for botted gold then sold your Pay to Win gear i think it's quite hilarious.
Reply Quote
Blizz,please add an item lock feature.
Reply Quote
03/28/2013 06:33 PMPosted by Genez
If people keep posting thread like this one, that's because there is a recurrent problem.

Indeed, the challenge is that it requires a mirror to see it. Considering that those who post about it can't use a mouse properly, this will likely continue to perplex for a while yet.
Reply Quote
Bump! I always double check what i npc now but luckily i was able to buy mine back before i left the game.
Reply Quote
Recently,accidentally converted my crafted gloves into materials...that was an 1 in 300. We should have a "LOCK" button!
Reply Quote
i guess not noticing your dps dropped by probably 100k wasnt a clear enough indicator you switch out an item. That or your weapon graphics changing
Reply Quote
So tonight the horrific happened. While identifying and selling a swath of rares, I right clicked once too often and accidentally switched the garbage mace i had just identified with my primary weapon axe I paid $220 for 2 months ago on the rmah. Oblivious to my mis-click, I sold the swath of crap ilvl 63 rares, my $220 axe included.

So I accept the fact that my carelessness led to this result. That said, the UI should never have let me get in this situation.

A. It is a very common scenario for players to identify large numbers of rares in one sitting. Aside from the new paragon ranks, that is the endgame.

B. There is no way to identify those items outside of right clicking. Accidentally right click twice on the same item though....and you just switched the piece of gear you identified with what you had equipped.

How does this happen?

You identify something, confirm its crap, then try to identify the thing next to it, but wing it and accidentally hit the thing you just identified and confirmed was sell bait. You right click again on the next unid piece and continue on your merry way. Then you go sell (carelessly counting on the fact it was all crap when you identified it so you don't review it again_ and BAM just sold a piece of your equipped gear).

The right click to equip/swap items from inventory to equipped is a horribly dangerous UI element. It should be altered by one of the following:

1. Exclusively requiring drag and drop to equip items. Since you very rarely equip something new (especially compared to identifying things) this wouldnt really be burdensome.
2. If there must be a key combo, force the user to shift right click to alter equipped slots. Then its different then the identical mouse stroke used to identify something (save for the item context, id vs. unid)
3. Alter how items are identified from right clicking on them to some other keystroke or combo keystroke

Could also flag items purchased through the RMAH and prompt a warning before selling to a merchant.

I love d3, have been enjoying it since launch, was a long time d1, d2 (even spiritual cousins HGL and HGG) fan and player. I think you have created a great game Blizzard and 1.04 is a great improvement, but honestly after traveling the last week and not being able to do more than AH surf over hotel wifi. I was really looking forward to playing a bunch this weekend and raising paragon ranks, now.... I feel gut shotted and dont really want to play at all.

The UI can be improved to prevent this situation from happening. It should be.

Blizzard can't fix stupid.

Yeh yeh you are smart you never misclick you are good.
Reply Quote
03/28/2013 07:45 PMPosted by Contra
Yeh yeh you are smart you never misclick you are good.

It's true. How can people who don't know what a comma is possibly be expected to use a mouse correctly?

Forget an item lock, Blizzard should hire a team of people to bubble wrap everything within stumbling distance of those who ask for such a feature.

Edit: Quote Added
Edited by MonTerran#1251 on 3/28/2013 7:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
well you take time and chance and then the longer you play the higher the chance that even you will make such an mistake.

Has nothing to do with stupid. Its simply math.

Thats why there are in many cases "fail safe systems" even there where you say "naw that can never happen".

If only stupid things would happen to stupid people, then this world would have a lot less problems But we are talking here about accidents. And I dont think even the most inteligent person on this board can not say that he never had some silly accient.
Reply Quote
you know in all seriousness, this is really a non-issue. could there be a lock button for this? sure. but on the flip side, why can't you just be more carefull? you can't equip things in the vendor window. so if you did sell something by accident to the vendor, it was because you already accidentally equipped it before hand.

the lock for the skills was desperatley needed because you could easily drag skills off the bar. for this though, it is much more just user error. stop being a princess and learn how to pay attention.
Reply Quote
Was the hot coffee too hot?
Reply Quote
I normally see this happening when playing Act 3 after killing Ghom. You are at the vendor and have identified all of the junk and are in the process of selling them all. In the process of doing this, someone goes and help Liah after she "can't control herself" yeah, I know, wild moment.

Anyways that "event" kicks the other player out of the vendor and if he is right clicking like crazy doesn't realize he has started swapping everything. He then realizes that he is not selling things to the vendor and then mindlessly sells all objects. I can see when people are in a rush they are not careful and end up regretting it.

Long story short, I am not defending people for losing "hard bought" items they actually paid money for. Just remember to take your time, because it is apparent you care about the game....a lot. You spent actual money on in game stuff and not on your rent. Take your time, farm for about 10 years and you will make your money back.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]