Diablo® III

Forked Lightning Build-1.0.4 -second thread

Continuation of the 1st thread here :

http://us.battle.net/d3/en-us/forum/topic/6246864939
Reply Quote
Thanks to james for this build... Love it... But i seem to die a little more that i would like to in act 3. Any help/suggestions on what to change with my gear would be great! Thanks in advance!
Reply Quote
Your helm is badly in need of crit chance. Just look for CC, Socket, INT (anything else is a bonus). If you have the cash to spare, look for VIT, Electrocute damage, and AR.

That Skorn is nice and all, but the LoH % on electrocute isn't great. Even with nice defenses, you might not be healing back enough to make up for the damage taken.

Also, and this is a more personal question regarding your build, but why FL for that gear you've got? JAMES has amazing CC, so he can live with a slow 2h and no source, but once I went 2h I found FL to be lacking. I now run Archon (and currently trying disintegrate for my off-archon dmg spell) and it works much better...but I went LS instead of LoH.
Reply Quote
^I have something for you to try:

Drop Glass Cannon for CM, use Energy Tap Rune for Energy Armor. That + Astral Presence will get you 140 Max AP, or 4 casts of Star Pact Meteor, assuming no Max AP items. That should help you keep Diamond Skin and Teleport available. This is for the Frost Hydra Meteor variant.

OR, you can try the unrelated build in my signature, doesn't rely on any procs except guaranteed ones.
Edited by DoctorDoom#1357 on 8/31/2012 7:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
^I have something for you to try:

Drop Glass Cannon for CM, use Energy Tap Rune for Energy Armor. That + Astral Presence will get you 140 Max AP, or 4 casts of Star Pact Meteor, assuming no Max AP items. That should help you keep Diamond Skin and Teleport available. This is for the Frost Hydra Meteor variant.

OR, you can try the unrelated build in my signature, doesn't rely on any procs except guaranteed ones.

Thanks for the comment guys. I'll try both. Doctorboom, i change what skill for star pact meteor? Blizzard?
Reply Quote
Your helm is badly in need of crit chance. Just look for CC, Socket, INT (anything else is a bonus). If you have the cash to spare, look for VIT, Electrocute damage, and AR.

That Skorn is nice and all, but the LoH % on electrocute isn't great. Even with nice defenses, you might not be healing back enough to make up for the damage taken.

Also, and this is a more personal question regarding your build, but why FL for that gear you've got? JAMES has amazing CC, so he can live with a slow 2h and no source, but once I went 2h I found FL to be lacking. I now run Archon (and currently trying disintegrate for my off-archon dmg spell) and it works much better...but I went LS instead of LoH.

Doesn't your AP run out fast with disintegrate and archon only each 2 minutes?
Reply Quote
hey guys, i tried running this build at 47k dps and 1.4 attack speed and had alot of trouble killing single targets. is this normal?
Reply Quote
Ok, I now have the hang of Option 1 (Blizz / Arcane Hydra), it works great in Act 1 after i upgraded my shield (for like 10k) and got better at using the skills. I did 4 runs, and increased my gold for 60k to +300k

However, with my current equipment, it is not working as nicely on the butcher, taking a looooong time to kill. Do you switch the build when facing a boss that doesnt have too many minions? I am thinking of learning the meteor / frost hydra tonight, and try to see if any improvement on the Butcher. Or any other guide, changes, i can make for the final bosses, maybe even change forklift lighting to another skill?
Reply Quote
not sure why you're using arcane dynamo? it doesn't work with hydra, and a 75% buff to blizzard sounds somewhat useless, especially since you are sacrificing illusionist and you express issues regarding survivability.

honestly i would just increase your dps. your defensive stats are fine to survive most elite packs in act3, you just gotta kill them more quickly.

Arcane Dynamo is there by mistake... little test i did before quiting yesterday. Can you tell me what item in my gear i should change to upgrade my dps fast?
Reply Quote
You swap Blizzard for Frost Hydra and Arcane Hydra for Star Pact Meteor.

If you can spam 4 meteors in succession with 140 AP you're going to get CM procs.

Just use Forked Lightning when your AP is low or while the Meteors are falling.
Reply Quote
You swap Blizzard for Frost Hydra and Arcane Hydra for Star Pact Meteor.

If you can spam 4 meteors in succession with 140 AP you're going to get CM procs.

Just use Forked Lightning when your AP is low or while the Meteors are falling.

I'll try that! Thanks for the advice. I'll post an update
Reply Quote
If you guys wouldn't mind, check out my gear and let me know what you would upgrade first?

Have about 30m to blow so I can hopefully get something decent.

Thinking about getting Zuni's chest or Tyrael's Might (for the MS mostly, that or Lacuni prowlers).

Any tips would be appreciated :)
Reply Quote
Hehe unless you get a lucky snipe or are happy with sad rolled variants lacunis and tyreals won't come below 50m :0

All other stats are available for 3-5M. It's really hard for me to justify spending a Premium of 30M just for another 12% move

Btw if youve gone Skorn, try RayOffrost- melts.
Reply Quote
08/31/2012 06:41 AMPosted by maxpouliot
Thanks to james for this build... Love it... But i seem to die a little more that i would like to in act 3. Any help/suggestions on what to change with my gear would be great! Thanks in advance!

The only thing different from the standard kiting blizz/hydra builds (which have all been around since pre-1.0.3) is the use of forked lightning, which was already known to be quite powerful to some people long before the first thread.
Edited by sabrewulf#1159 on 8/31/2012 7:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
pls give me advice on my char.. im using this build and farming act 3.. but im dying many times
Reply Quote
hydra was afected by arc dynamo, not sure how about after patch

gona try chaser build, hope it works with mine low dps(due to mf swaped with dps -therefor> tank disable)
Reply Quote
08/31/2012 10:01 PMPosted by CheckerGold
pls give me advice on my char.. im using this build and farming act 3.. but im dying many times

I dunno since if you look at my own wizard I do act 3 just fine. The only difference is that I have Galvanizing Ward instead of Cold-blooded. Your wizard seems to have more int/AR/CC/CD than mine too.

The only thing I can think of is that I have a lot of IAS, which means I can cast and run faster. I still die here and there in A3, but you sound like it's not worth it.
Reply Quote
Got a bit more CC and CD and DPS went up by a bit. Kinda don't want to go Skorn since I've just bought chant's wand not too long ago and pissing lightning is pretty fun for now. Looks like I just need to get more INT/CD ?
Reply Quote
It's awesome spec. Don't forget the +10% electrocute damage on helm. Good helm is expensive though.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]