Diablo® III

Forked Lightning Build-1.0.4 -second thread

DmN, Yeah I've found that FL is not the best against single targets!! it rules against mobs. I've included meteor as a supplement for increased damage.
Reply Quote
I sitll die alot in later act 3, can someone check my gear and see wehre I could use an uprgade?
Reply Quote
09/01/2012 01:17 PMPosted by Celbii
I sitll die alot in later act 3, can someone check my gear and see wehre I could use an uprgade?

I don't think your gear needs that much of an upgrade. Instead, I'd replace magic weapon with fracture teleport and Galv with Illusion. Your dps is plenty high enough as it is. I've actually got worse gear than you do and I'm not really having an issue in act 3. The interaction between diamond skin ,tel-fracture and illusionist helps quite a bit for survivability, as if you take a big hit that's absorbed by diamond skin, teleport will still refresh.

I'd also consider the scoundrel or templar instead of the sorceress. her armor upgrade is nice, but scoundrel for this build can give you a 10% damage bonus with a 50% uptime - Give him a bow with cold damage, high attack speed and his multishot ability and you'd be surprised at how much he helps kiting at times. The templar's life regen is also nice if you switch away from Galv ward, and having a big meatshield is also pretty awesome.
Edited by Myriad#1316 on 9/5/2012 6:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Ok, i did some experimenting in Act 1 and 2, and for the people with crap gear / skills like myself, here are my findings. Note, i do alot of switching skills for different monsters if playing solo (but for multi, i stick with mostly number 1 bellow). Pls note this only applies if you have crap gear.

1) In Act 1, the Fl + Meteor + Frost Hydra work wonderfull in multiplayer or vrs slow bosses / elites (or normal speed that wall you and the FL cant go over the wall, but the meteor can)
The Meteor really helps out pull out more damage and make you feel you are contributing, specially with a barb tanking. If you are the strongest in team, and everyone is dying, then this might not work as well, and you may need to switch out to one of the bellow, specially for the butcher, which can be a long fight. Note, in multi, i will still use Glass Canon vrs Astral for the overall better damage, as the astral is only for meteor on the bosses / slow elites and not good for all situations. In Solo, i sometimes switch Glass Cannon for Blurr, specially in act 2.

2) For fast moving opponents in solo or in a team where everyone is dying but you, then i find it more succesfull with meteor being replaced by arcane orb (celestial orb mostly - you can reach beyond wallers where FL cant reach, or tap the source for single monsters is excellent). This works great in act 2, where you are runing more than in act 1. I actually got this idea from some people in forums with fantastic gears / damage, so i gave it a try, and really love this one too.

3) Although i love the Frost Hydra, there are situations where the ellite is so strong / fast and you need a Lighting or Arcane Hydra to do the job for you as you run for your life, switch out the meteor for blizzard (stark or the one with less mana requirement).

All in all, thanks so much to the original poster and others with their variations, i am having alot more fun and success with these builds than before, and feel alot stronger too.

I guess another way to go at it if you want to do all of inferno at a slower pace with cheap equipment that should help survival alot, at the cost of low dps, it to forget about critical chance and replace it with All Resist and 100 life regen equipments with some vit or int. Also use blurr and no glass canon if possible, and have a nice shield. I saw a member who finished inferno with very little deaths having this setup with 45k life / 600 Resist All / 1k life regen + 600 life on hit, and only 16-18k dps (need a minimum of 15k for this to work), albeit taking alot longer. I may switch to this once i get enough money so i can finish act 2 and attempt act 3.
Edited by NightAngel#1846 on 9/5/2012 8:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
If you want a build to try out for Act 2, this is basically what I used when going through Act 2 and starting Act 3. Main differences were it was tailored to arcane orb instead of FL. But to fit FL I modified it a bit. Heres what Ive got.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UiQkSO!WdY!ZYYZZc

Basically you use teleport - fracture and mirror image - duplicates to stop the monsters and allow you to nuke. Give it a shot and let me know how it works

Here is the Arcane orb build I used as well if you are interested in trying that

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#icQSOk!YdX!aYYZcZ
Reply Quote
Hey h4rdcore, thanks for the builds. So basically, you replaced diamond skill by Mirror Image, and have forced weopen in, with either of FL or Arcane Orb. I can give it a go to see how well i survice, and if i see i die too often, i can probaly tweek it to change force wep to diamond skin instead. With the illusinist thought, i should have some decoys most of the time (maybe even without it). I can imagine the Arcane Orb being better, as FL is weak against single targets without something like Meteor / Arcane Orb / light or arcane hydra as back-up for crap gear, and you have to stand stil more often, so having a second type of attack gave some flex with fl alone, but the arcane alone should be good enough i imagine, but will experiment once i get a chance, hopefully tonight.

question, how were your resist in act 2, beg of act 3, and should i only start using prismatic armor once i get 300 resist all? I only have 100 RA at the moment. Also, on your second build, i dont see anything to slow down the enemy, how do you manage with that?
Edited by NightAngel#1846 on 9/5/2012 10:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
300 AR with Prismatic isn't enough for a3. You might as well got with Force Armor if your AR is that low.

I run a glass cannon version (Force Armor) of the FL build w/ 130k dps and it melts everything in A3 pretty fast.
Reply Quote
Hey Degamer106, wow, nice damage you have, and i am impressed you have no resist all or much defense at all!!! I guess you must kill so quickly you dont need any of that.

By the way, which hero are you guys using?

Also, at what point does Prismatic Armor become usefull of Force Armor, in case i want to go the defensive way?
Reply Quote
The reason I can get away with no slows with the orb build is for 2 reasons. First, since I constantly have images up the monster SHOULD attack them and i just stand back out of the way and nuke, this however is certainly not always the case with things that jump at you. Secondly, with arcane orb the explosion makes them stop for a second and also stop their attack animation. Not sure what causes it, cause I now see it with FL, but i think it has something to either do with crits or doing enough damage to make them "flinch". Also the cane hydra can cause this as well, but you may consider grabbing the frost hydra, i never did when using this build because it was pre 1.04 and frost hydra sucked. Temporal Flux is very hard to get since you really need the other 3 passives, but I guess glass cannon would have to be the one to go.

When I was using this spec I had about 200 AR and around 25-30k dps when I cleared act 2. I did find in act 3 though that it didnt work so well. I have not tested since 1.04 and been stuck on a FL kick, but i have 65k dps with just glass cannon now and It might be worth checking out with the frost hydra.

The AR value required to make prismatic better than force is not an easy number to come by. It depends on your armor, your health, they monster type, and affixes. I think I switched to prismatic once I was at about 25k hp and 350-400 all res to give you an extremely rough number. At these values you should at least be able to take 2 big hits with prismatic. The main place prismatic helps is things like molten, desecrate, mortars, reflect damage, arcane sentries, frozen. But you may be more likely to take more damage from the big hitters

Using the arcane orb build I switched between the scoundrel and templar. I personally like the scoundrel the most nowadays, but i have him decked out in CC gear. Cold damage bow that has blind chance, ammy with blind chance, and 2 lvl 35ish legendary rings that have fear chance on em. My templar is just decked in MF gear.
Reply Quote
what's up guys. Just wanted to say hi, and yes I'm still rocking this FL build with 181k unbuffed dps (glass cannon only).

I'm back to using a 1 hander and offhand, as it really stabilizes the damage output you get from FL. The next upgrade for me is a lacuni prowler (bracers) with crit % and int. After that, I'll get a trifecta gloves and that should put me above 200k unbuffed.

At a high gear level, I have found that lightning hydra is the best. This is because you no longer need arcane hydra's versatility, as your FL will wreck groups.
Edited by JAMES#6563 on 9/5/2012 3:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
09/05/2012 11:20 AMPosted by NightAngel
By the way, which hero are you guys using?

Templar since I run a Force Armor build. His healing helps a ton, especially against reflect mobs. If you're doing High AR/defense build, then one of the other two followers would be better for DPSing since you'll probably be taking next to no damage.

At a high gear level, I have found that lightning hydra is the best. This is because you no longer need arcane hydra's versatility, as your FL will wreck groups.

I was thinking of dropping Hydra completely and replacing that skill slot with Mirror Image. Might as well get another defensive skill for survival since FL is like 90% of the damage in this build anyways.

Also, 180k dps...wtf. That is a lot of INT.
Reply Quote
ok guys, i am in act 3, and after some equipment upgrade, i could do the first 2 - 3 quests without dying much.

So i got most of equipment to give Life Regen + AR, changed to prismatic armor / blurr / arcane hydra. At the stage i am, with cheap equipment, the arcane hydra seems to be doing well, but i havent experimented too much with lighting hydra. I upgrade the equipment for the templar, to have + str and + vitality, and now he doesnt die anymore, and i can effectively use him to be in between me and the monsters, whilst using the area to my advantage by being in tight spots where they cant get through. I am enjoying this alot, cause since playing normal, my favorate area to play was act 3, quest 1 and 2, and now i can play this in inferno, which is extremely fun. Now, i just bought a shield that gives me 26% block vrs 16 %, but i lose 400 armor, so not sure which one will be better.

Has anybody noticed that there has been a price increase in the equipments (none-legendary)? Thank god i had done most of my shopping.

Question for James, i noticed your new wep does not have life steal / life on hit, and i was wandering why? I am just wandering this cause i was thinking my next upgrade should be a wep with similar dmg, but either life steal or life per hit, but not sure which will work best, and could use some input on that.

Thanks
Reply Quote
Can someone please give some advices on my wizard?
Reply Quote
ok guys, i am in act 3, and after some equipment upgrade, i could do the first 2 - 3 quests without dying much.

So i got most of equipment to give Life Regen + AR, changed to prismatic armor / blurr / arcane hydra. At the stage i am, with cheap equipment, the arcane hydra seems to be doing well, but i havent experimented too much with lighting hydra. I upgrade the equipment for the templar, to have + str and + vitality, and now he doesnt die anymore, and i can effectively use him to be in between me and the monsters, whilst using the area to my advantage by being in tight spots where they cant get through. I am enjoying this alot, cause since playing normal, my favorate area to play was act 3, quest 1 and 2, and now i can play this in inferno, which is extremely fun. Now, i just bought a shield that gives me 26% block vrs 16 %, but i lose 400 armor, so not sure which one will be better.

Has anybody noticed that there has been a price increase in the equipments (none-legendary)? Thank god i had done most of my shopping.

Question for James, i noticed your new wep does not have life steal / life on hit, and i was wandering why? I am just wandering this cause i was thinking my next upgrade should be a wep with similar dmg, but either life steal or life per hit, but not sure which will work best, and could use some input on that.

Thanks

Yep, it doesn't have life steal or LoH. Ideally, your weapon will have life steal to help you top off and make "reflects damage" a joke. Luckily for me, my defense + 830 life regen/sec + templar heals are more than enough, so I don't need life steal with this build. It is more of a nice to have and would cost more than 100M for a weapon similar to mine (but with life steal).

If you are running a meteor build or anything with really bursty damage like that, you'll definitely want to get a life steal weapon or you will be combo-ing yourself to death against reflects damage.
Reply Quote
Hi~any one can comment on my gear? I am running in budget now but wanna know a effective way to boost dps
Reply Quote
Enjoying this build with a SKORN had to boost IAS though but still using it in Act 3 runs no need to wait for Archon coold downs.

Thanks James!
Reply Quote
There's a ring with +electrocute damage too.

I chose for this spec atm, it works wonders. http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UPOQSi!Ydf!ZacYZZ

Lightning hydra is amazing, currently crits for 30-40k! I have a lot of attackspeed though.

Currently working on upping my resists, finding cheap (lol) lacuni bracers with crit and upping my critdmg by a new weapon, better gem and on necklace.

I have +24% run speed so I'm no longer in need for slows. In act 3, appart from fast mobs I can outrun most stuff. I'm almost capable of facetanking for a few sec too. With illusionist, instant teleport + high hp/sec means I have good survivability.
Reply Quote
Been using FL since 104, and it's quite effective. Devastates mobs, and even good against elites next to each other. Just aim for the middle of the pack and let rip.
I switched blizzard to celestial orb, with 30% slow passive. Hits harder for elites and goblins. But blizzard is very effective for solo.

DavidSo: looks like we're in the same boat. Further upgrades costing LOTS. Maybe an amulet with some int and good crit dmg? Big bucks there though... Otherwise maybe some more life regen? Can never have too much regen... :)
Reply Quote
I like this build but my favirote is CM/SC but props to JAMES for creating this build i used it for a while when 1.0.4 first came out and its really good especially with Life steal and LoH and crit
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]