Diablo® III

Hyper WW Barb - 1.0.5 Build & Beginner Guide

09/01/2012 05:44 PMPosted by donk
And NOT using vanguard. :/

Vanguard is a great investment firm, why wouldn't you use them?
Reply Quote
Yep, movement speed is good for farming...

DPS is good up to a point. I will echo what others are saying here in that you actually farm faster with less DPS because you can keep WotB up, which gives 25% move speed, attack speed, and dodge. All of these make you much more durable. When is the last time you died with WotB up? It basically never happens. I think this guide is misleading for multiple reasons--

1) Items mentioned are incredibly expensive

2) 100K dps isn't really as good as you think, especially in solo games. In group play, you will be moving so fast that no one will keep up except another WW barb. With my 'mediocre' dps (75K with battle rage) I usually clear all trash and reduce elite hp to 50% before my other 2 teammates can get on screen. It actually makes the game much less fun for them and me.

3) You admit your barb still dies occasionally. That is a huge loss in farming speed and evidence that your build is flawed.

4) Full clears of Act 3 (i.e. not starting at 'second heart') are not efficient elites/XP per hour.

Suggestions for your guide --

Aim for 50% crit, 25% move speed. DPS about 100K with WotB:Thrive on Chaos up. Once you hit these breakpoints, start stacking more armor, resists, steal/LoH, hp and magic find. Yes, you can survive with 40K HP fine (my barb is actually right there, my usual offhand doesn't have vitality), but there is a pack every 3-4 games that can still 2 shot you. Certain goat sorcerors, moloks, or elite phasebeast + succubi combos will destroy you until you get your HP/resists/armor up. 95% of the elites will be a cakewalk - it's the other 5% that you need more defenses (not DPS! because it slows you down overall).

You want lower DPS because it allows you to spend down fury and regen fury on small trash packs between elites. It lets you keep WotB up for a long time. Jailer totally shuts down WW barbs when WotB is down. If you have enough defenses and LoH/steal you can still dps them down with bash.
Reply Quote
I would have to agree that when your DPS is lower you can maintain WOTB. There is a fine balance here tho - you dont want your dps so low that you leave the whites alive in your wake.
Reply Quote
what is the twist? attack speed? movement speed? aren't those desired stats for ww anyway? all i see is a BiS gearing guide /confused

No. Desired stats for WW did not normally include AS over other things. I did for this build. You have to sacrifice unless you want to spend 2000$.

Actually, the originator of this build, "Dino", did mention Attack speed was pretty important over other stats, and there was also discussion of movement speed.

He mentions his stat priorities were: LoH, Crit chance, Attack Speed, Resist all, Armor, Vitality, Crit Damage, Strength.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5967776983?page=1

Just pointing out this is still relatively old news, although yours is a relatively new emphasis on it.
Edited by Highlander#1740 on 9/4/2012 9:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Thats cool. I couldnt be the only one!
Reply Quote
09/04/2012 09:34 AMPosted by Highlander

No. Desired stats for WW did not normally include AS over other things. I did for this build. You have to sacrifice unless you want to spend 2000$.

Actually, the originator of this build, "Dino", did mention Attack speed was pretty important over other stats, and there was also discussion of movement speed.

He mentions his stat priorities were: LoH, Crit chance, Attack Speed, Resist all, Armor, Vitality, Crit Damage, Strength.

Just pointing out this is still relatively old news, although yours is a relatively new emphasis on it.

While dino popularized the build I do believe Nubtro was the true inventor.
Reply Quote
09/04/2012 08:53 AMPosted by GoldenAxe
I would have to agree that when your DPS is lower you can maintain WOTB. There is a fine balance here tho - you dont want your dps so low that you leave the whites alive in your wake.

Actually, no this is exactly what you want. You want to leave a couple monsters up as you sprint away. They may die as you go offscreen, but you want them up to refill your fury so you can keep sprint up 100% of the time as you travel between packs.

You don't want to kill all the whites, you want to kill 90% and leave a few stragglers to refill your fury as they pursue you and you move on to the next area.
Reply Quote
09/04/2012 09:57 AMPosted by Jim

Actually, no this is exactly what you want. You want to leave a couple monsters up as you sprint away. They may die as you go offscreen, but you want them up to refill your fury so you can keep sprint up 100% of the time as you travel between packs.

You don't want to kill all the whites, you want to kill 90% and leave a few stragglers to refill your fury as they pursue you and you move on to the next area.

100% this.

A lot of people don't really utilize their fury properly. Hell, I struggle keeping my fury metre filled in a full party simply because the combination of say, 50k DPS * 3, plus my own DPS means that mobs die in seconds.
Reply Quote
Not sure why people are flaming. This is extremely useful information for people who are trying to build a ww barb.
That said, once you have buffed 6k armor, 30k hp, 800 life on hit and %3 life steal or just 1200ish life on hit, 850 buffed resists and 65k unbuffed damage, you will realize that you actually can not die, no pack is hard for you.
You can go ahead and reach ideal stats that have been suggested but the build is so strong the only thing you will achieve is maybe save 5 mins per full act 3 clear , that will cost you an additional 250m+ though.
Reply Quote
Regarding the kill-everything goal due to 1.04 changes (as opposed to elites only), I'm not so sure it's that great from an item hunting efficiency standpoint.

I have been logging the set/legendaries I've found. I typically slice through big white mobs packs but try to keep a couple alive and following tornado path. Out of 35 set/legendaries found:

24 were from elites
6 were from white mobs
3 were from treasure goblins
2 were from chests
0 from quest-line bosses

White mobs aren't that great for legendaries, and it's obvious that more rares will come from elites. Taking the extra time to kill all white mobs seems like a waste to me, for both item hunting and exp gain.
Edited by Gigahurts#1817 on 9/4/2012 10:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
question: if you're sporting a 5 piece IK set, would that be enough to break that balance line between DPS vs fury so you don't have to worry about too much DPS?
Reply Quote
some useful info
Reply Quote

While dino popularized the build I do believe Nubtro was the true inventor.

You may be right, since I have no evidence to disprove it. If that is the case, Dino should credit Nubtro in some respect.
Reply Quote
On topic of maximum speed -- what happens when you have WotB up and 25% move speed from gear? What movements speed do you actually have? Is it 45% move speed or does WotB count as a passive boost, and thus subject to the 25% move speed cap?

I've never used move speed boots for any prolonged period, so I don't know.

EDIT: looked up my question. WotB and sprint stack on top of any move speed you have already. Gear based speed is capped at 25%.

So theoretically you can have 25% + 20% + 40% with WotB and sprint active.
Edited by Jim#1333 on 9/4/2012 11:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote

We are actually agreeing. I don't want them dead right away. Just dead. Lower your dps too much and they won't die in your wake is what I should have said.
Edited by GoldenAxe#1435 on 9/5/2012 6:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Yep, movement speed is good for farming...

DPS is good up to a point. I will echo what others are saying here in that you actually farm faster with less DPS because you can keep WotB up, which gives 25% move speed, attack speed, and dodge. All of these make you much more durable. When is the last time you died with WotB up? It basically never happens. I think this guide is misleading for multiple reasons--

1) Items mentioned are incredibly expensive

2) 100K dps isn't really as good as you think, especially in solo games. In group play, you will be moving so fast that no one will keep up except another WW barb. With my 'mediocre' dps (75K with battle rage) I usually clear all trash and reduce elite hp to 50% before my other 2 teammates can get on screen. It actually makes the game much less fun for them and me.

3) You admit your barb still dies occasionally. That is a huge loss in farming speed and evidence that your build is flawed.

4) Full clears of Act 3 (i.e. not starting at 'second heart') are not efficient elites/XP per hour.

Suggestions for your guide --

Aim for 50% crit, 25% move speed. DPS about 100K with WotB:Thrive on Chaos up. Once you hit these breakpoints, start stacking more armor, resists, steal/LoH, hp and magic find. Yes, you can survive with 40K HP fine (my barb is actually right there, my usual offhand doesn't have vitality), but there is a pack every 3-4 games that can still 2 shot you. Certain goat sorcerors, moloks, or elite phasebeast + succubi combos will destroy you until you get your HP/resists/armor up. 95% of the elites will be a cakewalk - it's the other 5% that you need more defenses (not DPS! because it slows you down overall).

You want lower DPS because it allows you to spend down fury and regen fury on small trash packs between elites. It lets you keep WotB up for a long time. Jailer totally shuts down WW barbs when WotB is down. If you have enough defenses and LoH/steal you can still dps them down with bash.

This is all Alkiezer is saying. But it aint the ONLY way. This is almost verbatim from his stream.
Reply Quote
Regarding the kill-everything goal due to 1.04 changes (as opposed to elites only), I'm not so sure it's that great from an item hunting efficiency standpoint.

I have been logging the set/legendaries I've found. I typically slice through big white mobs packs but try to keep a couple alive and following tornado path. Out of 35 set/legendaries found:

24 were from elites
6 were from white mobs
3 were from treasure goblins
2 were from chests
0 from quest-line bosses

White mobs aren't that great for legendaries, and it's obvious that more rares will come from elites. Taking the extra time to kill all white mobs seems like a waste to me, for both item hunting and exp gain.

Thnx for the stats. If I were only item hunting this would be true for me. I am however, XP farming as well. Hence the combination of things.
Reply Quote
09/04/2012 09:57 AMPosted by Jim

Great plan, letting mobs die offscreen so you can't see their drops.
White mobs can and do drop set/legendary items.
Reply Quote
09/05/2012 07:01 PMPosted by Darmival

Great plan, letting mobs die offscreen so you can't see their drops.
White mobs can and do drop set/legendary items.

This is true until Patch 1.0.5, when legendaries will ping the minimap.
Reply Quote
For those struggling a3 as a WW barb, check out my gear if you need help if your on a low budget like i am(all my gear cost a total of under 30M). By no means am i the best WW barb out there and nor am i godly, but i can take down elites in under 10 seconds with wrath (insanity) and have no problem tanking any monster (unless hit by a sucubuss curse which can sometimes get me :P)

If you don't have a really high budget, stacking AIS and such shouldn't be a concern. In my opinion they are a added luxury and are only optimised when you have the fundamentals of making the WW work. We all know how the double tornados work, but here are some things i specifically put on my gear to make it work how i wanted.

Superstition - Generates INSANE fury when under molten, desecrator(even if short period of time) let alone any other elemental attack; so if you can tank these elements well enough, u can just run through them and generate fury with ease.

Off-hand choice - Although my offhand is low DPS i looked for a few things.
-Cold Damage (to slow down ranger mobs or fast monsters)
-Life on Hit (idealy looked for 800+)
-Life Steal (makes a huge difference when you pass 50k damage with some life on hit)
-Socket obviously

Yes obvious improvements can be made to my builds (eg pl8, rings, helm and main hand for example) but my guy can clear a3 at a fast enough speed that it doesn't matter.

Also thanks GoldenAxe for the post, and will next try to stack more AIS and crit Dmg as i accumulate more gold.
Edited by WrongBlade#6970 on 9/6/2012 3:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]