Diablo® III

D3 vs Guild Wars 2 no comparison

I agree with the OP sadly. D3 without something (i don't know what that something is) is on it's last legs even for the hardcore players. I really do like this game and the game's mechanics are really top notch, but the game exhausts me. There just isn't much left to do in it. The drops stink (I seriously have gotten about 5 ivory tower shields), no randomized dungeons, NO PVP. <-- PVP, GW2 released it on opening day. A novel idea!

I just feel like this game's foundation is really good and there isn't any meat to it.

GW2 does so much right, I just wish Blizzard would do the same for this game. :(
Edited by Kadderly#1572 on 8/30/2012 11:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
The difference between GW2 and Diablo 3 is it is going to take longer than 3 months to beat or explore the whole world. I can't get over how huge and massive this world is. Every time I think I about done with an area another huge map displays with all new content and attachments. There is one port town that has all these worm hole devices that send you all over the place. Each ares has a set number of points of interest. quests, and vista. Along with those you get a level recommendation as to what level you should be at for that map or area. When You are going into an area or map it tells you exactly how much you have found or done. They even have achievements such as daily kills, monthly kills, how many different monsters you've killed alot like the D3 attachments but these are on a daily and monthly basis.

I estimate if I put in as many hours as I did with 5 classes in Diablo it will still take me an extra 6 months to clear the whole game with just one class and one profession.

Depending on how you start your character by race and profession the combinations are endless. Each story you design starts some where different.
I know this not just because they said so but a D3 friend bought GW2 I made sure we were on the same server and picked the same race, profession and answers to your story. That way we would start exactly at the same place and can level up together. I have a Norm\Warrior level 17 and a Char\Ranger level 1. I am interested to see where the game merge into the same, or even if they do each may have it own complete story line which would be awesome. Replay value added bonus. It would be fun just starting all new characters to see the beginning story line. The cinematic conversations are what was in the D3 previews but cut. GW2 has them. Getting the vista views is really cool you get to see true 3D animation at it's finest, yes they are a pain to get to. I was in the snowy mountain and stumbled into a level 72 area it was like going from normal to inferno in one shot. That probably one of the things I like most about GW2 the level recommendations not requiresments. If I wana take my level 17 char into a level 20 area and try and cut it for extra XP I can, do I die allot of course. It does also have the penalty for death were you gear gets damage and you have to go fix it. But getting gold and silver is so easy just pick up crap and sell it to vendor same with wep upgrades sel them to vendors.

I can not stress enough how massive the world is. They put a lot of work into this and I don't think it took 12 years to do, and no one is complaining about anything. Go figure game comes out and users are happy. Who'd of thought??

I am not bashing D3 at all I still love to play, but i have beaten inferno with my Monk so what next, Yes I have 4 other classes to do it but do I want to grind for another 3 months on each to get them gear to beat inferno. And HC can't play it do to lag got to level 6 and died in the crypts from lag. Was glade I had only put in maybe 45 mins. If I had gotten to 50 and that happened I would be pissed. So until I hear of the miracle patch that fixes all lag issues. I will play a couple hours a week still have a good group I like to do runs with.
It's funny wanted to watch a move and play at the same time guess which game I chose D3 because Act 1 run takes no thought what so ever. GW2 I need to pay attention as new things pop up all the time. Throwing snowballs at kids was allot of fun..
Reply Quote
View profile
The difference between GW2 and Diablo 3 is it is going to take longer than 3 months to beat or explore the whole world. I can't get over how huge and massive this world is. Every time I think I about done with an area another huge map displays with all new content and attachments. There is one port town that has all these worm hole devices that send you all over the place. Each ares has a set number of points of interest. quests, and vista. Along with those you get a level recommendation as to what level you should be at for that map or area. When You are going into an area or map it tells you exactly how much you have found or done. They even have achievements such as daily kills, monthly kills, how many different monsters you've killed alot like the D3 attachments but these are on a daily and monthly basis.

I estimate if I put in as many hours as I did with 5 classes in Diablo it will still take me an extra 6 months to clear the whole game with just one class and one profession.

Depending on how you start your character by race and profession the combinations are endless. Each story you design starts some where different.
I know this not just because they said so but a D3 friend bought GW2 I made sure we were on the same server and picked the same race, profession and answers to your story. That way we would start exactly at the same place and can level up together. I have a Norm\Warrior level 17 and a Char\Ranger level 1. I am interested to see where the game merge into the same, or even if they do each may have it own complete story line which would be awesome. Replay value added bonus. It would be fun just starting all new characters to see the beginning story line. The cinematic conversations are what was in the D3 previews but cut. GW2 has them. Getting the vista views is really cool you get to see true 3D animation at it's finest, yes they are a pain to get to. I was in the snowy mountain and stumbled into a level 72 area it was like going from normal to inferno in one shot. That probably one of the things I like most about GW2 the level recommendations not requiresments. If I wana take my level 17 char into a level 20 area and try and cut it for extra XP I can, do I die allot of course. It does also have the penalty for death were you gear gets damage and you have to go fix it. But getting gold and silver is so easy just pick up crap and sell it to vendor same with wep upgrades sel them to vendors.

I can not stress enough how massive the world is. They put a lot of work into this and I don't think it took 12 years to do, and no one is complaining about anything. Go figure game comes out and users are happy. Who'd of thought??

I am not bashing D3 at all I still love to play, but i have beaten inferno with my Monk so what next, Yes I have 4 other classes to do it but do I want to grind for another 3 months on each to get them gear to beat inferno. And HC can't play it do to lag got to level 6 and died in the crypts from lag. Was glade I had only put in maybe 45 mins. If I had gotten to 50 and that happened I would be pissed. So until I hear of the miracle patch that fixes all lag issues. I will play a couple hours a week still have a good group I like to do runs with.
It's funny wanted to watch a move and play at the same time guess which game I chose D3 because Act 1 run takes no thought what so ever. GW2 I need to pay attention as new things pop up all the time. Throwing snowballs at kids was allot of fun..

I understand why all the fan boys are pissed I watched the previews after I bought the game. None of what was shown is in the game. Where is it the barb climbs down a ladder, or jumps over an obstacle. The siegbreaker biting off the head of the barb. Even levels that were show were cut. Why? Also the game was supposed to be playable with just a mouse what happened to that. Being able to swap skills with the mouse wheel. What happened to that. I think people would have been a lot happier if what was shown was what that got. It wasn't.
Reply Quote
View profile
I agree with the OP sadly. D3 without something (i don't know what that something is) is on it's last legs even for the hardcore players. I really do like this game and the game's mechanics are really top notch, but the game exhausts me. There just isn't much left to do in it. The drops stink (I seriously have gotten about 5 ivory tower shields), no randomized dungeons, NO PVP. <-- PVP, GW2 released it on opening day. A novel idea!

I just feel like this game's foundation is really good and there isn't any meat to it.

GW2 does so much right, I just wish Blizzard would do the same for this game. :(

You are completely right where's the old lady saying "where's the beef" seriously Blizzard where's the meat\beef.

If Bliazzard sad every quarter they would release new content i.e. new levels\dungeons .etc
I think a lot of people would return.

AH is dead nothing sells at all only low level stuff for new people rolling new toons.
Reply Quote
GW2 by a mile
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Rogue
D3 vs GW2. The only thing you can really compare between the two is the level of enjoyment the player gets. A satisfaction for the time spent playing. Players see time well spent in GW2. In Diablo 3, after 3-4 hours of farming you have an RNG chance of ending with something or nothing at all which people are frowning upon.

In GW2, when your bored, you can WvW pvp, when your bored of that you can AvP when your bored of that you can do your storyline, when your bored of that you can do the world quests, when your bored of that you can do world events, when your bored of that you can do map bosses, when your bored of that you can gather and craft, when your bored of that you go do story dungeons and when your really bored you can interact with others.

In D3, when your bored, you can farm and when your bored of that you can do the storyline or you can do more farming and grinding for paragon levels. If D3 had its pvp, you could pvp and when it implements its endless dungeon you can do that too. However, until then, you only have so much you can do in this game.Some people enjoy just this style of play, don't get wrong and those are the people still farming and grinding paragon levels.

D3 and GW2 are two different genres but if both were extremely enjoyable games, people would be playing both still regardless of what genre they are.
Reply Quote
I agree there is no comparison.

Because they are two completely different game genres.
Reply Quote
View profile
08/30/2012 10:52 PMPosted by Batousai
The longer you play a game, the harder it becomes to find good loot. Corollarily, the longer a game has been in existence, the better the gear an average player has, therefore the harder it becomes to find loot that is considered "good".

Sounds like defense mode for D3's drops being so terrible, while most of what you're saying is true, and although GW2 and Diablo 3 are very different games, you feel rewarded much more in GW2 than you do in Diablo 3.

08/30/2012 10:52 PMPosted by Batousai
I wonder when D3 QQ'ers will realize this mathematical inevitability

Gamers that just want to have fun can give a @@@@ about your math, they just wanted D3 to be a fun rewarding experience, currently a lot of players feel it's not.
Reply Quote
GW2 forces you to play with others... something I can't abide. It's not even on my "vague interest list".
Reply Quote
View profile
08/30/2012 11:18 PMPosted by Cybralisk
Also if you think D3's gear is lackluster go play some GW2, the gear sucks bigtime.

Somewhat ambiguous, what do you mean it sucks in GW2? There are sigil upgrade slots that do many different things and offer 1 and 2 set bonuses you can add in every piece of armor, also each piece can take a jewel upgrade that can add anything from a magic find, to increasing any of the character statistics like Precision, Power or hitpoints, also sigils can add functionality to any piece of armor.

I'm guessing you're another basher that's heard from his bestfriend's sister's Uncle that itemization is terrible in GW2 and posting someone elses' opinion without actually formulating your own.
Reply Quote
You can't compare GW 2 to Diablo...it's comparing steak to broccoli.

However, you could compare GW 2 to WoW or any other MMO...but that's also useless. At the end of the day, every MMO is the same: Obtain short term reward for minimal effort in the beginning, scale up the time invested to short term gain, and repeat the cycle. There's no end to the cycle, and people keep pressing the lever until they finally get sick of it and quit or until they're permanently hooked.
Reply Quote
Kripparian just got banned in GW2 by crafting and vendoring:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxb-anRWHrA&list=UUeBMccz-PDZf6OB4aV6a3eA&index=1&feature=plcp

Do you really want to subject yourself to this kind of N a z i environment in a game? ArenaNet turns out to be way worse than Blizz.

Kripp got banned for advertising the exploit to 5000 people, not that he was using it.

The sad part is Kripp knowingly abuses an exploit, advertises it to 5000+ people, gets a 72 hour ban. A guildmate of mine (and good friend in real life) purchased 4 of the Norn Karma weapons for the Mystic Forge, and got perma banned. He even deleted the item as soon as he heard that mass bans were going out.

That said, ArenaNet is reversing all perma bans to 72 hour bans if you file an appeal, because they realized they went a little far.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]