Diablo® III

Rend Damage

I took a little time and figured out how Rend damage is calculated because I was curious. It may be how other skills are calculated as well, but Rend is the only damage number that doesnt seem to change so maybe not. Anyway...

Rend damage is based on main hand weapon damage. If you are dual wielding, your offhand weapon damage doesnt factor in. The formula is pretty simple and straight forward:

((Min Wep Dmg + Max Wep Dmg) / 2) * (1 + (Str/100)) * 7 (because Rend does 700% damage)

Also of note, items with +damage are added into the Min Wep Dmg and Max Wep Dmg. Since Rend damage is based on main hand weapon damage only, two handed weapons will do significantly more Rend damage.

So if you want to increase Rend damage go for the highest Min/Max weapon damage, strength, and +damage on rings/amulet.
Reply Quote
does this include the elemental damages on weapons? (+xxx-xxx poison dmg etc)
Reply Quote
I've noticed that if u crit with rend the ticks will all crit for that mob hit. Soooo I'm not sure. With my gear and spec i top out at 83kdps with 3 stacks of bash, with wotb I'm at 190k. Here are my questions

Does attackspeed help rend at all.
Does bash with the stacking damage to skills help rend at all
Does wotb help rend at all? If not what skills boost rend.
What 2h should be used for the passive, I use a sword for the 15% damage increase.

Please look at my gear and spec and if you have suggestions let me know in order to increase rend damage. Currently white mobs take 1-3 rends ( allowing for each rend to apply and wear off) so 15s. Bash is criting for 150k-350k .

Any help would be appreciated in order to make rend amazing. If its stack str and damge items and drop crit Ias and crit damge I'll do it.
Reply Quote
09/01/2012 07:03 PMPosted by Tekniques
does this include the elemental damages on weapons? (+xxx-xxx poison dmg etc)

The Min/Max damage listed on a weapon includes any +min/max damage, +elemental damage, and +% damage on the weapon itself.

Does attackspeed help rend at all.
Does bash with the stacking damage to skills help rend at all
Does wotb help rend at all? If not what skills boost rend.
What 2h should be used for the passive, I use a sword for the 15% damage increase.

Attack speed is not figured into the damage calculation at all. Something to note, however, is that slow weapons have higher min/max damage to keep them in the same dps range as faster weapons.

All skill based damage increase affects Rend including Bash, Frenzy, and WoTB.

The odd and somewhat surprising thing is that the Weapons Master 15% passive does not affect Rend at all.

I would use a 2h Mace/Axe to get the extra crit chance. Rend will crit and put out some really nice damage. Crits are determined when the ability is used, not on individual ticks. Crits are also determined individually for all mobs hit, so it is possible to hit 4 enemies with Rend and have it crit on 2 and the other 2 take normal damage.

As a side note, Rend ticks every half second over 5 seconds, so if you want to know how much total damage your Rend is doing, just check the tick and multiply by 10.

Please look at my gear and spec and if you have suggestions let me know in order to increase rend damage. Currently white mobs take 1-3 rends ( allowing for each rend to apply and wear off) so 15s. Bash is criting for 150k-350k .

Any help would be appreciated in order to make rend amazing. If its stack str and damge items and drop crit Ias and crit damge I'll do it.

You can definitely use Rend to obliterate mobs en masse, and your skill set looks good to accomplish that task. If you really want to pump out as much Rend damage as possible I would suggest getting a 2h Axe/Mace with high str and high crit damage. I would also try to find one with life steal so that you could practically never die with the amount of life being returned in conjuntion with Blood Lust. Then get +dmg, str, crit chance rings and amulet. Every 2 added damage = 147 extra Rend damage, so if you find a ring with +30-50 damage, that is an extra ~6000 damage. Then switch out your gloves and helmet for even more crit chance.

If you can get a 1200 damage average (which shouldnt be too hard) and 2000 strength, then your normal Rend will be 176400 or 17640 per tick. Then if you can get 50% crit chance and 300% crit damage, half the time that will be 705600 or 70560 per tick, and that isnt including extra damage from Bash or Battle Rage or WoTB.

If you get life steal on your weapon and belt for even 7% total, combine that with 9% from Blood Lust, and using the damage figures from before, a non-crit Rend will be returning 564 life per enemy per tick...
Edited by Collide#1274 on 9/1/2012 10:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Ok thanks I was thinking of those changes. I was reading eu forums earlier and I read that most prefer frenzy over bash since bash has a slow animation and frenzy is said to work better. Though inhave yet to test that with a 2h.

So in short....
Axe/mace 2h with crit damage, life steal, str and high min max damage
Str crit% and crit damage on items.

Anything else you can think of?
Reply Quote
Here is the eu forum on rend. It's worth reading through.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5200360152?page=1
Reply Quote
Also why are you dual wielding?
Reply Quote
With what we are talking about can rend be used as a primary source of dps? Or should we ise it as a dot and add some stats to boost up another skill?
Reply Quote
ok i ran a few a3 run when i got home and found with the changes you seein my profile minus a new MH that its a lot better and these findings are correct.

even thoughu wont see a dps increase on the stats window u will in game. rendis melting faster than before and with some more gold i wil add crit damage to the items without it. im currently looking for a 1400 dps 2hand axe/mace with 200 str. crit damage open socket and 5% life steal. once i get that my crit % wil be aroudn 60% with 300 crit damage. WTB skorn.

with the right items and weapon the rend build is imo better than the WW build. though...

with bash i am able to generate more fury faster but my dps is less once im at full fury
i suggest the frenzy with maniac. u will own
Reply Quote
09/01/2012 11:24 PMPosted by rezarblades
Here is the eu forum on rend. It's worth reading through.

I read the EU post, and it had some inaccuracies. The damage is just main hand only not an average dps when dual wielding. This is easily verifiable by equiping a white off hand and seeing that the damage doesnt change. It also stated that Rend does not reapply, but instead it queues which is incorrect. This is also easily verifiable by performing a non-crit Rend and continuing to Rend. With a high enough crit chance you will perform a crit Rend and the damage will change after just a couple of ticks. If it was queued as it was stated then the damage could not change until the first 10 non-crit ticks completed.

09/01/2012 11:32 PMPosted by rezarblades
Also why are you dual wielding?

I have been dual wielding since 1.0.3 came out. I didnt like how slow 2 handers are, but this was before the changes to Rend. However, after going through this thread, I have started looking for a nice 2 hander.

09/01/2012 11:36 PMPosted by rezarblades
With what we are talking about can rend be used as a primary source of dps? Or should we ise it as a dot and add some stats to boost up another skill?

Rend can definitely be used as a Primary source of DPS considering the amount of damage that it can potentially do and the fact that it is AoE. Bash or Frenzy can be used as a fury generator and damage increase, and to help take down single targets.

ok i ran a few a3 run when i got home and found with the changes you seein my profile minus a new MH that its a lot better and these findings are correct.

even thoughu wont see a dps increase on the stats window u will in game.

I like the gear changes you have made. You will have over 40% crit chance with an axe/mace which is nice. You already have 1900 Str without a weapon, so that is great, and you managed to get over 200 extra damage from your jewelry. All top notch.

The damage number in your profile will look a bit off, but only because you had a lot of attack speed items which increased your damage number, but didnt increase Rend damage. I have no doubt that with the right weapon you will be able to walk through any area in the game.
Reply Quote
i picked up the current 2h and im not a fan of it without ias. whenu got for your i suggest finding one with ias. it makes it huge diff. while ias doesnt work with rend. it does with frezy and bash. wothwile to get at least 1.0 aps.
Reply Quote
ok so i played around with 2 handers. u need 1.10 aps on a 2hander or else u wont get enough fury and u will die. i suggest a 2h axe base aps 1.0 with 10 ias. for 1.10. then tack on str crit and life steal.

also with slower aps rend will not work at times. aps DOES effect animation. multiple times i have tried to rend and am unable to due to to many mobs trying to hit me ( dodge) or rend not going off because of frenzy being a faster animation.
Reply Quote
Interesting. I hadnt thought about the animation. I was looking at 2h hammers which have like .95 aps because it means their damage numbers are higher. I will definitely keep that in mind as I shop around.
Reply Quote
i'm trying to shop around for a good 2h now too to see if i can up my damage. the thing about 2h was that it always felt too slow. so i agree, IAS would defs help. (i've messed aroudn with a few 2h from drops and they just didn't feel right cause they were too slow.

rend is definitely a strong skill and appreciate all the analysis! gives a better idea of what you're doing and how to use it to its full potential
Reply Quote
Yah, my plan based on my gear is to add as much Ias while using a 2h axe with life steal, Ias, crit and str. Min 1400dps. The 1200 dps one I have ATM is nice but the damage is to low for a Rend build. 1300 dps skorn would probily be best in slot.

Try to get min 40% crit with the weapon master perk. And stack Ias. While Ias does not work with Rends dps , it does increase the animation and does allow for you to use bash faster. After hours of testing It seems bash with the Ias boost and punish rune works with the Rend 2h build better than frenzy. This is because it only takes 3 hits fo max dps and it's the same speed as using frenzy 3 times. Plus it hits harder with more fury return.

What I do is warcry, battle cry, leap to the middle of a pack and rend then build 3 bash and rend again. After that if it isn't dead it's prob an elite and I use wotb and just destroy them.

Another test I tried is using a grandfather 1300 dps with a socket. If the weapon master 15% bug is a true bug it might be a decent option to test once it's fixed.

Even with a powerful slow rend, having ais for bash is an amazing filler. And will do more dps over all than having higher rend dps but slower bash.

I'll test it out more but ideally I'm thinking min u want 40% crit and 250 crit damage for this build. Follow that with str, ar and put vit, life% and armor on what u can. As for life steal i find 5% is fine for this build meaning if u have a life steal belt of 2.50 u can get a 2h with 2.50 and be fine. It's easier to find those weapons over ones with 5.00

Hope this helps. I'll tinker some more and see what i get. Also it's worth mentioning that I use to be a ww barb. I find this build tanks better, does more dps and works better with single elites or scattered mobs better than ww. Enjoy
Reply Quote
About Ias. If you get it on gloves, weapon, 2/3 pieces of jewelry u should be fine. If u can go legendary I suggest mempo of twilight and Luciani prowlers with Ias and crit as a solid option as well. Once I find a solid min Ias number I'll let u know.
Reply Quote
I advise if your going for damage with rend go for the slowest hardest hitting weapon you can. And worry less about attack speed instead focus on crit chance/crit damage + damage weapon modifiers. the moment I made that decision I have steadily seen my damage increase dramatically. AT this moment I am at 92k unbuffed... once I Farm some more I will be making some changes. I would love to get a skorn and see what I could do with it. But the current cost on the gold money is prohibitive. I am pretty sure I could hit 125k with a good one easy.
Reply Quote
I agree with that but currently if it's to slow the animation won't work at times and you wo t get a rend off or you won have fury. I'm not saying focus on Ias . But it is needed from my experience. Rend will kill but will not generate fury. A slow .90 2hander will do more rend dps but it sooooo slow that u have more "oh !@#$!!" moments due to lack of fury.

Maybe it's play style but I'm going to add offensive stats like this.
Str, crit %, Ias, crit damage.when looking for upgrades.

Defensive prob
AR, vit, armor, life%, life steal, dex

But that's just me from my findings. Are u having any fury problems with no Ias? Or animation problems where tend doesnt hit mobs? If not what's your spell order?
Reply Quote
Change that. Offensive

Str, damage affix, crit %, Ias, crit damage.
Reply Quote
Sorry for the numerous post. On iPhone so I can't edit.

Does anyone have the gear to test out movement speed. I want to know if it will...

1) allow u to apply tend faster to targets out of range of the first rend
2) since rend is a stop and use skill and takes time if movement will speed up the down time between stop and rend.

Thanks
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]