Diablo® III

D3, TL2, BL2, PoE = Win for everyone, right?

14 Undead Warlock
Seriously, I see all the threads bashing these games on this forum,band I have to stop and ask WHY? It seems like everyone pulls out their "idiot sticks" and does everything they can to bash anyone who considers playing anything other than a Blizzard title.

Have we really become so polarized in the gaming world that we cannot enjoy multiple titles at the same time? I personally support all of the following games...for the simple reason that ARPGs are very hard to make. They really are complex from a design standpoint, and only the best of the best should attempt to make one, which is why we rarely see them.

But NOW we are in the golden age of the genre, with at least four titles this year alone. We should be jumping for joy at getting new adventures to enjoy, instead of ripping them all down because of blind-fanboyism.

D3 Pros - carefully crafted experience for the players, deep itemization systems and excellent art design.
D3 Cons - Always online, less randomization, RMAH woes, removed most RPG elements

TL2 Pros - offline play, modding (Steam workshop confirmed!), $20 for a AAA title, created by original Diablo 1&2 designers, and the itemization is spectacular (played the beta...truly awesome gameplay, folks), pets, fishing
TL2 Cons - cartoony, like WoW, unlikely to have a ton a post-release content added

BL2 Pros - Guns guns guns, excellent art style, FPS mayhem
BL2 Cons - Less story-driven, not as compelling as a fantasy world, high price point

PoE Pros - slick skill system design, strong emphasis on individuality, great indie-development team, dark gothic feel, free to play
PoE Cons - Storyline is secondary, passive skill system is overly convoluted, far more grinding required than others in the market.

The whole point of this post is to get people to stop drawing lines in the sand when it comes to those types of games. Each has its pluses and minuses. Each has a specific element to them that makes them stand out from the competition, and all are valid options for your ARPG fix.

Now that I have played Diablo 3 to death, I am ready for a new adventure, and I will be playing all of these upcoming games.

If you like the genre, stop being jerks for the sake of being jerks, and support them ALL!
Edited by Ingmartin#1646 on 9/3/2012 7:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Troll Priest
Impossible.

It's impossible to play more than one game of a genre. You have to pick one game (whichever one is the most popular in internet forums, obviously), become a gigantic fanboy of it, and then trash any other game that comes out after/before/during its release.
Reply Quote
I'm gonna be playing ALL of these games in my free time (maybe except Borderlands 2, I'll be picking that up later). I've been playing Torchlight, Borderlands, and Path of Exile after Diablo 3 opened my eyes to other ARPG's. Kudos to Blizzard for making me want to play other games as well.
Reply Quote
I mentioned WoW and people attacked me and called it a game for little girls and was all rawr dinosar about GW2 being the best. I personally play alot of games.
Reply Quote
14 Undead Warlock
Impossible.

It's impossible to play more than one game of a genre. You have to pick one game (whichever one is the most popular in internet forums, obviously), become a gigantic fanboy of it, and then trash any other game that comes out after/before/during its release.

Thank god for sarcasm!
Reply Quote
14 Undead Warlock
There is a small bit of truth to both sides.

You actually need to pick one game if you ever hope to actually enjoy it, simply because of the economy and player wealth in a loot driven game. These arent shooters, dabbling in all of them leaves your character or resources in the dust. Picking one grinding game is usually the best course of action for most gamers.

Thats not to say picking it up to play out the story and see whats up is wrong, but in the long run you have to pick one.

However that doesnt mean the games are bad like most gamers think. Just because someone picks d3 instead of poe, or vice versa, doesnt mean that either game is trash(like fanboys think).

I disagree that you have to pick up just one. Ok, so perhaps one or the other will be more in-line with what a player considers their "style" and that's totally cool. This is what makes the ARPG genre so versitle and enticing. Since I am a huge Runic Games fan, I plan on playing Torchlight 2 more than the other two.

I have been in the beta for PoE, but it was a while ago. I know much has changed since then and I will be heading back there eventually. But they are still in development stages, so I think PoE is best left until the full release, personally.

Since Torchlight 2 and Borderlands 2 both come out at the same time, more or less...Torchlight 2 will get my attention first. I don't necessarily advocate playing ALL these games at the same time. But I do advocate praising ANY developer that decides to make a game in this genre. Some will be better than others, from a personal perspective.

Several aspects of Diablo 3 are not very well-done. The story...is simply atrocious, and the RMAH has caused more problems than not. But the gameplay is slicker than runny cat poo on a hot tin roof, and they did a beautiful job rendering the environments.

Torchlight 2...well, have been excited to play this one for a long time! If you can get past the more colorful palette choices and lower resolution for the visuals, then you won't find a game more entertaining than this one. I have a deep respect for the Schaefer Brothers and Travis Baldree as developers.
Reply Quote
14 Undead Warlock
Ah, ok...I see what you meant here.

I somewhat agree that being a top player of a game requires dedication and lots of time. Not really to the degree of an MMO, but it does approach that level of longevity for many players.

I have poured an ungodly amount of time into D3 since its launch, and while I am not the most OP, I farm Act 3/4 perfectly fine. Still haven't taken the time to beat Diablo in Inferno yet...saving that for a rainy day. Lol
Reply Quote
Seriously, I see all the threads bashing these games on this forum,band I have to stop and ask WHY? It seems like everyone pulls out their "idiot sticks" and does everything they can to bash anyone who considers playing anything other than a Blizzard title.

Have we really become so polarized in the gaming world that we cannot enjoy multiple titles at the same time? I personally support all of the following games...for the simple reason that ARPGs are very hard to make. They really are complex from a design standpoint, and only the best of the best should attempt to make one, which is why we rarely see them.

But NOW we are in the golden age of the genre, with at least four titles this year alone. We should be jumping for joy at getting new adventures to enjoy, instead of ripping them all down because of blind-fanboyism.

D3 Pros - carefully crafted experience for the players, deep itemization systems and excellent art design.
D3 Cons - Always online, less randomization, RMAH woes, removed most RPG elements

TL2 Pros - offline play, modding (Steam workshop confirmed!), $20 for a AAA title, created by original Diablo 1&2 designers, and the itemization is spectacular (played the beta...truly awesome gameplay, folks), pets, fishing
TL2 Cons - cartoony, like WoW, unlikely to have a ton a post-release content added

BL2 Cons - Less story-driven, not as compelling as a fantasy world, high price point

PoE Pros - slick skill system design, strong emphasis on individuality, great indie-development team, dark gothic feel, free to play
PoE Cons - Storyline is secondary, passive skill system is overly convoluted, far more grinding required than others in the market.

The whole point of this post is to get people to stop drawing lines in the sand when it comes to those types of games. Each has its pluses and minuses. Each has a specific element to them that makes them stand out from the competition, and all are valid options for your ARPG fix.

Now that I have played Diablo 3 to death, I am ready for a new adventure, and I will be playing all of these upcoming games.

If you like the genre, stop being jerks for the sake of being jerks, and support them ALL!

Agree.. These games were made by people.. with hard work and sweat..
Reply Quote
The thing is.. I really hate the fact that people compare D3 to D2... honestly.. D2's time has passed.. it's one of those games that you can pop in occasionally, get tired and play again.. Its done its work.. Now we have D3.. that brings more.. and in this day in age.. its easier to get content faster.. push push out updates to content faster.. and I have no doubt in my mind that all those games OP has stated would be refined and refined to a point its perfect.. to me I have already have a sense of fulfillment that the money I plopped down is worth it.. I made that decision.. I made the choice to plop down my money to play these games.. and I guess people should be more aware of how they decide on what they spend their money on I guess...

When D3 came out.. I wasn't at all excited... but looking from afar... then I watched gameplay videos of the game.. then i said "hey, not bad...", got me thinking that I guess I want an ARPG in my life..

So when I saw that D3 had a starter edition.. I tried it out.. and haven't been disappointed since..

My point is.. again I made the choice and the decision to spend my money.. give my time to the game.. I know people did too... but you know what.. If I get the feeling that I don't want to play this game.. may it be tomorrow.. next week.. or a few minutes later.. I know that I'm to blame for that.. since it was my choice to play the game..

I just hope I'm not the only one that has this sentiment.
Reply Quote
Grim Dawn > All of those.
Reply Quote
I enjoy Path of Exile, however, I could do without skill gemstones. I just don't care for that aspect.

I started playing Inquisitor recently. What a throwback. Probably a bit too ancient for its own good, but if you enjoy story-driven "action" RPG's that harken back to the early 90's, this one's for you. I find the game to be very difficult, so the intrigue is most certainly there. No hand-holding at all. You're thrusted into the world with just your wits to help you along. Solving mysteries and holding bad guys and girls accountable for their actions can be done cleanly or through the use of torture devices straight out of the dark ages.

D3 keeps my focus because the gameplay is paced correctly, I'm driving to complete achievements and I like the gear drops. Can't stand the RMAH, but to each his own.

I still play Sacred 2 on the XBox 360 as it's an underrated gem. A bit buggy and overwhelming in terms of how anti-linear it is, but I think it's great.

Grim Dawn looks promising. So does Lineage and even R.A.W.

---

In other words, when I have time to play something, I'd rather have viable options rather than pigeonhole myself into saying "I must find a game that is better than everything else and only focus on that." Sadly, I think most criticisms of D3 are born from this ideology in some shape or form.

Perfection, even in gaming, is a non-attainable ideal. Stop thinking you can achieve it because it just doesn't exist. Play what you want, when you want and stop trying to compare and contrast yourself mad. :)
Reply Quote
Rather than make a new thread I thought it might interest some to know that Brother Laz, the maker of the D2 mod Median XL, was tasked with creating a few of the unique items for PoE and hopefully the dev team will take a few pointers in the items they design. I'd say that this is a huge plus for PoE because Brother Laz's item design is second to none.
Reply Quote
I liked/like d3 but im bored of it
I have been trying out others but PoE is the standout one for me loving it.
d3 has the polish
PoE has the meat

I think D3 is slowly moving in a better direction so maybe in another few months i might come back but yeah Borderlands 2 is almost out and Tl2 is almost out so I take that back it will be a long while before i come back to d3
Reply Quote
View profile
I don't get what's so awesome about Median XL. Tried once, and it felt like I was playing Serious Sam on Mental difficulty; I got assaulted by poisonous carrion bats on crack right after exiting the Rogue encampment, and there was not a damn thing I could do to fight them off.

I mean, D3's Inferno at least has the excuse of being the ultimate difficulty level but this?
Reply Quote

Diablo 3 doesn't have deep itemization elements. The item system is bland and boring compared to Diablo 2.
Reply Quote
View profile
Diablo II needed an expansion pack and several patches to get those "deep itemization elements".
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]