Diablo® III

[Mac] Low Performance Data Collection

(Locked)

Ok so guys I’ve found something for the rMBP.
First sorry for my english, I’m from france and I post here because there is no mac forums in the EU bnet.

So before 1.0.4 I was running fine @ 40fps. after the patch everything was OK until I ran Onyx to cleanup my mac. After that the game was running @10-15 fps. I could feel lags as soon as I start the game.
I tried everything even patch to 1.8.2 beta (10.8.2 (12C53) Kernel Version: Darwin 12.2.0) + reset NVRAM + SMC…

Nothing worked.

Then I plugged my rMBP to an external display to check the framerate and I noticed that the game was running @ 80+ fps all settings high @ 1280!

I unplugged the display and started the game, had to change the settings to get 1920 back and then: 40 FPS !!!!

Here are some screenshots:
http://cl.ly/image/3P033c3e2C45
http://cl.ly/image/272I1i1r3N0h
http://cl.ly/image/3y320Y422w18

When I run Onyx I check everything in the Automation panel, I think some MacOS caches are involved here because everytime I run Onyx the problem appears.
I have to plug the external display, change some settings, quit, unplug it, relaunch the game, and do everything again if the problem persist. Ultimatly, it will resolve the issue.

I hope it helps.

Cheers from south of France ;)

It has been documented by a number of people that FPS increases/stabilizes dramatically when a secondary display is hooked up to a mac. The way this behave leads me to believe that there is a problem with the way the game is talking with the graphics card drivers. As we have seen this on a number of different models and cards, that seems to exclude a fault with the drivers. Running multiple tests with other games, both native and non-native (wrapped using wine or cider), I cannot seem to reproduce the behavior with the sole exception of Starcraft 2. This leads me to suspect that there is something going on with graphics library that both of these games uses. I would imagine that Blizzard, like Valve and many other companies that do both mac and windows versions of their games uses a library wrapper. This way they can write code once and compile it to be referencing DirectX or OpenGL respectively.

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/541085431
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/224842575?page=9#173

Two posts that I made back in 2010 after the release of Starcraft 2. Same frame-rate issue, 10.6.5 patch made things not as bad, but the bouncing still exists to this day.

This isn't stuttering, it is cyclic and will continue to be that way over time during the entirety of play. The fact that changing the graphics configuration (eg having a second online and active monitor) removes the issue significantly makes me believe there is something wrong with the game's rendering system.

That said, I am not a graphics programmer, I don't write drivers or even work with low level system calls. However I can say that I have never seen anything like this happen outside of Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2. To me this sends up a flag saying that there might be a relation here to what these two games have in common.

Data collection stats:
I have personally seen this happen on every version between 10.6.5-10.8.1.

I only own macs with NVIDIA chipsets in them, so I can only speak for that 9600M GT+9400M, 9400M, 320M

Type of external/secondary display doesn't seem to matter so long as it is there. Though I have only tested this with physical displays. I think that using hacky driver software like AirDisplay wouldn't produce meaningful results.

The game doesn't have to be played on the additional display, the display just has to be hooked up and registered as online to the mac.

Cycles happen every few seconds, and the interval that they have is consistent. Any variation in the cycle is only a result what would be normal drop in fps due to onscreen action.

Temperature doesn't seem to affect the cycles at all. As mentioned above, plugging in a display fixes the problem, temperature doesn't change before or after that. That being said, I have tested this in an environment significantly cooler than where I normally play and that didn't change the cycles.

fresh installs, cleaned caches, perfect file permissions and where it is being stored from have no impact. Same cycles when on a HDD as an SSD.
I will rephrase my post because It’s maybe unclear:

Before 1.04 = 40 fps @ 1920
After 1.04 = 40 fps @ 1920
Onyx automation = 10 FPS @ 1920
Game on external display = 80 fps @ 1280 (native resolution of the display, nothing on the built in display)
unplug the external display = back to 40 FPS @ 1280
Software:

System Software Overview:

System Version: OS X 10.8.2 (12C54)
Kernel Version: Darwin 12.2.0
Time since boot: 2:33

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro10,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP101.00EE.B02
SMC Version (system): 2.3f32

Graphics/Displays:

Intel HD Graphics 4000:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 4000
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0166
Revision ID: 0x0009
gMux Version: 3.2.19 [3.2.8]

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0fd5
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3688
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 2880 X 1800
Retina: Yes
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
Connection Type: DisplayPort

Other:

Input Source ID: com.apple.keylayout.British
Keyboard Layout: ISO

How long after gameplay does the performance issues start?

immediately - even the background to the log in screen is laggy

What are your exact symptoms when the performance issues start? (does the game stutter, is it overall low performance, does the game completely stop rendering for a few seconds and then start again, etc)

The game used to be silky smooth at a little less than max resolution but after 1.0.4 the frame rate has dropped down to 10-15fps from the moment you start it up. This doesn't appear to improve over time.

What FPS in-game do you see when these performance issues happen? (Press Control or Command-R to see in-game FPS)

10-15fps

What display mode are you playing in? (Windowed, Windowed-Fullscreen, Fullscreen)

Fullscreen

What resolution(s) does this happen in? (1920x1080, 800x600 etc)

960x600 = 42fps
1360x850 = 25fps
1660x1040 = 19fps
2350x1470 = 11fps
2880x1800 = 7fps

If you have an app that measures the Mac's temperature, like iStat Pro or SMC FanControl, what temps are you seeing?

I don't have that, but it doesn't feel crazily hot when I frist get into the game so I doubt the processor is being throttled for temperature control.

Please do something about this ASAP as the game is unplayable as it stands!

I'm wondering if for some reason it's started switching over to the Intel 4000 card or something...?
Edited by Hyperlight#2968 on 9/23/2012 1:06 PM PDT
Software:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Kernel Version: Darwin 10.8.0
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No
Time since boot: 10:23

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 5 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM71.007A.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.20f4

Graphics/Displays:

ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro:

Chipset Model: ATI,RadeonHD2600
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x9583
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-B2250F-212
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.212
Displays:
iMac:
Resolution: 1680 x 1050
Display Connector:

Other:

Input Source ID: com.apple.keylayout.US
Keyboard Layout: ANSI

First of all, it should be noted that I had low performance back when the game launched. Then came the 1.0.2 patch which included some Mac performance fixes, and indeed, all my framerate issues were a thing of the past. Then came 1.0.4, and I'm back to low performance. So I'm 100% certain this is not a hardware issue or an OS issue, but a an issue with the game itself.

How long after gameplay does the performance issues start? Immediately.

What are your exact symptoms when the performance issues start? The game has a low framerate, no matter what graphics settings I choose. There's also slight stuttering when I first enter the game, but after a few minutes it gets better.

What FPS in-game do you see when these performance issues happen? 15-20 FPS. In more dense areas, the game becomes pretty much unplayable.

What display mode are you playing in? Fullscreen. Framerate seems to double when playing in windowed mode (not Windowed-Fullscreen), even if set in the same resolution as fullscreen.

What resolution(s) does this happen in? 1680x1050

D3Prefs.txt file:
http://pastebin.com/hZP7vM2F
Edited by yoshinatsu#2260 on 9/24/2012 9:41 PM PDT
FYI, I just managed to solve the performance issues on my macbook by doing an SMC reset.
Software:

Time since boot: 14 minutes

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz
Memory: 8 GB

Graphics/Displays:

Intel HD Graphics 4000:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M:

Displays:
Color LCD:

Other:

Please fix it. i cant play DIII anymore >"<
Software:

Time since boot: 13:42

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Total Number of Cores: 2
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MBP61.0057.B0F
SMC Version (system): 1.58f16
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Graphics/Displays:

Intel HD Graphics:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics
VRAM (Total): 288 MB
Device ID: 0x0046
Revision ID: 0x0018
gMux Version: 1.9.21

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Device ID: 0x0a29
ROM Revision: 3560
gMux Version: 1.9.21
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1440 x 900

Other:

========================================================

Performance issues are constant and don't start/finish ever. That being said, I'll see extremely low fps in particular circumstances. Elite packs, full game of players, spells and such, all combine to drop my fps to 5, of course unplayable. I now play in the lowest resolution available, which seems to have helped A LITTLE, but not totally. Temperatures will go up to 90F according to smcFanControl.

Prefs: http://pastebin.com/e9FgS9t7
Support Forum Agent
Thanks for the continued reports, I'll send this up to the team for their review. Have y'all had a chance to check out the Diablo III 1.0.5 PTR and see if has any sort of improvements?
Software:

Time since boot: 3 days 6:44

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Identifier: iMac10,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: IM101.00CC.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.52f9

Graphics/Displays:

NVIDIA GeForce 9400:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400
Bus: PCI
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Device ID: 0x0869
Revision ID: 0x00b1
ROM Revision: 3454
Displays:
iMac:
Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Other:

How long after gameplay does the performance issues start?
- immediately

What are your exact symptoms when the performance issues start?
- stuttering FPS

What FPS in-game do you see when these performance issues happen?
-

What display mode are you playing in?
-fullscreen

What resolution(s) does this happen in?
-1920 x 1080 (lowest selectable)

D3Prefs: http://pastebin.com/NjHAQtxq
Post patch I am seeing high framerate fluctuations when dealing with physics and explosions.

Reference of info for my computer: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6489939670?page=1#14
Edited by DirkGently#1944 on 10/16/2012 5:09 PM PDT
Support Forum Agent
Thanks DirkGently. Can you tell me an example framerate fluctuation what you're seeing now?
Edited by Machkhan on 10/16/2012 5:13 PM PDT
I'll correct myself. I _thought_ it was related to explosions and physics, but I was getting the same frame drops in other areas as well. The game will be playing at 30-50 fps as it normally is, then it will tank down to zero for a second or so then return back to normal. There isn't a cyclic pattern with this as there is with other reported fluctuations, this is new to me from the PTR. (I didn't play the last patch on the PTR prior to release, but every version on the PTR prior to that didn't have this problem).
Update: I ran some more tests this morning, and I was able to do a complete run-through of the keep depths without an issue of the frame-rate tanking. If I see the issue persist then I will make a new topic to collect data in.

One thing that I did allow it to do last night, which didn't seem to cause much of a difference with was allowing it to finish the initialization process to 100%. I would start the game at about 90% and everything would seem fine then the frame-rate would start tanking.

Something I did notice yesterday right after the patch went live was that loading times between areas would cause the game to lockup for a few seconds. I imagine this is due to requesting a map seed from the servers, and overload on the servers right after the patch went live. As a word of advise, if that is exactly what is happening (eg, waiting on server response) please take us out of the current area and do not block the main thread (UI thread) for doing this. I understand this is a rare occurrence, however it puts the application in a bit of a precarious situation in terms of the state. By using the application's main thread to request and fetch that data, you are allowing it to easily cause itself to hang and become unresponsive.

That has lead me to wonder if the lockups problem I saw, and a few other threads in this subsection have mentioned, was caused by my game client requesting data from the server on populating the areas I was in while the service was under heavy load. To be specific about what was happening, I wasn't experiencing lag or rubber-banding. My latency meter was green and was always at 100-200ms. Then my frame-rate would tank down to zero fps. The drop wasn't like anything I have seen in the game so far, it would just suddenly be at zero. I should also note that the FPS counter wouldn't update during this at all, the game would freeze up for a second or two, then return back to normal. When it returned it would as if the AI and game had continued on without me, however it wasn't like rubber-banding or lag where the AI stops moving. The AI would have continued to attack me and could have moved while the game was frozen.

I will go through my logs from last night later today and see if there is any more information in them as to what might have been happening. From playing for an hour or so this morning and not being able to see the drops again makes me think it wasn't something about the patch, or the area I was in at the time. Right now the only variable that I could think of that might have come into play was that of the server load. However I am hesitant to say that as I haven't seen anything directly server related cause performance problems since launch that couldn't be explained by latency.
90 Human Warlock
My $.02:
It isn't about any particular specification.
Mac OS (UNIX) is NOT windows and its not an XBox.
With DIII and with the new 'streaming content' patch in WoW, you chose to use your OWN disk read/write. This means you're fighting the low level stuff in Mac OS and its daemons. This is a place NO sane developer that I know dares touch, and you're making a mess.
Leave disk IO to the OS. Leave sound to the OS. Leave video drawing to the OS. Leave TCP to the OS. This is why UNIX developers > all. They know how to write as a lowly citizen in a service-based OS that doesn't work well with direct hardware control. Violating this mantra causes problems. Period.
Software:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.7.5 (11G63)
Kernel Version: Darwin 11.4.2
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes
Time since boot: 1 day16:16

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
L3 Cache: 3 MB
Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B27
SMC Version (system): 1.68f98
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Graphics/Displays:

Intel HD Graphics 3000:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 3000
VRAM (Total): 384 MB
Device ID: 0x0126
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1280 x 800

Other:

Input Source ID: com.apple.keylayout.Canadian
Extreme lag begins usually when the first monster appears. There's a slight lag on startup of new game.

Software:

Time since boot: 18 days 54 minutes

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Identifier: iMac11,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i3
Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 5.86 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: IM112.0057.B01
SMC Version (system): 1.64f5

Graphics/Displays:

ATI Radeon HD 5670:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5670
Device ID: 0x68c0
ROM Revision: 113-B9850H-133
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.416
Displays:
iMac:
Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Other:

I read through many posts about lagging and FPS dropping to nothing. I saw a few Blizzard responses with suggestions and I have tried them all. What is going on with this? I am not able to even play the game at this point. I have gone through normal, nightmare, and working my way through Hell without a problem until now.

Model Identifier: iMac12,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz
Boot ROM Version: IM121.0047.B1F
SMC Version (system): 1.72f1

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6970M
Device ID: 0x6720
ROM Revision: 113-C2960H-188
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.544
Displays:
iMac:
Resolution: 2560 x 1440

Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
Time since boot: 17 days 4:29

Recommended by Machkhan from another thread: Tried this and same issue -

Rebuild the Diablo III Cache
1. Navigate to /Applications/Diablo III/Data_D3/PC/MPQs and delete the Cache folder.
2. Then, navigate to Users/Shared/Battle.net/Agent and delete the Agent.db file.
3. Run the Diablo III Launcher and let the game update it's files.
4. Press Play when you see Game is up to date
Resetting permissions on the Diablo III folder
1. Select the Diablo III folder
2. Press Command + I
3. In the Info box, go to the Sharing & Permissions section and click on the lock and unlock it, entering your admin password when prompted.
4. Make sure you have Read & Write permissions
5. Click on the Burst icon (cog wheel) and select Apply to enclosed items
10/16/2012 05:13 PMPosted by Machkhan
Thanks DirkGently. Can you tell me an example framerate fluctuation what you're seeing now?

Update to my last post in here, Frame-rate tanking seems to happen when the initializing phase isn't allowed to complete to 100%.
Since Patch 1.0.5a i am experiencing a severe drop of my frame rate. On my external monitor it is now as low as 12 fps (coming down from 40 fps), playing native retina resolution, without having the external monitor plugged in, it drops to 5 fps (prior 40 fps). Prior to Patch 1.0.5a the game was running smoothly (although before patch 1.0.5 the game was running even better with with 60 fps).

I am hoping that this issue will be solved soon to make the game playable again.

My specs are:

Software:

System Version: OS X 10.8.2 (12C60)
Time since boot: 39 minutes

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Processor Speed: 2,6 GHz

Graphics/Displays:

Intel HD Graphics 4000:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M:

Displays:
Color LCD:
HP LP2475w:
Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
Display Serial Number: CZC850096F
Rotation: Supported

Other:

Input Source ID: com.apple.keylayout.German
Software:

System Version: OS X 10.8.2 (12C60)
Time since boot: 41 minutes

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Processor Speed: 2,6 GHz

Graphics/Displays:

Intel HD Graphics 4000:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M:

Displays:
Color LCD:

Other:

Input Source ID: com.apple.keylayout.Swedish-Pro
2880*1800=7fps
Edited by Annamia#2614 on 10/29/2012 12:57 AM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]