Diablo® III

No refund in AH after placing a high Max Bid

Dear Blizzard,

Simple scenario:

In my case, the item (Mangle Demise) was at about 1.25 mill gold and had a few seconds left on the AH. I placed a bid of 2.5 Mill, I won it, got my item and got no refund for the difference (about 1.2 Mill). If someone had placed a max bid of let's say 2 Mill, I would still have got a refund of 500k. But nothing. NO REFUND !! Not even 1 gold ! This is the first time I bid on an item that cost so much.

I have won a lot of auctions this way and EVERY SINGLE TIME I GOT A REFUND !

NOT TODAY !

Transaction ID: 891866688

After farming for several days and making about 2 Mill in gold, this is the biggest disappointment a player can experience. All the hard work (farming) and endless hours spent in the game just for the game/blizzard to basically STEAL your hard earned gold.

If this issue does not get solved, I am willing to give up playing Diablo 3. Most of the fun in this game comes from being able to do your research on the gear you want and then use the auction house to acquire it and later see how well your character does with the new gear.

By not getting a refund, like today, the game seems like a gamble. Some refunds you get, some you don't.

I DO NOT like to gamble. I cannot use the AH/play the game anymore if Diablo 3 involves gambling.

I am very disappointed... This AH rip off if a deal breaker for me.... I will wait for 7 days to get a refund (like Blizzard says) and I will get back here to reveal what happened. But Am I going to get a refund? I say 1% chance...

Blizzard, I want to know where my hard earned gold has gone? To the seller? Nowhere?
What if use my credit card and purchase gold and I end up getting ripped off like I did today? Is this even legal to do? Does it say anywhere on this website or game user agreement that a player can risk losing all his/her gold while placing a MAX bid? Sometimes we get a refund, sometimes we don't? Blizzard, how does this work? I see I am not the only one experiencing this problem with the AH... I do not see a confirmed bug anywhere, about this issue. At least if it would be confirmed, I would know, NOT to use max bid on the AH until it gets fixed, with a new update. Why nobody from Blizzard, ever replies to any of the threads regarding this problem? WHY?

If I will never get a refund, I still want you, Blizzard, to tell me where my gold went?

Thank you Blizzard??
Reply Quote
You aren't the only one buddy!

Yesterday, I tried to send to stash 6.5 million excess gold I spent in a bid I won (total bid was for 17 million gold and I won and got the item for 10.5 million leaving 6.5 mil gold refund in the items waitng to be sent to stash). When I clicked sent, the whole 6.5 million gold disappeared - my balance did not increase and now after a day and half still no response to my ticket I opened (https://us.battle.net/support/en/ticket/thread/30444705).

BTW, the excess gold is not going to the seller - in my case I made the purchase several weeks ago and the gold was sitting in my waiting-to-be-sent-to-stash list for weeks - but when I sent to stash yesterday it disappeared.

Seems like I am not the only one experiencing effects of a serious bug in auction house. And a slow response to my issue.

I suggest you too open up a support ticket, just in case.
Reply Quote
If this is a common issue, why is Blizzard not acknowledging this?

I have checked hundreds of posts about this issue and no reply from Blizzard?

WHY?
Reply Quote
This is how they dealt with my issue:
https://us.battle.net/support/en/ticket/thread/30444705
Reply Quote
Hey Cybernut I can't read your link, would be nice to find out how it ended.

Anyway, this is how they dealt with my exactly same issue after few tickets. On two items of no gold return. Lost total of 20mil, $30-40 in real money value.

'Hello and good (whatever the time is on your end),Pardon me for not being able to catch up with you sooner, but hopefully this message finds you well! =) Wanted to let you know that the Game Master department has a very limited scope of support for Diablo III, and we are not able to restore characters, items, achievements or game progress once it's been lost regardless of how it's lost.

While we understand the frustration of deleting a character or losing an item on accident, technicalities, or simply changing one's mind, however due to technical limitations we're unable to trace or restore lost items. Please be extremely careful with your items and characters in Diablo III, as they will not be recoverable once lost. I understand this isn't the solution you were looking for and apologize for the inconveniences that may have followed. I do hope that you can understand our reason for taking the stance that we have though and if you need anything else, please do not hesitate to contact us back! And may your travels not be littered with flying spiders! ;)

Warm and Cuddly Regards, Game Master- Lyrnos the ArachnophobeCustomer ServiceBlizzard Entertainment www.blizzard.com/support '

Pretty much Blizzard's way of saying eff you, we already got your money now get lost. Yup this is how they treat their customers.
Reply Quote
Um why would you get the difference back? The whole point of bidding is to beat the next guy, you cant just say bid 1billion gold and get the difference if no1 else has bid. If you didnt want to spend that much, dont bid that much. Simple. The logic here is beyond me unless you're trolling.....
Reply Quote
09/10/2012 11:19 AMPosted by Angst
Um why would you get the difference back? The whole point of bidding is to beat the next guy, you cant just say bid 1billion gold and get the difference if no1 else has bid. If you didnt want to spend that much, dont bid that much. Simple. The logic here is beyond me unless you're trolling.....

You are wrong. D3 AH uses the proxy bidding system where you can bid any amount you want, but only the portion of your bid that was enough to win the auction is used, the rest is returned to you.

2 questions for the OP:

1. What does the transaction record in the Completed tab say - was it "Purchased - Bid" or "Purchased - Buyout"? Maybe you accidentally bought it out by clicking on Buyout instead of Bid?

2. What is the Amount in the same line?
Reply Quote
Simple scenario:

In my case, the item (Mangle Demise) was at about 1.25 mill gold and had a few seconds left on the AH. I placed a bid of 2.5 Mill, I won it, got my item and got no refund for the difference (about 1.2 Mill). If someone had placed a max bid of let's say 2 Mill, I would still have got a refund of 500k. But nothing. NO REFUND !! Not even 1 gold ! This is the first time I bid on an item that cost so much.

I have won a lot of auctions this way and EVERY SINGLE TIME I GOT A REFUND !

NOT TODAY !

When you place a max bid of 2.5 million gold, that tells the auction you are willing to pay up to 2.5 million gold for the item. The auction house may charge you that much, depending on what other max bids have been placed by other players. Sometimes you get a refund—if your bid is much higher than the other bids, you are entitled to a refund equal to the difference. But if other players are willing to pay as much as you are, then you may get no refund at all, and the entire 2.5 million gold (minus 15% commission) will go to the item seller.

This is just like ebay. If you bid $120 on an item, and someone else bid $130, you don't get the item. If someone else bid $120 after you did, you will get the item, but you will pay the whole $120 for it. If nobody else bid more than $30, you will get the item for $31 ($30 plus the bid increment). The only difference is that when you place a maximum bid on the auction house, the auction house places a hold on the funds you used to make that bid. So if ebay worked like this, you would pay ebay $120 when you placed the bid, and then ebay would refund you, respectively, $120, $0, or $89 at the end of the auction (refunding your entire bid if you lost, and the difference between your maximum bid and your winning bid if you won).

I don't know if this is what happened or not, but the situation as you describe it does not mean that any bug has occurred; this sounds like it might just be the auction house working as intended.
Edited by althai#1238 on 9/10/2012 3:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
You people who don't know what is going on, stop assuming and don't reply cause it makes you look stupid.

Angst this is my second time seeing you post like this on an almost same topic, it is clear you either never used AH before or you are a troll who has nothing better to do in your life.

Althai I guess you've never won an item by bidding. It shows you how much max bid was and exactly how much gold it costed for you to win the item. So you know you lost your gold when AH shows, you won an item for 30mil gold and your max bid was 40mil but never get the rest of your back.
Reply Quote
09/10/2012 07:34 PMPosted by Born2kill
Althai I guess you've never won an item by bidding.

Yes I have. And I'm not denying that it may be possible for this to be a bug, or that other people have been denied appropriate refunds due to a bug.

I'm simply pointing out that the OP is wrong to assume (s)he should always get a refund when bidding. It's always possible that the final bid price will end up equal to the max bid price. When this happens, there should be no refund.

As you say, you can check the final bid price after you've won an auction, so the OP should check whether the final bid amount was, in fact, 2.5m.
Reply Quote
Althai I guess you've never won an item by bidding.
As you say, you can check the final bid price after you've won an auction, so the OP should check whether the final bid amount was, in fact, 2.5m.

How do you check the final bid when the bid is over? Completed tabs only show the final price and whether you bought or bid. The item disappears in the search after it expires

And just to add my experience:
I timed it, with my stop watch app.

I plugged in 1.5Mil bid on an item that was at ~650K 5 seconds before the auction ended, and I ended up paying 1.5Mil exactly.

Could have been someone gave a close max bid, and I barely outbid him, OR something is definitely shifty. I believe in the latter.

Instead of starting a new thread, maybe compiling instances of shady happenings will get the situation some attention from CMs.
Edited by XIII#1670 on 9/12/2012 12:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Ya its bugged right now i just tested on 2 item faken lost 14m and like 4-5m. and yes i kno exactly how the AH works..
Sometimes your gettin the refund and sometimes your not.. AND YES i kno theres that chance someone bid right under you.. but lol i just tried it on 2 !@#$ty item to test this theory and what do you know bugged both times.. its a good bugg for blizzard can u imagine if the MONEY AH is doing this to :) no refund for ur money!
Edited by Exile#1836 on 9/12/2012 12:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I've got the same issue too, got no refund after i bid 1.8 mil on an item that was at around 800k with 10 seconds left. And I was thinking maybe someone else placed exactly 1.8 mil right after I did and therefore I got no refund? But it seems like a very big coincidence though..
Reply Quote
yea this is annoying... i just bid 57mil on a pair of 33 mil ice climbers in the last second... No way i won it at EXACTLY 57m... not one gold returned.... i am pissed.
trade ID# 1122527900
Reply Quote
What part of the auction house concept do people not get?

YOU ONLY GET A REFUND IF YOU PUT UP A MAX PRICE ON AN ITEM THAT HAD NO BIDS ON IT PREVIOUSLY.

If people start bidding on an item, it will take into account of the max amount of money you put in and not get any refund. Why? If that was the case, the person with most money will always win on a good deal and the end time of an auction won't play a role in who wins.

You shouldnt get your money back in the first place. No auction works that way.
Reply Quote
i got them to tell me to write it on here. after experiencing the same thing i wrote a ticket and they told me to post it here. im getting tired of being told write here no write there. just give me my gold back ffs.
Reply Quote

YOU ONLY GET A REFUND IF YOU PUT UP A MAX PRICE ON AN ITEM THAT HAD NO BIDS ON IT PREVIOUSLY.

Thanks for the caps, but this is not true. I just lost 500m on an item I put the initial bid on and watched it tick down to the last second with no other bids put on, got no refund for the difference.

Oh wells right?
Reply Quote
i had a bid on an item. wich was to low and did not get my gold back.
Reply Quote
What part of the auction house concept do people not get?

If people start bidding on an item, it will take into account of the max amount of money you put in and not get any refund. Why? If that was the case, the person with most money will always win on a good deal and the end time of an auction won't play a role in who wins.

You shouldnt get your money back in the first place. No auction works that way.

Thanks for the caps, but this is not true. I just lost 500m on an item I put the initial bid on and watched it tick down to the last second with no other bids put on, got no refund for the difference.

Oh wells right?

Now in my understanding this is how it works.

An item has a min bid of 200 mil no buyout, you bid 500 mil and no one else bids on the item except you, the ah will take the first bid in full and that is what the item is purchased for, in your case 500 mil. Same thing happened tovme awhile back thankfully min bid was 80 mil and i put 100 down, still was expecting a 20 mil refund and when i got the item and no refund i was a lil dumbfounded.

Now if there is already a bid on the item, just say 200 mil min bid no buyout. The next increment it lets you bid is 240 mil( you know there is a bid) you bid 500 mil, the next person closest to you drives the bid up to 300 mil to no avail, you take the item and get a 200 mil refund.

Why it works like this, i have no clue. But it does. Bid the min always, get outbid and then bid your max, if there is gold left over you will get both the item and remainder of your refund.

Good luck!!!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]