Diablo® III

Gear Guru - An EHP/DPS calculator for Android

Since this forum is for posting about things that utilize the API, I present Gear Guru. It's an EHP/DPS calculator for the Android platform. The most recent version now supports character imports via the API. It imports both the character profile and all the equipped items to build an accurate representation of the character.

Google Play link: http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gearguruapp.d3trial

Screenshots:
  • http://www.gearguruapp.com/ss_1.png
  • http://www.gearguruapp.com/ss_2.png
  • http://www.gearguruapp.com/ss_3.png
  • http://www.gearguruapp.com/ss_4.png
  • http://www.gearguruapp.com/ss_5.png
Edited by OnTheMF#1795 on 9/6/2012 4:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Very nice app that you have there.
I would like to take a look at the source code, where can I download it?

Cheers.
Reply Quote
You can download it from Google Play.

Cheers.
Reply Quote
You can download it from Google Play.

Cheers.

I don't see an obvious link to the source code on Google Play. Do you have a repo up somewhere?
Reply Quote
No I don't have a repo setup. You can just download the app and look at the code. It's java...
Reply Quote
09/08/2012 03:35 PMPosted by OnTheMF
No I don't have a repo setup. You can just download the app and look at the code. It's java...

Oh I see, I don't have an Android device so it won't let me download it. I just wanted to compare some formulas out of curiosity.

I see you're a fellow Calgarian =)
Reply Quote
09/08/2012 04:02 PMPosted by Poutine

Oh I see, I don't have an Android device so it won't let me download it. I just wanted to compare some formulas out of curiosity.

I see you're a fellow Calgarian =)

Yes, I am, born and raised. :)

In terms of formulas Gear Guru runs a little differently than all of the other EHP/DPS apps/spreadsheets, because there really isn't a "master formula." Internally the data structures were setup to mimic how I expect Blizzard does it on their server. So instead of carrying a ton of variables through one long formula, the final formula is actually very simple. It's also the same formula that is used by everything else, which for EHP is basically HP / DR. The damage formula is a little more complicated, but essentially I started with the formula found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEyiezB8Mpw

I then improvised from there to apply it to dual wield, and fix some of the small calculation errors.

Honestly the real magic is in how the skills are stacked/calculated. For a spreadsheet it's difficult to duplicate this functionality without some sort of programming (such as VBS), because a lot of the skills require run-time logic calculations. The up-side is that the logic is simple, so if you're developing in the context of a web app then it's trivial to implement it, just a lot more work.
Reply Quote
But do you use Blizzard's API on your app?
Reply Quote
09/08/2012 04:32 PMPosted by Bunn

Do you work for Blizzard? Your posts aren't blue, so I'm confused.
Reply Quote
Bro, your Android app Force Closes on import using those Blizzard APIs.

Using a Galaxy Nexus, google's reference device.

Please fix, your app should rock!
Reply Quote
09/08/2012 04:44 PMPosted by OnTheMF

Do you work for Blizzard? Your posts aren't blue, so I'm confused.

No, I do not. I imagined that if you used Blizzard's API you should have the source published somewhere.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6248126731
application code must be completely visible.

The programming code of an application must in no way be hidden or obfuscated, and must be freely accessible to and viewable by the general public.

Was just a question, I liked your app and got curious how you did it, I saw the code of some other really good apps posted here and everyone has a open repository, that's all. If you do use Blizzard's api you need to publish the source code somewhere, it's their policy . It's a honest question, don't need to get defensive asking if I work for Blizzard since this is really not the case.
Reply Quote
09/08/2012 09:32 PMPosted by Bunn
Was just a question, I liked your app and got curious how you did it, I saw the code of some other really good apps posted here and everyone has a open repository, that's all. If you do use Blizzard's api you need to publish the source code somewhere, it's their policy . It's a honest question, don't need to get defensive asking if I work for Blizzard since this is really not the case.

It wasn't a honest question at all. It was a loaded question, that was really a passive aggressive attempt to incite an argument. Let's call a spade a spade here, you asked "But do you use Blizzard's API on your app?" in a thread where the first sentence is "Since this forum is for posting about things that utilize the API, I present Gear Guru."

The programming code of an application must in no way be hidden or obfuscated, and must be freely accessible to and viewable by the general public.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, anyone can freely view the code by downloading the application and viewings its code. It's java. I do not have a public repository online nor is that a requirement of the API usage policy. As far as I am concerned the app meets the API usage policy requirements and the trademark policy requirements.

If at some point in time a Blizzard rep contacts me and says otherwise I will take down the app.
Reply Quote
Bro, your Android app Force Closes on import using those Blizzard APIs.

Using a Galaxy Nexus, google's reference device.

Please fix, your app should rock!

Can you provide me some more details on the crash? I was able to import your characters no problem. Did it crash at the stage where you entered your battle tag? Did you receive the crash after you selected the selected to import? Was it mid-import or was it before the import even started?

Also, do you know which version you have installed? Was it 1.3.4?

Thanks!
Reply Quote
09/09/2012 04:18 AMPosted by OnTheMF

It wasn't a honest question at all. It was a loaded question, that was really a passive aggressive attempt to incite an argument. Let's call a spade a spade here, you asked "But do you use Blizzard's API on your app?" in a thread where the first sentence is "Since this forum is for posting about things that utilize the API, I present Gear Guru."

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, anyone can freely view the code by downloading the application and viewings its code. It's java. I do not have a public repository online nor is that a requirement of the API usage policy. As far as I am concerned the app meets the API usage policy requirements and the trademark policy requirements.

If at some point in time a Blizzard rep contacts me and says otherwise I will take down the app.

Again, I was just curious, if you don't want to share the code, that's fine, but you are *not* following the requirements.
"* freely accessible* to and viewable by the general public"
How do I freely access your code? I didn't see any way to do that. I'm not being condescending, I'm really asking. If there isn't a way to freely access your code, you are not by their policy.

My intention wasn't to argue with you, I asked if you used the api because I saw the video and the stats needed to be manually filled and not pulled by the api. If that's the case I thought that I could help with the project *because I thought that it was one some public rep* and make a patch for it, I really wanted to help, as I said, you didn't need to get defensive, if you don't want to share it's your problem with Blizzard, not mine, and you don't even need to explain yourself to me.
Reply Quote
I think OnTheMF is implying that you can upack an Android APK and get to the java .class files, and then decompile them to see the source. Its going to be Blizzard's call on whether that really classifies as open source or not.
Reply Quote
Can you release your calculations? I'm having trouble with accuracy in some that I've found.
Reply Quote
09/10/2012 07:14 AMPosted by kenpachi
Can you release your calculations? I'm having trouble with accuracy in some that I've found.

I used the same formula you use, which was presented in the youtube video I linked earlier. I think your issue may be with how you're getting the various stats. The hero profile stats are buffed stats, which could be buffed from any skill, even active skills.
Reply Quote
Will this be updated for ROS? I tested and it does not work.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]