Diablo® III

Pet Guide (Patch 1.0.4 to 1.0.5) - old

09/22/2012 11:09 AMPosted by Terihlon
maximus

Holy moley. That's almost perfect for my build. Though, the demon slave won't happen very often since I won't be spamming any attacks.
Do we know the proc rate on it?
it procs a lot. it's up pretty much every fight. my enchantress has one too :)
I think the haunt from Band of Hollow Whispers can proc the demon.

I wish Firebomb could go over walls. I want to take advantage of the bonus to fire damage skills from Maximus but I like RoT too much right now to get rid of it.
I just won a second Maximus for 2mil. Not as good as the first one but its for my enchantress. :)

I didn't need to buy a second one but I wanted to see what it was like with 2 of the demons up and that made up for spending the gold.

In the build I am currently using I am thinking about dropping zombie handler for something else since I have the extra demon from my enchantress. Probably just switch it back to JF till 1.0.5.
Edited by FallofKings#1473 on 9/23/2012 12:17 PM PDT
They are big red demons (maybe slightly bigger than a gargantuan) with a fire chain between you and them and yes it does damage and yes they are very big distractions and actually do pretty good damage.
09/23/2012 12:21 PMPosted by weesheng
Those the demon 'distract' enemies? Am contemplating getting either Maximus or that staff that mezzes enemies once they fix the follower MF thing. Currently using Grand Vizier.

Wrote this on another forum, but this should answer your question:

"More importantly, though, the monster AI treats him as a real pet, so he draws aggro from them and off you. He's also large and solid, so between him and Gary doorways are completely blocked, and scary melee things are kept off you. He also provides another target for teleporting things like Phase Beasts - maybe it's just my wishful thinking, but they really seem to love going after him.

Another benefit that I observed is that the demon will not retreat with your main group when you run away using Spirit Walk. The zombie dogs, the Enchantress and Gary all come with you, but the demon stays and fights. So on the occasion that you need to retreat for a bit from a particularly nasty fight, the elites/champs will not follow (they're fighting the demon) and you get significantly more time to recuperate, or even escape completely if necessary.

Overall, Maximus is perfect fit for a Witch Doctor, providing yet another tank and more damage (both his own and by boosting the damage output of your Enchantress). Richer people than I actually use two of them, to get two demon tanks, but honestly I don't think I'd give up my Azurewrath even if I could afford another Maximus."

I gave the Maximus to my Barbarian's Enchantress, though. The WD already has enough pets around. :)
Edited by EnderWard#1214 on 9/23/2012 1:43 PM PDT
09/23/2012 01:41 PMPosted by EnderWard
Those the demon 'distract' enemies? Am contemplating getting either Maximus or that staff that mezzes enemies once they fix the follower MF thing. Currently using Grand Vizier.

Wrote this on another forum, but this should answer your question:

"More importantly, though, the monster AI treats him as a real pet, so he draws aggro from them and off you. He's also large and solid, so between him and Gary doorways are completely blocked, and scary melee things are kept off you. He also provides another target for teleporting things like Phase Beasts - maybe it's just my wishful thinking, but they really seem to love going after him.

Another benefit that I observed is that the demon will not retreat with your main group when you run away using Spirit Walk. The zombie dogs, the Enchantress and Gary all come with you, but the demon stays and fights. So on the occasion that you need to retreat for a bit from a particularly nasty fight, the elites/champs will not follow (they're fighting the demon) and you get significantly more time to recuperate, or even escape completely if necessary.

Overall, Maximus is perfect fit for a Witch Doctor, providing yet another tank and more damage (both his own and by boosting the damage output of your Enchantress). Richer people than I actually use two of them, to get two demon tanks, but honestly I don't think I'd give up my Azurewrath even if I could afford another Maximus."

I gave the Maximus to my Barbarian's Enchantress, though. The WD already has enough pets around. :)

Man, I am very tempted to make a fire build WD.
y'all gotta stop copying me
09/23/2012 03:08 PMPosted by Terihlon
y'all gotta stop copying me

Fine, I'll stick with my well of soul build. :P

Only 6.99% of lvl 60 WDs use Spirit Barrage and of that 6.99%, only 11.1% uses Well of Souls. lol Talk about being different...
I can copy you if I want to... :)

I'm still not sure about a build for using it. Seems kinda a waste to not take advantage of the fire skill damage bonus but RoT is just awesome. My current build has worked out well so far but I am not 100% sure about it yet.
I can copy you if I want to... :)

I'm still not sure about a build for using it. Seems kinda a waste to not take advantage of the fire skill damage bonus but RoT is just awesome. My current build has worked out well so far but I am not 100% sure about it yet.

i know what you mean about RoT... but i love the fire.. fun > mechanics.
The build I am currently using was the first thing I thought of to combine the 2. I also want to keep using RoT because the ammy I bought has 10% bonus to toads damage. I didn't want another spammable attack so I went with Pyrogeist and Searing Locusts and Burning Dogs even though I am not sure it works with them.
Edited by FallofKings#1473 on 9/23/2012 6:42 PM PDT
Terihlon... your build seems a lot of fun :) did you tried switching weapons with the Enchantress... I'm pretty curious how the "X.XX% of damage dealt is converted to life" works with WD...
Edited by TheThunder#2933 on 9/24/2012 2:53 AM PDT
my 2 builds for A3 fast runs that suites best my play style:

- a more aggressive approach:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WRYdUT!gYW!bacYca
I can buff my dps up to 68k so I can run really fast through A3.

- a more conservative approach:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WRYdUT!gTW!baYZca

testing leeching dogs tho I'm more into burning ones but I dropped some LoH for MF.
the life steal is important. it keeps me alive, now that pets aren't giving me enough LoH.

i want another maximus for my DH's enchantress :/

i guess i could just borrow stuff.. but that's annoying. follower gear should be account-wide!
Edited by Terihlon#1660 on 9/24/2012 6:36 AM PDT
I have never had any of those issues. Having 2 of them is so awesome. I don't know why I waited so long to get 2 of them.

I want to see 4 pet witch doctors all using Maximus in the same game.
I want gear like that some day. At least the boots and the chest.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]