Diablo® III

Pet Guide (Patch 1.0.4 to 1.0.5) - old

09/06/2012 11:48 PMPosted by Nianque
Does having fire damage % (like on Maximus) benefit burning dogs? I have 29% and I was wondering if its really having that much of an effect. My dogs don't seem to be doing much damage.

You mean this affix?
  • Fire skills deal 15-25% more damage.

Even if it does, burning dogs only does 2% aoe damage, so 25% of 2% is only 2.5%.

I wonder if we are going about this the wrong way. There could be some way to increasing overall dps for a pet build that we are not looking.

But we still need raw dps to kill treasure goblins.
Edited by Peter#1403 on 9/7/2012 12:45 AM PDT
Just throwing in there that Dodge has REALLY helped my pets not melt to things like Electrified, and even saved them from getting nuked by fallen maniacs.

I'm currently sitting at 31% dodge with over 1k dex on my hybrid doctor and I can really see a difference especially playing with other witch doctors. My pets tend to survive battles a little bit longer, or even the entire mob encounter with these pet melting affixes depending on how many times they dodge.

A couple of these Witch doctors have similar life, and resists, and sometimes even have up to 10k more hp than me.

"Dodge" never appears over my pets heads, but they don't take damage time to time, and even the "absorb" words appear less since they're getting hit a little bit less.
Edited by DonBukka#1245 on 9/7/2012 1:44 AM PDT
Proctors, please take note. Perma CC item builds is out the window. Via blue post

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6490010652#3

Good thing I dumped my gear last week.

Edit: Just thought about it. Mobs will still get interrupted and the initial stun length will be longer as well. Might still work if you get enough DPS to burn them down fast. Perma-stun bosses are out, that's for sure.

@Weesheng, actually you should take a look at the original blog post:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/7100052/Developer_Journal_Crowd_Control_Changes-9_5_2012

Taken out of context, the blue post might suggest a nerf to cc, when in fact they are actually trying to buff it. Remember, the current inferno elite reduction rate is ALREADY capped at 65%. What they are doing is setting that to 0%, then adding in diminishing returns by increasing cc resistance everytime elites are hit with cc, up to the original cap of 65%. In conclusion, don't sell your cc gear if you are satisfied with it currently, because it will only get stronger.
Ok I just did some more testing trying to use a mojo instead of a shield for dps boost. Most will probably know it but in case those trying to use a mojo to replace the shield, I found that using Zdogs leech works 10 times better as the dogs don't die easily. I was always using burning dogs and I hardly die and kill faster after dropping the shield for a mojo.

And I am not even using Fierce Loyalty and they have no problems surviving and keeping stuff off you to move around and blast away.
Was looking for ways to increase my damage while still keeping my shield and I came across something I think might help. I sold a dead mans legacy last night and was looking through amulets and came across a maras kaleidoscope with +10% to rain of toads damage. It also has int,vit, and all resist so I was wondering if other people thought it might be a good idea.
09/07/2012 05:33 AMPosted by FallofKings
Was looking for ways to increase my damage while still keeping my shield and I came across something I think might help. I sold a dead mans legacy last night and was looking through amulets and came across a maras kaleidoscope with +10% to rain of toads damage. It also has int,vit, and all resist so I was wondering if other people thought it might be a good idea.

Yeah it is a good idea, congrats on the purchase.
There was one with 12% but it was over twice as much. Got my dps up to 25k while still keeping my shield.
Hi thanks for the guide. I finished Inferno using a regen pet build. I actually built her to farm and aside from her helm which I found, her gear was pretty cheap. I spent under a mill for the rest. My pets survive quite well even in acts 3 and 4 and I can farm act 3 with her.
Can anyone tell if Fierce Loyalty is needed for Pets to benefit 100% from LoH and Lifesteal? or is it only needed for Regen and Thorn?
@Doowa

Pets will never benefit from your LoH and/or Life steal regardless of rune or skills you use.

Only way for pets to regain life apart from innate life regen on pets, is to take up either the leeching rune for dogs or to use the fierce loyalty passive and stack up tons of life regen.

Fierce loyalty gives pets your life regen and thorns.
Edited by NightCross#6873 on 9/7/2012 7:14 AM PDT
09/07/2012 06:31 AMPosted by LuckyDog
Hi thanks for the guide. I finished Inferno using a regen pet build. I actually built her to farm and aside from her helm which I found, her gear was pretty cheap. I spent under a mill for the rest. My pets survive quite well even in acts 3 and 4 and I can farm act 3 with her.

Congrats!

We have come a long way since 1.0.3. Now the question is not whether pets can work in Inferno or not. It's how fast we can farm.

"Dodge" never appears over my pets heads, but they don't take damage time to time, and even the "absorb" words appear less since they're getting hit a little bit less.

Just to chime in. I have about 25% dodge chance but not by choice. DEX just happens to be on the items I am using now.

I have noticed several times that I dodged Mortar which prevents me from getting killed in split seconds.

It just sucks that we have no Tactics or runes that can improve our Dodge chance to stack the effect.

I almost think it is better to stack INT and DEX and leave STR alone because INT gives us AR and we can get Armor from just regular equipment. 25% chance to Dodge is better than that little extra % you get from STR's bonus. Don't you think? And I am using Fortitude already anyway to reduce incoming damage.
Edited by Jibikao#1131 on 9/7/2012 8:05 AM PDT
Does having fire damage % (like on Maximus) benefit burning dogs? I have 29% and I was wondering if its really having that much of an effect. My dogs don't seem to be doing much damage.

You mean this affix?
  • Fire skills deal 15-25% more damage.

Even if it does, burning dogs only does 2% aoe damage, so 25% of 2% is only 2.5%.

I wonder if we are going about this the wrong way. There could be some way to increasing overall dps for a pet build that we are not looking.

But we still need raw dps to kill treasure goblins.

Sometimes I wish they could give us a Tactic that can improve Pet's damage and not just their survival. Getting more damage through Thorn is just pain in the butt because that's one more property we need to look for, plus pick-up radius if you want to use Grave Injustice and plus +Life Regen to get more out of Fierce Loyalty.

The best way to get more damage from pet is through PtV which drains your mana faster so you end up spamming Primary most of the time.

A new Tactic like "You deal 10%-15% less damage but your Pets do 25-30% more damage".
Edited by Jibikao#1131 on 9/7/2012 8:13 AM PDT
@Jibikao

Actually , just have both, vitality and life regan. :) (Life Regan is PVP best stat)
And keep LOH in weapon. Life Steal, you must have good DPS and Mana Regan.

How do you know Life Regen is good for PvP? Just curious.

Just to chime in. I have about 25% dodge chance but not by choice. DEX just happens to be on the items I am using now.

I have noticed several times that I dodged Mortar which prevents me from getting killed in split seconds.

It just sucks that we have no Tactics or runes that can improve our Dodge chance to stack the effect.

I almost think it is better to stack INT and DEX and leave STR alone because INT gives us AR and we can get Armor from just regular equipment. 25% chance to Dodge is better than that little extra % you get from STR's bonus. Don't you think? And I am using Fortitude already anyway to reduce incoming damage.

DEX is nice to have but you'll be competing with Monks and DH for equip will make it much more expensive. Dodge is nice though and does work.
Edited by LuckyDog#1163 on 9/7/2012 8:23 AM PDT
cc will be BETTER in 1.05.

Yeah I do think, and this is exactly why I've looked at dex as my thrid stacking stat.

My stat order has been Int, vit=dex, all res, physical res.

31% dodge
4.1k armor
45k hp
45k damage (57k with full soul harvest.)
600 all res with phys res at nearly 900

Yes I have sacrificed crit damage spikes, but at the same time, I have comfort in knowng I'm doing consistent damage, and makes gearing in the way I am 200% easier, and it's DIRT CHEAP!

All in all, my pets have excellent survivability, with 600 loh and 500 life regen, I can face tank doorways with my pets solo or in pub games in act 3.

All in all I think missing out on crit chane/damage for all that was a very fair trade off, and I defs don't regret gearing up in this way.
Edited by DonBukka#1245 on 9/7/2012 9:43 AM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]