Diablo® III

Pet Guide (Patch 1.0.4 to 1.0.5) - old

My stat order has been Int, vit=dex, all res, physical res.

31% dodge
4.1k armor
45k hp
45k damage (57k with full soul harvest.)
600 all res with phys res at nearly 900

Yes I have sacrificed crit damage spikes, but at the same time, I have comfort in knowng I'm doing consistent damage, and makes gearing in the way I am 200% easier, and it's DIRT CHEAP!

Your stats, I LIKE. Me poor... and lazy. I like seeing very balanced stats.

I like a mix of good survival and decent damage. I think with just 35K, you can kill in act 3 reasonably well. It may not be fast, but good enough. By not dying or running/kiting, you can kill faster and running back from respawn point takes longer time imo. Sadly, I don't have the damage or survival to farm in act 3 well. I die quite often. lol
Edited by Jibikao#1131 on 9/7/2012 9:55 AM PDT
Hmmm folks the maximum amount of thorns you can get from all gear is about 21k.

Do you think we should gear up like the rest? First, get crit chance and crit damage.
Then, for the Fierce Loyalty people, get thorns for the remaining of your gear.
Edited by Peter#1403 on 9/7/2012 11:43 AM PDT
I made it all the way to inferno diablo with nearly zero life per second and ~400 AR.. not sure why 2000 life per second is nessesary. health pots and spirit walk are more than enough for a WD post 1.04

no need for a shield, pets live long enough to always reach the cooldown timer and then some.

u can check out my WD Pinky... im striving to decrease my AR even more, getting more int, vit and maybe eventually some life on hit/life steal

Dont need all resist if you dont ever get hit. although its difficult not to on inferno diablo.... the only boss who has eluded me so far.... tried 3 times and cant get passed phase 2.

everything else is pretty simple.
I made it all the way to inferno diablo with nearly zero life per second and ~400 AR.. not sure why 2000 life per second is nessesary. health pots and spirit walk are more than enough for a WD post 1.04

no need for a shield, pets live long enough to always reach the cooldown timer and then some.

u can check out my WD Pinky... im striving to decrease my AR even more, getting more int, vit and maybe eventually some life on hit/life steal

Dont need all resist if you dont ever get hit. although its difficult not to on inferno diablo.... the only boss who has eluded me so far.... tried 3 times and cant get passed phase 2.

everything else is pretty simple.

If you had some regen, you can easily get past phase 2. When I get hit, I run around a bit and I'm back to full health and so are my pets.
There's just something i don't understand...
Why are there even builds with 2/3 skills from the same branch (ie having zombie dogs + spirit walk)
How can you have those together??
Am i missing something here?
There's just something i don't understand...
Why are there even builds with 2/3 skills from the same branch (ie having zombie dogs + spirit walk)
How can you have those together??
Am i missing something here?

Elective Mode baby! It's the biggest secret in D3.

(I never understand why the default is not Elective Mode and Advanced Tool Tip).

I played with a friend who bought the game 3 days ago. I kept telling him to read the description and read about Weapon % and he didn't understand. It turns out he needs to turn on Advanced Tool tip to see that kind of info.
Yup elective mode is how....prepare to have your world rocked.
I was told to paste my build here:

Thread:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6413024350

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA9MvrPG-bo

Currently uploading a Diablo kill.
Edited by SAMUNOZ1#1952 on 9/7/2012 8:05 PM PDT
09/07/2012 06:39 AMPosted by Doowa
Can anyone tell if Fierce Loyalty is needed for Pets to benefit 100% from LoH and Lifesteal? or is it only needed for Regen and Thorn?

pets won't get LoH or steal with FL or not.
Hmmm folks the maximum amount of thorns you can get from all gear is about 21k.

Do you think we should gear up like the rest? First, get crit chance and crit damage.
Then, for the Fierce Loyalty people, get thorns for the remaining of your gear.

what is the purpose of crit? does crit apply to thorns? it doesn't apply to dogs, right?

if it's just raw damage you want, i think int is the way to go.
I believe, crit chance does apply to pets, but crit damage is unproven/untested.

Crit does not apply/affect thorns at all though.
Edited by NightCross#6873 on 9/7/2012 8:42 PM PDT
I'm looking for ways to increase the dps of pet builds, but I am at a loss, so that's why I went with what other Witch Doctors are doing and think of crit chance/crit damage.

How about sycophants? Do you think getting as many pets as possible is the natural way to increase the dps of pet builds? More dps through sheer volume?
I managed to kill Diablo last night with the following setup and gear;
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Caris-2269/hero/6975731

I switched to my WD after the patch and snatched alot of gear from my wiz, hence there is alot of critchance and critdmg. Not sure I will keep going for that stat.
I really want to get PtV but I can't decide what passive to let go for it. Probably going to try without FL.

Farming act 3 it nice and ok fast, some combinations I have to kite abit. Pets are doing fine - they are never dead and on CD at the same time.

Going to concentrate on armor and resists so I can stand still and pewpew while not losing dmg and HP.

EDIT: All ny gear is selffound (or found by my husband/friends) and crafted. Except for the offhand which I saw on AH for 50k and couldn't resist :)
Edited by Caris#2269 on 9/7/2012 11:56 PM PDT
I'm looking for ways to increase the dps of pet builds, but I am at a loss, so that's why I went with what other Witch Doctors are doing and think of crit chance/crit damage.

How about sycophants? Do you think getting as many pets as possible is the natural way to increase the dps of pet builds? More dps through sheer volume?

i've been playing with sycophants... i would say it's better to use vq for higher dmg spells... i always try something and end up going back to JF. i don't like it when my pets die. i still am hoping to pick up a skorn at some point.
@FallofKings your Skysplitter actually gave me an insight into legendary items. I never realized a weapon can have so much life regen. More than 2-3 items worth. Then we can free up the other gear and focus on getting other stats.

I'll consider getting Skyspitter too. I may add a gear section for aspiring Pet Doctors. Anyone who thinks a legendary gear will be great for a Pet Doctor, feel free to post them here.
Edited by Peter#1403 on 9/8/2012 12:42 AM PDT
And sorry to the people whose questions I missed. I probably had a lot on my mind during those days and completely missed them.

@Special, I assume you having less life regen and 40k dps means you have found your farming spec.

@Doowa, yes as mentioned, LoH, Life Steal and Life on Kill do not heal pets, only YOU.

Yes I agree that Fierce Loyalty feels like a wasted passive if you only use Life Regen. There are also too many stats to juggle to fit in thorns. And thorns isn't useful in certain situations like getting treasure goblins.

I'm looking into increasing dps and wonder which is easier, getting 20k dps from crit or 20k dps from thorns?
Wouldnt say i'm near anyone of you guys who are farming a3/a4.

But i finally got my WD up to a2(almost cleared), mainly using a shield.

Tried going mojo(not a good comparison but got 1 on a 100k budget, best i could find with that price - same budget as my shield), and my pets die quite obviously faster and more often on elites as compared to when i'm using a shield.

I do agree that a mojo is quite a significant dps boost, but it mainly helped me on whites as compared to elites/bosses. Don't think that its enough to warrant me sticking to it.

So back to a shield i go =P

As for increasing dps, i never liked thorns due to how situational it is.

Would rather go for int and damage to boost dps and perhaps ias and/or crit for a little extra if i can get decent amounts of them without gimping something else.

Edit : Did my mojo and shield comparison tests with both leeching beast and fire dogs, used cleave garg(just love him) for both tests.
Edited by NightCross#6873 on 9/8/2012 2:44 PM PDT
Bought the Skysplitter. Really nice weapon with guaranteed 400-500 life regen.

It's pretty cheap too. About 2 million I think.
Edited by Peter#1403 on 9/8/2012 10:13 AM PDT
The life regen is what first got me interested. I spent 600k on mine. Took a day of searching and had to bid at the last second to get it.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]