Diablo® III

Pet Guide (Patch 1.0.4 to 1.0.5) - old

I'm looking for ways to increase the dps of pet builds, but I am at a loss, so that's why I went with what other Witch Doctors are doing and think of crit chance/crit damage.

How about sycophants? Do you think getting as many pets as possible is the natural way to increase the dps of pet builds? More dps through sheer volume?
Test pets for damage normalization to character sheet DPS. If they're normalized to the sheet then you can increase their DPS in exactly the same way you get ridiculous DPS any other way, Crit and Crit damage with modest AS. And doing so will increase your DPS with whatever attacks you choose to use.

I gotta actually put some time into my WD I removed my previous one to start from scratch XD

Edit: Also, why not try NOT using FL and use Sycophants instead. Yes pets will die more, but with sufficient AS you'll be running with 3-5 EXTRA pets who are IIR REALLY tanky.
Edited by Autocthon#1276 on 9/8/2012 7:23 PM PDT
I use pets and they never really die... I have 66k DPS also.
picked up a skorn... new build!
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#SRUZYT!dWh!ZaZbYa

honored guest for pierce the veil, death is life for gruesome feast, and burning dogs for skorn's bleed.

without FL, i don't really need healing journey. gotd makes up for it a bit, and if a dog dies, i might replace one in the gotd thanks to 1.04...

46k hp, 4k armor with enchantress, 400's RA, 21/334 crit, 725 LoH, +12 globe radius

gruesome feast can push me to 65k dps. the goal is to kill everything before dogs die and pick up globes as they drop. (it works if a party member picks up the globe, so this build is more useful in multiplayer... might switch a passive out for bad medicine in that case.

i miss my life steal tho :(
Edited by Terihlon#1660 on 9/8/2012 11:31 PM PDT
do pets benefit from Life on Hit?
09/08/2012 11:16 PMPosted by TheMailMan
do pets benefit from Life on Hit?

read the first post in this thread.
Bought the Skysplitter. Really nice weapon with guaranteed 400-500 life regen.

It's pretty cheap too. About 2 million I think.

I was looking to get one too. But haven't found one with good dps like your for only 2 mill. They are pretty cheao though.

I dropped FL to get PtV, changed my dog back to leeching and that combination seems to work fine. My dps increase is huge and I noticable kill faster. After some backs I have to re-summon, but I never have the skill on CD and no pets.

@Terilon - why change to Acid Cloud after getting a 2-hander? And doesn't it feel awefully slow? Everytime I try a 2-hander I end up back where I am, 1-hand and mojo as the cast-animation just kills me.
I'm looking for ways to increase the dps of pet builds, but I am at a loss, so that's why I went with what other Witch Doctors are doing and think of crit chance/crit damage.

How about sycophants? Do you think getting as many pets as possible is the natural way to increase the dps of pet builds? More dps through sheer volume?

I find sycophants to be awful, and we don't have a good cooldown reducer for elite and boss fights.

A skorn with max bleed and upping your own dps, using burning dogs and big stinker (no he doesn't proc, but it will still do the most overall damage), is the max you can do with pets.

With skorn I am able to get up to about 1/4 of the dogs former damage, and the math on the bleed bears that out.

You could try to do thorns for the rest, but honestly I don't think it's worth the effort, and I certainly wouldn't sac more than 10% of other stats for the full 20k.

They killed pets as potential damage dealers, and clearly spelled them out to be a distraction for the WD. They had good reason, but they were also being lazy, and could have separated bleed procs from others, and they didn't have to make them viable for every joe schmo WD who doesn't even give 2 craps about their survival. But ah well.
Does anyone knows or tested if the Zombie Dogs and/or Gargantuan benefit from wearing the 1.0.4 Bul-Kathos's Wedding Band ring? Because it now has the unique feature "You drain life from enemies around", I was wondering if Fierce Loyalty works on that.

Anyway - Peter: Thanks for the updated 1.0.4 information on Pet Doctors.

Cheers!
Does anyone knows or tested if the Zombie Dogs and/or Gargantuan benefit from wearing the 1.0.4 Bul-Kathos's Wedding Band ring? Because it now has the unique feature "You drain life from enemies around", I was wondering if Fierce Loyalty works on that.

Anyway - Peter: Thanks for the updated 1.0.4 information on Pet Doctors.

Cheers!

No problem, as for the answer to your question, man I really have no idea. I'll need to test with legendary items, and I don't have enough money to test all possible legendary item effects.
Hmm ok so bleed with burning dogs, and thorns for pets.

Do 2H weapons have more overall damage than a 1H weapon with mojo?
Another item that could be worth checking out is the 1.0.4 band of hollow whispers. It has a chance to haunt nearby enemies. The spell effect looks kinda like the actual spell haunt.
If I had the gold I would like to test a bleed/thorns build with skorn but it will be a long time before that happens.
I did not know that hellrack had bleed. Also the point wasn't 2 shotting everything. Like I stated before I want to play a pet build not a bear build.
09/08/2012 07:57 PMPosted by BenRichardSO
I use pets and they never really die... I have 66k DPS also.

What is that +0.21 attack per second in your Legendary weapon? I see quite a few people using that Axe.
Oh my goodness, my world has been rocked.

I bought a 1H and 2H weapon, both have exactly 900 dps.

I used Haunt as a test spell.

The 2H weapon caused more Haunt damage than the 1H weapon.

All this time I thought ability damage was based on that dps number on the character sheet.

This means that, 2H weapons may be better for us than 1H and Mojo.
09/09/2012 06:07 AMPosted by FallofKings
Another item that could be worth checking out is the 1.0.4 band of hollow whispers. It has a chance to haunt nearby enemies. The spell effect looks kinda like the actual spell haunt.

I have that ring. The damage of Haunt doesn't seem to scale with INT. Some people in Barb's forum say a Legendary axe with storm Reactive armor proc scales with their STR?

Anyway, Haunt ticks about 2000-2200 twice every second. The damage is ok in act 1 and 2 but not enough in act 3 IMO especially you don't get +INT on that ring. The +VIT and AR are nice though.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]