Diablo® III

Pet Guide (Patch 1.0.4 to 1.0.5) - old

Killed diablo no problem. I got caught by the bone prison once but spirit walk was up so it was no big deal. The giant lightning hose thing in phase 3 didn't even kill my gargantuan. Never had to re-cast my gargantuan even with my ghost in phase 2 using bears. Dogs died a few times.
Hi, peter
here is another weapon have Life Regan. :)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/last-breath

[quote]
Skysplitter has life regen which is probably a good pet build weapon. Is that why you bought it?

Haha yes, I never knew a weapon would have Life Regen, nevermind such a huge amount. Easily 2-3 gear's worth of Life Regen. This frees up the need to get life regen on other gear and I can focus on other stats. Thanks to FallofKings introducing it in this thread.
Hi, peter
here is another weapon have Life Regan. :)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/last-breath

Ah yeah I saw it. But because I don't use confusion, I thought it might be a wasted stat.

But it can have 2 random magic properties. Maybe I should have gone for that.
I am pretty sure the proc from skysplitter also stuns. Only problem I have with that knife is cost. I looked up one with almost the same stats as my skysplitter and it had 100 less dps and cost over 3 times as much.
took a short break to play around with my DH... i didn't realize that you could find such amazing items with -15 lvl req. at 45, i picked up a 800+ dmg weap from AH. ... and with the trail of cinders doing 5x the intended damage (and a fix in the works for 1.05), i just cartwheel'ed my way to hell. hilariously fun.

43 pickup radius with goldfind is fun :) ... getting almost the whole screen

anyway, i wonder what 60 pickup radius would be like with the frog offhand... and all of those WD passives that rely on pickup...
@Jibikao, don't feel so bad about being poor. I am almost paragon 18 and I don't even have 2 million gold to my name lol I too can only drool at the gears available. Only ever got 3 lvl60+ legendary items farming with my WD.

Hmmm I was wondering if I should continue farming act3 with about +71 MF or might it be better to do act2 with all MF gear? When I load up to about +170 MF gear, I die a lot in a3 not to mention it's so slow killing, but breeze through easily with my regular gear but the drops suck most of the time.

I have found that I now love using a mojo instead of my shield and switched from Fetish Pys to PtV and it's MUCH better and faster for me. I hardly ever die unless I take extreme risk wanting to kill faster. I tried using my CK with 100%+ crit dmg which raises my overall DPS to 40K but it doesn't have LS or LoH and very risky when globes don't drop regularly. So sticking with my current wep for a bit more safety margin of error and slightly slower kill rate.
I'm gonna try the dot build, using a 2H. I think it could be the best dps for a pet build.
Edited by Peter#1403 on 9/10/2012 1:43 AM PDT
09/10/2012 01:42 AMPosted by Peter
I'm gonna try the dot build, using a 2H. I think it could be the best dps for a pet build.

don't forget that mojos add to your base damage. ... so they can be reasonably close. it's really a matter of the stats

don't forget that mojos add to your base damage. ... so they can be reasonably close. it's really a matter of the stats

Yeah I just, don't know how to proceed.

As I play a Co-op, I wonder, what does the Witch Doctor Pet Build bring to the table, that distinguishes it from the other classes?

Pets? DoTs? Thorns seem lackluster in co-op because there is a good chance you get a barbarian or a monk to tank for you.
Edited by Peter#1403 on 9/10/2012 5:22 AM PDT
09/10/2012 05:21 AMPosted by Peter
As I play a Co-op, I wonder, what does the Witch Doctor Pet Build bring to the table, that distinguishes it from the other classes?

IMO - Cc... you can argue that Pets are a sort of Cc as well, but I wouldn't say pets are importent in co-op play.
09/10/2012 03:59 AMPosted by Terihlon

I'm not sure that's true Terihlon.

Say you have a 1H+Mojo setup and a 2H setup and they both list your DPS in your character sheet as 1000 (for an easy number). Assume the 2H is a mace (slowest 0.90 attack speed) while the 1H is a CK with 1.4 attack speed. This means the 1H+Mojo combo has an average hit of 1000/1.4 = ~714. The 2H has an average hit of 1000/0.90 = 1,111.

Since DoTs are all normalized as if the weapon had a speed of 2.0s, the 2H is basically doing 1111/714 = ~1.56 or about 56% more damage even though the DPS value in the character sheet says they should both be doing the same 1000 DPS.

The stat differences between 1H+Mojo vs. 2H are pretty insignificant IMO. They can roll almost the same total primary stats (assuming the Mojo has a socket with a good primary stat gem in it). The 2H can roll 100% more crit damage while the Mojo can roll 8.5% crit (which is better depends on how much crit damage and crit the player already has). The 1H+Mojo can have up to +28 mana regen while the 2H simply casts slower but hits harder so you don't burn through your mana as fast. The 1H+Mojo allows for better stutter step style kiting while the 2H shines in a "joust" situation where you only have time to deliver one blow so it needs to hit as hard as possible.

IMO it goes like this:

2H is better for DoTs or sacrifice builds.

1H+Mojo is better for builds that use primary attacks that are meant to be spammed or LoH based builds.

It's probably a wash for Bear/Bat type builds and up to player preference.
09/10/2012 05:21 AMPosted by Peter

Pets? DoTs? Thorns seem lackluster in co-op because there is a good chance you get a barbarian or a monk to tank for you.

Depends on how strong the group you are playing with is because in weaker groups pets are still great for tanking and distracting. They also work well with groups of Wiz/DH where there's no natural tank. Not sure about Barbs but most Monks can't be the only tank in Act 3/4.
Folks, I justed tested, and pet damage is based on your dps on your character sheet, not weapon damage.

For all 4 tests, the following are constant:
Level: 60(15)
Crit Chance: 5%
Crit Damage: 50%

I tested pet dps against either a Risen or a Walking Corpse, both found in Inferno Act 1.

"Crits" count as 1.5 hits for calculation purposes.

Test 1: Zombie Dog vs Risen, using 1H weapon
Weapon used:
1H Axe
900 dps
426-958 damage
1.30 attacks/s

Character Sheet dps: 3062.72

Life lost by Risen: 6628
Number of hits by dog: 26
Number of crits by dog: 1
Total hits: 27.5
Average Damage per hit: 241.02 (7.87% of character sheet dps)
Risen damage range: 145 to 408
Risen crit damage numbers: 389

Test 2: Zombie Dog vs Risen, using 2H weapon
Weapon used:
2H Axe
900 dps
690-1110 damage
1.00 attacks/s

Character sheet dps: 3062.70

Life lost by Risen: 7414
Number of hits by dog: 28
Number of crits by dog: 1
Total hits: 29.5
Average Damage per hit: 251.32 (8.21% of character sheet dps)
Risen damage range: 174 to 344
Risen crit damage numbers: 329

Despite having the same dps (900), but different damage ranges, the average damage per hit from a 1H weapon and 2H weapon are 7.87% and 8.21% respectively. The tooltip of the Zombie Dog says that it does 9% of "weapon damage", but that is untrue and it actually takes ~9% of our character's dps. This is inline with pets taking the character's armor and resistances.

Test 3: Gargantuan vs Walking Corpse, using 1H weapon
Weapon used:
1H Mace
300 dps
162-338 damage
1.20 attacks/s

Character sheet dps: 1020.90

Life lost by Walking Corpse: 30883
Number of hits by Gargantuan: 23
Number of crits by Gargantuan: 5
Total hits: 30.5
Average Damage per hit: 1012.56 (99.18% of character sheet dps)
Risen damage range: 652 to 1333
Risen crit damage numbers: 1108, 1260, 1866, 1685, 991

Test 4: Gargantuan vs Walking Corpse, using 2H weapon
Weapon used:
2H Staff
300 dps
230-370 damage
1.00 attacks/s

Character sheet dps: 1020.90

Life lost by Walking Corpse: 28487
Number of hits by Gargantuan: 26
Number of crits by Gargantuan: 2
Total hits: 29
Average Damage per hit: 982.31 (96.22% of character sheet dps)
Risen damage range: 774 to 1221
Risen crit damage numbers: 1193, 1810

Same as the tests with the dog vs Risen, despite using weapons with the same dps (300) but different damage ranges, the Gargantuan does close to 100% of the character sheet dps.

Conclusion: Pet damage is derived from character sheet dps, not weapon damage.

The only thing I cannot figure out is how they calculated the damage range of pets.
Edited by Peter#1403 on 9/10/2012 9:28 AM PDT

I do public team a lot and act 3 has been quite hard as monsters with a full team seem to hit harder and they take a long time to kill.

I see a lot of Wizard/DHs and they all want to have a tank. It's funny 'cause I was the only WD and they said that there are so many WWs Barbs out there and they can care less about tanking. They actually like my pets taking aggro for those glass-cannons.

If you team a lot, I think sturdy pet build is a welcoming thing. There are a lot of high-damage Wizard/DHs out there.
Folks, I justed tested, and pet damage is based on your dps on your character sheet, not weapon damage.

Thank you for taking the time to test and confirm! I did a small test earlier and big bad voodoo increases your attack speed by 20% (but not increasing your damage) and you can tell pets hit HARDER (not faster). Your test confirms that Pets get your DPS and not from base "weapon damage", which is a GOOD thing.

But DoT spells take more from your weapon damage.
Edited by Jibikao#1131 on 9/10/2012 9:28 AM PDT
lol I find it funny that Witch Doctors are the tanks now ahead of barbarians.

Yeah need to do a lot of testing because there are a lot of inconsistencies. Ability damage is based on weapon damage, except pets. You assume that pet damage is based on weapon damage, like what the tooltip says, but nope.

I pretty much decide what I want to focus on Well of Souls. I am trying to add more damage from Voodoo or Grasp. I change depending on the team setting as I team a lot.

Well of Souls is pretty good. My problem is my base damage is not high enough. With a +12% SB property, my main soul can already critical over 100K with my pathetic +critical damage. I see potential in it but I just don't have good enough gear.

if you are dead set on using 3 skills to accomplish what a primary attack should, then yes: you will have to vastly improve your gear to compensate. let us know how it goes!

09/09/2012 05:42 PMPosted by agentj73
I know how to dodge molten. It just does a ton of dmg at long range. And they fire it non stop.

Assuming the mobs are clumped and don't have affixes that are dangerous at melee range, you can stand next to them to avoid mortar. it also helps to have run speed. you'll be able to get a cast in every time you move. jaunt might help if you need a longer immunity to get damage in. cc also helps

Well of Souls is not that bad. 230% on main target and 3x65% on others or on the main target or split between the two-three targets if you stand close enough. You can direct all 4 fours on the same target for 425% spammable attack. The only problem is I have to stand somewhat close (around 20' radius). I took Blood and Rush of Essence. Ideally, I only want to take Rush of Essence but I can't afford a good Manajuma with +mana and I don't even dare to think about a 4-piece Z set for +20 mana regen. With two +mana regen, I think I can drop Blood Ritual. Fortitude is just an extra layer of safety for me. I wouldn't call it a "waste". :P

As for Mortar, this one is extremely annoying if it also has Fire Chain affix because monsters are programmed to run "in circle" and they keep moving and Mortar is shooting everywhere. Mortar is not bad if the monsters don't move around much. Mortar on "range" AI monsters like those Quills are super annoying 'cause they run back and forth which makes the distance of Mortar hard to judge.

I find Teleport and Fire Chain the hardest because they bypass my pets' tanking.
Edited by Jibikao#1131 on 9/10/2012 9:46 AM PDT
Peter- I remember reading that pet damage does scale with attack speed by making them hit harder rather than more often, so that seems to agree with your findings. It is very odd the way Blizz chose to calculate damage from different types of spells.
Well of Souls is not that bad. 230% on main target and 3x65% on others or on the main target or split between the two-three targets if you stand close enough. You can direct all 4 fours on the same target for 425% spammable attack. The only problem is I have to stand somewhat close (around 20' radius). I took Blood and Rush of Essence. Ideally, I only want to take Rush of Essence but I can't afford a good Manajuma with +mana and I don't even dare to think about a 4-piece Z set for +20 mana regen. With two +mana regen, I think I can drop Blood Ritual. Fortitude is just an extra layer of safety for me. I wouldn't call it a "waste". :P

As for Mortar, this one is extremely annoying if it also has Fire Chain affix because monsters are programmed to run "in circle" and they keep moving and Mortar is shooting everywhere. Mortar is not bad if the monsters don't move around much. Mortar on "range" AI monsters like those Quills are super annoying 'cause they run back and forth which makes the distance of Mortar hard to judge.

I find Teleport and Fire Chain the hardest because they bypass my pets' tanking.

Having experimented with builds like what you're trying to do, can I suggest http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#gRSXUT!cfU!Z.YbcY for you to try? Given your stats and gear I think horrify might work better than dogs for you, and you have a big hole in your build where your area damage should be. If you have a hard time placing corpse bomb efficiently you could also try acid rain. Big stinker will also put out more AoE DPS. The play style will be a bit different but the overall damage should be better. Just focus on getting your gargantuan to block doorways or stand around a corner/behind an obstruction and get him to play interference on mobs.
Hello all. I have not posted here before, but I've been following, and making use of, Peter's excellent work since version 1 of the pet guide.

Since I have not seen this mentioned here before, I wanted to write up a way I found to recreate the old CC lockdown we used to enjoy in 1.03. Here goes:

I've finally managed to achieve my goal of permanent lockdown, which I've been trying to recreate ever since 1.04 hit. I wasn't going to give up just because they nerfed pet proc rates! The ability to lock down everything in sight was just too amazing to simply forget about. So, I focused on the two abilities that work on everything in the game, freeze and stun, and went to work. I started with freeze experiments, but those didn't quite achieve my desired effect of permanent lockdown. Now though, I've arrived at my goal.

You can see my current WD set up in my profile. Or here: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/EnderWard-1214/hero/6308302

Freeze:
14.1% weapon
4.2% belt
18.3% chance to freeze on hit total.

Stun:
4.6% amulet
4.5% gloves
2.2% mojo
11.3% chance to stun on hit total.

Essentially, this provides 29.6% chance to apply a debilitating effect that stops a target from doing whatever it was doing.

This works on everything in the game, but varies in duration based on the class of creature. As expected, act bosses suffer the shortest stun duration, while white mobs can stand there stunned or frozen for multiple seconds. Yet even the short stun duration on act bosses interrupts whatever actions they were taking. Freeze works a bit differently, in that even act bosses can be held frozen for multiple seconds at a time, and only come out of a freeze for half a second or so, only to be frozen again. When freeze and stun, at high percent chance, are combined with Rain of Toads (and the infrequent procs from the zombie dogs and Grasp of the Dead), almost everything in sight can be permanently disabled.

Now, this whole set up relies entirely on the high proc chance and self-stacking nature of Rain of Toads. But frankly I don't care how I get to apply the debilitating effects, as long as I can kill the disabled things relatively quickly.

But the beauty of this set up is that, due to the safety it affords, you can actually kill very quickly. You do not need a shield, because things rarely get to hit you. So getting a mojo for a massive damage boost is a no-brainer. The other reason for the effectiveness of this set up is the wall of pets. Other classes, even if they had access to Rain of Toads, could not replicate this way of playing. The Pet Wall is half the reason you are rarely in real danger. Annoyingly, Rain of Toads spam has the tendency to leave some parts of the screen unfrozen and not stunned! In this situation, an impassable pet wall between you and things not yet disabled is extremely valuable.

That only leaves the teleporting stuff. The pet wall doesn't help if that elite Demonic Tremor teleports right on top of you. Here's when Grasp of the Dead comes in handy. Casting it on your own location and moving a few steps away, gives you ample time to start RoT spam on your new least-friendly creature, which becomes frozen or stunned shortly after.

So, to anyone contemplating a run through Inferno with a Witch Doctor, I highly recommend the freeze/stun/pet doctor way. It's not expensive either: I see the equivalents of the equipment I used (though lower DPS Azurewrath) from 10k to 400k a piece.

Though you may only end up at 20-25k DPS (I am at 25k unbuffed), this is not a true representation of your damage output . Attacking so quickly, you are able to stack Rain of Toads with itself many times, to generate incredible damage ticks (I see ticks in the 33-36k range).
Remember that you also have Soul Harvest available - as it raises my own DPS by a whopping 9k, I find it absolutely indispensable. And finally, remember that things that are stunned or frozen don't go anywhere, and thus take the full brunt of the damage from your heavily stacked Rain of Toads.

With this set up, it's possible to comfortably farm Inferno Diablo himself. If one is willing to stomach the multiphase tedium. I am not, so I stick to Act 3. It is a comfortable stroll in the park, as opposed to a challenge, ever since it occurred to me to add some, and then a lot of, stun and freeze on hit.

Thank you for reading.
Edited by EnderWard#1214 on 9/10/2012 2:37 PM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]