Diablo® III

Pet Guide (Patch 1.0.4 to 1.0.5) - old

The new legendaries really opened up some new (or in this case, old?) builds. Nice job EnderWard!

I miss my old CC pet build so it's cool to know it's still possible.

Having experimented with builds like what you're trying to do, can I suggest http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#gRSXUT!cfU!Z.YbcY for you to try? Given your stats and gear I think horrify might work better than dogs for you, and you have a big hole in your build where your area damage should be. If you have a hard time placing corpse bomb efficiently you could also try acid rain. Big stinker will also put out more AoE DPS. The play style will be a bit different but the overall damage should be better. Just focus on getting your gargantuan to block doorways or stand around a corner/behind an obstruction and get him to play interference on mobs.

I like Well of Souls even if it's not doing Zombie Bear damage. I just want to be a bit different I guess and it does have very good damage potential if I stand within 20' radius and I can shoot through any obstacle on the map.

I really wish they could have increased the radius for Well of Souls as well to match Manitou's 30' radius. That way I don't have to stand that close.

Yes, I lack good aoe damage and that's why I took Grasp. I like Grasp because it also has snare and it's good to help glass-cannons on the back.

What I don't like is elites/champions teleporting to me. I have a hard time dealing with elite monsters chasing me when I can't shake off the aggro.

I like Dogs. They can really attract a lot of aggro because they run faster than Garg. I just feel if I can get my dps close to 40K, I should be able to do act 3 well. I mean I can still do act 3, it's just not fast. I can do act 2 pretty well but act 2 doesn't drop i63 set items. (It's not like I have any luck with set item! Over 380 hours of playing, ZERO set item drop, not even low level ones).

Ideally, I need to kill at least one or two monster from the elite group during 20s when Fetish Army/Voodoo is active. My DPS isn't not at that point yet.
Edited by Jibikao#1131 on 9/10/2012 2:05 PM PDT

You can see my current WD set up in my profile. Or here: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/EnderWard-1214/hero/6308302

Freeze:
14.1% weapon
4.2% belt
18.3% chance to freeze on hit total.

Stun:
4.6% amulet
4.5% gloves
2.2% mojo
11.3% chance to stun on hit total.

Essentially, this provides 29.6% chance to apply a debilitating effect that stops a target from doing whatever it was doing.

I was browsing all the newly improved Legendary and when I saw that Legendary sword, I knew somebody would use it for Proc Doctor. That sword is actually pretty cheap because it has pretty low damage (due to having +cold).

Good job.

I envy that even with that low damage sword, you have more dps than I do. T_T

Do those two rings add a lot of damage? I know I am not using Pierce the Veil but I still only have about 26K unbuffed. I can't seem to find the formula for higher DPS without +critical damage which I can't afford. Maybe I should look for those +damage rings. Too bad I can't search that in AH right? I just need to scroll through them.
Edited by Jibikao#1131 on 9/10/2012 2:23 PM PDT

I was browsing all the newly improved Legendary and when I saw that Legendary sword, I knew somebody would use it for Proc Doctor. That sword is actually pretty cheap because it has pretty low damage (due to having +cold).

Good job.

I envy that even with that low damage sword, you have more dps than I do. T_T

Do those two rings add a lot of damage? I know I am not using Pierce the Veil but I still only have about 26K unbuffed. I can't seem to find the formula for higher DPS without +critical damage which I can't afford. Maybe I should look for those +damage rings. Too bad I can't search that in AH right? I just need to scroll through them.

Thanks.

But I made a slight error, you actually have more DPS than I do. My 27k "base" was actually from before I got the stun amulet. My precise base DPS, unbuffed, is 25,336. It becomes 36000 with a full Soul Harvest stack. I've updated my profile and it now shows my base, unbuffed DPS. But of course if you use Soul Harvest you're never really at that base level - even in act boss fights you always have at least a single stack, which for me means 2k more DPS.

That said, yes, the +damage rings help a great deal. They are like the +damage found on mojos, adding directly to your weapon damage, which is then boosted by your intelligence. You can search for them in the Auction House, under "average damage".
Edited by EnderWard#1214 on 9/10/2012 2:44 PM PDT
Does "any percent" of life regen gear work on pet if I dont' use the fierce loyalty skill?

Meaning if I have 2000 life regen, without fierce loyalty my pet still only have the 142 default regen? or they get more?
If you had to choose between these 2 shields which one would you use?

option 1:
1113 Armor
194 Strength
192 Int
73 All resist

option 2:
1294 Armor
89 Int
72 Vit
68 All resist
202 life regen
Does "any percent" of life regen gear work on pet if I dont' use the fierce loyalty skill?

Meaning if I have 2000 life regen, without fierce loyalty my pet still only have the 142 default regen? or they get more?

If you don't take Loyalty, your pets don't get any life regen at all from you. They still have their natural regen which is new to 1.04? I don't remember them having natural regen back in 1.03.

Pet's default regen is 142?

If you don't take Loyalty, your pets don't get any life regen at all from you. They still have their natural regen which is new to 1.04? I don't remember them having natural regen back in 1.03.

Pet's default regen is 142?

It's weird because I dropped fierce loyalty but my pet is still tanking quite good. I have 1700 or so life regen now without fierce loyalty, and it tank better than before when i have 600 life regen with fierce loyalty.

This guide says dog's default regen is 142. Grangun have 300 or something.
Edited by laokoko14#3736 on 9/10/2012 4:26 PM PDT
If you had to choose between these 2 shields which one would you use?

option 1:
1113 Armor
194 Strength
192 Int
73 All resist

option 2:
1294 Armor
89 Int
72 Vit
68 All resist
202 life regen

If you are dieing use shield 2 if not use shield 1 =). Only person that can answer is yourself. But I'd use a mojo. I never tried your build, but I'm using a build from another thread zombie bear, gruesome feast, grave something skill build.

with only 22k dps, 1700 life regen, 47k hp I can farm act 3 easily and fast enough. I use plague of toad and dog for more survivability. You should check that thread out. title is10k hp, 1000 resist WD streaming or something like that. Ya and use a mojo if possible, I think shield is overkill for defense.
Like I have stated before I want to play a pet build not a bear or something else build. I tried getting my health and up to 41k and using a mojo but my pets died way too frequently for my liking.
you can also trying to get some regen from other slot. Pant or belt. It might get expensive though.

It's weird because I dropped fierce loyalty but my pet is still tanking quite good. I have 1700 or so life regen now without fierce loyalty, and it tank better than before when i have 600 life regen with fierce loyalty.

I think Loyalty is not a very good passive now. If you have decent armor/AR (around 500?), your pets can survive pretty well even without Loyalty. If you want pets to survive better, get either Fortitude or Handler so you don't need to worry about gearing Life Regen for your pets.

I've always thought it's a waste to get Loyalty without getting Thorn. You only utilize half of what the Tactic does. :(

If you survive better than before, did you upgrade your VIT, Armor and AR?

A cheap way to give your pets regen is through Blood Ritual if you also need mana discount.
Edited by Jibikao#1131 on 9/10/2012 5:35 PM PDT

I think Loyalty is not a very good passive now. If you have decent armor/AR (around 500?), your pets can survive pretty well even without Loyalty. If you want pets to survive better, get either Fortitude or Handler so you don't need to worry about gearing Life Regen for your pets.

I've always thought it's a waste to get Loyalty without getting Thorn. You only utilize half of what the Tactic does. :(

If you survive better than before, did you upgrade your VIT, Armor and AR?

A cheap way to give your pets regen is through Blood Ritual if you also need mana discount.

I just tested it, without fierce loyalty Non of the regen on my item work. I think I get the illusion that my pet is dieing slower, it is just me killing faster than before so my pet don't die as often.

I just tested it, without fierce loyalty Non of the regen on my item work. I think I get the illusion that my pet is dieing slower, it is just me killing faster than before so my pet don't die as often.

Exactly. The 1.04 way is to gear more for your own personal damage while having "ok" survival. The old pet-doc were running way too much survival at the expense of damage.

One of the posters (previous page) has a good CC pet build with decent damage.
Edited by Jibikao#1131 on 9/10/2012 6:00 PM PDT
sold my skorn and picked up a couple maximus's... one for me and one for my enchantress.. it procs really often. like every fight both demons are out. it's hard for me to say how the dps is. i'm not sure that the character sheet calculates in the 25% fire dmg... and i'm using a lot of fire spells.
09/10/2012 06:00 PMPosted by Jibikao

Since you probably mean me, I want to emphasize that the damage is more than decent. Playing right now, with a full Soul Harvest stack, I'm seeing 37-42k ticks with Rain of Toads (tested on a Sin Heart, which the pets don't attack). That's twice a second.

Although I suppose 36.7k buffed "on paper" DPS would be considered decent for people with 50-100k DPS. I just don't see much of a point in trying to push this much further, when I'm already killing things very quickly in A3, but also get to enjoy near-total control of the battlefield.

It should also be noted that, as can be seen in my profile, I'm wearing MF gear. If one didn't care for MF, but went for pure killing power, the build could be pushed significantly further in terms of DPS.
Edited by EnderWard#1214 on 9/10/2012 6:50 PM PDT
09/10/2012 06:20 PMPosted by Terihlon
sold my skorn and picked up a couple maximus's... one for me and one for my enchantress.. it procs really often. like every fight both demons are out. it's hard for me to say how the dps is. i'm not sure that the character sheet calculates in the 25% fire dmg... and i'm using a lot of fire spells.

Wow.. awesome idea. Two Fire Demons out. I like.

Maybe I should run a Hungry Bats build. lol For some odd reasons, I like projectiles that home except the Bats are way worse than Well of Souls. They can't go through certain obstacles and they seek out to destroy Objects as well. What a waste of 122 mana on objects.
09/10/2012 06:50 PMPosted by EnderWard

Since you probably mean me, I want to emphasize that the damage is more than decent. Playing right now, with a full Soul Harvest stack, I'm seeing 37-42k ticks with Rain of Toads (tested on a Sin Heart, which the pets don't attack). That's twice a second.

Although I suppose 36.7k buffed "on paper" DPS would be considered decent for people with 50-100k DPS. I just don't see much of a point in trying to push this much further, when I'm already killing things very quickly in A3, but also get to enjoy near-total control of the battlefield.

It should also be noted that, as can be seen in my profile, I'm wearing MF gear. If one didn't care for MF, but went for pure killing power, the build could be pushed significantly further in terms of DPS.

I agree with your DPS which i am currently trying to achieve... a lot of gear upgrade.
I played mostly in public... in Act 3... i am probably the last person against elite... unless this once in a blue moon, vortex, molten, jailer, frozen creature appears. I think i can still avoid... just my lousy skill...

With soul harvest... and LOH with RoT... and leech from dogs... it's hard to die...
For teleport creature, I will just recast my dogs nearer for them to take the dmg... SH and RoT, move back if molten... Still good...

we WD are good-tankers as I see Barb and Monk keeps dying...
I saw Terihlon's demon just now. Looked almost as big as the Gargantuan.

I also tried using Fetish Sycophants, and it felt... fun. I'm already using 2 spells that will trigger it, so it was a nice synergy.
Edited by Peter#1403 on 9/11/2012 9:44 AM PDT
Just adding my 2cents. I was able to clear (1 shot) inferno diablo last night after buying slightly better than crappy gear. pets are a great tanks and rarely die now except the big hammer things with like 6 legs. they can still one shot the dogs for some reason. I can comfortably farm act 3 and 4. my playstyle centers around LoH and regen.

my ~ stats are

21khp (low)
1800 life regen
1200 LoH
4.5k armor
27k dps with scoundrel

i think those are the only ones that matter. If i get hit, i usually have my Rain of toads going so i get life back almost instantly. regardless, just +1'ing the pet build. it took me far and i think i can farm now for better gear totally comfortable.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]