fire stuff, enhanced by maximus

firebomb: roll the bones
searing locusts
burning dogs
spirit walk: umbral shock

humongoid garg for cleave
ptv
zombie handler

gruesome feast and soul harvest: vengeful spirit (or gotd death is life)

i usually try to run in and SH, then spirit walk out (the body left behind blows everything up). i go in again for orbs.. and my 25k dps turns into 60k (including SH)

enchantress also has maximus, armor buff, and speed buff.

the demons proc all the time. almost every fight... reminds me of the first time i got the revives in d2.. such awesome pets!

in inferno a4, i need to swap out ptv and gruesome feast for JF and FL
Edited by Terihlon#1660 on 9/11/2012 8:50 PM PDT

I think Loyalty is not a very good passive now. If you have decent armor/AR (around 500?), your pets can survive pretty well even without Loyalty. If you want pets to survive better, get either Fortitude or Handler so you don't need to worry about gearing Life Regen for your pets.

I've always thought it's a waste to get Loyalty without getting Thorn. You only utilize half of what the Tactic does. :(

If you survive better than before, did you upgrade your VIT, Armor and AR?

A cheap way to give your pets regen is through Blood Ritual if you also need mana discount.

I dropped FL for PtV and my pets die mcuh faster to plagued and desecrate. I still have JF and Handler and got 5k armor (with the enchantress) and my lowest resist is 511 while most are around 600.

So I droppped Handler for FL and boom no more pets dying - only got 1k regen atm.

Don't know what to make of that - as I like you feel that FL is a wasted passive. Hanlder gives slightly more dps (due to one more dog) but my pets die far mor often.

Probably going to try out hex or mass confusion after the patch. Anyone got any thoughts on doing more CC anfter 1.05?
i'm waiting for 1.05 for cc, yeah.
A question.

Now that proc rate for burning dogs has been reduced... what exactly is the effect of that on LoH? Is that totally nerfed? Is the same percentage applied to life on hit? i.e 1/20 of your loh value?
A question.

Now that proc rate for burning dogs has been reduced... what exactly is the effect of that on LoH? Is that totally nerfed? Is the same percentage applied to life on hit? i.e 1/20 of your loh value?

Yes it should be reduced by the same amount as the coefficient nerf.
Edited by Peter#1403 on 9/12/2012 12:41 AM PDT
It's kinda weird having the gold to buy stuff and actually finding decent stuff. I actually have options as far as gear goes now. On that note I want to get opinions on bracers and off-hand options I have.

Bracers-
Option 1:
75 int
137 vit
42 lightning resist
72 all resists
202 thorns dmg
3% crit

Option 2:
72 dex
75 int
45 vit
154 life regen
673 thorns dmg
3.5% crit
4% reduced damage from ranged attacks

Off-hand-
Option 1: 1113 armor
194 str
192 int
73 all resists
+9% chance to block
5% reduced damage from melee attacks
7% reduced damage from elites

Option 2: 1294 armor
82 int
72 vit
32 poison resist
68 all resists
202 life regen

Option 3: 91-337 dmg
64 dex
132 int
+9% life
234 life regen
117 mana
1 socket
Option 1 for bracers.
Option 1 for shield, though are those numbers right? I think you got amazing rolls for str, int and all resists there!
It's a stormshield that someone posted for 500k on the AH. I had been looking at them for a few days and the highest int i had found was about 110 and it was over 1mil. Saw this one pop up for 500k and had to buy it.
Good offensive shield, though no vitality. I guess option 1 for more dps, option 2 for more defense.
I am currently at 35k health, 27k damage, 1586 life regen, 6082 armor (with enchantress), lower resist is cold at 686, highest resist is poison at 768, and the other resists fall in between those 2 with none below 700.
Yeah go dps and farm Act 3. Shield option 1.
Here's my build I used to finally beat Diablo inferno.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#SRYTUZ!Wea!YbZccc

This is not quite the same build as I used to get to Diablo, I'll list that one later. Here are my reasonings:

I mostly wanted a kiting build since my stats are not extreme. I have always used pets to keep mobs away from me, and without trash mobs to kill for health globes I knew that I'd be looking to avoid damage.

Firebomb: Pyrogeist - fire and forget
Acid Cloud: Slowburn - fire and forget
Dogs: Final Gift - with Dogs actually dying, this was a free way to get health globes
Gargantuan: Bruiser - for the stun
Spirit Walk: Healing Journey - get out of there and re-heal at the same time.
Grasp: Rain of Corpses - I tried several skills here, but none I really liked. This one was mostly for the fire-and-forget, plus extra damage even without having to stay inside the circle. It could hit even when Diablo was off-screen.
Pierce the Veil - for the damage buff. I wasn't spamming skills like bears, so I wanted the dps.
Jungle Fortitude - keep the meatshields alive
Spirit Vessel - the SAVE-MY-BACON skill

This build was focused on single-target, long-range damage.

My normal build here:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#SRYTUd!WeY!aZcZcZ
This build is specifically focused on increasing damage output. How much can I buff myself? That's the question this build aims to answer. And I could go from 40k unbuffed to 90k damage with this.
In response to Weesheng. I want to play a pet build not a build with pets in it like yours which is why I am geared differently from you. Well the build you are currently using is no doubt effective it doesn't fit what i'm looking for. Which is why I copied the build Peter is using. Everything I am currently using cost approximately 5 mil give or take a little.
How is fetish sycophants working out for you?
not worth the slot, IMO.
09/12/2012 03:53 PMPosted by FallofKings
How is fetish sycophants working out for you?

09/12/2012 08:03 PMPosted by Terihlon
not worth the slot, IMO.

They seem fun and add some defense, because they can handle the stragglers and they are almost invulnerable.

They are good for open areas, but not so for confined spaces, because there is not enough surface area for all your minions to attack.

Also too random. Sometimes I can have anywhere from no fetishes to 6 fetishes at the same time.

They do ~20% of your damage each.
Edited by Peter#1403 on 9/13/2012 12:30 AM PDT
I don't think I noticed any real dedication to the ideas of Thorn Pet builds.

It's pretty awesome with the way pet's survive now. Any melee unit that cleaves, instantly gets wailed on for 15k x 5, 6 if I'm there.

Throw on Acid Rain, and Plague of Locusts, some LoH, and things are looking pretty good.
I don't think I noticed any real dedication to the ideas of Thorn Pet builds.

It's pretty awesome with the way pet's survive now. Any melee unit that cleaves, instantly gets wailed on for 15k x 5, 6 if I'm there.

Throw on Acid Rain, and Plague of Locusts, some LoH, and things are looking pretty good.

It's just, if you can get 10k thorns, wouldn't you do better with 10k raw dps?

Thorns cannot help you kill treasure goblins, ranged and caster mobs. So it is very limited.
does thorns still proc life? or was that changed in 1.04?
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]