Diablo® III

Read-only Auction House API

(Locked)

Another thread received a one-word Blue response ('No') before being locked. The AH, as it stands now, is a huge source annoyance in the D3 community, impacting the game in a very real, negative way. This at least deserves an explanation from Blizzard as to why we can't get an AH API. If it absolutely won't happen, what does Blizzard plan to do to address these problems?

Items are mispriced.
World of Warcraft allows for add-ons like Auctioneer that scan the AH and recommend prices, ensuring that arbitrage doesn’t exist for very long and that prices reflect the items’ true values. Diablo 3 has no support for add-ons, and estimating pricing by comparing similar items to my drops for hours on end sucks. It would be great to automate the whole process. If people can’t find average prices on the Auction House, they don’t really know what their item is worth. The market is inefficient. This is a real problem with real money at stake.

The AH search function is horrible.
The D3 AH doesn't provide us with fine-grained search tools to find items with comparable stats. I can only search by minimum values, not max. I can't search for every item modifier. Nor can I search for equivalent stats—for instance, given my gear and build, what is the exact relationship between +LOH and %Life Steal? I could build powerful search and item-comparison tools given an API.

There are several things—like security for the RMAH—that don’t even need to be addressed with a read-only API. You open up the data, I build a read-only platform that helps people know the real market-value of their items, and suddenly markets are priced efficiently. Given that it seems so simple from those of us outside Blizzard, can we get a further explanation as to why a read-only AH API won’t happen?
Edited by hellcow#1870 on 9/5/2012 6:00 PM PDT
I'm pretty sure this was brought up elsewhere, but one of the biggest concerns with an AH API is that it would also make it easier for people to bypass the tax and 10 auction limit.

Additionally, I don't think creating an AH API would be the best solution to some of the problems you listed. For example, improvements to the existing in-game user interface would create a better experience for everyone, not just for those that use a third-party application. I'm also pretty sure that you can search for every item modifier. As far as determining the relationship between stats, that would probably be better left to a simcraft-like program as well, which would have nothing to do with an AH API.

Given that it seems so simple from those of us outside Blizzard...

Lastly, deciding on a solution and then implementing it is by far not a simple process... and I'm outside Blizzard.
09/05/2012 07:47 PMPosted by Kalence
one of the biggest concerns with an AH API is that it would also make it easier for people to bypass the tax and 10 auction limit.

How does easier access to the official market make it easier to bypass the tax?

In-game improvements to the AH interface would be great, but I haven't seen any proposed. As an admittedly not-as-good alternative—or just in the interim—they could outsource improved item search (for free) to the developer community by opening up the API. Short of a very large overhaul, however, we're still going to have poor pricing. That is the number one issue.

Given that it seems so simple from those of us outside Blizzard...

Lastly, deciding on a solution and then implementing it is by far not a simple process... and I'm outside Blizzard.

Let me rephrase that. Given that it's so simple from a technical perspective to build support for the read-only AH API, can we get a further explanation as to why a read-only AH API won’t happen? Hell, Blizzard could even leave it up to the community to document it.
Edited by hellcow#1870 on 9/5/2012 9:09 PM PDT
Web & Mobile Team
We still have no plans to expose AH data through web APIs. Sorry.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]