Diablo® III

'Players 8' in Diablo 3

08/22/2012 04:00 PMPosted by Jay Wilson
Later in the development of Diablo II, the 'players 8' command -- which let people set monster difficulty -- was added to address this issue, and we're considering something similar for the next major Diablo III patch to allow players to make up their own minds about how hard or how easy is right for them.

As Jay Wilson stated in the above quote, they are thinking of implementing something similar to players 8 command for D3 in the future. As most of you probably know, players 8 increased the difficulty yes, but it also increased the quality(or quantity or something) of the loot, so players that chose to play a harder game got rewarded for it.

For some reason, I have this hunch that current Diablo team is not going to be interested in increasing the loot quality/quantity with this system implemented, which would cause no one to use it. So please, for the love of God, get this system accurately Blizz.
Edited by Koca#1983 on 9/3/2012 3:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
posted something like this even before Jay. Lelz. ;) anyways.. goodluck for them.
Reply Quote
I'd definitely max this out if the loot was better. Depending on how much stronger they got of course lmao
Reply Quote
09/03/2012 03:50 PMPosted by Koca
Later in the development of Diablo II, the 'players 8' command -- which let people set monster difficulty -- was added to address this issue, and we're considering something similar for the next major Diablo III patch to allow players to make up their own minds about how hard or how easy is right for them.

I just put this though google translate, came out as:

In diablo 2 difficulty increased as well as the chance for increased loot as a way to encourage co-op gameplay and fun, we are thinking of something similar for Diablo 3. We hope to move more Diablo 2 gameplay mechanics to Diablo 3.
Edited by OldSk00ler#2510 on 9/3/2012 4:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Hope they implement it at login, rather than on the fly. It was most often used like gear switching was, to get the reward without the cost.
Reply Quote
09/03/2012 04:21 PMPosted by Shagsbeard
Hope they implement it at login, rather than on the fly. It was most often used like gear switching was, to get the reward without the cost.

except that a monster's HP and loot tables were static once the monster was spawned in diablo 2. if you hadnt typed /players 8 at least 2-3 screens before you saw the creature, they wouldnt be affected.

entering the command right before a creature dies was also ineffectual, as it wouldnt change their stats or loot table.
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6489979210

Posted this earlier today. I just hope that there will be an incentive to play a harder game, i.e better quality loot.

I'm not particulariyt sure how Players 8 worked in D2 (assuming it increases HP of mobs and their damage), but I hope they introduce other ways to tackling the difficulty: more affixes, mob frequency, proc rate etc..
Reply Quote
This would actually suck because the blizzard team doesn't know what they are doing. They don't understand that difficult doesn't have to mean that every monster kills you with one hit. If they did more things like larger hords of trash mobs and more resists forcing a player to play outside of his/her box then it would be good.
Reply Quote
The blizzard team also doesn't support the changing of abilities so playing outside of one's box is not what Blizzard wants to promote. If they did then they wouldn't remove the Nephalem Valor when a players changes abilities. They want players to stick with the abilities that was chosen when the act was started. I really don't understand this type of thinking.
Edited by R0bb0b#1600 on 9/3/2012 4:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
09/03/2012 03:50 PMPosted by Koca

As Jay Wilson stated in the above quote, they are thinking of implementing something similar to players 8 command for D3 in the future. As most of you probably know, players 8 increased the difficulty yes, but it also increased the quality(or quantity or something) of the loot, so players that chose to play a harder game got rewarded for it.

For some reason, I have this hunch that current Diablo team is not going to be interested in increasing the loot quality/quantity with this system implemented, which would cause no one to use it. So please, for the love of God, get this system accurately Blizz.

Think about it, if they increase loot, then everyone will wanna play that mode. And people won't be able to do it, and we will be back to square one. What they should do, is have an increased xp reward for paragon levels. That way people will have a reason to do players 8
Reply Quote
the reward should obviously be better. Since if it take 2 times longer to clear A3, it should be 2 times more rewarding. But the farming efficiency should be roughly the same.

I think that's the whole idea. So people who dont' want to play hard content can stay where they were.

The only people who should be more rewarding is people who have the dps and defense. You shouldn't be rewarded just for playing harder content. You should be rewarded for clearing harder content "with efficiency".
Reply Quote
View profile
I think if you can play the game at a harder difficulty than others, then you should be rewarded for it, Blizzard can't be oblivious to that.
Reply Quote
09/03/2012 05:04 PMPosted by BurningJC007
I think if you can play the game at a harder difficulty than others, then you should be rewarded for it, Blizzard can't be oblivious to that.

That is probably why a lot of people quit when they reach inferno. Many people don't want to do hard content and hell just isn't rewarding to do to count as endgame. So many people quit.

You obviously need an incentive for people to go harder difficulty. But it shouldn't be such large a gap that people that don't want to go harder difficulty felt left out.

People'll still do the harder difficulty if the "farming efficiency is roughly the same or slightly better". But you dont' need the gap to be too large.

The real people should be rewarded is the people with the 100k dps which can clear harder difficulty with ease, not some 10k dps person who clear the harder difficulty in 10 hours.
Reply Quote
Loot definitely needs to scale in proportion with the difficulty. Players 8 in D2 was... trying to remember... I think like 2.25x loot over a single player game. Also, the damage dealt by monsters didn't increase with the player level, only the health pool.

If increasing monster hp (and, hopefully, damage) only nets an increase to Paragon XP... that is just not enough of an incentive. I know that they are trying to phase out MF (*sigh*), but this would be kind of a cool way of preserving some sort of MF-like system through your gear --> allowing you to clear more difficult content --> granting increase in loot drops.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]