Diablo® III

Maintenance?

Is there going to be one later?
I thought I saw a blue post on it earlier, but I can't seem to find it now.
Reply Quote
View profile
There is nothing in the service status. I assumed you checked but thought i would take a look too.
Reply Quote
Indeed there's nothing now, but I swear there was something about 3am maintenance earlier, lasting for 8 hours.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
Tomorrow's Diablo III maintenance was indeed cancelled. We apologize for any confusion this may have caused.
Reply Quote
09/10/2012 08:20 PMPosted by Vaeflare
Tomorrow's Diablo III maintenance was indeed cancelled. We apologize for any confusion this may have caused.

Honestly, downtime due to maintenance should never occur in an ARPG. Maintenance windows are for MMO's not for ARGP's.

I hope this is an example of things to come.
Reply Quote
09/10/2012 08:46 PMPosted by Zebulun

Honestly, downtime due to maintenance should never occur in an ARPG. Maintenance windows are for MMO's not for ARGP's.

???? Ummm Why not? Quit complaining .
Reply Quote
good to know.

but just wondering, are there official messages about mainteneces and patches?
the server status never seems accurate for me.

would just be nice to know these things : )) so i don't mindlessly keep trying to log on when i really want to play lol
Reply Quote

Just shut up. It's their game, they can design it how they want. Don't act like they have to follow some imaginary standard just so you don't get butthurt.

Don't like it, don't buy it, don't play it.
We'd all appreciate that. Thanks.
Edited by Zed#1489 on 9/10/2012 9:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Just shut up. It's their game, they can design it how they want. Don't act like they have to follow some imaginary standard just so you don't get butthurt.

Don't like it, don't buy it, don't play it.
We'd all appreciate that. Thanks.

its like words from jesus!
Reply Quote
09/10/2012 09:20 PMPosted by Zed

indeed. this is a client/server based game. maintenance is necessary. always online games with massive databases need server maintenance, or at the very least OS patch updates.
Reply Quote

Great, thanks for the confirmation!
Reply Quote
Vaeflare, you are doing a wonderful job btw. You probably don't get told that often enough. Thanks for keeping the fans in the loop.
Reply Quote
awwww! no auction sniping tonight.

sad.
Reply Quote

YAY, I don't lose any prime time play tonight!

Much <3
Reply Quote

indeed. this is a client/server based game. maintenance is necessary. always online games with massive databases need server maintenance, or at the very least OS patch updates.

Indeed.

BUT... game companies of this generation do full maintenance in 30 min windows and are back up and running in 10 to 15 mins usually. Extended maintenance windows will be slated for 2 hours and usually be only 1.

This 10 hr Blizz maintenance malarkey is stone age stuff, man.
Reply Quote

The whole thing is Diablo 3 runs on the Battle.net mainframe, and If I'm not mistaken any portion of blizzards modern games run on this as well, So when they need to do their work the whole system needs to be brought down.

With a community this large (Not just diablo, but wow and SC2) things happen and measurements are promptly taken. Just remember, Blizzard doesn't get 100's of thousands of gamers pegging their servers daily, but MILLIONS.

Frankly I would DARE the community to come up with a better solution to handle that volume of traffic.
Reply Quote
It's no "imaginary" standard. Things like maintenance windows (these kind of weekly, extended windows) are a fairly recent phenomenon, technologically speaking. On large scale MMO's that have considerable data to manage, backup, etc. That's where it comes from.

It's never been the standard for such constant, ongoing maintenance for games like RTS games (Starcraft II) or games like this one. All previous (Battle.net 1.0) games did not have this weekly maintenance window.

If anything, it should be to Blizzard to explain why they need to do such extraordinary maintenance on games that have, in the past, not required anywhere near that kind of attention.

Agreed, patches are one thing but when was the last time any other non-MMO game went down for maintenance?
For some reason everyone has been force fed this by Blizzard and it's somehow ok and acceptable.

09/10/2012 11:32 PMPosted by Zero
Frankly I would DARE the community to come up with a better solution to handle that volume of traffic.

You have a point however, this pill would be more easily swallowed if Blizzard were able to keep bots and spammers off it's servers. Kinda like we're getting screwed @ both ends.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]