Diablo® III

Windows 8 and Diablo 3

Any reason why Diablo 3 will not work with Windows 8 Release Preview or the final Windows 8?
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Sibcoe,

A lot of people have reported no problems with Windows 8 previews and Diablo II but a few have reported problems as well. We plan to offer support but not until the OS has shipped. Until then, I'd look into the various device drivers you're using for updates as that's likely to be where most problems arise.
Reply Quote
Windows 8 Retail has been on MSDN for a little while, so there will likely be more topics coming up if compatibility issues persist.

Here is how I was able to get Diablo III to run under Windows 8.

Trial and Error - what didn't work:
I didn't want to download the content again, so I copied my current install to C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo III\
I ran the Blizzard Installer for Diablo III (hoping to correct any missing registry/user settings that were missing); it didn't download anything and it finished nearly instantly.
When I would run Diablo III the launcher was ok, but once I clicked play the Diablo III logo came up in the center of the screen and stayed there for longer than normal.
With task manager running I could see that Diablo III.exe was "Not responding".
Some people pointed to Compatibility settings, some people said "Run as administrator".
I tried Windows 7 compatibility mode for both "Diablo III Launcher.exe" and "Diablo III.exe", but that didn't change the above. I then tried XP-SP3 compatibility, and that also didn't change anything.

If I do not have the Compatibility mode set, and I do have it set to run as administrator I get this error after clicking Play:
Failed to launch a critical file. Please close all other applications,
temporarily deactivate your anti-virus software, and try again.
Alternatively, log in as an administrator and try again.

With both applications set to Windows 7 compatibility, I get the error above when I start the launcher.

Success - what did work:
I now have both the launcher (Diablo III Launcher.exe) and the game executable (Diablo III.exe) set to:
Compatibility mode: Windows XP (Service Pack 3)
Privilege level: Run this program as an administrator [checked]

It is a little annoying that I have to confirm the UAC every time I want to play, but that is a compromise that I am willing to make. :)

Good luck, and enjoy Diablo III under Windows 8!
Reply Quote
I just recently purchased a brand new desktop PC with Windows 8 and after installing Diablo 3 and updating to patch 1.0.6 or whatever the newest version is as of 11/29/12 and this game DOES NOT WORK AT ALL!!!!!

I click the play button and the Diablo skull with Diablo III written across it shows up and then it just sits there forever without loading into the game.

My PC specs are AMD A8-5500 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 3.20 GHz
6.00 GB RAM Windows 8 64 bit obviously....

Basically this PC is an HP Pavillion p7-1414 PC model number.

I forgot to mention that this game runs flawlessly on my Gaming PC which is a AMD Phenom II X6 Black edition with 16 GB RAM and Geforce GTX 580 O.C. and various other awesome parts that I don't need to mention.
Edited by brownie689#1187 on 11/29/2012 8:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
Try deleting the Diablo III.mfil file then relaunch the game (Make sure the game is fully downloaded before doing this)

This issue has nothing to do with Windows 8 (Assuming the game works after deleting the mfil).
Reply Quote
I loose all of my hero after install win 8, and if I try to enter friend`s account... He don`t have any heroes in list too... WTF is that?????
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Serbon,

You're probably just connecting to the wrong region.

Start the game but don't login yet. Go to Options, then Account. You'll see the region selection there. Select the right one and continue logging in.
Reply Quote
I was experiencing the same thing after I downloaded Diablo 3 on Window 8. But I found one solution, I don't think this would work on everyone, though. What I did was, opening the trouble shooter for the game. Then, troubleshoot the program. After that, try the recommended settings. And then after that click ''Test the program''. The system will automatically open your Diablo 3 launcher then press ''Play''. When your screen turns silver for a moment then it would work.

Again I'm not sure if this would work on everyone, but it worked on mine.

When your opening Diablo 3 on Windows 8 always activate the trouble shooter, then repeat the instructions. If you don't open the trouble shooter your Diablo 3 will crash.

if it doesn't work on your PC, I'm truly sorry for wasting your time. But if it worked, GAME ON!!! :D

Thank you! for your cooperation.
Edited by FrostJr#1837 on 8/11/2013 4:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
i just downloaded win 8 and dont have my cd , is their somewhere i can go to download D3 ?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]