Diablo® III

Get all BattleTags?

How do sites like diabloprogress get all the battletags? I don't see a way to do this with the API.
Reply Quote
They started originally by crawling the web so they had a jump up on everyone else cause they did it the "illegal" way. Now it just comes down to pure word of mouth. People know of the site so they go to compare themselves to top users, so lots of people check their own profiles. Top players sign up cause they want to be recognized and Dprogress had the leg up on progress so they wanted to be identified there for sure.

It's all about being the first site to show something, so everyone flocks to it and causes a snowball effect.
Reply Quote
09/13/2012 07:58 AMPosted by Kieble
They started originally by crawling the web so they had a jump up on everyone else cause they did it the "illegal" way.

1. This is false. We didn't crawl the web. EVERY single battletag on our site was submitted by our visitors.

2. We didn't have "a jump up on everyone else". There were websites that started accessing battle.net ahead of us.
Reply Quote
09/13/2012 08:18 AMPosted by Kernel
They started originally by crawling the web so they had a jump up on everyone else cause they did it the "illegal" way.

1. This is false. We didn't crawl the web. EVERY single battletag on our site was submitted by our visitors.

2. We didn't have "a jump up on everyone else". There were websites that started accessing battle.net ahead of us.

I didn't mean crawling the website as in getting every battle tag, i meant crawling as getting profile information prior to API release. This helped to have a good storage of information prior to the API even being released. Which as I stated caused more press and a snowball effet in traffic.
Reply Quote
Okay, but as I said, other websites started accessing battle.net prior of us. So your "causing snowball" theory is not entirely correct.

About that "illegal" thing.
Basically almost every API-using website is doing it illegally, because the Usage Policy is worded so skilfully so that it is almost impossible to do anything with it "legally".
Reply Quote
About that "illegal" thing.
Basically almost every API-using website is doing it illegally, because the Usage Policy is worded so skilfully so that it is almost impossible to do anything with it "legally".

True, following the rules stated in Usage Policy, you'll need a license to consume the API services, and thus imply an association with Blizzard Entertainment, which is not allowed.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I didn't mean crawling the website as in getting every battle tag, i meant crawling as getting profile information prior to API release. This helped to have a good storage of information prior to the API even being released. Which as I stated caused more press and a snowball effet in traffic.

Getting profile information prior to API release? There is no information to "get" unless you either guess item IDs or guess battle tags as every existing API request requires one of those two pieces of information.

Haters gonna hate I guess.
Reply Quote
09/19/2012 01:03 PMPosted by Pepita

Getting profile information prior to API release? There is no information to "get" unless you either guess item IDs or guess battle tags as every existing API request requires one of those two pieces of information.

Haters gonna hate I guess.

As I said prior to release, it wouldn't matter what an API request would require. The big thing was they were screen scrap eing to get data early, and so they had a vast amount of data prior to the API's release that other sites didn't. As he said, they weren't the only one, but read the whole conversations if "haters gonna hate"
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]