Diablo® III

* Tempest Rush Build 2.04 Monk TR Guide *

TRANSITION TO REAPER OF SOULS
- Get to Level 70 ASAP
- Life Steal does not work any more
- Wave of Light had a big nerf
- Tempest Rush got a buff
- Start farming Normal for good upgrades since Item drops are identical from normal to expert.
- If you were using a TR build with the legacy Inna Set, this build is quite effective:
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#TkPjSc!dSbZ!YYcbbZ

==========
SECTION 1 – NORMAL

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#TkPjXc!dVbZ!YYcbcZ
- Everything in this build maximizes movement speed.
- SSS and/or Epiphany-Inner Fire for Elites.
- Pop Air Ally whenever the cooldown is over to refill spirit, or pop Epiphany.
- Gear: 2 spirit/second (spirit stone recommended).
- No life on hit is required.
- Follower: Templar with “Loyalty” for life/second and “Inspire” for spirit regeneration.
Do not be discouraged if you cannot handle Torment Rifts. I have 600k DPS, 3.75 million toughness exclusively from gear I found in Normal Rifts, Normal Quests and gambling blood shards with Kadala.

==========
SECTION 2 – TORMENT 1

500k+ DPS
4 million toughness
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#TkPjYc!dVbS!YYcbcZ
- SSS and Epiphany-Inner Fire are your sources of damage. Tempest Rush-Tailwind is mainly for mobility, the damage buff of Momentum and to greatly increase the effectiveness of Epiphany.
- Use MoC, then Blinding Flash-Faith in the Light then SSS and/or Epiphany for awesome burst damage. Pop Blinding Flash whenever the cooldown finishes.
- Pop Air Ally and/or Epiphany to increase spirit generation.
- Reduce Cooldowns through helm socket, shoulders, weapon (or other slot), and Paragon Utility Points.
- Gear: 2 spirit/second (spirit stone recommended).
- No life on hit is required.
- Follower: Templar with “Loyalty” for life/second and “Inspire” for spirit regeneration.

400k DPS
3.5 million toughness (or even down to 3 million)
Try one or more of the following tweaks:
- Mantra of Conviction-Intimidation for 15% damage reduction
- Breath of Heaven-Blazing Wrath (Heal with 10% damage boost) instead of Blinding Flash
Last resorts:
- Seize the Initiative instead of Momentum
- Mantra of Healing-Time of Need
- Mantra of Evasion-Hard Target.

QUESTS
Quests are still done on normal mode to get rift keys quickly with a focus on movement speed (like Normal):
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#TkPjXc!dVbZ!YYcbcZ

==========
SECTION 3 – ADDITIONAL NOTES

Elemental Damage: Fire
Attack Speed: Avoid it whenever possible, as it does not increase damage to SSS or Epiphany

2 Hander Vs. Dual Wielding
- Both are viable
- Spirit is a bit harder to manager Dual-Wielding.
- Dual wielders should switch out Guardian’s Path for Chant of Resonance
- 2 Handers will hit harder, even if your DPS is much higher dual-wielding. Remember that 15% of dual-wielding’s DPS comes from attack speed, which gives no benefit to damage from Inner Fire or SSS.
- Dual-Wielding seems to have better potential for higher torments due to potential from an additional slot for extra fire damage, bonus damage to elites or special procs.

==========
SECTION 4 – Torment 2

Efficiency:
- Torment 2 Rifts have only a 15% increased chance of legendary drops than Torment 1 Rifts, while monsters have 50% more health. So if you can finish Torment 1 in 15 minutes, then you should only move on to Torment 2 when you can finish Torment 2 in less than 17.5 minutes (15% more time).
http://www.diablofans.com/news/48015-the-big-ros-number-crunch-how-the-rift-buff-works

More Coming Soon…

MY PROFILE:
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/IronMan1975-2411/hero/6974337
Edited by IronMan1975#2411 on 4/18/2014 2:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
reserved
Edited by IronMan1975#2411 on 4/13/2014 6:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
good stuff, ironman!
Just a note about the act breakpoints. Your numbers seem a bit high to me. I haven't played act1 and 2 in ages, but I would say act3 is perfectly doable with 700 res, 7k armor, 30k dps. Also I think hp is a very relevant stat to add here. I would say 25k hp act1, 30k hp act2, 35k hp act3.
Reply Quote
09/25/2012 06:48 AMPosted by Wittster
but I would say act3 is perfectly doable with 700 res, 7k armor, 30k dps.

How much LoH?
Reply Quote
good stuff, ironman!
Just a note about the act breakpoints. Your numbers seem a bit high to me. I haven't played act1 and 2 in ages, but I would say act3 is perfectly doable with 700 res, 7k armor, 30k dps. Also I think hp is a very relevant stat to add here. I would say 25k hp act1, 30k hp act2, 35k hp act3.

I run act 3 with 115k dps, 500 all res, 6k armor, 30k hp with no problems in a full group

How much LoH?

i use no LoH and farm act 3 easily.

Edit - forgot to add, really nice guide! thanks for it ironman
Edited by Tarzan#1737 on 9/25/2012 7:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
09/25/2012 07:58 AMPosted by Tarzan
I run act 3 with 115k dps, 500 all res, 6k armor, 30k hp with no problems in a full group

i use no LoH and farm act 3 easily.

Okay
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
+1

Current best run in terms of xp/hr: 51.1m
Average xp/hr: 45m

Core > ToD1 > ToC1 (run up to end of Arreat Crater 2) > AC2 > Keeps2 > Rakkis Crossing > down through Fields of Slaughter.
Reply Quote
09/25/2012 09:16 AMPosted by Druin
Core > ToD1 > ToC1 (run up to end of Arreat Crater 2) > AC2 > Keeps2 > Rakkis Crossing > down through Fields of Slaughter.

I don't get this routine. Why not ToD 2, ToC 1 and AC1? Or the other Keeps levels?
Reply Quote
Edited by Kaho#1895 on 10/14/2012 3:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I highly recommend a daibo for this build. Maybe even Inna's... Daibo's and Stone of Jordan's can both roll up to 8% crit on tempest rush, which is applicable to Sweeping Winds:Cyclone.

There are currently 4 pieces that can roll up to 2.33 spirit per second:
1) X-something amulet
2) Stone of Jordan
3) Monk helms
4) Daibos

There are also legacy items that have spirit regen rolls:
1) Stone of Jordan
2) Frostburn
3) Hellcat Waistguard

It's possible to get 8-9 spirit regen and then have guardian's path boost it over 10.5... The number rounds up, I think. As long as you don't have IAS on your items, you can do infinite tempest rush. And if you have enough pieces of Inna's set, sweeping winds will be free as well. Flying dragon is recommended over Inna's Daibo because it doesn't have IAS 11, rolls and extra slot, and has the double attack speed proc, which does not proc from tempest rush. However, that would mean getting the other 4 pieces of the overpriced Inna's set ATM.
Reply Quote
09/25/2012 06:48 AMPosted by Wittster

excellent point...the defensive numbers i had for act 1 and 2 were from 1.03 LOL. I've revised down the estimates a bit, and added the hp suggestions as well which seem about right. For act 3, however, i kept the 35k dps breakpoint. While i was doing act 3 with 30k dps, the point of the "break" points is when i noticed the option to switch to offensive skills like MoC/Overawe to finish the content faster than defensive MoE. With 30k dps, i was actually getting more efficiency in xp and item drops in act 2 than act 3 using the tempest rush build...but it wasn't until about 45k dps that i was able to work tempest rush "comfortably" back into my build for act 3.

Posted by Wittster

How much LoH?

i have updated the post with LoH estimates. Generally, i've done quite well with 1200, others have made do with 1000, but more will certainly make life easier. Of course, the LoH figures are for people building up their dps, as many monks can effectively get rid of LoH, armor, resistances, health, etc with higher dps. I still like LoH, especially as 1.05 presents harder difficulties where we would need to be a bit more tanky. In terms of efficiency, being able to take a few hits while you burst an elite to death can save alot of time.

09/25/2012 09:44 AMPosted by DarkSpell
I don't get this routine. Why not ToD 2, ToC 1 and AC1? Or the other Keeps levels?

Alkaizer's basic idea was to get 4-5 stacks from Core of Arreat and Tower of the Damned 1, and then proceed to the 3 most xp filled areas in act 3: Arreat Crater Level 2, Keep Depths Level 2, and Fields of Slaughter (from the teleport checkpoint in a circle back to the teleport).

While my preliminary tests showed that his route was pretty solid (when i added other areas, the xp per minute went down), but from Kaho's tests, it is very possible that Monks could find other areas that could produce similar xp efficiency. But again, i usually do a much more comprehensive run, where i don't mind getting less xp but more elites.
Reply Quote
Separately I measured individual zones multiple times each. Rakkis, Crater 2, Keeps 2, Skycrown Battlements, Tower of the Damned 1, and Fields of Slaughter were the zones that broke the 1 million per minute mark. The latter 3 were not consistent in passing 1 million a minute and the first three always passed 1 million a minute. Measurements were from beginning of area checkpoint to start of next area and stacks were maxed.

thanks for sharing your results...i will definitely go back and gather some data as well. I do have to ask about fields of slaughter, did you do the circle route like alkaizer? i found that method to work quite well.

also, i guess i need to revisit Rakkis, because i actually had found the bridge to be not as efficient as other areas. Perhaps i didn't have fleet footed with exalted soul at the time.

also, did you get an estimate of your xp per hour for alkaizer's route alone?

EDIT: Kaho, i would love to hear your ideas about the monk class, either here or in a separate thread. Just let me know when you post it.
Edited by IronMan1975#2411 on 9/26/2012 4:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
In preparation for 1.05 monster power and increased rewards for harder difficulties, i did a few runs with the good old cookie-cutter, max dps build:
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aSgYXk!UXa!acYcba
(i had fleet footed instead of resolve, though)

After getting so used to TR, I was surprised to find that i had alot of problems surviving. Basically, the comparison is between Tempest Rush/Tailwind and Breath of Heaven/Blazing Wrath. To my surprise, I found that BoH is a terrible heal compared to the mobility (to reposition), crowd control (disrupt spells), and speed (escape) of tempest rush. Even the speed alone greatly improves survivability, as you take far less damage over molten or poison pools, whereas a 7k heal won't really help you survive more than a second if you're stuck in one place. In terms of the 15% damage buff of breath of heaven, I found that using TR/Tailwind greatly helps to keep my buffed cyclones up from one pack to the next, giving me alot more than BoH's 15% benefit, as not only were my cyclones almost always already at full stack, but i also have Blinding Flash (buff & cc) and MoC/Overawe ready to deliver heavy hits as well.
Reply Quote
09/26/2012 02:44 AMPosted by IronMan1975
Alkaizer's basic idea was to get 4-5 stacks from Core of Arreat and Tower of the Damned 1, and then proceed to the 3 most xp filled areas in act 3: Arreat Crater Level 2, Keep Depths Level 2, and Fields of Slaughter (from the teleport checkpoint in a circle back to the teleport).

Thanks, so this was mainly for WW Barbs right? But i still don't see why Core of Arreat and Tower of the Damned 1 has more elites then the other towers and crater levels - too me they seem regurlarly the same.
Reply Quote
09/26/2012 07:44 AMPosted by DarkSpell
Thanks, so this was mainly for WW Barbs right?

it would seem so. especially thanks to the feedback from other Monks, it is clear that we can add additional areas to our routes with very similar and even better xp returns.

09/26/2012 07:44 AMPosted by DarkSpell
But i still don't see why Core of Arreat and Tower of the Damned 1 has more elites then the other towers and crater levels

in fact, they don't necessarily have more...i can usually only find 4 elites among those 2 areas, but they are quite fast, so they are used to get the 5 stacks, and then go on to areas with more condensed enemies and elites.

as i test some of these additional areas, i'll be sure to update the list i provided in the xp farming area to reflect additional xp hotspots viable for monks.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Measured 3 sessions with each session lasting 1 hour long. I received as high as 60 million an hour and as low as 56 million an hour(during the 56 run restart the game in the middle of a run). Start at Rakkis to Fields checkpoint, then Crater 2, then Keeps 2. Selective in picking up items. Picking up all uniques, all rare jewelry, and some 63 items. The sessions were measured from start to stop with each session lasting slightly over an hour long and no AH in between.

Separately I measured individual zones multiple times each. Rakkis, Crater 2, Keeps 2, Skycrown Battlements, Tower of the Damned 1, and Fields of Slaughter were the zones that broke the 1 million per minute mark. The latter 3 were not consistent in passing 1 million a minute and the first three always passed 1 million a minute. Measurements were from beginning of area checkpoint to start of next area and stacks were maxed.

All tests were done with radiant star ruby. My profile does not match what I use for grinding.

Monk is not the weakest class but is definitely the most broken(in a bad way). If you're interested I could go over this in depth in another thread(as to not derail this thread).

I started to call BS on your xp/hour claims then looked at your profile ...
Color me jealous!

My only question for your run archetype is: how do you feel doing the "high density" maps with < 5NV effects your xp/hour?

Obviously the easy answer is: I get 60m/hour ... how do YOU think? but I would really like to hear your thoughts on the subject.

I am really glad to see your run involved Rakkis down to fields because I think that is an amazing route as well, but it seems like you would have ~3NV by the time you hit Fields which is the highest xp/hour map for me?

Also, how do you feel super-short runs effect your loot/hour compared to a longer ~50m/hour run?
Reply Quote
Solid guide. I cannot farm act 3 efficiently yet so I may just start farmign act 2.
Reply Quote
Edited by Kaho#1895 on 10/14/2012 3:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Edited by Kaho#1895 on 10/14/2012 3:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Wow man, thanks for the input.

I so rarely find people on the forums who I totally agree with but you nailed it as far as I am concerned.

I have made or contributed to several posts ranging from "basics to how monks are broken" to "specific changes I want to see on spirit gens" and the results range from "increased Exploding palm damage" to "BoH:Infused with Light buffs."

<sigh>

wow ... watched your video ... that is amazing.
I was wondering how you got SO much higher xp than me and that makes a lot of sense. Perma temp rush that kills everything it touches would in fact work.

What sort of DPS do you need to see results like that?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]