Diablo® III

New HC mechanics to fix connection issues

It will be a good idea to implement a new game mechanics for HC.

Upon any disconnection the server freezes the game for a certain period of time and is waiting for a re-connection (give a chance to a player to reestablish the connection)

Such mechanics cannot be used for abuse because after the waiting period, the server will resume the game even without a player interaction.

What do you think about it?

PS
It is applicable only for single player mode, for multiplayer it will not work

For multiplayer it is good idea to allow others players to freeze the game until disconnected teammates restore the connection
Edited by WarWar#2649 on 9/12/2012 3:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
+1
Reply Quote
WarWar-

I happened to notice that you have no HC characters- at least none associated with the WarWar tag.

When you make a HC character you have to accept that if that character dies FOR ANY REASON that the death is permanent. I totally understand that dying to lag or DC sucks like no other. . .but I don't think the game mechanics should be changed. If losing a character for any reason is something you can't accept, then perhaps HC is not for you. Changing the Hardcore aspect of the game to allow for certain kinds of death to be saved is not hardcore.

Just my $.02
Edited by WhiteOwl#1550 on 9/12/2012 3:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I've deleted all of my characters because of my personal reasons.

Moreover I will never play HC in the current state.

I see no meaning in loosing my game character because of a lag, a client crash or a connection issue.
Edited by WarWar#2649 on 9/12/2012 3:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
WarWar-
Changing the Hardcore aspect of the game to allow for certain kinds of death to be saved is not hardcore.

Just my $.02

Accepting any possible losing your character because of a connection issue it's not a hardcore is a fool's core
Reply Quote
There are many reasons for 'connection issues' that are not game related.

"Fools' core". Hehehe. . .That's actually pretty funny.

That's what most of us HC players think of when we think of SC.

Back to the point- you said you see no meaning in 'loosing' your game characters because of what I will call non-game-related circumstances. I understand that. But if you can't accept the loss of a character for any reason then why not play SC? Why change the game?

You know I look at a lag death the same as if I were going into battle and I died because I slipped and fell before I got to the battlefield. There are no 'saves' in real life and there should be no saves in HC. You got what you got. No crying. Either re-roll or don't.
Edited by WhiteOwl#1550 on 9/13/2012 8:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
But if you can't accept the loss of a character for any reason then why not play SC? Why change the game?

You know I look at a lag death the same as if I were going into battle and I died because I slipped and fell before I got to the battlefield. There are no 'saves' in real life and there should be no saves in HC. You got what you got. No crying. Either re-roll or don't.

Because I really doubt HC is mean to be played like Russian roulette. In D3 case, it's Lag roulette.

Your analogy with slipping before going to the battlefield is bad. Slipping is still a mistake made by yourself, not a godly-out-of-control issue like lag/dc death is. It has NOTHING to do with the intended game play. Did you see anyone at blizzard speaking in the same way as you do? No. They are simply avoiding the subject.

There's an issue with their game design that CAN be fixed/improved. Why accept mediocrity and not aim for the best?
Reply Quote
09/13/2012 09:02 AMPosted by frosted
Your analogy with slipping before going to the battlefield is bad. Slipping is still a mistake made by yourself

Replace slipping with lightning strike then.

It's not about accepting mediocrity, it's about realism. All these solutions people dream up are not as simple to implement as people seem to think, especially when you consider the scope of a large company. Plus, when they look at the bottom line, it's going to be a lower priority. That's a fact of life in the business world.

We all knew what hardcore was going in. If you don't accept the parameters, you don't have to play.
Reply Quote
While I agree about "That's a fact of life in the business world.", I disagree about the realism.

They took so long to make the game. It wouldn't be as hard as you think it would be (the company size is irrelevant btw).

They already monitor latency client side, it's displayed on the latency bar. They can do the same server side. Routing the equivalent of the "ESC" keypress (which leads to pause game) in a latency monitoring function is a very basic way to fix the lag problem.

For the DC issue, you need to serialize the current game state to disk, close the game and reopen that data and offer to resume where you last left. That would be when, for example, if there's no answer from the client to the first lag pause for like 1 minute.

If only they would say: Hey, we acknowledge the most irritating part of HC at this point is lag/dc death. We won't (or we will) be fixing it.

There's many complain about it, but 0 answer from anyone @ blizzard about it. That sucks IMO, as it can easily be improved.
Reply Quote

They took so long to make the game. It wouldn't be as hard as you think it would be (the company size is irrelevant btw).

The company size is very much relevant. A small indy company could "just do it.". But as a company grows, so does the bureaucracy. Hardcore changes to protect against lag or disconnect are unlikely to even be approved any time soon.
Reply Quote
Also- if you are experiencing latency, would not the act of pressing the esc key also be delayed to the server by said latency? So until the hiccup passed- the server would not even know you pressed the button.

I don't see this being as easy to fix as some would make it sound.

Also- just because there is no response from Blizz, doesn't mean they don't know about the problem. And I don't think they have to (or even should) respond to these kinds of threads.
Edited by WhiteOwl#1550 on 9/13/2012 11:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I was wondering the same thing WhiteOwl for the ESC key, how it is processed?

But yeah, would be easy. Switch the latency monitoring from client side to server side. Ask me which part you don't understand, I'm a software dev.

ps. The company size isn't very much relevant. Sure, a big bank company bureaucracy or pharmaceutical is overwhelming. A software development shop? Usually really agile.
Reply Quote
ActivisionBlizzard is a multi billion dollar company. I don't have any direct knowledge of their operations, but I'm certain that initiatives have to get funded and approved. I'm certain that the little guys answer to the bigger guys and so on up the chain. I'm pretty certain that hardcore changes are not high on their priority list, because the impact to the bottom line is very small compared to other changes.

To put it another way, the D3 team has a fixed budget. Hardcore changes aren't going to give them the most bang for the buck. It's not like they take all the money D3 earns and spend it on D3 things. They have an internal budget.
Reply Quote
I agree, size of company/client base is irrelevant. No different than any other server based change. You change the parameters on the server, and when the clients connect or update, its dished out to them at the time of connection. So 100k or 1m, its still the same amount of change to the server, it just gets pulled often from the server, since the client base is bigger. Really shouldnt be any more time involved than the bi-daily server updates they do now. You have to remember, there is already a server disconect timeout parameter now, so add a few lines of code, change the time limit, and change "Server does X after no responce from client for X seconds" and bam, more or less, you have your tweek.
Reply Quote
This is a good debate, and one that I think needs to happen.

I also believe that Blizzard does read them.

I have to wonder though why they programmed this way in the first place. Obviously they created this system we are debating for a reason. 10 second delay when you exit outside of town, immediate exit in-town. They wanted to make HC more HC. I get that and I agree because TONS of people in D2 were jumping out when they got in a pickle and how HC is that? Not very. I'm guilty of more than a few death exits back in the day. I always felt that it was a kind of death cheat- but I did it anyway because the system allowed it.

As far as deaths due to lag or your 4 year old spilling a coke on your router or what have you. . .I don't know. Every system you create that legitimately helps 1 person is a system that 100 people (or more) will exploit.
Edited by WhiteOwl#1550 on 9/13/2012 11:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Well this is obviously an issue that percolates repeatedly through the HC forum. With good cause. I have recently argued, in a fairly strident tone, for a fix similar to that outlined by the OP.

BUT

Recently I have been wondering if bolt-of-lightning, out-of-control lag deaths aren't in some sense good for the HC community. DC deaths are the ultimate leveler. No matter how over geared your character, you are still vulnerable.

For better or worse, Diablo 3 is a game in which you can gear yourself to virtual immortality. In a lag-death-free HC, the result would be godlike-characters roaming the upper echelons, farming super efficiently and injecting a lot of great gear in the AH. To some this sounds like paradise.

But over time this body of "HC demigods" would only increase - until eventually, and this process would be accelerated by HC-SC gold trading, you would wind up with a dissatisfied populace not unlike what you find now in the SC forums. Why? Because the lure of this game is the perpetual power chase. Achieve that power and your will to play just drains away.

So disconnect deaths perform the function of a high level character sink. They keep the economy lean and mean. And they keep players hungry for more.

And yes, when they happen to you they are completely unfair and totally, utterly demoralising.
Reply Quote
Because I really doubt HC is mean to be played like Russian roulette. In D3 case, it's Lag roulette.

Your analogy with slipping before going to the battlefield is bad. Slipping is still a mistake made by yourself, not a godly-out-of-control issue like lag/dc death is. It has NOTHING to do with the intended game play.
Reply Quote
Just lost another high level DH to a disconnect. Couldn't agree with this thread more. We pay $60 for a game that is supposed to work consistently, and I'm sick of fighting against issues like this. Aside from the challenge of hardcore, I won't switch to SC because the RMAH completely skews the in-game economy. Time to take another long break till I get over being furious at server-side issues causing a waste of my time and effort in grinding up to high levels.
Reply Quote
I've only been playing hc after getting bored of sc, so I haven't lost a character... yet. When (not if) my hc dies, this will be the end of this game for me, so personally I don't care how it happens, lag or etc. I did disconnect in front of an elite pack when I was insisting on playing during a lag spike. =p That would be my fault. But it was hell mode only; clearly my luck skill is superior.

It is quite clear HC is an afterthought, given the checkpoint system that can spawn your in front of elite packs. They didn't even test inferno when they released the game, so lol... I think it's ok to question this aspect.

I don't know. D2 HC was fun as hell even though escaping was so easy... and tons of people still died and tons due to lag. Though honestly, who cares about people "exploiting" like this in a game like D3? I can't really accept the game randomly failing as a part of any game design-- especially when there's no single player mode. And this is bad game design for both softcore and hardcore, except it doesn't matter much in softcore. If my power goes out, my computer fails, my ISP fails, that's fine. It's my fault for not having a UPS, maintaining my computer, or getting a better ISP.

However, hardcore should not be given any exceptions. Either change the system totally, or don't bother.

Also, everyone tells me they only die to lag. When I see them play, I'm somewhat doubtful though. =D If you die when it's clearly been lagging, well... my condolences but you had it coming.

Though as a hidden sense of irony, this will probably someday get changed due to softcore players complain about lag deaths leading to higher repair costs. I will laugh if this occurs.
Edited by ArchonWing#1480 on 9/14/2012 11:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]