Diablo® III

Diablo 3 vs. Torchlight 2 vs. Path of Exile

Just a word about cartoony graphics in TL2. Apply the darken/sharpen mod and it becomes much like D3 in its style, a bit simplier technically but a lot more varied.
Reply Quote
signed up in poe. cant wait for open beta.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Torchlight 2 now has arena. :)
Reply Quote
I haven't played Path of Exile, but I think that Torchlight 2 is better than Diablo 3 in almost every way aside from graphics. Anyone who liked Diablo 2 and was disappointed with Diablo 3 should check out Torchlight 2. Its a great game.

Things I like about Torchlight 2:

- TL2 uses the traditional skill point system over idiotic rune system. The skill point system is proven to work and ditching it was a huge mistake by Blizzard. You don't see wizards running around with giant hammers either since most abilities are not based on weapon DPS. I actually believe the rune system and weapon damage = skill damage system is a fundamental flaw in D3's design and a big contributor to the problems people often complain about.

- TL2 has a steady flow of good and interesting item drops. Because of D3's auction system, items needed to drop less often so that there would be demand on the auction house. Because TL2 does not have an auction house, you will actually get good drops in your game unlike D3.

- In TL2, there seem to be a variety of builds. In D3 most builds became ineffective in the final difficultly level (Inferno? Its been awhile...)

- In TL2 you don't have to be online to play.

P.S. Those complaining about TL2's graphics being cartoony need to look more closely at the carnage that game depicts. Cartoony or not, there is alot of violence in the game.
Edited by MrSuplex#1646 on 1/17/2013 7:52 AM PST
Reply Quote
09/17/2012 03:43 AMPosted by raidragon
why everyone that complain about diablo 3 is either using starcraft 2 account or new free account???

Because I still play Starcraft 2 from time to time, but completely gave up on the pile of feces that is Diablo 3.
Edited by MrSuplex#1646 on 1/17/2013 8:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
Path of Exile owns both d and Torchlight 2 in my opinion. Thats having played d3 since launch, and I am also a big D2 fan.
Reply Quote
View profile
I may try PoE during open beta but it just doesnt look like it could replace my precious TL2. I havnt tried it so I may be suprised.
Reply Quote
Those of you who like TL2 need to try POE. From what I know about both games POE has even more customization. Also its an online game so there's just more going on and without cheating.
Reply Quote
my ultimate game would be POE with d3 combat / graphics. i would die from lack of sleep.

I may go back to POE after their final character wipe. but the combat is very lacking :(, A+ for an an indie game
Reply Quote
all u guys r just really mad so much hate on d3 forums. any big name game that has a predecessor will always be different than that of the original, if that's too hard of a concept to grasp then i really dont know
Reply Quote
im a huge fan of d2. i tried sooo much to like d3 even once all my mates stopped playing i kept going til it finally hit me that they screwed d3 up (in my view) i looked at path of exile ages ago and fort it looked horrible! , till about 3 days ago when i downloaded it and tryed it wow brings back lots of d2 greatness for me ! if you liked d2 give it a try! not as polished as d2 was but its only just in open beta (no more wipes) iv got high hopes for it!

ps not tryed TL2
Reply Quote
Combat is much more intense and dynamic than in any other isometric ARPG;

The health globe and resource system rewards the player for being more aggressive;

The skill system encourages creativity and experimentation;

The rune system allows you to customize your skills;

Automatic stat allocation and the ability to change skills at any time makes you less afraid of screwing up;

The removal of D2's annoying features (limited ammo, locked chests, potion spam, etc.), except maybe for repairs;

The auction house allows players to safely buy and sell items;

The narrative is better integrated to gameplay;

Followers are both useful in combat and interesting storywise.

Dont listen to this guy, What he has written IS all the things WRONG with D3.
Poe is a much better game, more of an oldschool arpg, my fav...try it out

+1 to the retort.
Reply Quote
Personally I think TL2 might be the best game of the three, but I have 2 problems that made me not continue play it.
TL2 is missing at least a version1 of battle.net (chat rooms that is used to connect the games peer to peer) and the cartoony graphics / style I don't like.

POE has that (sort of), although combat is somewhat slower than TL2 and I can't quite figure out what to think of the loot, the style (graphics and music)
is the best since D2/D1. I love the complexity of the passive tree, needing much time to figure something out like this is part of the fun.

I wont go into D3 cos the bads of this wanna be sequel have been discussed a lot already and are well known.
Edited by dukem#2706 on 1/28/2013 3:08 AM PST
Reply Quote
TL2 has lan
Reply Quote
Ok

1: Take your Blizzard fanboy goggles off,

2: See Diablo III for what it really is, top down click and loot World of Warcraft,

3: Play some path of exile and see that it's what D3 should have been

4: Decide for yourself.

5: Play the one you want to play and shut the hell up.
Reply Quote
Ok

1: Take your Blizzard fanboy goggles off,

2: See Diablo III for what it really is, top down click and loot World of Warcraft,

3: Play some path of exile and see that it's what D3 should have been

4: Decide for yourself.

5: Play the one you want to play and shut the hell up.

HAHAHAHAHAHA
Reply Quote
well.........to be honest i decided to leave D3 for a while and have a look at Path Of Exile as a few gamers have told me its better......well.........in my opinion it no where near as good.

Like it or not D3 can be picked up by any lunatic with an itchy mouse finger and will find them selves pounding away at nasties in no time at all.

In relation path of exile will flounder you at the start with being lost on a beach looking for a chest that holds something for somebody.......Never happen in D3,sure there are achievements,but Blizz made sure we could still progress with or without achievments (nice work blizz).

I was told Path of exile had an awsome skill tree ...so had to have a look..........its kinda like spaghetti junction,sure i suppose its works but not really like D2,apply skill points:skill tree (are you listening mr blizz?)More like level up get one stepping stone which leads to a high upgrade to stats as such........something armour does anyways.So why call it a skill tree...why dont you call it a stat tree and be done with it?

The graphics...........D3 eats Path of Exile ALIVE end of story.(not even worth comparison)

Game play............path of exile is kinda sticky at times,you know...hit the button miss without knowing why?(no not my quad core dual graphics settup).....just sticky.
D3 gameplay is sitting on a better engine for sure,its very quick never really glitches and when you push the smash em button....you smash nicley!

I have to admit i left D3 thinking perhaps Blizz had ruined Diablo,iv returned knowing for sure.......there are far worse hands Diablo could fall into.

PS:Ty Mr Blizz i do enjoy your game of Diablo 3. :)

PSS:Bugger off stryker...if the bloody games so hot why u here?(cant handle the truth man)
Reply Quote
So why call it a skill tree...why dont you call it a stat tree and be done with it?

The graphics...........D3 eats Path of Exile ALIVE end of story.(not even worth comparison)

Game play............path of exile is kinda sticky at times,you know...hit the button miss without knowing why?(no not my quad core dual graphics settup).....just sticky.

People who bother to know what Keystones even are should know that that skill tree alters game rules. Much of which D3 is void of. D3 Main Stat + Vit? Seriously anything else you need to look at in terms of stats? Gear is just crit hit + crit dmg + IAS + armor & all res. Sheesh. D3 Should've removed stats altogether, you never do anything with them.

Graphics are subjective, as far as I'm concerned D3's theme is cartoony and caters to kids, PoE on the other hand is what got Diablo famous to begin with, dark gritty and gory and messy nasty stuff. Not once do I ever see someone crucified or piked in D3. or even a simple pentagram on the floor. To make things worse the Act bosses are complete chumps talking and never shutting up if this was Asura's Wrath and I'm Asura I'd simply just punch them in the face and be like "SHUT YOUR FACE." But sadly that option is not even provided. Simply annoying, scripted mess, hardcoded, 0 change. Guess why Bots are rampant in D3 and not in PoE? Enough said.

LoL @ Gameplay Ever hear of something called Accuracy? D3 doesn't have any all your hits are 100% to connect. That's kind of stupid for something you call an RPG.
Edited by KradisZ#1651 on 2/21/2013 6:50 AM PST
Reply Quote
Here's how the Diablo-esc RPG's, for the past 10 years, boil down for me:

Diablo 3: Best combat, Most fluid controls

Torchlight 2: Best Boss Encounters, Modding

Path of Exile: Best gear and itemization system

Titan Quest: Best build/class diversity
Edited by Ocelot113#1961 on 4/3/2013 3:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]