Diablo® III

Dev Journal: Defensive Bonuses Discussion

(Locked)

We're taking a close look at defensive skills vs. incoming monster damage in 1.0.5. We’re going to be changing a few defensive skills for each class, including some direct nerfs to skills like wizard Energy Armor and barbarian War Cry - Impunity. However, we're also reducing incoming damage in Inferno, so players will actually come out ahead.

Go read [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/7155884/Dev_Journal_Defensive_Bonuses_and_Monster_Damage-9_13_2012"]the article we just posted[/url] detailing the changes we'll be making, and then come back here and let us know what you think.

I don't see any mention of the possible issue with Gloom and reflect damage. Just because mobs now hit for less does that also mean they reflect for less?

If not this could be a nerf to Gloom overall as I'm sure many only use it to mitigate reflect.
Lol they're nerfing all your resists and making CURRENT inferno CAKE, but player 8 will be pretty much like pre 1.0.3 even worse now with all the defensive nerfs.
All Im getting from this whole thing is BLAH, BLAH , BLAH We can't figure a way to nurf Wiz's and barb's build so we are going to not only screw them we are going to jack up DH, Monk's and WD's all the more . And O BTW we are making UBER'S in D3 ,From the sound of it They will be another thing for WW barbs to walk all over just like a smiter in D2 Uber's

P.S. Please bring back Sigon sets and make them a easy drop. Not that it was a great set but I always loved it.
Edited by Agmo#1785 on 9/14/2012 9:37 AM PDT
Why is Warcry's armor bonus left alone while energy armors armor bonus nerfed? Also why is the tough as nails passive (I think this provides the Vit -> armor conversion?) left alone while seize the initiative is nerfed? I suppose in the case of the latter, outside of HC no one stacks vitality over 700-800, but both these omissions seem strange (or maybe not so strange depending on where you land on which certain people play Barb and class favoritism).

Regarding Warcry, although the percentage bonus to armor is significantly less than energy armor, the actual added amount of armor tends to be fairly close to energy armor due to strength stacking and passives. Its not uncommon for barbs to have 6-7k armor pre-Warcry, while very few wiz's have that sort of armor (I may need to start stacking more armor on my gear I guess).
Demon Hunter

Love, love, love it. Maybe now I'll want to play my DH since she'll be a cool and unique thing, instead of a weird Zon/Sin hybrid that's boring. Awesome and thanks, can't wait to try a pet tank and life leech build.

Monk - Ugh...

Why are you not nurfing the Monk's "Keen Eye" rune? I don't like the idea of Monk nurfs (especially since I'm a Monk Tank), but it's basically the same deal as Barb's Warcry - Impunity in that, if you want to be tanky, it's almost impossible to pass up.

Please make Resolve and Crippling Wave - Concussion reduce damage of Molten, Arcane, etc. and allow us to Dodge Molten, Arcane, Etc. This will make Fists of Thunder - Lightning Flash and Crippling Wave - Concussion as appealing as Deadly Reach - Keen Eye, and offer tanks more diversity.

Also, you nurfed the Monk's "Sieze the initiative" from 100% to 50% of armor per Dex, but left Barbs with 100% armor per Vit? Kind of dumb...

How about instead of nurfing defensive Monk passives (though I accept the Resolve nurf), you give us some OFFENSIVE passives. We basically have ONE offensive passive, and it's totally worthless. Get rid of some of our worthless passives (almsot everything but OwE, Seize, Transcendence, Resolve) and give us some passive offensive stat boosters like the Barbs get.
Edited by Zerabitu#1799 on 9/14/2012 9:36 AM PDT
I really like the changes. They have real substance and are very well thought out, bravo blizz.

Edit: Forgot to add; Blizz would you please buff strafe it's a bit on the weak side.
Edited by Karpov#1887 on 9/14/2012 9:39 AM PDT
when is the uber boss will be up is it today?
I really really hope you are changing all incomming damage if you do this. Arcane, desecrate, reflect damage, enviroment traps, plague/poison etc. etc.
So if my monk dies in 2 seconds after I rush into the fray in act 3 inferno, now he will die in 5 seconds or something? And when I stack more resists and armor, I will die in 8 seconds, but my DPS will still be lacking because monster HP is still high in Act 2-4....
86 Troll Warlock
People aren't going to like this, but why isn't the best defensive passive in the game, One With Everything, being changed? It will still be seen as 100% mandatory in it's current state. Reducing the bonus resist all is the obvious way to make it not mandatory while not invalidating current gear (eg: You get a resist all bonus equivalent to 50% of your highest elemental resist).

If it's not happening in 1.0.5 people are gonna be pissed when it happens, since it won't be a "net buff" like it would be beside the enemy damage nerfed in 1.0.5. When it inevitably gets nerfed in 1.0.6 or 1.1 people are going to freak out that they can no longer clear act 3 on power level 7 or whatever.
Demon Hunter

Love, love, love it. Maybe now I'll want to play my DH since she'll be a cool and unique thing, instead of a weird Zon/Sin hybrid that's boring. Awesome and thanks, can't wait to try a pet tank and life leech build.

Monk - Ugh...

Why are you not nurfing the Monk's "Keen Eye" rune? I don't like the idea of Monk nurfs (especially since I'm a Monk Tank), but it's basically the same deal as Barb's Warcry - Impunity in that, if you want to be tanky, it's almost impossible to pass up.

Please make Resolve and Crippling Wave - Concussion reduce damage of Molten, Arcane, etc. and allow us to Dodge Molten, Arcane, Etc. This will make Fists of Thunder - Lightning Flash and Crippling Wave - Concussion as appealing as Deadly Reach - Keen Eye, and offer tanks more diversity.

Also, you nurfed the Monk's "Sieze the initiative" from 100% to 50% of armor per Dex, but left Barbs with 100% armor per Vit? Kind of dumb...

How about instead of nurfing defensive Monk passives (though I accept the Resolve nurf), you give us some OFFENSIVE passives. We basically have ONE offensive passive, and it's totally worthless. Get rid of some of our worthless passives (almsot everything but OwE, Seize, Transcendence, Resolve) and give us some passive offensive stat boosters like the Barbs get.

What he said. +1
Please, please reconsider adding/buffing defensive skills to DHs. We don't need defensive skills but more buffs! We need to do MORE DAMAGE! A lot more! When Barb, Monk and Wiz can all get rid of their defensive skills for more offensive skills, what do we have to compete with them??
this is good news for me. I don't think many people have actually tried playing without these defensive skills, the damage you take is often... obscene.
Blizzard,

Well geared Monk here (leech skorn, innas pants + helm). Act 3 inferno is a breeze.

I don't have a problem with nerfs to defensive skills, when coupled with nerfs to infero. I also don't have a problem with the 50% nerf to Sieze the Initiative, a skill that I use. I would like to cut a boring 100% of dex as armor passive for a more illustrious one.

My problem is that there is no truly offensive or interesting one that I would like to move to. One With Everything is required, I am a 2-handed monk so Gardian's Path is now a spirit generator increase for some reason instead of a dodge, Sixth Sense is another defensive skill. The only offensive-esque passives that monks have are spirit regen/generation increases (discounting guiding light that is quasi-offensive but requires being in a party).

In short, if you are reducing Seize the Initiative, I would request an offensive passive option that is not simply a spirit generator or regen since there currently isn't a true one.

Thanks for all the hard work.
Why is this game called Diablo III? But not Betablo III?
You are doing it wrong!

Nerfing skill will just make itens more important, and nerfing inferno just rise attack itens value... Oh...wait!
What a load of crap. Am i still playing the beta version?

P.S.: I AM NOT THANKFUL!
Edited by Balkoth#2815 on 9/14/2012 9:49 AM PDT
people don't seem to realize the inferno damage nerf and skill nerf do not balance out for gloom dh as they do for other classes. Assuming a 25% incoming damage reduction, gloom is worse by 40%, while the other class defensive skills stay neutral.

the math is straightforward and turns on the fact that gloom is an independent modifier of all damage, instead of a buff to existing defensive parameters with diminishing returns as a % increase. Reducing gloom's damage mitigation from 65% to 35% means you take 65% damage instead of 35% dmg, and this is an increase of 86%! reducing armor by 30% does not come close to this figure especially at the higher armor ranges.

If this is intended, then it is a huge nerf to DH in general and increase the already exorbitant price on gear with defense and offense mods. Given that DH playstyle is also the most attention intensive and perhaps skill involved, this is a nerf that cannot be justified.
Edited by awayish#1218 on 9/14/2012 9:49 AM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]