Diablo® III

Dev Journal: Defensive Bonuses Discussion

(Locked)

Thanks ConvexHull#2648 for helping me do the math,

09/20/2012 02:28 AMPosted by ConvexHull
If you have a wiz with 6000 base armor (before any percentage buffs) and 800 base resist, then in 1.0.5 incoming dmg for your wiz from lvl 63 monster will be increased 1.082 times.

That means if a wizard with the same Armor and Resist as above use Energy Armor/Prismatic Armor + War Cry/Impunity buff together in a party game after 1.0.5, that wizard gonna takes 8.2% more damage .....
That's a lot for tank because tank use Life on Hit, Regen Life Per Sec etc. to recover the lost HP in order to stay and tank; Let say before 1.0.5 a wizard with stats and buff as above facing 4 champions which deals about 2500 damage per sec for each of them and that wizard can recover 9000HP per sec (using Living Lighting with high Life on Hit + Regen Life per sec), that's -2500x4 + 9000 = losing 1000HP per sec tanking them. after 1.0.5, instead of taking 2500 damage per sec, it goes up to 2705.... , that's -2705x4 + 9000 = losing 1820HP per sec .... a huge % lost ...

Thanks for spending time to read this

The update seems to make Gloom a more defensive defensive skill, weakening the initial protection, but allowing for a longer, more robust weathering of enemy attacks, favoring a more grind it out style.

My only concerns is : will it still be good enough to allow you survive to reflect damage (+fast ?) pack... I hope so, otherwise, we'll have a big problem playing a DH alone :D
Amen to what Ppka aka Fábio said!
iF YOU BRING TEH PLAYER X OPTION , WHAT IS IN IT FOR ME??? DO I GET INCREASED MAGIC FING OR GOLD FIND IF I DO ? TO I GET A TAG OR A CROWN FOR IT ? OR IS IT SOMETHING I WOULD DO JUST TO MAKE THE GAME LESS FUN TO PLAY AND LESS REWARDING? ... HOW DO YOU PLAN TO ENCOURAGE PEOPLE IN TO PLAYING THIS OPTION? THAT IS MY POINT
Playing a game is like driving a car, gamers should never worry how the car works.
Gamers should just enjoy the drive.

Blizzard, learn from Diablo 2 developers, better yet learn from classics like Dragon Quest.

http://www.youtube.com/show/16bitgems
Edited by Plax#1704 on 9/20/2012 1:37 PM PDT
Wish they would do more Buff rather than nerf.

Personally I don't like the planned changes. Especially for the monk.
Blizzard, do you think those 87.1% on your pie chart would say... "Yey! our skill got nerfed!! This makes the game more exciting. Am so stoked am gonna play more woohooo!!!!"

Its more like 87.1% are not gonna feel good about it. Even if you say that you nerfed defense but you also nerfed the damage of monsters its gonna be a buff.

The reason nobody wants to use the other skills/passive is they simply are not worth it. Better buff the skills/passive that are unpopular rather than nerfing the more popular & have been used by the majority.
Edited by Svettlana#1352 on 9/20/2012 8:34 PM PDT
I like my defensive skills.... stop nerfing them because 87.1% use them. I bet you a higher number use crit stats. Nerf that! >.> (I'd be safe from it.)
What ? Nerf my heros. That rubbish. Monks depend on armor aand still you guys nerf him. Omg. No wonder alot of my friends sick of diablo3. The way diablo3 wrost off than one and two. Reduction of damage of infer. If it is 30 to 50% reduction on creeps and eilities then I accept that my heros nerf or 1% reduction does not make any different. You guys continue nerfing . I believe more fans and gamers will leave diablo3 and may not even want to play diablo 3 or 4 in future. Because it is such a disappointment. Thank you.
I like how blizzard asks us what is it that we want and they turn around and do the opposite. Also feel bad for the people who spend lots of real money on they're chars just to get nerfed, making the gear they spent thousands of dollars on worthless. Seem to me your trying to lour people away rather then enjoy playing a classic game. I understand the last patch buffing the unfavored skills and what not to expand creativity of players to use different builds. I'll be honest I play a monk just reading the Seize the Initiative nerf to 50% just upsetting I changed from a Demon hunter class because I couldn't stand getting 1 shot anymore and wanted to play a tank class. I really hope you know what your doing blizzard because your pissing a lot of people off. Last, I like how inferno is now some may agree with me or not but after you fixed those crazy affixes in the previous patch seemed more balanced still can be a bit harder but its okay now your nerfing inferno more I mean how much more are you gunna water it down.
P.S im glad I resisted spending money on this game knowing how you guys nerf, I would probably Rage so hard and call your blizzard hotlines demanding a refund.
Edited by Achelous#1201 on 9/20/2012 8:31 PM PDT
I see a pattern here. Great percentage of players prefer a build Nerf it! A lot are using a Crit build.. hmmm.. Crit nerf would be next. Blizzard has an eternal quest to promote build diversity.
Edited by Svettlana#1352 on 9/20/2012 8:30 PM PDT
90 Night Elf Druid
Diablo 2 had many different sets of items and methods which you could build your class around . Diablo 3 is a one way train. You have no choice how you want to play.

Sure I can play a 2 Hand Monk or a Dual Wield Monk but in the end I am looking for an item with the exact same stats on it either way.

I can try play an Exploding Palm Monk with Cyclone Strike and blow everything up like a bad !@# but realistically that's never going to happen at this stage of the game.

What we need is a more diverse selection of items. The game would be something else if there were low level sets that you could collect during the process of leveling. Let those items drop frequently so that we can see them and have some fun with them. Who cares if we have a leveling character in full greens due to drops, it's fun and has nothing to do with end game.

At the moment leveling is all about getting through the content as fast as possible so you can start the , not very long, process of working your way up to Diablo on Inferno. Okay so now I've killed Diablo on my new Witch Doctor after 15 Hours of being level 60, now what ? Well now I can farm Act 3 for the small selection of legendary and set items which do nothing but increase the power of my cookie cutter build.

Where are the items that you can change your playstyle around ? Where are all the sets, even if they're frivolous I would like to see them and have some fun with them.

In the end there is really no point in sticking around the game after killing Diablo on Inferno. A variety of items is what is needed.

Enchanting, where is it ? I saw it in a video ages ago . It's seemed to have been lost somewhere... Why can't we have enchants to change our playstyle ? Oh gosh! My monk is being man handled by Phase Beast Elites, let's put on an Ice Enchant to slow their movement speed and attack speed down a notch , even if it replaces some DPS Enchant.

Okay so now I am bored of PVE, let's go PVP . But there isn't any. There is no meaningful interaction possible with friends once you have beaten the game. It is pointless.

Feed Back would be great. What is Blizzard's opinion on the drop system, the variety of gear that is available ?

How are they going to tackle class build variety? ( I don't see 1.5 doing much, if anything at all Perhaps I can switch out Resolve for Combination Strike but that isn't anything exciting)

Can we hear some long term thoughts on where the game is going ? I haven't seen anything that would convince me to play in preparation for something amazing 6 months from now. What are your thoughts what I've ranted on above and what are your plans for it in the coming year and further on ? If you have no set plans for it in the future, what have been some possible ideas ?

Looking forward to that informative blog or blue post.

Back to farming 10 million gold for a 1000 dps upgrade.
Edited by Padanfain#1190 on 9/20/2012 9:03 PM PDT
Since Bliz likes charts I thought Id make the followin...

Blizzard Wizard Nerfing chart:

Tornado (Wicked wind) - Check
Energy Armor (Prismatic) - Check
Explosion (Chain Reaction) - Pending
Dimond Skin - Pending
Teleport - Pending

Blizzard all classes Nerfing chart:

Attack Speed - Check
Critical Chance - Pending

Blizzard income chart:

15% of sold items in gold ah - Check
15% + 1$ of other peoples money - Check

D3 is like a box of choclates.... you never know what you gonna get next.

Stop nerfing... or hire a better staff for game production.
Edited by HyeBlood#1139 on 9/20/2012 9:41 PM PDT
Skill Rune – Trail of Cinders
Reduced damage from 1500% to 300% weapon damage over 3 seconds

This is one of my favorite moves for getting away while hurting elites in inferno... Its gonna be really lame once you guys nerf it... At least keep it at 750%... 300% is such a tiny number its a super nerf... Before I started using this elites would chase me forever n kill me LAME... If I get killed alot more by elites ill just quit again n stop playing like 20 hours a week... There are tons of other games I love like LoL and UO even facebook apps... Allods Online... I play D3 all the time lately since paragon levels... Thanks for listening to my rant :)
Blizzard's answer to "fixing" D3...Nerf everything to the ground when they "deem it needs to be fixed"...oh boy good times :)
Omygoshhh why dont blizz just remove monk skill as a tanker and put monk as a mascot who heal people (even though the only heal skill sucked)

Tanker def skill got nerved:
100% to 50% on sieze the initiative (dex to armor)
25% to 20% on resolve (dmg reduction)

U dont give mid-range skill to MONK!!!! did u forget blizz??
Blizz program that surely brings them more cash:

while 1=1
LOG complaints
if LOG complaints = FULL then
NERF character builds
else
; do nothing
endif
Wend

What ppl do:

While 1=1
if NO CHANGES then
POST COMPLAINTS on forum
PLAY COUNTLESS HOURS
elseif GOTNERFED
CHANGE GEAR TO SUPPORT NEW BUILD
BUY FROM RMAH ;blizzard got 15% tax :)
endif
Wend
Diablo 2 had many different sets of items and methods which you could build your class around . Diablo 3 is a one way train. You have no choice how you want to play.

Sure I can play a 2 Hand Monk or a Dual Wield Monk but in the end I am looking for an item with the exact same stats on it either way.

I can try play an Exploding Palm Monk with Cyclone Strike and blow everything up like a bad !@# but realistically that's never going to happen at this stage of the game.

What we need is a more diverse selection of items. The game would be something else if there were low level sets that you could collect during the process of leveling. Let those items drop frequently so that we can see them and have some fun with them. Who cares if we have a leveling character in full greens due to drops, it's fun and has nothing to do with end game.

At the moment leveling is all about getting through the content as fast as possible so you can start the , not very long, process of working your way up to Diablo on Inferno. Okay so now I've killed Diablo on my new Witch Doctor after 15 Hours of being level 60, now what ? Well now I can farm Act 3 for the small selection of legendary and set items which do nothing but increase the power of my cookie cutter build.

Where are the items that you can change your playstyle around ? Where are all the sets, even if they're frivolous I would like to see them and have some fun with them.

In the end there is really no point in sticking around the game after killing Diablo on Inferno. A variety of items is what is needed.

Enchanting, where is it ? I saw it in a video ages ago . It's seemed to have been lost somewhere... Why can't we have enchants to change our playstyle ? Oh gosh! My monk is being man handled by Phase Beast Elites, let's put on an Ice Enchant to slow their movement speed and attack speed down a notch , even if it replaces some DPS Enchant.

Okay so now I am bored of PVE, let's go PVP . But there isn't any. There is no meaningful interaction possible with friends once you have beaten the game. It is pointless.

Feed Back would be great. What is Blizzard's opinion on the drop system, the variety of gear that is available ?

How are they going to tackle class build variety? ( I don't see 1.5 doing much, if anything at all Perhaps I can switch out Resolve for Combination Strike but that isn't anything exciting)

Can we hear some long term thoughts on where the game is going ? I haven't seen anything that would convince me to play in preparation for something amazing 6 months from now. What are your thoughts what I've ranted on above and what are your plans for it in the coming year and further on ? If you have no set plans for it in the future, what have been some possible ideas ?

Looking forward to that informative blog or blue post.

Back to farming 10 million gold for a 1000 dps upgrade.

Ulver, thank you for an excellent post. I'm sure there are many others out there, but I caught yours.

Blizzard, you make your pie charts and patronize us as if 100% of your players are children who don't already know which skills get used when with which classes? Well, we're not all children and even the children seem to know more about the game than the people who "designed" it. How dare you repeatedly nerf the game just because you didn't test it out thoroughly enough first. It isn't as if you haven't had enough time to work on it. Perhaps the development team didn't, but Blizzard has, most definitely they did. I wouldn't hate on the development team so much if they didn't shove their horrible horrible decisions into our faces. It is almost as if they're mocking us. A lot of people say that Blizzard and its development team doesn't listen. Balderdash! Of course they listen, they just don't care and they wish to shove it in our faces by showing us pie charts of the skills that we like to use (because they look cool or because they're effective, mostly due to being effective) and then they list what skills they're going to nerf and most of the time those are the same skills. It's like saying..

*** we're not happy that you enjoy only 1% of our game.. so we're going to make you hate that 1% so much that you'll think you like the other 99% of it more. To entice you.. we'll even slightly improve 3% of that 99% of the game that you don't like.. Not good enough? ...

...Well, we could add more content and provide a free or cheap expansion pack (we probably already have the storyline and art for it but we're holding back to make more money)...

But rather than lose money to our fans as an apology for a less than spectacular product that we've sold for more than what it is worth... we're going change the game in ways that frustrates players and forces the players who don't quit to grind into agonizing infinity -or- spend time and money buying things in Auction House.. yes.. lets drive more people to Auction House even though they already bought a bunch of items there! Oh oh! And, once they do that, lets change the game again! Fabulous ideas team!
.. .. .. I'll end my rant here because I could keep going and I cannot really read the minds of Diablo 3's development team... mostly because their thoughts either make no sense or simply insult us as game players.

~Thanks so much Blizzard and the Diablo 3 Development Team.. you've definitely made all of us here so happy.. so happy that we come on your forums and complain about how unhappy we are with your product and your decisions to make it worse and worse. Oh... wait that actually means we're not happy. Not at all.
reorganize prioritization for your patches.
Itemization NEEDS attention. Social aspect NEEDS attention. Replaying-quest mode NEEDS attention. And it goes without saying, PvP should be implemented in a well-balanced timely manner

Agree, Itemization - Social aspect - Replaying

And making maps more random needs attention.
Open world needs more attention. The game is way too linear.
Build concept and specs needs more attention.
More freedom, more experimenting, more unplanned result NEEDS more attention.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]