Diablo® III

Dev Journal: Defensive Bonuses Discussion

(Locked)

Meh..... weapons remain the only sound invenstment in the game.
Armor is losing it's value by 500% every patch
Edited by Silencer#2223 on 9/26/2012 10:48 AM PDT
09/23/2012 01:17 PMPosted by BioDefault
Hell, you could introduce a level creator for players. That would be pretty cool. However, that would require some tweeks to prevent abuse with exp or item farming.

I would go for that.

BTT: I LOVE farming act 1, and with the new monster power setting increasing magic find, it's looking a lot more interesting. (One can hope.) As far as the defensive skill changes, I'm all for it as long as there's a REAL damage reduction overall. I want to try out some of the other barb skills, and see which ones work at the higher monster power levels as well.

As far as all the b****ing goes, it sounds like Blizzard wants everyone to feel free to use whatever skills they damn well please, which will create more build diversity. In fact, wasn't that what many of these same people were complaining about before - that they felt FORCED to use certain skills, and couldn't explore others for fear of getting sliced to pieces afterward? :P
Edited by MimSiE#1669 on 9/26/2012 11:26 AM PDT
I don't know who in their right mind could possibly think Energy Armor is the problem with the Wizard class, if there even IS a problem with the wizard class.

I'll be straight up, I've rolled a wizard since launch. I'm not Kripparian, I'm not a TC guru, so I'm sure I haven't exploited every little hole. I didn't know about Force Armor when it got the nerf, and I found out about the frozen-exploding-tornado-LoH build by watching some guy come into my game and do it.

But prior to 1.04, I and every other wizard I knew had to grind through every act. Then I created a DH and granted, by this time I had a little more IGG and the AH as saturated with high rolls, but I STEAMROLLED with the Demon Hunter. I cleared from Act 1 to 3 post 1.04 in 2 days, probably 3-5 hours of play time. With the Wizard, it probably took... a month, or more, and dozens of hours, to get from entering A1 Inferno to near the end of A2, and prior to 1.04, Belial was completely impossible barring you're somebody like Kripparian with a legion of gear-gathering lunkeys, or you rolled a DH on launch and cornered the AH early on and are sitting on hundreds of millions of IGG.

Bottom line: The Wizard is barely worth playing as it is. Without having hundreds of hours of gold farming such that you can afford to AH-twink it with 150+ Int gear and 1k DPS 1h / offhand, it's barely playable. You nerf Energy Armor, or anything about it, and there will be no reason to pick up this class ever again. DH is already 10 times more fun, and incidentally it took literally half the amount of hours to clear 60 with a DH as it did with a Barb.

Quit screwing with it. Add Monster Power, infernal machine, whatever. Creative content YES. More !@#$ing character tweaking balance-%^-*ing bull!@#$, no.
lawl @ 0.2% of lvl 60 barbs not using any rune with war cry

Hopefully the scaling of Players X is appropriate with the reward system for items/xp. Will monster damage increase with Players X or will it just be monster health that increases (similar to how cooperative play works)?

Probably just people who are at the level where you don't have any runes unlocked
Ok, here we go: Jungle Fortitude = nerfed. Why, because everybody uses it? Generally speaking, the defensive nerfs are mistakes. If you want to change JF to pimp out my pets and not the witch doctor, that's one thing. But my piece of !@#$ templar isn't gonna pick up the slack of my pets getting stomped before the enemy aims for my 15% damage-reduced %^- next. A desecrator/arcane sentry combo will equal moderate damage when properly defended against? Yeah, ok. I suggest War Cry boost the caster moderately, and everyone else less so. I, for one, am going to immediately ditch Energy Armor because the losing 20 AP sucked to begin with. Ice Wizard! I just don't understand what you're trying to do by weakening our defenses and the enemy's attacks.

I'll be heading straight to Act I Inferno and max out the monster-o-meter. You should already know those monsters are easier to defeat than other acts, and not just because of their level. If they're made tougher - a level equal to other Acts - they'll still be easier for an equal amount of rewards. Why deal with dumbass Lacuni when you can easily pick off slow, mindless zombies? See, they're out of the older zombie movies, not the new age ones.

Nephalem Valor will be coming out of our ears when picked up from every random quest/chest/blue/yellow! I'm looking forward to unique minibosses for in game minor events. I hope the Infernal Machine isn't a pain in the *!@ to create, because I want to break my Staff of Herding over my damn knee for that reason. Speaking of infernal machines, why did you evil people make the 'Wheel of Misfortune' achievement so annoying to get!?

Seize the Initiative was nerfed. Dumb. Instantly going to be ditched. Dexterity alone isn't going to save me. Oh, but the Barbarian's passive skill 'Nerves of Steel' is untouched. That's pretty fair, right? All right, I'm spent.
[entry moved]
Edited by sumer#1324 on 9/29/2012 9:07 AM PDT
Monster resistance to stun has significantly increased for 1.0.5.

The new cut-off is minimum of 0.65 seconds for most elites and 0.85 seconds for bosses.

That will simply translate to "thou shall not use bola shot-thunderball or elemental arrow-screaming skull in inferno" .

And blizzard still has the guts to say that they encourage build diversity.

Blizzard is a liar.
patch 1.04 was awesome and a step in the right direction. I have played on the PTR the defensive nerfs make a WW barb useless so after patch 1.05 nerfs my DH and my Barb and makes all my gear worthless Blizzard expects me to still play? Mark my words if this patch is deployed you will loose all the rest of your dedicated players. It might apeal to some weekend warriors for a short time but people like me who play everyday are not going to like what the patch brings.
would player x be able to be used in the mp ?
You guys still don't understand where you went wrong. I've played the Diablo franchise since it first came out, and enjoyed repeated playing for years. It was all about the items, and the hunt to get the best possible. Now comes Diablo 3, and I'm not sure where the developers heads were at, but the game is not repeat play worthy. It's frustrating, and overly difficult for the average customer (remember, we are not just players, we are customers). Dying all the time is not a real thrill. Having to engage in a protracted fight with every elite group is not satisfying. The point with D2,was the feeling of having a super character, that could kill anything by themselves, including the Ubers. With D3, the feeling I get is the game developers don't want you to beat the game. They have taken it as a personal challenge to make it so difficult, as to be next to impossible to do so, without certain items. In D2, skill could get you by, and you were still able to reach Patriarch level. Not so D3. The lack of enjoyment will kill the game, and probably hurt Blizzard overall. It seems as if the only customers you have listened to are the "supergamers", but they alone won't pay the bills. You market the game as a mass market playable for everyone game, and then give us this " you're not going to beat my game Ha ha ha turkey. What the game lacks is fun. Get it FUN. I don't know if it is fixable at this point, where people like me will play the game almost daily for 12 years. Doubt it seriously. Wilson and company have given us a turkey, and it's not even Thanksgiving.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6712832846
09/29/2012 03:43 PMPosted by !@#$%inJoe
You guys still don't understand where you went wrong. I've played the Diablo franchise since it first came out, and enjoyed repeated playing for years. It was all about the items, and the hunt to get the best possible. Now comes Diablo 3, and I'm not sure where the developers heads were at, but the game is not repeat play worthy. It's frustrating, and overly difficult for the average customer (remember, we are not just players, we are customers). Dying all the time is not a real thrill. Having to engage in a protracted fight with every elite group is not satisfying. The point with D2,was the feeling of having a super character, that could kill anything by themselves, including the Ubers. With D3, the feeling I get is the game developers don't want you to beat the game. They have taken it as a personal challenge to make it so difficult, as to be next to impossible to do so, without certain items. In D2, skill could get you by, and you were still able to reach Patriarch level. Not so D3. The lack of enjoyment will kill the game, and probably hurt Blizzard overall. It seems as if the only customers you have listened to are the "supergamers", but they alone won't pay the bills. You market the game as a mass market playable for everyone game, and then give us this " you're not going to beat my game Ha ha ha turkey. What the game lacks is fun. Get it FUN. I don't know if it is fixable at this point, where people like me will play the game almost daily for 12 years. Doubt it seriously. Wilson and company have given us a turkey, and it's not even Thanksgiving.

So basically you want the game to have no sense of challenge, have your character be overpowered? I don't see why you are complaining about difficulty, as where it gets to be "difficult" is Inferno, the hardest mode in the game. What do you expect? If you played Diablo 2 for 12 years, almost daily, I highly doubt you would see this game as difficult as you are making it out to be for you.

Challenging and difficult games don't necessarily detract from the fun and entertainment value of a game. If that was the case then games like Ghouls and Ghosts, Ninja Gaiden, and the Demon Souls / Dark Souls games wouldn't be so popular. I love Dark Souls and I've only been able to ring the first bell. That sense of accomplishment is what makes the game so thrilling and entertaining.

Also, quick question: With the PTR server up and running for patch 1.0.5, has Blizzard given a time window for the release, even if its an approximation, an educated estimate?
i like this game , is good, in futur this game should have RESIST GEM, PVP, GAME ROOM with many players ( more than 8 ) FOR TRADING , exchange many items screen showing .. doing special quests.. just more places to go , big area maps (xpax maybe).. maybe 1 or 2 goodly new mods on rares .. something to make sockets eh.. 1 more different secret level .. highly randomly worlds u can create with a team of players to go ( u can have your world and house :) lol maybe ..) u can create ur own rares stats, u can pet monsters LOL to make ur own dungeon defending ur world hehe, i dont know .. travelling trought acts and worlds maps. be able to buy more things in game , have a guilt , but sure thing i would want to have bigger maps that i can go anywhere - not only on a patch , pvp guilt againts other giults, pvp worlds againts other pvp worlds , one big room with many many players to start quests : world quests , guilts quests , pvp , pvp quests, pvm quests , pvm leveling magicfing, trading, talking, creating stuff item worlds house , selling items elsewhere than AH too , create ur own monters design and attacks, a big town that u can defending or attacking - from diablo or players, be able to see game rooms with a name title to do thing i was saying up there, whatever sry for my english writing proper
09/30/2012 12:14 AMPosted by hughd2
i like this game , is good, in futur this game should have RESIST GEM, PVP, GAME ROOM with many players ( more than 8 ) FOR TRADING , exchange many items screen showing .. doing special quests.. just more places to go , big area maps (xpax maybe).. maybe 1 or 2 goodly new mods on rares .. something to make sockets eh.. 1 more different secret level .. highly randomly worlds u can create with a team of players to go ( u can have your world and house :) lol maybe ..) u can create ur own rares stats, u can pet monsters LOL to make ur own dungeon defending ur world hehe, i dont know .. travelling trought acts and worlds maps. be able to buy more things in game , have a guilt , but sure thing i would want to have bigger maps that i can go anywhere - not only on a patch , pvp guilt againts other giults, pvp worlds againts other pvp worlds , one big room with many many players to start quests : world quests , guilts quests , pvp , pvp quests, pvm quests , pvm leveling magicfing, trading, talking, creating stuff item worlds house , selling items elsewhere than AH too , create ur own monters design and attacks, a big town that u can defending or attacking - from diablo or players, be able to see game rooms with a name title to do thing i was saying up there, whatever sry for my english writing proper

I spy a troll.
I believe that its a terrible idea, if you guys weaken energy armor by the percentages then everybody is going to be using the "Force Armor" (which reduces damages that do more than 100% of your life to hit for 35% of life) skill for the wizard to increase survivability. You guys don't realize you are making the wizard class much more focused on being a range kiting class and it's going to make wizards less diverse in public games. Instead of debuffing Prismatic Armor, i think you guys should make Frozen armor much more useful because its pretty unappealing to use in the first place, I have to get hit 3 times to get the full effect of the armor buff from that skill, no one uses ice armor and it's a terrible skill for survivability. It doesn't really matter that you guys are nerfing inferno again really, Wizards unlike barbarians do not have a natural 30% reduction from attacks thus the armor spells are entirely necessary.

Plus in public games you guys reduce our armor and damage anyway so in a way you're nerfing us and buffing the bad guys that freeze, incinerate, and jail us all the time. Keep energy armor the way it is and make Frozen Armor and Lightning armor actually do something that pertains to "armor". For example "Frozen Armor" should give at least a 35% armor buff even without the ruin and should give 100 fire resist, it makes sense right, because to have Frozen Armor effective you have to get HIT and activate the CC. "Lightning Armor" should give 35% extra resistance to elements when activated, which is just a few ideas to throw at you guys.

If you DEVs check my wizard build you'll find its unique because its meant for tanking and prismatic armor allows me to be in the front of most battles protecting the squishy builds in the back, its challenging because I trade in damage for tanking items in order to tank for a public game because not everyone likes to TANK and its challenging to tank, do decent damage and stay alive. Why do you guys want just Barbarians and Monks to be doing that job? In games such as this its fun to experiment, you guys are basically taking out numbers out of the equation and making the game narrow. You blizzard people think this is going to get player numbers up?
Edited by Superfresh#1815 on 9/30/2012 7:06 AM PDT
I really hope they reconsider changing the STI passive on the monks. Monks are hard enough to build without spending a considerable amount of gold or money on the RMAH once you get to a certain point, and nerfing one of the largest positive passives to them would not help.

Although dodge chance does come into play, we are all quite aware of the glass jaw monks have when they actually do get hit by an enemy. Also, dodge chance does not work for some AOE attacks, such as molten, desecrator, etc.

I also feel that this loss in armor through the nerf will make players resort to stacking even more resists to accommodate for the lack of armor, thereby increasing the necessity of OWE. As that passive is already overly used by most, and seemingly necessary to use, i don't think it would be a good idea to change STI. STI is probably the only passive for monks that i would consider even close to as powerful as OWE.

Not to mention there are plenty of people (who use monks) that have tested out the PTR and feel the same. After browsing through many of the forum posts, there are maybe a small handful that i saw that do not disagree with the changes to STI. And by small handful, i mean maybe 3-5 people. The rest, at what ever number, do not want the change.

If the purpose of the PTR was to test out the changes and give feedback, i think it is time that we listen to the player base on a decision like this.
I play monk and wiz, and feel like inferno will be hopeless, unless I hide behind a few barbs or get really lucky. Maybe I just need to play some more to follow the mechanics a bit better.

One thing that would be nice is to add more to do in the game. I know people can hit pretty hard, and get high value items, but what else can they do? Maybe buy gems from the wh, drive the price up and make the next level gem?
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]