Diablo® III

Dev Journal: Defensive Bonuses Discussion

(Locked)

The fun part of diablo 2 was that you could do whatever you wanted pretty much. You could make a build based off an item, melee sorc, warcry barb. i think this update is a step in the right direction. This and 5 seem to be using actual data instead or random fixes and opinions.

Diablo players want D2 with better graphics, more phat loot, and memorable bosses. They don't want a whole new game. I feel these latest updates are geared toward that. Been playing Diablo since I was 5, when it came out for win 95
It's totally fine to nerf the defensive bonus since the incoming damage is reduced. But I don't understand why would you nerf the wizzard skill Energy Twister. You just reduced the coefficient of Energy Twister to 0.125 which used to be 0.5. My wizzard is based on critical chance and with CM I can reduce the cooldown to almost instantly. But now I found that even with 51.5% critical chance I can hardly let my skills cooldown so that I can take the next hit from the monsters. I do hope if you can increase that coefficient a little bit.
So the Demon Hunters pets are now going to be useful,should have been like this in the first place.I can't say I have ever seen a game with such a lack of direction or thought put into the combat system,the sheer volume of useless runes speaks volumes about the clear lack of direction in my opinion.If the developers actually played the game before release they would have seen for themselves the sheer volumes of failings the game has.
Edited by Bluddflagg#6648 on 10/16/2012 12:41 AM PDT
i see it like this :
all this nerfs getting game more or less balanced and maybe more diverse...all that work for few maybe's...i'm not complaining tho i have 3k dex on my monk so 1500 def gone, consider the fact that i die from things I CANNOT dodge anyway, so i'm in loss...

in all those "subtle" changes all i see is increased revenues from RMAH, and i would bet 10 Euros with any person that has insight in money revenues that profit has dropped, so let's think of a way to milk some more...
but what you fail to see is that you community ( and revenues with it ) is dropping because the lack of new content that will keep us glued to our computers for just 1 hour longer - i can sleep when i die...really sad thing to see more and more of my buddies are "not logged in 5-8-10-15 days"...

OK, new super bosses and player X function...isn't it all the same? don't i get stronger boss if i turn higher "player X"...all the same to me if it's 1 stronger or 2 mediocre...also on the same note, having higher "player X" will increase MF, that is not helping since bosses drop blue or yellow items for me anyway ( remember MF only affects that you will find magic item, not better quality one )...will help with farm, but i wanna do something else, on occasion, in this game beside farm it...

gameplay is still not improved in anyway to have more fun...no PvP, 1 new event that actually sounds not challenging, no new act or secret stage, just same old farm-farm-farm and hope you get lege every 3-4 weeks that will not suck ...
Edited by bsBlues#2155 on 10/16/2012 4:51 PM PDT
Just add flav stats & specific cross-class ability in "items" only, this will give infinite roll of choices thus milk. Dun believe me, ask any pro... Really-really pro players, do trial & you'll see what I mean. Then occasional 'Limited Edition' drops.

In regards of topic: there is 2 type of defense layer penetrable & non. Conventionally & or by accident. In D3 (also in D2 albeit controlled) there's always the non-intentional type due to latency reason, is best that to address these first i.e by adding "time-stabilizer" upon contact. You'll figure it out.
i like the idea of monster power .. I hope the low level items will be left out , on higher difficulty. it's rather frustrating getting a lvl 58 item on a hard kill.
I like the idea of monster power tho i dont find skill changes balancing the game at all...
I understand that mass usage of only one skill rune makes the others depreciate, this barb and wizi nerfs of armor and resists vs. less monster dmg is a good way, no doubts, but why do they massively affect only barb with wizi?

i've leved all 5 classes to 60 on hc, in my eyes ladder of power of each class would look like this : 1.wd with huge difference, 2.-5. the rest
witch doctor with zombie bears, 4 pets, nice life regen with passive for pets - pets tank everything and bears kill everything, after 1.0.4 mana regen boost and huge survivability boost of pets this overpower of one character has become much more clear, and now becomes even more?

with nerfing both monster dmg and wizi + barb defensive skills, how is wd affected? it's just going to be 25% easier again, and sorry, i dont take this jungle fortitude 5% nerf as an answer:>

it's nice that u argue your changes with pretty skill usage charts, why dont u show up with one of zombie bears usage among witch doctors?:>
Dear blizzard

Many changes for monks were promised and discussed over and over.

I'm mostly indicating the passive skills issue.

Sincerely, our passive consist of very good defensive bonuses and a bunch of utility stuff and minor dmg upgrades not rly worth mentioning (maybe the combination strike is just a bit better then the rest)

Now that you nerfed another 2 passive skills (resolve and seize the initiative) what should we specc like? Those were the favorite picks for most monks not because they were extremely good (ye we aint mitigating any more than a wizard or a barb) but because the rest of our passives is mostly useless.

Spirit related passives are a bit everywhere, yet it should definitely sustain a healing option as well (something more then transcendence).

The game is going one way at the very moment. Critical hits and critical hits dmg. And it seems its not gonna change for a long while.

Now with the defensive skills nerf it looks like the game is getting a definitive shape where only one build is actually good.

The dmg nerf for monsters is oke, but at a higher level (anything but 1 and 2 i suppose) it will require like a crazy higher amount of stats to get the same tanking efficiency or even get close to it.

I definitely went a bit off topic but the changes that u made for example near death experience or 2 extra spirit gain after using breath of heaven just dont go anywhere close to what has been told monks will be.

Hope to see a patch where you will actually do the changes that are needed avoiding the constant talk about being afraid to make monks way too equal to barbarians.
"Super Tanky monk?!?" Monks are melee characters. They have to be tanky or they don't last long. I mean dash works to get out of tough situations, but you deal no damage while your running in circles, so whats the point?
I've been playing a wizard since day 1. The first few months I was running for my life, dying ALL THE TIME in Inferno. That was with the kite build. Then I discovered the CM / melee build. It was a life saver. Over the last two months, I've been playing a LOT more because I was able to survive in inferno & build my wizard up even better. Before this patch hit, I was extremely happy. Now I'm gonna be playing a LOT less if at all & for one reason. The nerf of Energy Twister. It's my 'bread & butter'. I don't care about the defensive nerfs cuz I didn't have to use them. But this massive cut in proc co-efficient has ruined my gameplay. LOH doesn't work, CM cooldowns don't work, etc. I was looking forward to the MP challenge, but nerfing energy twister has made that impossible. Storm Chaser at .5 was too high, but .125 is WAY too low & like many other wizards, if it isn't changed I think I'm just gonna quit playing.
that's cus when stupid blizzard nerfs. They dont just change it a little. They over nerf the f u c k out of everything which is retarded.
Edited by evilorc#1961 on 10/18/2012 2:00 AM PDT
I still show up and look at the forums from time to time.

Once I found out my way of playing was nerfed away I just lost the will to keep playing this game.

I guess I should be more flexible,but I just am not.

I assume Blizzard will never revert the nerfs to impunity and the enchantress armor nerf so I wonder if I should simply stop looking.

I guess it did save me some money when they sell an expansion down the line.
I can't sleep last night after watching Fight Club... Beginning to feel insomniac tsk!*

Why Monk have been nerf that bad? I'm not sure about Wizard, haven't played it yet.

Good gosh... My tin foil hat buzzzinggggggg! zing! zing! zing!

Is it possible the main reason behind the tremendous nerf on Monks due to... <look left & right>

Ouchies!

Blizzard been secretly testing Monk Vs Barbarian in their own vanilla PvP set up, where Monk actually ownage?!

Oh my god.

This could be.

;)

OP: Monk are meant to fight while kiting, can we have this "strafe" thanks :)
Monks still crying, haven't yet realized what net buff means? Monk was one of the few classes who didn't receive any nerfs.
;)
Btw yes you can have my strafe if you want it.
Monks LMB attacks are stationary, it should be fluid like for example punch i.e doing Thunderclap while moving-mouse directed as in Strafe. Nearest possibility with TR as combo as of currently but lame, it should be full pledge strafe & possibly with "Mark" ability as in Assassin Class Dungeon Siege 2, Expansion.

EDIT: A bit of weird up there, I mean how can you LMB attack while strafe moving diagonally around a target unless use of 'W' button? It should be:

1.LMB -- Attack.
2.RMB -- Strafe a new Skill, a 1 click move/ slide 4 yards mouse-directed.
3.Whatever...
Edited by SinOsiris#6936 on 10/19/2012 3:18 AM PDT
Nerfing inferno to me has always seemed like a bad idea, just to help people go faster, its like removing hills in a race.... its faster but what feels more of an achievement: running to the top of a mountain, or running down a flat road. If people cant farm fast enough to be effective in inferno, then what blizzard should say is farm from the bottom up like the rest of the players you lazy bugger, not oh ok we can make it easier for you then.

Monster power is great, not a fan of your defense nerfs however, couldn't you just leave things how they were? if you nerf something but have to make up for it by changing monster power isnt that a little pointless..... i liked my defense skills they turned me into some sort of sexual tyrannosaurus pin cushion.
Nerfing inferno to me has always seemed like a bad idea, just to help people go faster, its like removing hills in a race.... its faster but what feels more of an achievement: running to the top of a mountain, or running down a flat road. If people cant farm fast enough to be effective in inferno, then what blizzard should say is farm from the bottom up like the rest of the players you lazy bugger, not oh ok we can make it easier for you then.

Monster power is great, not a fan of your defense nerfs however, couldn't you just leave things how they were? if you nerf something but have to make up for it by changing monster power isnt that a little pointless..... i liked my defense skills they turned me into some sort of sexual tyrannosaurus pin cushion.

Agree.

Just to add, current Inferno difficulty (nerfed) as in MP0.
seems like it opens up alot of new content and new ways imo :)
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]