Diablo® III

Diablo 3's successor

If you have not tried it yet Path of Exile is free to try this weekend. If you want to try a game that has good itemization and good customization then I suggest that you give it a shot. Those of you who really like D3 probably won't be that interested in POE. Those of you who hate D3 or who are getting really tired of D3 due to its issues will probably enjoy its finer qualities. The best part is that the devs listen to the problems and even respond to you in the fourms. Devs NOT reps or anyone else who doesn't actually work on the game.

Those of you who have tried it in the past might want to try it again because of some of the latest patches that have made the game even better.
Reply Quote
Bump if anyone has any questions about the game. Feel free to ask
Reply Quote
more like POS
Reply Quote
If you have something negative to say about Path of Exile then please elaborate because I would love to discuss it. If you haven't played the game then please don't try to judge it. Diablo 3 (a full release) has far bigger problems than POE which is a closed beta. Just saying...
Reply Quote
Diablo 3 has better combat than PoE. At least it was since the last time I played it.
Reply Quote
PoE is garbage
Reply Quote
Having played both games I would say the combat in D3 is a bit smoother and faster from start to finish. However I have two points to add on this....

1) In Path of Exile the combat gets faster as you BUILD you character. The character is not made for you and delivered on a platter.

2) D3's combat was never an issue for me. It was the best part of the game. However IMO combat can not support a game. The shallow itemization/customization makes the game boring....and games are meant to be fun. I would much rather play Path of Exile even if the games combat was worse than it is currently.

Also, POE's combat is great and getting better all the time. If you want to see for yourself then try it out this weekend for free.
Reply Quote
09/13/2012 07:06 PMPosted by Teo
PoE is garbage

The game your apparently still playing is garbage and I can actually explain why it is garbage. I would love to hear whats so "garbage" about POE. All people like you say is vague bull crap. Makes me think your trying to convince yourself that D3 is still a great game.
Reply Quote
Here are some major differences between the games that some of you might like or not like...

Path of Exile does not use any gold. The currency is orbs that you use to craft your weapons/armor/jewelry. I really like this because I haven't played an ARPG that uses gold successfully. I hated grinding for crazy amounts of gold in D3 to buy crap on the AH

The passive skill tree is gigantic. Some people are intimidated by the tree but its really not hard to figure out. You can just stay in your characters section of the skill tree until you learn more about it and then you can start to borrow passives from the other classes. I enjoy planning out my build and the best part is that I don't stress too much about messing up my build because there are plenty of easy ways to respec the points (without it being so easy to be arbitrary sort of like D3)

Skills and Spells are gems that you socket into your items. This is very different at first but you get used to it fast and its friggin awesome. It takes customization to the next level. I have so much fun just thinking of ways to use the gems with the skill tree to make interesting builds.

There is already a PVE end game using maps that you find on the ground. Really fun
PVP will be there for open beta and I think will be in the next big patch.

Thanks for reading.
Reply Quote
Eh, it's not that good. Played a month or two ago when it was free for the weekend, and wasn't impressed when I was really looking forward to it. Gonna try it again this weekend to see if anything changed, but D3 is definitely better IMO. Just smoother and better to look at than the brownish hue PoE had. And combat in PoE felt way too clunky. Like half my attacks missed on enemies right in the beginning. I'm pretty sure I wasn't doing anything wrong, either.
Reply Quote
09/13/2012 07:40 PMPosted by MedievalFan
Eh, it's not that good. Played a month or two ago when it was free for the weekend, and wasn't impressed when I was really looking forward to it. Gonna try it again this weekend to see if anything changed, but D3 is definitely better IMO. Just smoother and better to look at than the brownish hue PoE had. And combat in PoE felt way too clunky. Like half my attacks missed on enemies right in the beginning. I'm pretty sure I wasn't doing anything wrong, either.

If your not into the graphics then thats fine. I enjoy the more realistic gritty tone. The combat will continue to improve, but like I said before graphics and combat does not make D3 better IMO. Combat and graphics cannot save D3 for long. A boring game is a boring game. The loot and customization in D3 is terrible and its kind of required for this genre.
Reply Quote
09/13/2012 07:40 PMPosted by MedievalFan
And combat in PoE felt way too clunky. Like half my attacks missed on enemies right in the beginning. I'm pretty sure I wasn't doing anything wrong, either.

You weren't. That's part of the combat system. At lower levels, you're not so good at fighting, so you miss more often. As you level up, and get better gear, your accuracy improves and you miss less often. Same with attack speed. At lower levels you hit slowly, and as you improve, you can speed up your attacks.
Reply Quote
09/13/2012 06:47 PMPosted by stryker
The best part is that the devs listen to the problems and even respond to you in the fourms. Devs NOT reps or anyone else who doesn't actually work on the game.

Understandable, given the microscopic size of Grinding Gear Games.

However, developers spending their time on the forums generally means less time spent on actual game development; that's why companies hire representatives whenever they get the chance.
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf#1953 on 9/14/2012 1:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]