Diablo® III

Diablo in real life

It would be interesting if they made a Diablo game with the real names of angels such as Michael and Gabriel, and refered as Diablo as his real names, Satan and Lucifer.
With the venue of Diablo 3 Act 4 in the High Heavens, it would be great if God himself and probably Jesus Christ should come to the player's aid.
Edited by leekonghian#1936 on 10/29/2012 10:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Structuring Diablo games around real-world religions might now work out well. Not only does the Diablo universe have it's own religions, but people in the real world that play the game come from many different religious backgrounds.

As far as angels and demons go, I think that they're just people. A good person that dies and goes to Heaven can become an angel, and an evil person that dies and goes to Hell can become a demon. Do they fight with each other? Maybe.
Reply Quote
i still think someone should remake diablo 2 (mechanically a near copy) and then call it "satan" or "kill satan" and then change the names of all the characters.
Reply Quote
Read the following paragraph about the Angiris Council:

The Council has had the following members encompass its body:

Imperius
The Archangel of Valor. The effective leader of the Council.[2] Was incapacitated during Diablo's invasion of Heaven.[3]He is brash and acts before thinking. Has red, flaming wings.

Tyrael
Formerly the Archangel of Justice. Becomes mortal after his fall from heaven. Declared he would "stand as wisdom."[4]He intervenes with the mortal world many times, much to the dismay of Imperius. Has blue, glowing wings like much of the angels of heaven.

Auriel
The Archangel of Hope. Only female, and still a member of the Council.[3]Closest to Itherael. She has glowing purple wings.

Itherael
The Archangel of Fate.[2] Neither male nor female.[5] Still a member of the Council. Reads the Scroll of Fate. [3]Cannot see the fate of mortals, because they were not meant to exist and thus are not mentioned in the scroll. Itherael has bright white wings.

Malthael
The Archangel of Wisdom. Disappeared after the destruction of the Worldstone.[2]Endlessly wanders Pandemonium, searching for answers to the universe.
Edited by leekonghian#1936 on 10/29/2012 3:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
This is the list of seven archangels from Christian tradition:

The earliest reference to a system of seven archangels as a group appears to be in Enoch I (the Book of Enoch) which is not part of the Jewish Canon but is prevalent in the Judeo tradition, where they are named as Gabriel, Michael, Raphael, Uriel, Raguel, Remiel and Saraqael.

Gabriel (Hebrew: גַּבְרִיאֵל, Modern Gavri'el Tiberian Gaḇrîʼēl, God is my strength; Arabic: جبريل, Jibrīl or جبرائيل Jibrāʾīl) is an archangel who typically serves as a messenger to humans from God. (Portrayed by Itherael)

Michael means "Who is like God?". Only Michael is called an archangel in the Bible. The original meaning of the name Michael gave rise to the Latin phrase Quis ut Deus? which can be seen on his artistic portrayals when he rhetorically and scornfully asks Who is like God? as he defeats Satan. (Portrayed by Imperius)

Raphael (Standard Hebrew רָפָאֵל, Rāfāʾēl, "It is God who heals", "God Heals", "God, Please Heal") is an archangel of Judaism and Christianity, who in the Judeo-Christian tradition performs all manners of healing. In Islam, Raphael is the same as Israfel. Raphael first appears disguised in human form as the travelling companion of Tobit's son, Tobiah. (Portrayed by Tyrael)

Uriel (אוּרִיאֵל "El/God is my light", Auriel/Oriel (God is my light) Standard Hebrew Uriʾel, Tiberian Hebrew ʾÛrîʾēl) is one of the archangels of post-Exilic Rabbinic tradition, and also of certain Christian traditions. His name may have analogies with Uriah.
Uriel is often identified as a cherub and angel of repentance. (Portrayed by Auriel)

Raguel (Raguil, Rasuil, Rufael, Suryan, Akrasiel) is one of the seven archangels mainly of the Judaic traditions. His name's meaning is considered to be "Friend of God". Raguel is referred to as the archangel of justice, fairness and harmony. (Portrayed by Tyrael)

Ramiel means "thunder of God" from the Hebrew elements ra'am and El, "God". Remiel is one of the archangels of the Christian and Islamic traditions, the Hebrew name meaning "Mercy of God" or "Compassion of God". Remiel is the angel of hope. He is called Jeremiel or Uriel in various translations of IV Esdras. (Portrayed by Auriel)

Sariel (Aramaic: זהריאל, Greek: ‘Ατριήλ, 'Command of God') is one of the archangels mainly from Judaic tradition. Other possible versions of his name are Suriel, Suriyel (in some Dead Sea Scrolls translations), Esdreel, Sahariel, Juriel, Seriel, Sauriel, Surya, Saraqael, Sarakiel, Jariel, Suruel, Surufel and Sourial. Suriel is sometimes identified with Ariel, Metatron, and Uriel. Suriel is a prince of presence and like Raphael, an angel of healing. It is said that Moses received all his knowledge from Suriel. Sariel specifically taught men about the course of the moon. (Portrayed by Malthael)
Edited by leekonghian#1936 on 10/29/2012 10:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The above passages were taken from diablo.wikia.com and www.wikipedia.com.
Reply Quote
I would not play the game if the angel's name is Michael or Gabriel; Demon's name is Lucifer or Satan.
If Jesus or whatever the God appears in the Diablo Universe, I would throw the game out.
Why? Because it is soooo boring!!! Not creative at all.
Plus, we are not playing a religious game here. There are billions of people from many different religion backgrounds in this world, not only Bible.
Reply Quote
In chapter 4 when Tyrael said Diablo generates from a torso of a dragon and heaven from a body of justice; sounds like D&D storyline about dragon deities: Io's offspring Tiamat and Bahamut will fight their eternal war.
Hope new story will move on.
Reply Quote
Mephisto, Baal and Diablo are real pagan god's. They are evil or menacing but they existed once. As for the angels, I think one or two have real god names but thats it.
Reply Quote
Mephisto, Baal and Diablo are real pagan god's. They are evil or menacing but they existed once. As for the angels, I think one or two have real god names but thats it.

All debate of gods "existing" aside, Mephisto's name comes from Mephistopheles, a demon character who originated in literature somewhere in the 1500s. He's as much a "god" as Neron.

Baal is a title, and one that was used to refer to a bunch of gods. A good deal of them were benevolent or, at worst, indifferent, not evil. Worshipers of Yahweh just happened to oppose those who worshiped the Ba'als and (surprise!) Yahweh worshipers attempted to demonize the practices of a culture that didn't fall perfectly in line with their own by calling the gods "evil" and "false idols". Eventually, demonlogists (not being all that creative and often failing to research a topic completely before writing about it) started collecting lists of "demons" and "devils" for their books on black magic, and several Ba'als made it in, including Baalzephon (actually a title for Zeus. Yes, that Zeus), Baalberith and Baalzebul (which became Beelzebub, which may or may not just be another name for Baalberith. Funny how that works).

EDIT: Furthermore, others have even written about the entity "Baal" as a demon, and he (she? it?) receives a lot of press in Goetic sources, with descriptions of Baal being associated with cats or toads ("evil" creatures, mind you, dating back to the ol' witchy times), even though the most well-known entity referred to as Baal in actual, non let's-make-!@#$-up lore was a storm god associated with bulls (Hadad was the god's "actual" name, by the way, in the same way that the Judeochristian god isn't actually "named" "God"). To further confuse and/or amuse anyone who, for some reason, is still reading this, Baal in demonology is known as one of seven princes of Hell. Why, what an orderly system, one might say! This hierarchy dates all the way back to the ancient date of 1589 and the work of Peter Binsfield, a Catholic bishop who supported the idea of confession by torture who decided that, since there are 7 deadly sins, each must have a corresponding evil being associated with it, so he himself decided who the princes of Hell must be.

Seriously.

This is why researching mythological beings is a pain in the %^-, and don't even get me STARTED on Collin de Plancy.

TL;DR: n0rain has no idea what they're talking about. At all.
Edited by TDW1996#1743 on 1/26/2013 4:09 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warrior
Then answer this...why did tyrial come down as a black man? Why not hispanic, oriental, white, indian, south pacific islander?

Just curious how it was determined?
Edited by MaxCarnage#1211 on 1/26/2013 2:22 PM PST
Reply Quote

How does elaborating on what I said constitute me being ignorant on the subject? Are you stupid or just an !@#$%^- with secular and pointless info?
Reply Quote
01/26/2013 05:21 PMPosted by n0rain

How does elaborating on what I said constitute me being ignorant on the subject? Are you stupid or just an !@#$%^- with secular and pointless info?

Not sure why I'm bothering to respond to a troll, but...

What you said was wrong, and my post explained it.
Reply Quote
wtf with d3 i ceanot login olwaist error 14004 3 !@#$ing days helpppppppppppppppp
Reply Quote
01/27/2013 12:16 AMPosted by TDW1996

Not sure why I'm bothering to respond to a troll, but...

What you said was wrong, and my post explained it.

You did so well of explaining how people believed in demons with similar names. Which is what I said with less detail since a google search is all it takes. Funny, you call me a troll when you have made it very apparent in this thread that you have some pre-existing quarrel with me. I don't think you understand what Troll means. I'd suggest reading up on it.
Reply Quote
Alright, this is the last time I'm going to bother responding here.

You said "Mephisto, Baal and Diablo are real pagan god's. They are evil or menacing but they existed once. As for the angels, I think one or two have real god names but thats it."

Mephisto, like Neron (a comic book demon), is fictional in the sense that it originated as a fictional creation in literature in the 1500s, with no worshipers and no previous history as any sort of supernatural entity. It's as made up as Spider-Man. Mephisto was never a pagan god.

Baal is a title for several pagan gods, though Baal itself is not a singular entity. Therefore, Baal was never a pagan god, though Baal-Hammon, Baal-Berith, and other Baals were. "Baal" is a classifier, not an individual. Furthermore, most of the Baals were not evil within their own practices and pantheons, though Yahweh worshipers called them evil. Calling a thing something other than what it is does not make it so. For example, I could say Jesus Christ ate babies and was evil and menacing, but the existing lore on Jesus Christ (not my new fanon, which is essentially what the works of Yahweh worshipers and later demonologists was) does not support that, therefore Christ wasn't a baby eater. Get what I'm saying?

Diablo, if you attach El to it, is a title that is used as a proper name, and though many mythological beings could be called devil, very few could be called THE Devil. This is the only entity out of the three you mentioned that could be accurately called menacing and (debatably) evil according to "canon" lore, which is why I only discussed the other two. I could get into how ha-Satan actually serves the purpose of accuser, not corrupter, but I suspect you're not exactly interested in how these beings developed in lore, given your attitude.

Again, you said "Mephisto, Baal and Diablo are real pagan god's. They are evil or menacing but they existed once. As for the angels, I think one or two have real god names but thats it."

2 out of the 3 were not pagan gods. Depending on your definition, it could be argued that NONE of them were or are.

1 out of the 3 was not and is not menacing, though we're now talking about a class of being and average temperments, not an individual. 2 of the three are menacing, but of those 2, only one can be considered truly evil, while the lore on the other (going back to first appearances, not later corruptions and perversions of existed canon) is arguably good in that it serves the purpose it is meant to serve without intent to corrupt, destroy, pervert, or cause harm.

"How does elaborating on what I said constitute me being ignorant on the subject? Are you stupid or just an !@#$%^- with secular and pointless info?"
To answer this question, when the elaboration shows that your assertions are wrong, it proves ignorance. The info is far from pointless.

"You did so well of explaining how people believed in demons with similar names."
I also mentioned how one of those "demons" was considered a demon in the same way that Spider-Man is considered someone who actually saves lives, in that it isn't, except in the stories it exists in. The other one also isn't a demon (or even a singular entity), though people have started calling it that over 1000 years later, despite the fact that the ACTUAL LORE, that which was not an intentional corruption or subversion of the canon representations of the being (or in this case, class of beings), is evidence to the contrary.

" Which is what I said with less detail since a google search is all it takes"
No, it really isn't.

"you have made it very apparent in this thread that you have some pre-existing quarrel with me"
I don't know you from Adam. My issue with you is that A.) you're full of !@#$, and this is coming from someone whose chosen field of study is mythology and the evolution of the representation and nature of mythological beings in folklore and the, often literal, demonization of pagan entities by the church, and B.) you're adamantly sticking to a position which is not only false, but clearly a result of someone who knows next to nothing about the subject.

As for the topic,

01/27/2013 04:27 PMPosted by n0rain
I'd suggest reading up on it.

Now, I'm done wasting my time here. If you actually want to pull your head out of your %^- and educate yourself about this topic, do some research, or get in touch with Dr. Foster, the director of undergraduate studies at Harvard. While she's more interested in African oral traditions, she still knows far more about this subject than you can find on Google.
Reply Quote
Mephisto, like Neron (a comic book demon), is fictional in the sense that it originated as a fictional creation in literature in the 1500s, with no worshipers and no previous history as any sort of supernatural entity. It's as made up as Spider-Man. Mephisto was never a pagan god.

Mephistophilus, Mephistophilis, Mephostopheles, Mephisto, Mephastophilis and variants) is a demon featured in German Folklore. So maybe "god's" was an erroneous word, but on that level of semantic thought you are just being a prick.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/folklore?s=t

Baal is a title for several pagan gods, though Baal itself is not a singular entity. Therefore, Baal was never a pagan god, though Baal-Hammon, Baal-Berith, and other Baals were. "Baal" is a classifier, not an individual. Furthermore, most of the Baals were not evil within their own practices and pantheons, though Yahweh worshipers called them evil. Calling a thing something other than what it is does not make it so. For example, I could say Jesus Christ ate babies and was evil and menacing, but the existing lore on Jesus Christ (not my new fanon, which is essentially what the works of Yahweh worshipers and later demonologists was) does not support that, therefore Christ wasn't a baby eater. Get what I'm saying?

Again, you seem to be incapable of reading between the lines.

Baal(Sometimes spelled Bael) is in 17th Century goetic occult writings. He is one of the seven princes of Hell. The name is drawn from the Canaanite deity Baal mentioned in the Hebrew Bible as the primary god of the Phoenicians.

I haven't stated one way or the other whether I believe any god, angel or demon has existed. I only stated that history and literature has alluded to peoples beliefs in such things. If Baal is evil to joey and good to mary who cares. The fact they think Baal exists is proof that he existed. Again, I am not saying I believe he existed. Did King Arthur exist? Maybe. People believe that he did once live and was as great as the legend says he is. I'm not saying they indefinitely existed among mankind. I am saying they existed as a belief for people. Which yes, Baal as one of the seven princes of hell existed as a belief. I just didn't make it clear since I don't want to type out 8 paragraphs of info every time I respond in a thread.

2 out of the 3 were not pagan gods. Depending on your definition, it could be argued that NONE of them were or are.

I'M NOT SAYING I THINK THEY EXISTED AND IN THE FASHION YOU HAVE SUGGESTED! JESUS !@#$ING CHRIST YOU ARE SO ANNOYING!

Now that we have that out of the way. I never said that the characters we are talking about were evil, much less whether they existed as a fact. i'm just going to stop responding to your trolling comments.

01/27/2013 09:46 PMPosted by TDW1996
I also mentioned how one of those "demons" was considered a demon in the same way that Spider-Man is considered someone who actually saves lives, in that it isn't, except in the stories it exists in.

Yes and this is how faith is derived. Through stories. The legends of the past validate peoples belief systems in things that may otherwise not exist. You are looking way too into my statements. It's like for some strange reason you are discrediting the folklore for the shear purpose of being an %^-*!@#. Just stop $%^-ing trolling me please. I NEVER SAID I believed in Mephisto, Baal, or Diablo!

01/27/2013 09:46 PMPosted by TDW1996
My issue with you is that A.) you're full of !@#$,

You still haven't proved that people never believed in demons that were variations of the names used in the game so no I am not full of *!@#. You're just full of yourself and took vague statements out of context.
Reply Quote
Then answer this...why did tyrial come down as a black man? Why not hispanic, oriental, white, indian, south pacific islander?

Just curious how it was determined?
They needed at least one other black main character other than Cain or the liberals would whine.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]