Diablo® III

Torchlight 2 is better than diablo 3

I bought TL2 and i hate it. I've the feeling every ARPG's released since D3 (D3 included) will be crap. Like any MMORPG's released since WoW (WoW included) are crap. Please Blizzard, don't touch turn based wargames. This is the only genre still decent. Thanks.
Reply Quote
im playing torchlight 2 now and well let me just say it is the what i expected diablo 3 was going to be like so im off diablo 3 and going for torchlight 2. see ya diablo 3 i wasted to much time with you and your dumped
Reply Quote
09/19/2012 02:48 PMPosted by Begaria
I'm confused. Diablo 3 clearly is the sequel to Diablo 2 due to the name, lore, and history. I could've sworn Torchlight 2 was the sequel to Torchlight. Confirm/deny?

I think OP is referring to the fact that the team behind Torchlight and Torchlight 2 contains the creators of Diablo and Diablo 2. Thus Torchlight 2 can be seen as more of a sequel than Diablo 3 because it is the continuation of the vision of those designers.

...that's the argument anyway. For what it's worth, I had a lot of fun playing Diablo 3, but I quit around Act 3 inferno because of the ridiculous and pointless grind forcing you to use the auction house. I've been playing Torchlight 2 (and Borderlands 2) lately, and to me the gameplay does feel a lot like a continuation of the direction of the Diablo franchise...moreso than Diablo 3, aesthetics notwithstanding.
Edited by Fëanor#1385 on 9/23/2012 11:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
09/19/2012 01:18 PMPosted by Strawhat
but it's more for those Diablo 2 players that preferred playing single-player or with small groups of people they knew.

TL2 has up to 6 players in a group, D3 has up to 4. Not sure what you're saying here...
Reply Quote
If the item economy was your sole reason for playing/validating a game, then you're probably not looking for fun. You're looking for a job.
Reply Quote
There is no way Torchlight 2 is better than Diablo 3 in terms of artistic creation, story, and depth. It just isn't close. That isn't to say that its not a very entertaining game in itself. Diablo 3's story, style, and presentation are way more involving if you choose to pay attention to the details. I think the reason why people are repping Torchlight 2 so much is for a few reasons.

1. Torchlight 2 adds convenience -- such as sending your pet to town with shopping lists and loot offloading (a great feature) / Not to mention its nice to have a strong pet ally at your side to take the heat off
2. It has a cartoony vibe which some people are very into.
3. Many people dont care about story, and for them, a rich experience isnt as important. The story is brainless, predictable, and forgettable. (Some people just want to kill and acquire)
4. Leveling is faster (instant gratification complex)
5. Choice of Item rewards for quests (Diablo 3 could have used this instead of just drops)
6. Im sure there's more but I'm done thinking about it.

Anyway. Torchlight 2 is better in some minute ways, but in terms of an overall achievement I'd definitely rank Diablo 3 better than Torchlight 2
Reply Quote
There is no way Torchlight 2 is better than Diablo 3 in terms of artistic creation, story, and depth. It just isn't close. That isn't to say that its not a very entertaining game in itself. Diablo 3's story, style, and presentation are way more involving if you choose to pay attention to the details. I think the reason why people are repping Torchlight 2 so much is for a few reasons.

1. Torchlight 2 adds convenience -- such as sending your pet to town with shopping lists and loot offloading (a great feature) / Not to mention its nice to have a strong pet ally at your side to take the heat off
2. It has a cartoony vibe which some people are very into.
3. Many people dont care about story, and for them, a rich experience isnt as important. The story is brainless, predictable, and forgettable. (Some people just want to kill and acquire)
4. Leveling is faster (instant gratification complex)
5. Choice of Item rewards for quests (Diablo 3 could have used this instead of just drops)
6. Im sure there's more but I'm done thinking about it.

Anyway. Torchlight 2 is better in some minute ways, but in terms of an overall achievement I'd definitely rank Diablo 3 better than Torchlight 2

1. That pet is so you don't have to return to town to stop your gaming to do trivial things such as REPAIR which TL2 doesn't even have repair thank god or SELL JUNK or BUY POTS, it doesn't take the heat off if you've played at all on Elite your pet gets wrecked like nothing during boss fights and doesn't amount to tip the scales in a huge favor towards yourself, not to mention if you party with friends !@#$ hits the fan faster than D3's inferno.
2. That's just subjective who gives a crap about graphics in any game it's just a bonus. A game you want functionality end of story. First games made on PC were text-based ffs.
3. Don't go about story, seriously because D3's absolutely not there, the subliminal message D3 sends out is that it utterly hates D2. You kill off deckard who fking ninja'ed D1 and D2 without ever getting killed then suddenly he gets owned by a WoW fairy? seriously? Kill off the horadric line? There goes your lore. Zoltun Kulle? I was forced to kill this guy? He just wanted to help nephalem, yeah okay. makes total sense.
4. Levelling is what? D3 has more depth than Torchlight2's depth? What the %^-*? Dude if you can't allocate statpoints for yourself or skillpoints you have no depth, that's called simplification meaning you're getting more SHALLOW not DEEP.

5. D3's rewards are... get owned at inferno with the unsuspecting unpreparedness from Hell unless you went Auction House then congrats, you've totally skipped the game's message.

6. I sure hope you are lol your thoughts aren't very in-depth.
Edited by KradisZ#1651 on 9/25/2012 12:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
For the most part I think there are many places Torchlight 2 excels, but bottom line for me is, no server side char storage is going shorten the lifespan of the game substantially. I like the idea of opening up the game to modders, but I also like the idea of having closed servers to play on. I would have happily paid $60 instead of $20 for that feature.

The loot system does seem a bit better in TL2, but the magic of finding such a great item on a client-side game just isn't there.

With all that said I will continue to play both games. I do crave the challenge Hardcore TL2 Elite mode provides.
Reply Quote
09/19/2012 02:48 PMPosted by Begaria
I'm confused. Diablo 3 clearly is the sequel to Diablo 2 due to the name, lore, and history. I could've sworn Torchlight 2 was the sequel to Torchlight. Confirm/deny?

When an author writes a novel of so many series then they switch authors and you followed that first author for many years and suddenly find out he's writing something else would you follow him or take on the new author that's now replacing your beloved series?
Reply Quote
I concure with most of the above. I started playing TL2 last week and havent even logged into my Diablo 3 account since. Its just not worth it. If I would have known then what I know now, I wouldn't have spent the $60 on Diablo 3.
Reply Quote
Torchlight 2 more features end of story
Reply Quote
TL2 isn't as good as TL1, and TL2 isn't as good as D3. That's my personal preferance.

There is no right or wrong answer, and anyone claiming there is has issues with insecurity since they can't tolerate anyone having a different point of view.
Reply Quote
wtf major necro here.
Reply Quote
02/13/2013 11:53 AMPosted by Vladis
wtf major necro here.

There are no Necros in D3, hopefully in the next expansion. = )
Reply Quote
I googled "Torchlight 2 is better than diablo 3" and this thread came up.

Necro as %&(*, but I concur.

Some of you fanboy's are mental over this sad sack O'$#!* game.
Reply Quote
look this : :) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOo7jZFy2Xw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcJ_XT3oWtY
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]