Diablo® III

Torchlight 2 is better than diablo 3

83 Gnome Mage
07/17/2013 12:37 AMPosted by Thaide
I googled "Torchlight 2 is better than diablo 3" and this thread came up.

The only people you found who agreed were in a 10 month old thread?
Reply Quote
I played TL2, it was fun for about a week. Melee engineer with the quake attacks and bots was fun.

I never could get into the setting which was pretty bland though, that's a huge thing for me.

D3 held my interest a lot longer with a theme I greatly prefer, and superior skill mechanics even though the execution fell far short of D2's.

It's not anywhere near what an ARPG should be in 2013 though, just the best of a bad lot right now.
Reply Quote
I played TL2, it was fun for about a week. Melee engineer with the quake attacks and bots was fun.

I never could get into the setting which was pretty bland though, that's a huge thing for me.

D3 held my interest a lot longer with a theme I greatly prefer, and superior skill mechanics even though the execution fell far short of D2's.

It's not anywhere near what an ARPG should be in 2013 though, just the best of a bad lot right now.

tl2 is more d2 than d3 ever will be.
I didn't let d3 affect me just by it's title name. I played it and found it to be boring hoping for something to see in Inferno by the time reached Act3 inferno it's just a bucket full of disappointment. Also the 3 earlier difficulties before that was like linear grind with 0 choice building your character. Building your character. Not this templating bullsh!t
Reply Quote
tl2 is more d2 than d3 ever will be.
I didn't let d3 affect me just by it's title name. I played it and found it to be boring hoping for something to see in Inferno by the time reached Act3 inferno it's just a bucket full of disappointment. Also the 3 earlier difficulties before that was like linear grind with 0 choice building your character. Building your character. Not this templating bullsh!t

I don't disagree with any of this. If TL2 and D3 were the only PC games left in the world I would probably keep playing TL2, might pick it up again at some point but I have been much more into other games besides strict ARPGs lately.
Reply Quote
I liked TL2 more than D3. The only downside for my gameplay style was there was too many unique/set items dropping in TL2.
Edited by RockSalt#1639 on 7/26/2013 11:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I got TL2 last Christmas and really enjoyed my Bezerker. It was fun. But i felt the replay just wasnt there. Going through New game plus was more boring for me than going through Nightmare/hell/Inferno. And map works was just boring as hell, going through the same 4-6 maps with slight changes got boring.

In the end, i got to around level 70 on my Bezerker and stopped playing. I try to go back every once in a while, but i feel no joy in going through map works, for farming any area in the game at all.

I stopped playing D3 about 2 months and 120 hours played after it was released and have recently came back (my play time on TL2 was only 22 hours before i got bored). So clearly, D3 does something for me that TL2 doesnt.
Reply Quote
I absolutely agree with major points you made in your post(@KradisZ). Kule should of not been killed, they made him a !@#$ty one dimensional character. Killing Cain was a sad choice and in the worst of ways. TL2 is cartoony as %^-* and that is why I hate it. Graphics aren't my main concern but if I am going to look at a game for hours, I hate looking at cartoons. Part of the reason I stopped playing WOW (the other being patch 3.0 and the !@#$ty nerfs). But from a game mechanic stand-point, even TL1 beats D3. D3 has no choice in stats or anything else meaningful. No matter which skills you pick they are the same as other classes at their core. Cool downs suck (teleport).

I personally find the graphics of D2 to be better than TL.

Another thing I think Diablo fans fail to realize.. balance wasn't the issue of Diablo 2. Yeah it had balancing issues but the players of the game found ways around it and still had fun making awesome character builds. The imbalance allowed for more unforeseen benefits. Uber killers, hammerdins(and other pally builds). They completely dumbed the crafting down in D3 making it feel like I have no real options. Diablo 2 had so many crafting options I don't even think I've fully utilized the system and I've played the game for years. Runewords were nice... 3 different types of gems was nice too, this annoying drop in the bucket variation of gems really does suck in D3 and all it does is drain my gold for marginal benefit.

Blizzard has balanced D3 into the grave and now everything is proportional which is what I DON'T like. No classes are truly difference.

I had high hopes because one of the lead designers of the ORIGINAL Fallout worked on the lore/background. I'm not sure who came up with D3's story, but its pretty simplistic and %^-*ty. I highly doubt Leonard could of come up with such a failure after influencing one of the great turn based RPG's ever made. The project lead seems to be the one to blame.

Bind to account items suck too.

They are now getting rid of the of the Auction house which I see as a huge problem. My major concern with Diablo 2 is that I had to deal with !@#$ty %^- D2JSP.ORG and their crappy unregulated economy. Near the end of Diablo 2, less and less people used Runes/Soj's/items to trade. If you really wanted something good you had to use forum gold from Njag.

Now with them getting rid of the Auction house which was the cure to crappy sites like D2JSP which negatively impacted D2's economy is back. They tried to fix Diablo 2's short comings and now they are going back and nothing is fixed. Now we are back where we left off except for the fact that Diablo 2 was a BIGGER/LONGER/UNCUT. Overall... Diablo 2 was just much more massive and you don't have to join a new game to change acts or deal with extremely small levels. Boss fights were actually good and fun. Baal runs kicked *!@! 8 player games (I was hoping for 10+).

I don't agree with most legit players though. I think Botting enriched the Diablo 2 community and made it so anyone could level up a character to the point that they would have the ability to do what they wanted. If they were good, their characters were good, if not.. oh well. By the end of Diablo 2 they fixed so many things and gave us so many more options. I was hoping for more of those types of things.
Edited by goffy59#1139 on 12/6/2013 12:57 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]