Diablo® III

The Definitive Sustained-Archon Guide

hehe ok good luck with it...will try too with my sub 200k dps and see how it goes!
so i tried the bliz/hydra route, and i ended up back to the fork lightning bliz/hydra route, with scramble. it works, but now the problem is survival. being quick with wormhole and scramble means you're going to be playing recklessly. and i found myself dying more ofthen than i'd like on mp1. i guess i've been taking the archon bonus for granted and not realizing archon defense bonus is a contributing factor also in making this build a smoother process.

if i drop to mp0, the time savings will be negated by the bonus on mp2. so for now, archon>blitz hydra...hey , i just came up with cool name for that build :)

Blitz Hydra
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UiQSTl!XZY!ZaZZYb

i can see this being successful for someone with high defense. and skorn might actually be better for this.
Blizzard has slow damage. Some well-geared cm/ww wizards can use meteor shower on MP0-1 for very fast xp as they have naturally high defense and apoc. I saw someone a few weeks ago that was flying through levels; I'll see if I can dig the build up.
86 Worgen Druid
hey i was wondering if i could get some input now what gear i should good for to make some up grades. i am doing mp2 with 90% up and mp 3 about 70%. i got about 120k ish. thnx for any input :D
Sorry, I cant help your Worgen Druid...

Golden rule:

- Do not let your ego dictate which MP level you choose to run.
There is no shame in running at MP1, it's a shame to run 'archon build' in MP5 and struggling to keep archon up.

- If there's a choice between 100% archon uptime and 80% archon uptime, downgrade your MP and choose 100% uptime. The xp/mf bonus is so negligible that 100% uptime is the clear choice in terms of efficiency.
So I have been trying this build at Act 3 MP 0 (usually Alkaizer runs):
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#cmXjST!fgY!YcaacY

My question is what is the best way to maintain mob density and keep my Archon up time? I can kill trash and elites no problem in Archon mode but then as I walk looking for the next pack the timer usually wears off and even with Critical Mass it takes a while to reset the cooldown with Arcane Orb. I only have 12% movement speed from my boots. Is it better to try and get an extra 12% from Lacuni's Prowlers or from Tyrael's Might? I think the majority of monsters in Act 3 are demons and therefore Tyrael's Might could be more affordable than Lacuni's?
lol this should be better, i wasn't looking. any way i know i just wanted advice on gear i should go for
Edited by acidkillaz#1225 on 11/15/2012 9:09 AM PST
So I have been trying this build at Act 3 MP 0 (usually Alkaizer runs):
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#cmXjST!fgY!YcaacY

My question is what is the best way to maintain mob density and keep my Archon up time? I can kill trash and elites no problem in Archon mode but then as I walk looking for the next pack the timer usually wears off and even with Critical Mass it takes a while to reset the cooldown with Arcane Orb. I only have 12% movement speed from my boots. Is it better to try and get an extra 12% from Lacuni's Prowlers or from Tyrael's Might? I think the majority of monsters in Act 3 are demons and therefore Tyrael's Might could be more affordable than Lacuni's?

I have experimented every rune of our primary and secondary spells, and arcane orb is not very efficient with archon build. It's nice that you have 30apoc so AP may not be a problem for you, but the CM proc is poor with almost every wizard spell, so you'd better forget about "refresh" archon but focus more on "maintain" it.

I've never tried 12% MS for archon but I guess it will definitely affect your efficiency. With Tyreal+rare bracers, you probably lose ~50 int 8% ias, but gain 75AR 4% elite dmg 10% demon damage compared to Zuni+Lacuni, without counting the random affixes. Since Lacuni with useful random affixes would be much more expensive, Tyreal is a good choice at this moment.

Act 3 has the highest mob density in the game, but still restricted to certain areas ofc. I think there was a discussion about the best routes in previous pages or another thread. For myself, I start from Azmo checkpoint and clear Core-Curse 1-Damn 1 for 5NV, and then go to Keep 2-Stonefort-Skycrown-Rakkis-FoS-Crater 1-Crater 2. Skip Stonefort if you don't care the key.
I've been having a LOT of fun with this Perma Archon build. I am using an Alkazier type route that leaves me with extra Archon time 100% of the time on MP1. What this means is that, for the most part, my optional skills are irrelevant as the majority of the run is done in Vanilla archon (LS weapon is essential here):

-- Start Entrance to Azmodan checkpoint and run core of arreat back to WP (hoping for 2-3 elites on the way.
-- Portal to Tower of Damned level 1 and do the circle (again hoping for 2-3 elites)
-- Portal to barracks 3, killing an elite or 2 on the way to finding barracks 2 entrance
(you can skip this if you already have NV5 if you'd like)

at this point you almost always have NV5... and that was the point of starting this way, to get NV5 before barracks 2 which is chock full of trash mobs (and plenty of Nv5 MF checks to drop legendaries). You may find that keeping up archon during that first part is not always possible if the density isn't there, but once you get to barracks 2, the rest of the run is all Archon with leftover at the end.

-- Do barracks 2, if you come to a dead end, TP and portal to Barracks 1 and take the door to continue farming barracks 2 from the other entrance.
-- Port to Bridge of Korsikk... do the fields of slaughter and Rakki's crossing going up to portal
-- Rakki's portal to Barracks 1 and clear

if you do this right, you will have 2-4 minutes of leftover archon which you can use to do arreat craters, skycrown, etc. at your discretion to maximize full NV of XP and MF. I did these runs yesterday and was able to go from P83 to P84 in much faster time than I had been doing in the past.

Ignore all but legendary drops (if you like 63s, know the names so you can grab them by that and don't have to alt-click them). When faced with a dead end, it's often more efficient to TP back and continue with the next leg of the route instead of retracing. The point of this route is Paragon and item farming. XP goes up very fast per time and legendary drops per time are VERY good as well!

I did an hour this morning and got 3 legendary and one set drop (all garbage, but hey... that beam of orange from the sky is always exciting!)
Thanks for the tips. I am now trying out this build:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#WmXjST!Yfg!YcaacY

A friend helped me out by switching 5 pieces of gear for only 8 million and I'm able to maintain Archon mode for most of the time. 24% movement speed definitely helps. I've only tried Act 3 MP 0 with this new gear set and build and have yet to try out MP 1 but I definitely feel that it's faster than CM farming.
I'm interested in trying out this build for Alkaizer runs to quickly increase my paragon levels... if anyone more familiar with the build could look at my gear and give me feedback on some stuff it would be appreciated.

Specifically, I'd like to know:

1) Can I do this with the gear I've got now?
2) If not, what should I look at replacing?
3) What stats I should focus on?

For quick reference, I'm running CM/WW and am *just* at all of the breakpoints- 2.74 AS, 40% cc w/scoundrel, 19 APOC, etc. I find it good for keywarden runs at MP 5-6 with what I've got now, and would really just be interested in MP0 Alkaizer runs with a sustained archon build.

Thanks fellow Wizards!
you should be fine doing mp0, maybe mp1.

primary focus should be getting life leech weapon.
Would you recommend a 2h or 1h and keep my source? Should I worry about keeping APOC or can I lose it and go down to just the APOC I get from my Storm Crow?
you dont need any apoc once you know how to sustain archon efficiently.
you can get rid of storm crow too, go for raw dps, andariel visage is cheap dps.

2h or 1h dont matter, whatever your budget allows, just make sure it has leech.
2h = cheaper
1h = more expensive end game gear
Thanks for the tips. I am now trying out this build:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#WmXjST!Yfg!YcaacY

A friend helped me out by switching 5 pieces of gear for only 8 million and I'm able to maintain Archon mode for most of the time. 24% movement speed definitely helps. I've only tried Act 3 MP 0 with this new gear set and build and have yet to try out MP 1 but I definitely feel that it's faster than CM farming.

Nice that it worked out for you. Your DPS is definitely fine to do MP1. The only problem is you have borderline resistance and no LS on your weapon. RD packs in MP1 will be a big problem for you. Once you upgrade weapon and switch to prismatic armor you will be good for MP1. Archon farming is at least twice the speed of CM because I was also a CM wiz until 1.0.5 :P

I'm interested in trying out this build for Alkaizer runs to quickly increase my paragon levels... if anyone more familiar with the build could look at my gear and give me feedback on some stuff it would be appreciated.

Specifically, I'd like to know:

1) Can I do this with the gear I've got now?
2) If not, what should I look at replacing?
3) What stats I should focus on?

For quick reference, I'm running CM/WW and am *just* at all of the breakpoints- 2.74 AS, 40% cc w/scoundrel, 19 APOC, etc. I find it good for keywarden runs at MP 5-6 with what I've got now, and would really just be interested in MP0 Alkaizer runs with a sustained archon build.

Thanks fellow Wizards!

I used my 1.0.4 CM gears for archon and it was an easy transition because I had almost NO IAS :P It's much harder for a 1.0.5 CM gear set though.

My 2 cents:
1. Get a rare helm like mine to improve AR.
2. Focus more on CD instead of IAS on jewelry.
3. Get a LS chant wand.

Your Inna+Lacuni are enough for 24% MS now but they are not optimized for defense. So later you may want to switch to rare pants+Zuni boots given you already have a Zuni ring.
you dont need any apoc once you know how to sustain archon efficiently.
you can get rid of storm crow too, go for raw dps, andariel visage is cheap dps.

2h or 1h dont matter, whatever your budget allows, just make sure it has leech.
2h = cheaper
1h = more expensive end game gear

Thanks! You've been very helpful, I'll be sure to come back and let you guys know how it's going :)
Here's a question for forum members to help me out.

I am currently using zuni boots and ring to get the INT130 bonus. At this moment I am thinking of switching to nat ring/boot set to get the cc7 bonus.

Besides the cost (budget 120m on asia server to get good decent gear), I am wondering if it is worth the effort. I kinda drool over the cc7 bonus. Current am at cc39.5 unbuffed.

I am in asia server so my profile is in korean...... you will need to "interpret" it a bit. LOL.

http://kr.battle.net/d3/ko/profile/LUCSAMI-6650/hero/14926109

So the question is: any members here tried both and which set do they think is superior for archon?

Thanks in advance.
What are the best unique weapon choices for this build?
Say the best of the best, and a decent budget option.

I've seen echoing fury and butcher's cleaver thrown around, any others?
lucsami and sarbashar, there isnt any superior set equip for archon. just meet the minimum requirements and get dps anyway you can. whether it's ias/crit/crit dmg, doesnt matter. go for most affordable +dps whereever u can.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]