Diablo® III

The Definitive Sustained-Archon Guide

Hi, i'm currently using your build and found it to be great, currently farming MP2 easily with 95% archon uptime, just wondering what should my next item upgrade be, i know for a fact a weapon with lifesteal would be nice but i found using the one i've got and using the 1.5% lifesteal rune works better (tested with another similar weap, with a bit less dmg)

Also any other advice is welcomed, thanks.
Currently farming MP2 pretty well. Just got this new weapon that is making reflect mobs a complete joke. What gear should I upgrade next?
11/19/2012 03:33 PMPosted by Mule50
Currently farming MP2 pretty well. Just got this new weapon that is making reflect mobs a complete joke. What gear should I upgrade next?

Zunimassa boots or a cheap Witching Hour. Would be nice if the weapon was physical damage only to better benefit from % elemental damage.
I'm looking for advice here.

I can farm MP1 easily, but would like to improve to be able to do MP3/4 farming. What gear should I get to make this happen? Also any suggestions on the skills I'm using would be great, just want to make sure I'm doing this right. I have a little less than 100M to invest.
Just wanted to check, are the suggested DPS and EHP values for each MP level supposed to be post-buffs and when Archon is activated?
11/20/2012 10:54 AMPosted by Mushin
Just wanted to check, are the suggested DPS and EHP values for each MP level supposed to be post-buffs and when Archon is activated?

From my experience they are recommended post-buff values. But I recently found if you want to focus on maximized xp per hour, better use the recommended value for the next MP level, e.g. I get more xp from MP1 than MP2 with 160k dps.
From my experience they are recommended post-buff values. But I recently found if you want to focus on maximized xp per hour, better use the recommended value for the next MP level, e.g. I get more xp from MP1 than MP2 with 160k dps.

Okay, so at about 125k DPS and 330k EHP (in Archon) you think I should still farm MP1?
Edited by Mushin#2197 on 11/21/2012 4:09 AM PST
I'm not sure if this was covered here but I'll ask anyway.

At what Quest should I start to farm act 3?

I thought I saw that you go through and kill cydae then go to azmodan. You can't start at the azmodan quest because cydae is already dead so she's not there to kill. So am I to assume you start the at the quest where you kill cydae and then work forward to Azmodan?

Thanx!
mushin, dps values are post buff. your numbers are ok for mp2, make a push periodically after you get gear upgrades. if you are dying more often, or run takes alot longer, fall back to mp1.

dnrcmo, start at quest Kill Azmodan so you get access to all waypoints. Bosses are not worth killing, in terms of xp or loot.
11/21/2012 01:12 AMPosted by Mushin

Okay, so at about 125k DPS and 330k EHP (in Archon) you think I should still farm MP1?

For the sake of efficiency, yes. I'm still having occasional trouble with RD Tremors in MP1 with 160k DPS and 475k EHP in Archon. My philosophy is that any death is not acceptable in serious farming runs :P
I'm not sure if this was covered here but I'll ask anyway.

At what Quest should I start to farm act 3?

I thought I saw that you go through and kill cydae then go to azmodan. You can't start at the azmodan quest because cydae is already dead so she's not there to kill. So am I to assume you start the at the quest where you kill cydae and then work forward to Azmodan?

Thanx!

Don't worry about boss kills. I start either from Keep 3 or Arreat Core. Quest is always the "Kill Azmodan" one. You're looking for 5 stacks quickly (Core -> Tower 1, or Keep 3 -> Tower 1, generally), then off to clear Crater 1, Crater 2, Keep 2, Bridge -> Rakkis, then maybe Skycrown. Add in Stonefort if you want your shot at a key.
Any CM want MP10 farm group ? add me totalsiege#1785
I have a few tips I wanted to add.

About what to pick up, it doesn't matter anymore. Some folks say that you shouldn't pickup low level armor but if you get a sweet roll no one will care that the armor is 100 lower than normal. And weapons don't seem to have much difference in level. I only pickup 60 and above, but if you want to make the "right" decision of what to pickup, check em all and drop anything under a 200dps base. Even at 200 though, you have to get a lucky roll. The easiest way to see evidence of this is to look at ilvls on the AH. The only class stuff I pick up though is Wiz only.

This is the tip I really wanted to add though. If this was already mentioned, please forgive the repeat. When in archon mode, I used to stand in one place and laser beam the room or the doorway or whatever. I had my technique that I thought made the process go as quickly as possible. Turns out I was wrong. The fastest way to kill is to "scoot and shoot". You shoot your laser for a little less than a second, then walk forward for a second or so, then repeat over and over, always moving in the direction that will take you to where you're trying to go. If something gets into melee range, use your aoe, or take a second and melee it. If things get behind you it's fine, just kill what's in front of you then do a quick shot behind you and they'll all be dead, since they'll all be damaged already. Also, while your beam is the best weapon for sustained dps, your melee is the best for single shot because if you crit, you do a stupid amount of damage. I've never gotten a 900k crit with my laser, I get them all the time with my melee.

The reason this works so well isn't that you're always scooting forward. It's that your beam does damage for 1 tick after you stop shooting. When you spray the room while standing in place, you're doing far more damage than it takes to kill what's there. So instead you do a quick blast and everything easy to kill dies instantly, as opposed to you beaming them for an extra second or so when they're already toast and just haven't fallen over yet. Also, your beam is wider than the graphic. So when you're sweeping a room with your beam, you're covering more area than you need to. But if you move it faster, certain hits won't register so you end up having to sweep backwards as well. This technique will take minutes off your run, and it's much more fun than just standing still. If your defense is good, you can walk straight into the middle of a pack as you aoe, melee and laser and you'll be fine. Try it, it's the best technique I've found.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: One more thing. You can activate your melee while holding down your laser button. It can make things got a tad faster.
Edited by Shelrabbi#1366 on 11/21/2012 10:19 PM PST
[Optmized Archon Run]
Damned
Core
Cursed(skip if full NV(5))
keep2
crater2
skycrown
crater1
rakkis
field of Slaughter
stonefort(if you want key)

I agree with this. I do skip cursed regardless. By skipping i can not only sustain archon, but sustain standard buffs as well. I do skycrown right after damned because its leet heavy so im not killing with out nv 5 for very long.

I sometimes skip crater 1 too. Because its monster density is so random. When i do it, i port after rakkis cause i have just under half the life left in buffs by that time it can mostly carry me through crater 1.

Skycrown takes most of the life out my buffs. So if I follow it with crater 1 or 2 ill either lose archon if i refresh or lose buffs if i don't.

So the run im usually doing is...

damned
core
skycrown
keep 2
crater 2
rakkis
fields of slaughter
[Optmized Archon Run]
Damned
Core
Cursed(skip if full NV(5))
keep2
crater2
skycrown
crater1
rakkis
field of Slaughter
stonefort(if you want key)

I agree with this. I do skip cursed regardless. By skipping i can not only sustain archon, but sustain standard buffs as well. I do skycrown right after damned because its leet heavy so im not killing with out nv 5 for very long.

I sometimes skip crater 1 too. Because its monster density is so random. When i do it, i port after rakkis cause i have just under half the life left in buffs by that time it can mostly carry me through crater 1.

Skycrown takes most of the life out my buffs. So if I follow it with crater 1 or 2 ill either lose archon if i refresh or lose buffs if i don't.

So the run im usually doing is...

damned
core
skycrown
keep 2
crater 2
rakkis
fields of slaughter

I forgot to mention by doing it this way you can keep sustained archon with standard buff up without the use of CM.

I refresh before skycrown, before keep 2, just before end of keep 2, before rakkis, and before fields of slaughter...
Must have passives:
CM - for resetting Archon quickly
Glass Cannon - DPS

wrong. you dont NEED glass cannon at all if you have enough base dps. blur tends to be more effective for more people in general trying to gear up to get to that magic EHP point. you need some major EHP to drop blur in favor of glass cannon. but i agree that it is BiS passive wise at end game...refer to edit #2

so i would not call glass cannon a "must have", the only "must have" is critical mass.

edit- you also didn't mention anything about pickup radius? that is a key element in archon farming.

edit2- ideally passive wise, you want: CM, glass cannon (assuming you have the EHP), and galvanizing ward. this is the best end game archon farming combo for dps/longest uptime of archon without having to pop out of archon to rebuff yourself, and risking doing it too early and not having archon up.
Edited by sHockz#1347 on 11/22/2012 5:03 AM PST
at this point, the only passive that i feel i NEED is galvanizing ward. others i can really do without .

the point of my guide is, i supply the options, pick what's best for YOU. what works best for me doesnt mean it's best for you.

if you want cookie cutter: cm, cannon, ward is tried and true.

but dont be afraid to experiment , maybe you'll make a breakthrough and improve your run.
Really enjoying this guide. Was drawn to archon from the beginning of my wiz, but this really made it a lot more fun. Any comments on what to upgrade next? I am currently doing MP3 trying to get the pieces to ultimately make hellfire ring.

Thanks in advance.
Having a pretty good/easy time with Archon build...just can't seem to find any upgrades that aren't insane in price. I don't think my gear is even very good but it seems any upgrade is 25m+

Can anyone take a look at my gear and see what would be an ideal upgrade/what to look for? Been looking at getting trifecta gloves but its VERY expensive to get int/vit on them as well.

Obviously, the hellfire ring is on for xp purposes.
For passives, I like to use Glass Cannon, Blur, and Temporal Flux for Vanilla Archon runs (keep up archon the entire time without need for refresh and losing 2+ minutes of saved up time). GC for DPS, Blur for defense, and Temp Flux because Archon damage is considered arcane. When running vanilla archon, after the first 4 minutes of the run, some of those others are no longer useful, but these work for the entire run.

If your Archon is coming up and down during your runs, i agree with eLin: CM, GC and GW.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]