Diablo® III

The Definitive Sustained-Archon Guide

any suggestions about damage reflect?

I am right under 150k dps buffed and damage reflect is a minor problem in MP2, but in MP3 it will destroy me in a matter of seconds.
blood magic rune instead of force weapon, prismatic rune instead of pinpoint, and more phys res and or all res if possible :)
Edited by Trout#1263 on 1/2/2013 10:42 PM PST
any suggestions about damage reflect?

I am right under 150k dps buffed and damage reflect is a minor problem in MP2, but in MP3 it will destroy me in a matter of seconds.

Your resist is actually fine (and will be more than fine as you get more int, your int is low). Use blood magic, maybe get a bit more armor, but I think what will help most is increasing your health pool to 40k. It will give you more of a cushion to absorb damage until a health orb drops.

If necessary, target only one mob at a time. This won't lessen the incoming damage relative to your mitigation, but it will slow things down. Instead of taking 4x damage and then having 4 health globes drop all at once, you'll only take 1x damage and then be able to heal it with 1 health globe dropping.
This is a great guide. I used to open up chests, but now I have to constantly remind myself that in the long run it's all about time and efficiency. I'm not very efficient yet, so I am only netting between 35-40mill exp an hour even though I am in archon 90% of the time. I am only using a exp gem in my helm and a hellfire for bonus exp though, no leorics or cains set. I do mp4 and the path I usually take is:

Skycrown
Crater1
Rakkis
Fields of Slaughter
Keeps Level 1
Core 2
Stonefort (for Key Warden)

I usually get 4-5 stacks by the time I am done with Skycrown, so I am happy with my route, but I feel like I'm still not being efficient. Is 35-40mill exp/hr good enough w/o leorics or cains? I'm at 285k dps and doing mp4.
Adding a new FAQ section:

How do I deal with Reflect Damage packs?

In order of effectiveness:
- Get Life Steal , via weapon and Force Weapon(Blood Magic)
- LoH is not ideal, but it helps nevertheless.
- Increase your EHP (+vit, +life, +armor, AR, physical resist)
- Shoot 1 RD mob at a time.
- Bring to area with other regular mobs, and drain trash to fill backup or hope for health pot drop.
- Life on kill items

I saw so and so claim they get 80m xp per hr, how do they do it?!!!

First I like to say, a lot of people exaggerate their xp/hr.
For example, they do a "10 minute run", hit a good streak of mobs and get 10mil xp. They stop the clock here.
And they claim, well, 6x10 = 60m xp per hr.

Then they go about id/sell/sort items and reload game, which takes 5 mins.
Also, due to zone variance, doing same run, same route will net different xp values, upto 20% variance.
On their next run, doing exact same route, might actually only net 8m per run.
So their 'effective xp per hr' is actually 4x10 = 40m per hr instead of the 60/hr that is claimed.

So how do I increase my xp per hr?

In order of effectiveness:
- Get xp bonus items, leoric/hellfire ring on you and your follower, ruby gem in helm, cain set.
- Increase your dps. faster kill = faster runs = more xp.
- Pickup less stuff. id/sell sessions are very time consuming and inteferes with your xp session. When you stop picking up items/rares or even gold. Your runs will be MUCH faster, resulting in more xp.
- Increase your MP ONLY after you've done facerolling previous MP. Most people push up in MP and only end up hurting their xp/hr. Your optimal MP might very well be MP0.

kill rate > xp items > dps > mp
Just want to mention that I've personally experimented with the cain set/non-cain set build (with the ruby, leoric/hellfire as well) and the exp results were about the same (~60m/hr averaged, incl loot) given that I had to drop an mp level to run cain's and cain's set is riskier when meeting up with combination-bad-affix mobs. So end of the day, I run w/o the cain's set :P
Edited by Carnac#1372 on 1/4/2013 10:39 AM PST
Hi,

after your suggestion I bought some gear. I'm not still there, but now I can sustain archon through MP0 most of the time - I still have problems with reflect damage, not enough to choose blood magic though. I gave teleport archon a try 'cause it's not unusual that I lose archon while running through empty parts of the map (mostly in damned and core - that normal?), but I should probably go back to power archon, right now.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/it/profile/Kaleidos-1117/hero/8594092

Would you please suggest me next improvement? Should I give away the triumvirate and get a skorn? That would make me really sorry, the triumvirate gives me a lot of dps... One hand weapons don't have more than 3.00 life steal, will that be enough with blood magic, at higher MP levels? Or should I keep my weapon and get more critical hit chance or life steal on some other piece of gear? Right now I manage to make your run in 25-30 minutes, 14m exp...
thx
Edited by Kaleidos#1117 on 1/17/2013 3:16 AM PST
I was only 190k EHP and was doing MP5 with 360k dps. Now I am 210k EHP. If I am careful I do not die. I also do not use teleport.

Have decent defence though.
Hi,

after your suggestion I bought some gear. I'm not still there, but now I can sustain archon through MP0 most of the time - I still have problems with reflect damage, not enough to choose blood magic though. I gave teleport archon a try 'cause it's not unusual that I lose archon while running through empty parts of the map (mostly in damned and core - that normal?), but I should probably go back to power archon, right now.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/it/profile/Kaleidos-1117/hero/8594092

Would you please suggest me next improvement? Should I give away the triumvirate and get a skorn? That would make me really sorry, the triumvirate gives me a lot of dps... One hand weapons don't have more than 3.00 life steal, will that be enough with blood magic, at higher MP levels? Or should I keep my weapon and get more critical hit chance or life steal on some other piece of gear? Right now I manage to make your run in 25-30 minutes, 14m exp...
thx

The only place to get life steal is on a weapon and a one-hand with blood magic is optimal. More than ~3% life steal shouldn't be necessary once your AR and armor are high enough. More crit on your gear will help with sustaining archon. In regards to xp, you'll want a socket in your helm for a ruby.
With the upcoming MP experience increase in 1.0.7, will MP0 still be the sweetspot?

I'm thinking maybe MP2-3 will be more efficient than MP0 once you reach 200k DPS.

What does everyone else think? Anyone have any experience playing the PTR?
Short answer: Instead of using the DPS2 column in Elinminator's chart, use the DPS1 column.

The xp/hour curve will more closely match the loot/hour curve after 1.0.7. Higher MP will be more desirable, and the highest MP you can do without dying or excessive kiting is going to be the best, up to MP 7. Xp/hour will drop off in MP 8-10 regardless of gear. As always, take your own xp measurements.

The only definitive difference I see is that leoric's signet becomes much less valuable, as swapping it out can often allow for an increase in MP that will match or surpass the xp bonus on the ring.
Interesting point you raise with the Leoric's. I'm thinking, given my DPS/EHP, I will either run MP2 with LS or MP3 with no LS.

I did some testing yesterday and time killing mobs in MP3 is not increased by such a great margin, yet the experience increase coming in the next patch will likely make higher MP farming more effective even if the run takes a little bit longer. It's not like we'll be running MP10 anyways. YMMV.

Will test further once the patch is out.
Is it possible to make from my SNS wizard an Archon wizzard by changing my 1H and OH only? I mean to be able to farm effectively at MP4-5 levels.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/pl/profile/Numerian-2850/hero/24510902
Edited by Numerian#2850 on 2/26/2013 5:01 PM PST
Numerian, Looking at your gear, you should easily be able to switch over to Archon by switching just your weapon and offhand. With just under 160k dps, if you switch to a black weapon and a triumvirate along with skills, you should up your dps by another 20k easily if not more. After that, it'll be up to you which MP level you feel most comfortable with or find most efficient. Good luck!
Is there an updated build list with a gear guide for sustained archon? I looked through the thread but only found the 1.05 guide. Am I blind?
Is it possible to run this build in mp10? viable too?
Which build should I use when playing with a group? Since I'm geared towards archon this rules out CM-wiz.
MP10 Archon is limited to 3 areas: Keep Depths 2, Rakkis Crossing, and Crypt of the Ancients. You need 400K DPS and you focus on killing trash if you can't kill elites (RD on MP10 isn't worth your time).
hello all. i hate to mention this to u but i am trying to optimize my character and not sure the best way to go about it. i noticed that u all mentioned lifesteal. i have been having a lot of issues with life steal as of late. i have life on hit, but that is not truly life steal. i still die but not as often. unless i surrounded by a ton of mobs. could someone kindly look at my gear and help me figure out my next steps?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/hyperzero550-1528/hero/31420033
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]