Diablo® III

The Definitive Sustained-Archon Guide

Couple points:
1) Galvanizing ward is not crucial. If you're in constant archon state and can't refresh your EA, simply cancel your archon, pop EA, then go back into Archon and go about your business as usual. Archon cancel is used too infrequently.
2) Fields of Slaughter has good exp and monster density. Run the big circle around that area.
3) If you are using teleport, do not put it on your right click. I can't recount the number of stupid deaths when I accidentally teleported into an elite pack when Archon runs out.

in his defense he might have been like me and simply not realized you could cancel archon with a right-click... it's not exactly well advertised.
but do you really want to cancel your 50 second archon duration just to reset EA. there's nothing better to use anyway
I'm not running sustained archon, in that my archon drops and I have to restart it.

But at only 68k ish dps and 20 APoC, 550ish RA, I'm able to farm act 3 and get more high level items than act 1 + MF.

I die a lot (something I'm hoping to fix with just a couple upgrades), and I get less gold from drops, but the items from act 3 are so much better.

From one casual to another, don't worry about matching what these people do. You don't need 100k to use archon and improve your situation. I had to learn that the hard way.
I kick archon into my CM build now and then. It cuts the white trash faster and sometimes seems to make it more fun to play since it adds a bit of diversity. I think using the slot for something else is more efficient overall though, so I just do it for a change of pace.

When I use it, I cancel out of archon often (in A3 anyway) - especially since with the CM build I typically can go back into it again almost right away. The biggest pain for me is that I don't have lifesteal on my primary (just LOH), so I end up swapping to a 2H and back sometimes and having basically no life gain other times.
Couple points:
1) Galvanizing ward is not crucial. If you're in constant archon state and can't refresh your EA, simply cancel your archon, pop EA, then go back into Archon and go about your business as usual. Archon cancel is used too infrequently.
2) Fields of Slaughter has good exp and monster density. Run the big circle around that area.
3) If you are using teleport, do not put it on your right click. I can't recount the number of stupid deaths when I accidentally teleported into an elite pack when Archon runs out.

how do you cancel your archon form?
Couple points:

how do you cancel your archon form?

Haha took me some time to figure this out but you right click the archon logo haha.

Anyways, I've been running archon wiz forever with 92k dps and I have zero problems sustaining. I find myself running out of prismatic before my archon dies and just reset archon form.

Trying to get enough resists so I don't need prismatic. As of the moment I feel like there is a big drop on my survivability when I lose prismatic even in archon mode.
@OP, if 90% in archon form, you think CM deserves the slot as a passive? Just wondering if you'd benefit more from blur or something.
09/21/2012 11:25 AMPosted by ShadowFrost
@OP, if 90% in archon form, you think CM deserves the slot as a passive? Just wondering if you'd benefit more from blur or something.

Yes, CM is a must because it lowers cooldown of Archon skill itself, making it easier to sustain archon.

Blur is not that useful , most things probably die before reaching you. With enough AR/Armor, blur is redundant, tho elite phasebeasts would sometimes make you wish you had blur. If I must takee 4th skill, it'd be Evocation for even more cooldown reduction.
Edited by eLINminator#1776 on 9/21/2012 12:43 PM PDT
Here are more Advanced tips as I get more experience with build:

- ignore single mobs, especially the "fatty" types, i.e. Tremors and Golgors. You waste a lot of time just DPSing it down. Unless there's immediate danger, I only stop to fight when there are 3 or more mobs, just keep moving!

- know your limits, have a good understanding of how much punishment you can take, sometimes it's best to stand there continually laser beaming, because you stop dpsing when you move to dodge an attack, losing valuable seconds.

Here are some sample scenarios:
1) there are 20 mobs on screen, you see a couple fireballs headed your way. You stand your ground and absorb the hit , knowing that the lifesteal would kick you right back up.
2) You are laser beaming 3 Heralds and all 3 begin to launch their poison attack at you, which would probably be lethal if you just stood there for couple seconds. You hold your ground and continue to attack, because as soon as they die, their tentacle attack will disappear. It takes about 2 seconds for Heralds to windup and tentacle to reach you, in that time you should have already lasered it down.
3) A tremor/golgor is winding up to attack you. You move away, because even if their attacks are not lethal , they have a knockback that'd stop you from dpsing. All the more reason to avoid them.

- position yourself so that you are hitting at least 2 mobs with your laser beam, move if you have must to establish better position. this is especially critical on elite packs. you need to be laser beaming most if not all elite mobs at once.

- the archon beam has extreme reach and can cut through many obstacles that'd normally be blocked. e.g. enemy Waller's walls, stairs. Take advantage of this so that you're hitting them and they have no way to hit you back.

- dont start attacking as soon as you see something on screen, i walk up almost until melee range then start laser beaming, this way my beam hits more stuff.
Edited by eLINminator#1776 on 9/21/2012 1:17 PM PDT
Okay, I have to ask, how well does that puzzle ring on the templar work?
09/21/2012 01:11 PMPosted by Myriad
Okay, I have to ask, how well does that puzzle ring on the templar work?

haha, i didnt think people would chk my follower gear also :)

well, here's how puzzle ring works, when you suffer dmg, there's chance a goblin pops out. so whenever templar takes dmg, there's a chance goblin will pop out. while mobs dont actively attack the templar, he just takes dmg for just 'being in the way'. Right now I get about 1-2 gobs per run out of templar.

I just started doing this, so far I've gotten all crap from the templar gob drops. I figure one good drop and it's all worth it. I've read that people have gotten Set/Legend items from this gob, while some claim it's not possible.
Updated original post with

Gear Check
Skills breakdown
Areas to Run

more generic tips
View profile
Everything in the guide I find informative and accurate and coincide with my experiences of running archon.

Unlike another misleading post claiming LOH to be essential to archon build during archon downtime.

Highly recommend this guide for people who are thinking about switching to archon.
Very good guide sir. I'm using a similar build and it's pretty awesome. I have 60k unbuffed dps but it's still doable. Yes, 100k is required for it to be really efficient.

I never tried Skycrown Battlement for some reason and that might be a good addition to my route.

I would recommend a 2h weapon for this build unless you are VERY rich. 6% life steal on 2h weapons is awesome for survivability.

Only thing I disagree with is RoF instead of Storm Chaser. Storm Chaser is OP as hell. Just take Diamond Skin with it if getting into melee is a problem. I can abuse SC even without any Arcane Power on crit. If you DO have APoC, SC would feel like cheating. They are nerfing it next patch but enjoy it while it lasts.

After the patch, storm armor with scramble instead of prismatic and teleport rune on Archon are things to consider as it will be even more important keep Archon up. It won't be so easy to recast Archon after SC nerf and we will lose a lot of efficiency if we lose Archon with Archon still on cooldown. Of course, gear is a major issue to consider here. I wouldn't drop improved archon for teleport unless I have more than 125k unbuffed dps. Fast traveling doesn't matter if you can't kill fast enough. Similarly, you can't drop prismatic if you are dying.
09/21/2012 11:25 AMPosted by ShadowFrost
@OP, if 90% in archon form, you think CM deserves the slot as a passive? Just wondering if you'd benefit more from blur or something

Not only does it reduce the cooldown on the archon ability, it reduces the cooldown of the Arcane Blast ability. You should be trying to find ways to use more of the arcane blast, since it doesn't stop you from moving. If you can blast stragglers and small packs with it, that's a second or so extra that you don't have to stop for beaming.

A lot of the little things about perma-archon seem nitpicky, but the effeciency comes from those long durations, which are an accumulation of a lot of nitpicky things allowing you to reach more mobs before your timer runs out.
Could you please take a look at my profile and help me find what I can improve? I die a bit sometimes, but it's still the best build I've used so far. I mostly die when I'm not in Archon, and to Reflect Damage when in Archon.

I guess maybe 70k DPS isn't enough because I usually lose my archon on elites.

How much Life steal do I need? Should I get it on my belt?

Is the run speed really necessary? Innas Pants go for around 30 Mill and I only have 11 mill to spend, should I save for these before getting life steal?

Thanks for the help!
I'm a barb and i run with my 170k dps archon friend. My group sprint adds 20% move speed to help him sustain archon and he 1 shots trash and kills elites in close to 5 seconds even with the 75% health buff to enemies. Warcry with its 50% AR buff helps too along with my group ignore pain skill (60% less damage for 5 seconds). We can usually clear act 3 in about 20 minutes.

He's gone for the weekend however so if any high dps archon wiz's wanna do some runs add me :D
Been running archon for a few weeks now after dropping the APOC for hefty dps upgrades.

I personally much prefer peircing orb/hydra to frost/spark.

Sure you lose 10k archon dps, but the coeffic is the same for orb and frost and you get nice mob clearance when you run into some extra health gorgers in the crater.

Also hydra is super handy for those bugged out tremor packs, or when you come up against some nasty phasebeasts, can just drop hydra, stand in a corner and archon them to death. Probably doesnt have quite the same sustainibility, but it means that in downtime your a whole lot more useful for us gentlemen who sit just under 100k or dont want to drop the bankroll for a 150k build.

As for resists, i think 350 should be a bare minimum, but really what your looking at is effective HP, which should be 350k upwards. Can get by on less but its a pain, really hate running though an entire dungeon just to finish off one elite.
I agree with most of the OP, however I don't believe lifesteal is completely necessary. Once you've got enough EHP the globes you inadvertently pick up are enough to keep your health fairly high. I'm able to melt through elites with reflect pretty easily, usually just sipping a potion or grabbing a globe really quick for the ones with a large health pool.

Also, in the PTR they recognized that blood magic (magic weapon rune) is not working with DoT spells (beams - like archon) and I believe that this will be taking the place of force weapon on my bar.
Could you please take a look at my profile and help me find what I can improve? I die a bit sometimes, but it's still the best build I've used so far. I mostly die when I'm not in Archon, and to Reflect Damage when in Archon.

I guess maybe 70k DPS isn't enough because I usually lose my archon on elites.

How much Life steal do I need? Should I get it on my belt?

Is the run speed really necessary? Innas Pants go for around 30 Mill and I only have 11 mill to spend, should I save for these before getting life steal?

Thanks for the help!

you need more dps, more move speed. yes, move speed is just as critical as dps if you want to sustain archon, much of your time is spent moving to next swarm of mobs to fuel your archon.

i think for wiz , life steal can only come from weapon, not belt. Mighty belts with lifesteal is barb only.

my honest opinion is you're not ready for perma archon yet, and less than 50% archon is inefficient i believe. sorry , but this a very high end gear dependent build, i tried upgrading my gear many times for get this build to work before i was successful.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]